What shall FIFA do now?

105 members have voted

1. 1. Should Blatter resign?

• No
    • Yes
  2. 2. Should the elections for 2018 and 2022 be repeated?

• No
    • Yes (both)
    • Yes (only 2018)
    • Yes (only 2022)
    • No, but the country, which bidded but lost, should host the next ones
  3. 3. Should the bribery scandal be investigated by public authorities?

• No - the FIFA ethic council will handle that perfectly
    • Yes - the FIFA isn't able to handle it "in the family"

Despite of his name Jérôme Champagne has given an impression at least based on his media appearences of willingness for real and good reforms and more openness. I think the only way to achieve that is by someone bringing the change from outside. The insiders of FIFA seem to be all equally corrupt. The way to influence FIFA is indeed probably by putting as much outside pressure as possible, via media, sponsors and even the Swiss government. Thankfully the modern way of spreading information will force more openness everywhere... I hope.

The problem with FIFA is however that the current state of affairs is made possible because many actually benefit of it. Blatter has for example given the World Cup to Africa and before that Havelange raised Africa's World Cup places from 1 to 5. It's not that everyone is unhappy about the way they are treated.

Curiouser and curiouser

More allegations of corruption during the bidding process to stage the World Cups in 2018 and 2022 have been made.

The House of Commons Culture Media and Sport select committee has published previously unseen material submitted to it by the Sunday Times newspaper.

It draws on claims by senior sources that officials connected to England's bid for the 2018 World Cup ran an intelligence-gathering operation against rival nations.

This submission by the Sunday Times outlines how England 2018 executives compiled a database of rumours and intelligence - gathered by private companies and, significantly, British embassies.

There is, however, no clear evidence supplied by the paper.

Instead, its submission provides detailed accounts of how votes were allegedly bought and sold in the build-up to the December 2010 poll - and how Fifa's opaque rules for bidding nations were exploited.

The paper claims Russia's President Vladimir Putin played a major role in his country's winning bid, even, it says, enlisting Fifa's president Sepp Blatter to help lobby for votes.

Another claim suggests the Russia bid had lobbied for the support of Michel Platini - the Uefa president and voter - by giving him a painting believed to have been a Picasso.

There are also allegations about Qatar, and how its dominance in the natural gas industry helped it secure votes through bilateral trade deals.

Russia, the 2018 World Cup hosts, and Qatar, who will hold the 2022 tournament, have always denied any wrongdoing, and a recent, albeit disputed, summary of a Fifa inquiry cleared them.

The Football Association said in a statement: "The FA can confirm the England 2018 bid engaged with a number of parties around the world to provide general and background information on the progress of the bidding process within different countries and perspectives.

"These were media and corporate affairs consultants engaged on a confidential basis to gather intelligence.

"The fact the bid team had taken advice on intelligence gathering was referenced to Mr Garcia [Michael Garcia conducted a two-year inquiry into alleged corruption within Fifa] as part of the investigative process.

"The FA reiterates that it has fully complied with all disclosure requests made by Mr Garcia."

Culture Media and Sport select committee chairman John Whittingdale MP has told BBC Sport that, in light of the Sunday Times submission, he would like to hear from FA executives to ascertain if the 'database' exists and, if so, for them to outline its contents.

I'm just saying, even though Fifa hasn't got the Best reputation when it comes to Voting, how else would there be a New head of Fifa?

The same way Blatter got the job. As he described it:

"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Blatter, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king

• Like 1

The same way Blatter got the job. As he described it:

"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Blatter, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king

That's a completely believable Blatterism! :lol:

Football is still the World's Most Popular Sport and still is the World's Biggest Sport. We can't let Fifa, Blatter, Russia and Qatar ruin Football. We need to make Blatter leave Fifa, take the Fifa World Cup's away from Russia and Qatar, give the Fifa World Cup's to England and Australia and fix Fifa. People, I'm only saying My opinion, so don't all have ago at Me.

Football is still the World's Most Popular Sport and still is the World's Biggest Sport. We can't let Fifa, Blatter, Russia and Qatar ruin Football. We need to make Blatter leave Fifa, take the Fifa World Cup's away from Russia and Qatar, give the Fifa World Cup's to England and Australia and fix Fifa. People, I'm only saying My opinion, so don't all have ago at Me.

If you're going to make a post and tag it with "don't have a go at me," chances are, people are going to have a go at you. Much like if someone starts by saying "No offense, but.." it probably means they're offending the other person, but someone saying that makes it okay.

Yes, we know it's your opinion. We've known it's been your opinion for awhile now. You don't need to keep reminding us you think the 2018 World Cup should move to England just because it's your opinion. No one gives a crap anymore, especially to hear it from you..

keep-calm-and-don-t-be-butthurt.png

Tony, you're going to have to move on from this repetition.

Personally I believe Russia is a more legit host than Qatar. Yes Russia has somewhat become a pariah over this year and there is a real threat of Russia's economy collapsing as the West drives down oil and gas prices (like they did to ruin the USSR).

Qatar is a totally different kettle of fish...that is worth the constant critical investigation.

Russia and Qatar's Bid were both corrupt. They shouldn't be allowed to Bid after the trouble they caused.

That may be the case, but every time you said they should just hand it over to England and Australia (who both finished LAST in their respective bidding), you sound more like someone who is butthurt than someone who is trying to make an objective argument. And for all the times you and others (rightfully so) have said that FIFA is corrupt and that they and the FA want nothing to do with each other, it goes way beyond wishful thinking to try and revise history where England has the 2018 World Cup and all the problems with FIFA that prevented that from happening in the first place magically disappear.

Are you seriously going to keep harping on this for the next 3 1/2 years? Get over it. I'm confident you will see a World Cup in England in your lifetime. Be patient. This wasn't destined to be it and FIFA is so messed up at this point that maybe it's worth waiting until they figure out a way to get their act together.

• Like 1

Russia and Qatar's Bid were both corrupt. They shouldn't be allowed to Bid after the trouble they caused.

Damn needle's stuck huh?

Let's not forget England 2018 is being investigated for bribery and corruption as well...It happens everywhere where high stakes biddings are involved...gee look at the Olympic history.

Well the truth is, like it or not, that the WC 2018 will be in Russia so just deal with it. I have some hopes that Qatar will be stripped the hosting rights but I don't think Russia will be. Besides all the corruption issues have dealt primarily with Qatar but I don't recall many stories of Russia's involvement. Not that I think there wasn't anything murky about it but not necessarily more so than with England or Australia who played their part too. Before the vote Russia and England were considered by most to be the favorites for 2018. Russia does make some sense, unlike Qatar, for being a big new market that never hosted before and a decent football power. In fact, Soviet Union's achievements as a national team were at least on par with England's, if we're going down that route. Soviet Union could even have got the 1990 World Cup hosting if it wasn't for the LA Games' boycott.

I'm personally not exceptionally thrilled about the Russian World Cup because I fear it might be an insipid event with regards the spectator attendance and atmosphere. The stadiums are of minimum capacity, which indicates that they might be oversized for use after the competition, except in Moscow, St. Pete and a couple of other cities.

I think people make too much fuss of the economy and its effect on something like the organisation of one tournament. After all, Russia has gone through such turbulent times during its history that the slowth of economy is a relatively small issue.

England's Bid was with the rules. There was nothing wrong with England's Bid. Russia and Qatar were the corrupt Bids. Fifa just tell lies.

England's Bid was with the rules. There was nothing wrong with England's Bid. Russia and Qatar were the corrupt Bids. Fifa just tell lies.

Denial is not a river in Egypt. Stop telling us that England's bid for the World Cup was so pure and perfect. Clearly it wasn't. It's a joke that you refuse to believe otherwise.

• Like 2

Denial is not a river in Egypt. Stop telling us that England's bid for the World Cup was so pure and perfect. Clearly it wasn't. It's a joke that you refuse to believe otherwise.

England 2018's attempts to play FIFA's game look sloppy, half-hearted and amateurish compared with what we've heard about how other bids went about things. But you're right, they did try to curry favour in ways which weren't right, egged on by the likes of Jack Warner and his ExCo colleuges who wanted money and favours, and there should be no excuse for that. The bid team siding with FIFA, brown-nosing Blatter, and branding the BBC an embarrassment for airing a documentary on FIFA corruption in the week before the vote was particularly weak.

In truth, I think only the Dutch, Americans and Japanese bids have come out of this whole eipsode looking "pure and perfect".

But the FA is right to make a stand against Blatter and FIFA corruption nonetheless and their former head, David Bernstein, was particularly impressive when speaking about this. They can be accused of a little hypocricy in doing so, but I think in the bigger picture they're right to make themselves heard about their experience of the biding process.

• Like 1