What shall FIFA do now?

105 members have voted

1. 1. Should Blatter resign?

• No
    • Yes
  2. 2. Should the elections for 2018 and 2022 be repeated?

• No
    • Yes (both)
    • Yes (only 2018)
    • Yes (only 2022)
    • No, but the country, which bidded but lost, should host the next ones
  3. 3. Should the bribery scandal be investigated by public authorities?

• No - the FIFA ethic council will handle that perfectly
    • Yes - the FIFA isn't able to handle it "in the family"

Yeah, but that proves that if you play pure & nice, then you get the worst of both worlds: No World Cup, & no dirt on FIFA. Sadly, the only way to find out what their game is is to play along with them.

In the famous words of the famous President, David Palmer (a.k.a. Pedro Cerrano and the Allstate Guy).. This is a dirty business and we have to get our hands dirty to clean it up!

David_Palmer.jpg

And Oz's bid was far from clean - we knew that even before FIFA's "report" told us. It was the Lowy show, and he was prepared to do what it takes and hire any dubious person he wanted with his own and taxpayers money to do the job. That's been a big problem in trying to claim any type of moral high-ground in the debacle.

England's Bid was fair and with the rules. Fifa are trying to make excuses for their mistakes. England should be Hosting the 2018 Fifa World Cup and Australia should be Hosting the 2022 Fifa World Cup.

England's Bid was fair and with the rules. Fifa are trying to make excuses for their mistakes. England should be Hosting the 2018 Fifa World Cup and Australia should be Hosting the 2022 Fifa World Cup.

30ffe82f351144fd5b2428c3835ea82037d489e8

Seriously, Tony.. figure out a way to cope with this that doesn't involve whining about it for the next 4 years. Figure out a way to take off the blinders you're wearing and acknowledge the possibility that maybe England wasn't all perfect with their bid and that maybe they shouldn't have won, even if Russia doesn't seem like the right choice. Either way, fricking get over it already!

• Like 3

...Would someone buy this guy a new record needle!

England's Bid was with the Rules, end of. I don't see You criticising America's Bid? Biased. Anyway, I know England's Bid was the Best and was with the Rules. The Voting Process was corrupt. We have the Fans, Stadiums, Infrastructure, Human Rights and Football Tradition. We created Football.

England's Bid was with the Rules, end of. I don't see You criticising America's Bid? Biased. Anyway, I know England's Bid was the Best and was with the Rules. The Voting Process was corrupt. We have the Fans, Stadiums, Infrastructure, Human Rights and Football Tradition. We created Football.

Really immature post. England's bid has been shown to have indulged in some low level deals and trying to curry favour - some of this was known a while ago, whilst the apparent attempt at a vote deal with Korea is new. It's of course true other bids were far worse and all of this stems from FIFA's inablity to run a bid process and castigate the worst of its membership over two decades!

Admitting England's bid wasn't whiter than white does not dent any other arguments we may wish to make; be it the ridiculousness of Qatar 22, the corruption of FIFA itself, or whatever. You don't work for the FA so there's no need for you to be quite so defensive on this.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

I don't see them criticising America's Bid. Anyway, I know England had the Best Bid. We have the Stadiums, Fans, Experience, Infrastructure, Football Tradition and we created Football.

England had the Best Bid.

I don't see them accusing America of corruption, even though America's Bid might have been corrupt.

So, they are being biased too.

I don't see them criticising America's Bid. Anyway, I know England had the Best Bid. We have the Stadiums, Fans, Experience, Infrastructure, Football Tradition and we created Football.

I don't see them accusing America of corruption, even though America's Bid might have been corrupt.

Grow up. Honestly. How old are you?

• Like 2

Get it in your head: England played dirty, others played dirtier. England lost, others won.

For your own sake, you should move on, but if you decide not to, just leave us alone with your stubbornness.

• Like 2

Alg-crying-baby-jpg.jpg

ImaCryingBaby.jpg

Do you see me (or other Americans here) whining like little babies how we didn't get the World Cup? And we didn't lose to Russia.. we lost to Qatar. We also had the 2nd most votes, not the 4th most.

You think the folks running England's bid didn't make the same points that you did? How'd that work out for them. England's bid was investigated and there was corruption. FACT. Indisputable, undeniable fact. Don't give us your usual 'end of' crap as if you saying that makes it true. Was the United States' bid corrupt? Maybe it was. You feel free to find for me who investigated them and found anything though. You calling someone else biased though is so utterly laughable.

Seriously.. what is it going to take for you to accept that 1) maybe England wasn't so pristine and perfect with their bid efforts (for you to still think otherwise is a joke) and 2) having the best bid doesn't mean you're going to win?

Get over it. There is not enough cheese in the world to go with your whine.

Guys...stop feeding T's ego. Let him have is bubble.

A 17 year old should not be left to his own bubble. I fear he's been it it for too long already, but he eventually must face real life. Certainly not our task here (hello, parents!), but rather than ignoring him, calling him out each and every time is actually fairer to him in the long run. At least theoretically.

A 17 year old should not be left to his own bubble. I fear he's been it it for too long already, but he eventually must face real life. Certainly not our task here (hello, parents!), but rather than ignoring him, calling him out each and every time is actually fairer to him in the long run. At least theoretically.

He's 17 for God sakes. I think it's rather pathetic that he need this much attention, especially considering that it's from an online forum.

Ok, I'm not changing My opinion on the Voting Process, but I need to stop keeping on.

My Parents are Excellent Parents, the Best Parents. I'm not a bad person, just a repetitive and opinionated Person.

Ok, I'm not changing My opinion on the Voting Process, but I need to stop keeping on.

Yes, you do need to stop keeping on. Remember this the next time you're tempted to keep on keeping on.

I thought the United States was in a great position to get the 2022 World Cup. Didn't happen, even though the country that got it in no way deserved to win. But that's what happened and I moved on. You need to do the same. Again, I feel confident you will see a World Cup in your country at some point in your lifetime. But to remain so angry that this wasn't it?.. accept it and move on, because it's not changing.

• Like 1

Swiss law allows more scrutiny of sports finances

GENEVA (AP) - Putting sports officials on a legal level with political dictators, Swiss lawmakers passed legislation allowing more scrutiny of bank accounts held by governing bodies and their leaders.

The law passed on Friday, in a 128-62 vote in the lower chamber of parliament, was prompted by FIFA bribery scandals in recent years.

Switzerland-based sports leaders such as FIFA President Sepp Blatter and IOC President Thomas Bach are now classed as “politically exposed persons” in wider legislation covering money-laundering.

“Normally these rules are for politicians and dictators,” Swiss lawmaker Roland Buechel told the Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Buechel said the law also applies to executive committee members and employees of sports federations. There are more than 60 based in Switzerland, taking advantage of traditional tax-exempt status and light competition regulation.

Still, the vote was a clear sign Switzerland was tired of its reputation for going easy on the multi-billion dollar sports industry.

During FIFA’s recent attempts to reform, its anti-corruption adviser Mark Pieth challenged his home country to stop being a “pirate’s harbor.”

The International Olympic Committee approved of Friday’s vote.

“The IOC fully supports and welcomes this important move by Swiss lawmakers - it is in line with what the IOC already does,” the Lausanne-based body said.

The new law allows greater scrutiny of “any strange movement” in bank accounts and financial assets held in Switzerland only, Buechel said.

“We can only enforce law in our country,” he acknowledged. “It is still an important step so that other countries can follow.”

Further important legislation is being prepared with laws being drafted making sports corruption a criminal offense.

“This will be the really tough one which normally applied to officials of parliament or companies,” Buechel said. “It is already in committee, and will be in both chambers of parliament next year.”

Those laws could cover corrupt acts abroad by non-Swiss residents if linked to a sports election being held in Switzerland.

Buechel suggested that a future case of bribery in the Caribbean linked to a FIFA presidential vote in Zurich could be prosecuted in Switzerland.

FIFA typically also chooses its home city to stage World Cup hosting votes, which usually provoke allegations of financial wrongdoing.

However, the vote scheduled in 2017 in Lima, Peru, to choose the 2024 Olympics host would seem unlikely to be covered by upcoming legislation.

Buechel said the ongoing behavior of sports bodies and top officials would influence how lawmakers approach their work.

“It is up to FIFA and the IOC to really do their reforms and kick their people out,” he said. “If not, the law will come out much tougher.”

AP

USA, UK, France, Germany could host 2022 Worldcup without problems instead of Qatar. They have stadiums ready.

England can Host it already, not the whole UK.

Wales only has 1 Stadium with over 40,000 Seats, Scotland only has 3 Stadiums, all in 1 City. Northern Ireland has 0 Stadiums over 40,000 Seats. England has, let Me see, 3 Stadiums here in London (Wembley, Emirates and Olympic Stadium), Manchester (Old Trafford), Liverpool (Expanded Anfield), Newcastle (St James' Park), Sheffield (Renovations), Leeds (Renovations), Sunderland (Stadium Of Light), Plymouth (Renovations) and Portsmouth (New Stadium), I could go on.

England can Host it already, not the whole UK.

Wales only has 1 Stadium with over 40,000 Seats, Scotland only has 3 Stadiums, all in 1 City. Northern Ireland has 0 Stadiums over 40,000 Seats. England has, let Me see, 3 Stadiums here in London (Wembley, Emirates and Olympic Stadium), Manchester (Old Trafford), Liverpool (Expanded Anfield), Newcastle (St James' Park), Sheffield (Renovations), Leeds (Renovations), Sunderland (Stadium Of Light), Plymouth (Renovations) and Portsmouth (New Stadium), I could go on.

Tony. NOT HAPPENING!! :rolleyes: