Well, I would think that the USOC is at least smart enough to know whether or not they sent the letter. But then again after the whole Boston fiasco.. Lmfao!

Per the LA Times, the letter was submitted earlier this month.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-video-la-2024-summer-olympics-20150914-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-la24-visits-ioc-20150903-story.html

Edited by nykfan845

I hope LA doesn't spend sh*tsful of $$ on this dry-run for 2028; and then find out they've expended themselves for 2028.

(Which in a ways is good...becuz if they decide to sit 2028 out, then maybe a Winter bid for 2026 can sneak in. I know..I know...sequencing. But they talk about these things behind closed doors.)

I hope LA doesn't spend sh*tsful of $$ on this dry-run for 2028; and then find out they've expended themselves for 2028.

(Which in a ways is good...becuz if they decide to sit 2028 out, then maybe a Winter bid for 2026 can sneak in. I know..I know...sequencing. But they talk about these things behind closed doors.)

I commented in another thread about how this race looks similar to the 2008 race with a heavy favorite that has been denied before (Beijing in 2000, Paris in 2012). Here's where I see Los Angeles stacking up. If they're smart, they'll run this bid a lot like Paris did in the 2008 race. Beijing was a huge favorite then and I question whether or not the 2008 bid leaders for Paris really thought they had a chance of derailing Beijing, but instead were laying the groundwork for the 2012 race (which didn't quite turn out the way they hoped). I think L.A. has to take the same approach. Yes they are in it to win, but a deal needs to be worked out, that if L.A. comes up short to Paris, that they are automatically the U.S. candidate city for 2028 when the climate will be much more favorable for the Olympics to return to the Americas.

It's not a matter of just being "smart enough", but how overall you carry your campaign. Keep in mind that the IOC is also a very political organization (even though they "claim" that they're not), so one can be a 'genius', but if the IOC is not interested in you, it doesn't matter how smart you are.

The whole 'dry run' theory is a big gray area anyway. Its usually held for bids like Baku & Almaty, for example, that do need further development so they can get the experience they need in future attempts. Although, sometimes, it is believed that even credible bids from places such as the U.S. or Europe can sometimes fall in this category too.

A perfect example of this is Atlanta 1996. The USOC wasn't expecting to win that one whatsoever, especially so soon after LA 84, & were trying to "lay the ground work" for a future attempt. But they wound up being lucky & found themselves in a lackluster race that was condusive enough for them to actually win & create an upset. But that's not the case here for 2024. Not when the current European options (except for Budapest) are of high to much higher quality.

So the bottom line, it all depends on the dynamics of each individual race to determine whether or not a first-time, city-wise bidder could actually win. And in this 2024 case, that's very, very likely to be a no.

I consider LA's 2024 run a "dry-run" because they better have newer and better ideas and angles to come up with for the 2028 round when they will be in the front seat. Sure, bid like you've never bid before -- and you might do an Atlanta...but Paris 2024 is NOT the raw state Athens 1996 was in.

Do you have any ideas on what LA could improve on for 2028?

LA24 hires consultants to help with Olympic bid

Los Angeles' fledgling Olympic bid committee has hired three major consultants to assist with its campaign.

The International Olympic Committee lists consultants for all bid committees on its website. The three connected with LA24 are well-known in the sports world:

-- Teneo Sports is led by Terrence Burns, whose Olympic resume dates back to the 1996 Atlanta Games.

-- Jon Tibbs Assn., an international relations and communications firm based in Britain, helped Sochi win the 2014 Winter Games.

-- George Hirthler is a writer and producer who specializes in bid strategy.

"We're pleased to bring on these experienced and savvy teammates to help us develop LA's bold and fiscally responsible Games plan," Jeff Millman, an LA24 spokesman, said.

Doug Arnot is also listed by the IOC. Arnot worked with the U.S. Olympic Committee but it remained unclear if he had signed on with LA24.

The bidding process for 2024 officially began earlier this week. Candidates will spend the next two years developing their proposals for a 2017 IOC vote.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-los-angeles-2024-consultants-20150917-story.html

Doug Arnot is also listed by the IOC. Arnot worked with the U.S. Olympic Committee but it remained unclear if he had signed on with LA24.

Doug Arnot is one of those 'traveling' Olympic sports admin-managers who worked with Atlanta, then Salt Lake, then the Chicago bid; then worked with LOCOG. Working with LA-24 makes natural sense.

• 3 weeks later...