Tokyo 2020 News - General

14 hours ago, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

Wimbledon is still currently planned and that's a month before the Olympics.
Wimbledon can't be moved. it has to be on the summer solstice.
My feelings are, move the Olympics and the Earth could be struck by a giant Meteorite.
Theres never a perfect time for anything!!!!!

Wimbledon can't be moved?  Tell that to the folks at Roland Garros who already moved to the fall.  If the virus hasn't stopped spreading by June, let's test that theory and see if Wimbledon can't be moved.  Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

The Earth isn't going to be stuck by a giant meteorite.  But it has been struck by a worldwide pandemic.  And sports history is being altered before our eyes.  The Kentucky Derby has been held every year without interruption since 1875.  This year, for the very first time in the history of the event, it's behind held in late Summer rather than in the Spring.  If an event like that can be moved, then Wimbledon is certainly not immovable.  And neither are the Olympics

5 hours ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

I stille believe and hope, that in july and august we have a more normal world again. BUT the preparation, the qualification etc is so unfair that a postponent is the best way. Then those 2 weeks also are in play for other sports for what they have delayed... For example european championschip in swimming and much other stuff. Decide for 2021, and have time to rearrange the calendar in all sport in good time and give the athletes better and fair preparation around the world. 

For a while, I had been saying to hold it this Summer and hope for the best.  But now, that doesn't seem so advisable.  There are many challenges with a move to 2021, but I believe that decision needs to be made in the best interests of everyone involved, difficult as that would be to pull off

Thomas Bach just said in a radio interview here in Germany that (rough translation) "a cancellation would be the least fair solution". It would "destroy the Olympic dream of 11,000 athletes from 206 NOCs and the Refugee Team" (letting this mention slip in to show the IOC as a beacon of humanity of course). According to him, it's in the best interest of athletes that the Olympics go ahead as planned. Tell that to Hayley Wickenheiser, Andreas Toba, Matthew Pinsent etc.

That man is just unbearable.

@StefanMUC Without having heard what Bach said, what you say sounds like he’s referring to a total cancellation as being the least fair solution - as against a postponement. If holding the games as planned is impossible (which it almost certainly already is), then would you rather they were postponed (either to later this year or to summer 21) or cancelled altogether, for the Olympics to resume in 2024?

53 minutes ago, yoshi said:

@StefanMUC Without having heard what Bach said, what you say sounds like he’s referring to a total cancellation as being the least fair solution - as against a postponement. If holding the games as planned is impossible (which it almost certainly already is), then would you rather they were postponed (either to later this year or to summer 21) or cancelled altogether, for the Olympics to resume in 2024?

He specifically mentioned the games should go ahead as planned. I'm pretty sure they would be postponed (like Euro 2020..21, still called Euro 2020 then), not cancelled altogether.

Question for this group: do more than half the sports have already picked the athletes/teams who have qualified for Tokyo?  If MORE than half have not reached their final qualifiers, then they should just cancel altogether.  If it's less than half the sports (esp. the marquee ones) then they should hold off on a decision until 90 days before the start -- so around April 24, a final decision should be arrived at.  

10 hours ago, Rob. said:

No, Wimbledon is keeping things under review, but they'll be able to cancel relatively quickly, we're not talking 10k athletes.

"While we continue to plan for The Championships at this time, it remains a continuously evolving situation and we will act responsibly, in the best interests of wider society."

They're not saying, "we're going ahead, we could be hit by a meteorite", it's only you saying that. Stop being a wally.

I didn't us the words going ahead

I said " still currently planned " which is the current position from the wimbledon website.

the bit about the meteorite is making the point that move the Olympics and every Olympics from now on will come under pressure for one reason or another.

The Olympics is actually lucky its already in late summer.

I don't like Bach anymore than some of you, but he is not a complete ignoramus who blindly believes that this is going off as planned. Surely they are working with the needed parties, and they are many, to reschedule this and is withholding any comment until everything is set in stone. I just wish they would announce it now and just reset the countdown clock, but this is going to be incredibly complex. I think they will pull it off though (using lots of money to keep many happy) and, barring another situation such as this, the Games will take place in the summer of 2021.

For anyone who can remember back to it - didn't Vancouver 2010 happen right in the middle of the Swine Flu outbreak? And if I remember correctly, like Japan is now in 2020, Canada had the situation under better control than other countries, but still had to welcome in visitors and athletes from countries where that wasn't the case ... What was the difference? I know the vaccine came right around November/December 2009, but again ... only a few months before the Games. Do you think the IOC is (likely wrongfully) equating the two diseases, and thinking "if we made it through Vancouver 2010, which ended up being touted as one of the best Winter Games of all time, we can make it through Tokyo 2020?"

Because I, like many of you, would love to see an on-time Olympics, as I not only have tickets, flights and hotels purchased, but am aware of the enormous scheduling conflict this poses, but Bach's strong position on the fact that the "Games will go on as scheduled" has kept me thinking (mostly because I'm stuck in the house).

3 hours ago, BTHarner said:

I don't like Bach anymore than some of you, but he is not a complete ignoramus who blindly believes that this is going off as planned. Surely they are working with the needed parties, and they are many, to reschedule this and is withholding any comment until everything is set in stone. I just wish they would announce it now and just reset the countdown clock, but this is going to be incredibly complex. I think they will pull it off though (using lots of money to keep many happy) and, barring another situation such as this, the Games will take place in the summer of 2021.

That's my guess as well.  Moving the Olympics requires the collaboration of the Japanese organizers, all the sport federations and the NOCs.  I believe they're working towards making that happen, but they can't say so publicly less someone finds out from the media.  It's a ton of moving parts and something that can't and shouldn't be thrown together in a week.  I think we all agree that Bach's statements to the media with regard to the Olympics happening on schedule are a little misguided.  But I get his point that people shouldn't speculate.  So until there's a plan, what else can they do other than say they're proceeding ahead for this summer?

16 minutes ago, anthonyliberatori said:

For anyone who can remember back to it - didn't Vancouver 2010 happen right in the middle of the Swine Flu outbreak? And if I remember correctly, like Japan is now in 2020, Canada had the situation under better control than other countries, but still had to welcome in visitors and athletes from countries where that wasn't the case ... What was the difference? I know the vaccine came right around November/December 2009, but again ... only a few months before the Games. Do you think the IOC is (likely wrongfully) equating the two diseases, and thinking "if we made it through Vancouver 2010, which ended up being touted as one of the best Winter Games of all time, we can make it through Tokyo 2020?"

Because I, like many of you, would love to see an on-time Olympics, as I not only have tickets, flights and hotels purchased, but am aware of the enormous scheduling conflict this poses, but Bach's strong position on the fact that the "Games will go on as scheduled" has kept me thinking (mostly because I'm stuck in the house).

According to Wikipedia, it lasted from January 2009 through April 2010.  So yes, it did cover the period of the Olympics.  I don't think the IOC is equating the 2.  Pretty sure they're not completely ignorant of all the sporting events that have been cancelled or postponed.  As opposed to swine flu which did no such thing.  That's a stretch for anyone to try and tie the 2 together.

6 hours ago, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

I didn't us the words going ahead

I said " still currently planned " which is the current position from the wimbledon website.

the bit about the meteorite is making the point that move the Olympics and every Olympics from now on will come under pressure for one reason or another.

The Olympics is actually lucky its already in late summer.

Every Olympics already comes under pressure.  2018 in PyeongChang dealt with political tensions between North Korea and South Korea.  2016 had Zika and the water quality in Rio (both of which were complete non-stories).  This is obviously a much bigger issue Tokyo 2020 is dealing with.  But that may in fact result in the Tokyo Olympics being postponed.  No, that would not create additional pressure for future bids as if all of them have to say "well what if there's another viral pandemic."  That's not a reason to think the Olympics have to be held this summer.

German athletes’ union speaker Max Hartung (sabre fencer) announced last night he will not compete if there’s no change to the dates. Since he’s very influential among German athletes, our NOC has a problem now. The first snowball in an avalanche that will bury the IOC, I hope.

4 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

German athletes’ union speaker Max Hartung (sabre fencer) announced last night he will not compete if there’s no change to the dates. Since he’s very influential among German athletes, our NOC has a problem now. The first snowball in an avalanche that will bury the IOC, I hope.

UPDATE: German athletes are apparently planning a vote to happen in the coming days. The outcome seems pretty obvious already.

11 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

According to Wikipedia, it lasted from January 2009 through April 2010.  So yes, it did cover the period of the Olympics.  I don't think the IOC is equating the 2.  Pretty sure they're not completely ignorant of all the sporting events that have been cancelled or postponed.  As opposed to swine flu which did no such thing.  That's a stretch for anyone to try and tie the 2 together.

Exactly what I was thinking, just had to throw the idea out there. I think it's a little ignorant to do such a thing as well.

Question - if the Olympics are moved by a year, then with everything else that’s already been postponed, would it be considered to move the entire sporting cycle by a year so Olympics would be in odd years instead of even? Only thinking that if there is a postponement & Paris keeps to 2024, there’s gonna be a very very cramped couple of years in 22/23. 

On 3/21/2020 at 2:59 PM, StefanMUC said:

Thomas Bach just said in a radio interview here in Germany that (rough translation) "a cancellation would be the least fair solution". It would "destroy the Olympic dream of 11,000 athletes from 206 NOCs and the Refugee Team" (letting this mention slip in to show the IOC as a beacon of humanity of course). According to him, it's in the best interest of athletes that the Olympics go ahead as planned. Tell that to Hayley Wickenheiser, Andreas Toba, Matthew Pinsent etc.

That man is just unbearable.

I saw those quotes this afternoon. While I understand Bach's reluctance to contemplate cancelling the Games, I'm afraid that notions of fairness have gone out of the window right now.

My family had been due to go to the Isle of Man in June for the annual TT motorcycle racing event. As well as being something that is a huge passion of my mother, it would have been an emotional journey for all of us as we were taking her there for the first time since we lost my father last year. Sadly, those plans have been scrapped after the TT was cancelled by the Isle of Man's government on Monday. But, as much as it's a bitter disappointment to us, we understand the reasons behind it and we are thankful that the authorities on the island took a clear decision early so we know what we're doing. The IOC's public stance is not just illogical in my view. It is irresponsible and the sooner they recognise that, the better.

Should the IOC and TOCOG determine that TOKYO 2020 will proceed as planned there will likely be unprecedented changes to venues, security, travel protocols, medical preparedness, etc.. A more informational “look of games” may be necessary to identify TOKYO 2020. A comprehensive plan may include a main logo that is more connected to these games parameters.

I would like to submit a logo design to TOCOG for consideration. This design was originally created for Harbin, China in a past GB logo contest and was rejected by the GB community and thus it is available now.

I can be available (remotely) to discuss terms of use with TOCOG. In the unfortunate event that Tokyo 2020 is indeed cancelled I leave open the option to transfer discussions to BOCWOG for use at Beijing 2022.

tokyo-virus-logo.jpg

Edited by paul
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, yoshi said:

Question - if the Olympics are moved by a year, then with everything else that’s already been postponed, would it be considered to move the entire sporting cycle by a year so Olympics would be in odd years instead of even? Only thinking that if there is a postponement & Paris keeps to 2024, there’s gonna be a very very cramped couple of years in 22/23. 

Nope; not going to happen, yoshi.  The Summer Olympics are held in the Leap Year or NOT at all.  There are so many moving parts that have to re-jiggered if you were to do this Tectonic shift.  It would then mean having to move the WOGs (and the two YOGs as well).  So; nope, a SOG 2021 will NOT happen.  It's either maybe Aug-Sept 2020 or not at all.   And if NBC has any say in it -- which they will, I'd think it would be maybe 14 days (from August 15 - Sept 14).  Not past Labor Day.  Both TV seasons in Japan and the US PLUS the school year in Japan, would all have to resume by then.  (As it is, the Japanese schoolyear will already have lost 6 months by August).  

13 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Nope; not going to happen, yoshi.  The Summer Olympics are held in the Leap Year or NOT at all.  There are so many moving parts that have to re-jiggered if you were to do this Tectonic shift.  It would then mean having to move the WOGs (and the two YOGs as well).  So; nope, a SOG 2021 will NOT happen.  It's either maybe Aug-Sept 2020 or not at all.   And if NBC has any say in it -- which they will, I'd think it would be maybe 14 days (from August 15 - Sept 14).  Not past Labor Day.  Both TV seasons in Japan and the US PLUS the school year in Japan, would all have to resume by then.  (As it is, the Japanese schoolyear will already have lost 6 months by August).  

Ahhh baron, I do miss telling you how dead wrong you are.  So thank you for this opportunity.

You are wrong.  These are extremely unprecedented times.  It is very possible - and I would argue likely - that we could have a Summer Olympics in 2021.  The IOC has said cancellation is NOT an option.  Postponement is.  NBC will not have a major say in this and if they did, they would probably advocate to move it to next Summer, not to push it back by a month.  And don't forget there's also the matter of the Paralympics as well

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, yoshi said:

There will be a ripple effect, but I doubt anything else on the Olympic calendar will move.  Beijing stays where it is (I doubt they'd be so interested in moving to 2023, even though that might make sense).  Paris 2024, and everything goes from there.  It's other events that might be affected (think the World Athletics championships) that would have to do something with their calendar

31 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Yay! The IOC wants to be the beacon of hope for the world, or as they say, "the light at the end of a dark tunnel"! That has worked out SO well for them in the past!

• Haha 1