FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

I'm frankly surprised that any country with a shred of self respect would spend any money bidding for a WC. FIFA has surely proved itself to be no better than a corrupt, 3rd world dictatorship... next Sep will be mining diamonds in the Congo to give to one of Berlusconni's teen-harem. They'll award the WC to the girl with the biggest t1ts,

I think that until FIFA is run by people with integrity, rather than a bunch of mediocre has-beens with Swiss bank accounts then the WC should be left for Putin-esque angry-midget dictators to use as a propaganda willy-waving event.

• Like 1

How does a sliver of a nation, that was FAR from meeting FIFA's OWN technical requirements, & with buckets of cash to throw around, not have 'bought' the WC! :blink::rolleyes:

I think the 14 voters a few years ago were driven to picking Qatar against all odds because (1) they didn't want to send the WC back to the US; and (2) they genuinely got excited by Qatar's message -- as I was, too. I thought they had the slickest, most persuasive message and presentation. Unfortunately, as the saying goes ...and NEVER was it truer .. the road to HELL is paved with good intentions.

I think the 14 voters a few years ago were driven to picking Qatar against all odds because (1) they didn't want to send the WC back to the US; and (2) they genuinely got excited by Qatar's message -- as I was, too. I thought they had the slickest, most persuasive message and presentation. Unfortunately, as the saying goes ...and NEVER was it truer .. the road to HELL is paved with good intentions.

So I'm curious.. what exactly was Qatar's message? Because I'm still trying to figure that one out, as are a lot of other people. What was so persuasive about a Qatari World Cup that you thought they were the one? It's easy for us here to sit on the sidelines and enjoy that theater that is playing out here, but I don't get how 14 out of 24 voters were that driven to pick Qatar. And I don't buy the anti-American excuse. If Australia had won, I'd give you that one. Not Qatar. I don't care how slick or persuasive they were.. it should never have been enough to overcome all the information that FIFA had right in front of them that said a World Cup in Qatar is a terrible idea.

So I'm curious.. what exactly was Qatar's message? Because I'm still trying to figure that one out, as are a lot of other people. What was so persuasive about a Qatari World Cup that you thought they were the one? It's easy for us here to sit on the sidelines and enjoy that theater that is playing out here, but I don't get how 14 out of 24 voters were that driven to pick Qatar. And I don't buy the anti-American excuse. If Australia had won, I'd give you that one. Not Qatar. I don't care how slick or persuasive they were.. it should never have been enough to overcome all the information that FIFA had right in front of them that said a World Cup in Qatar is a terrible idea.

Australia got 1 vote - we will never host a world cup.

As for Qatar bribes - nothing may ever be found, but if it smells like a duck etc.

I'm enjoying the shite fight Fifa are now having though re:the Winter World Cup.

I really do wonder how much the EXCO were paid - what's a few million between friends?

So I'm curious.. what exactly was Qatar's message?

Well, as I've posted elsewhere before. It's all Mike Lee's fault. He spun such a slick tale, straight out of the Arabian nights that won the day. It was that if a hitherto camel dung-age society could make palm-shaped islands appear in the water out of nothing, then they could stage a 21st century, pocket-burning sports spectacle normally reserved for much larger societies...then everything would be kumbaya and hakuna-matata! :lol: Watch the presentation again and see if it didn't present the glossiest package.

I mean...many of us still want to watch and hope for a happy ending.

• 1 month later...
Wales hint at potential joint bid with England for 2026 Fifa World Cup

Wales have opened the door to hosting the 2026 World Cup in a joint bid with England.

First Minister Carwyn Jones and Football Association of Wales chief executive Jonathan Ford have revealed an attempt to land the biggest football tournament on the planet is a future goal.

After next year's competition in Brazil, the World Cup then moves to Russia and Qatar, but Wales believe they can be part a bid to bring the finals to Britain for the only time since England lifted the trophy back in 1966.

Ford said: “It’s a great future ambition. We know where the World Cup is going in 2018 and 2022, but the process thereafter has yet to be determined.

“I absolutely support the First Minister in having a good ambition.”

Ford was speaking at a major events conference in Cardiff and in response to leader of the Welsh Government Jones’ shock comments.

The First Minister said: “We have got the UEFA Super Cup coming to Cardiff next year and we want that to be the starting point for bringing more major football events to Wales.

“We are talking with the FAW about bidding to be one of the venues for the 2020 European Championships, we want a Champions League final... and then there is the World Cup in 2026.

“The most likely joint bid would be with England and we know we have three good stadia we can offer.

“By 2026 we can get the Liberty Stadium and Cardiff City Stadium up to 30,000-plus to supplement the Millennium Stadium.

“Football is the world’s biggest sport and we know everyone has been talking about Gareth Bale since his move to Real Madrid and giving Wales a lot of global exposure.

“We hope he can inspire the Welsh football team to qualify for a major tournament in the future.

“You only have to look back to the 1990s, at the Jack Charlton era in Irish football, to see how a football team can build the confidence of a nation.”

Wales has a great expertise in hosting worldwide events with the Olympic Games, Ryder Cup, Rugby World Cup Cup amongst the major events staged here in recent times.

Wales kicked-off the 2012 Olympic Games at the Millennium Stadium and also recently won the right to hold the IAAF World Half-Marathon Championships in 2016.

WRU boss Roger Lewis backed the World Cup plan, saying: “It’s something we would always be a winning partner for but it’s something to be discussed with the FAW and FA.

“You have to respect the governance situation, it’s something they would put forward.

“I have met with the FAW over our European ambitions and we’re hugely supportive of them. We would work in partnership with them to deliver a world class venue.”

The conference was also told that a recent economic impact study that looked at the Millennium Stadium showed it helped to support 2,500 full time jobs in Wales and that its events generated £130m for the Welsh capital every year over the past decade.

The 2010 Ryder Cup generated £82.4m worth of revenue for Wales, while the 2011 Heineken Cup Final was worth £15.7m and the 2009 England versus Australia Test match £2.4m.

Source

Why? Because of the unideal hosting dates which clash with the AFL/NRL season? And of course a little too many oval stadiums as opposed to rectangle ones.

But should we indeed get the opportunity to bid again, we'd have much more than what we proposed for 2018/2022. Perth's 60,000+ stadium would be built by bid time. Adelaide Oval would be complete with 54,000 odd capacity. Perhaps even a new Canberra stadium would be ready. Geelong's Stadium would be at around 33,000-36,000.

Peeps say we're not ready for another Olympics. I'd like to see us host the World Cup one day.

Because FIFA have proved with Qatar that there is no bid process, instead there is just an auction where the highest bidder buys the World Cup. Until either reform happens at FIFA, or Australia is in a position to pay more than Qatar etc, then don't waste your money.

Because FIFA hasn't proved it's made the reforms necessary for nations who were involved in the 2018/22 process to want to return.

I wouldn't support an England bid either.

What Rob and Yoshi said. Or in other words, I don't think we should get in bed with such a bunch of imcompitent crooks.

Plus, we're not a football/soccer nation. It would be one hosting we'd be after for vanity, rather than love of the sport.

Edited by Sir Rols

That's one hosting ambition I hope we steer clear of for a long, long time.

Ditto. FIFA clearly values money and corruption more than the privilege of having the opportunity to stage its event in Australia - which would have organised an incredible World Cup in 2022. That ship has sailed - Australia has moved on. Australians hate corruption. We will still focus on growing an even stronger A-League - but I'd rather we kept well clear of FIFA for at least a few decades. It is their loss more than it was ours.

He's just afraid that "Football" will take over the AFL someday! :P

I actually don't give a sh!t about the AFL. Silly code of aerial ping pong. I don't know why anyone gets the notion I support AFL, I never mention it apart from the odd flippant comment against it over the years. Actually, I did crap on Demetriou here for being such a dick in the race for 2022.

But the average Aussie, be they from Rugby League states like me, or ping pong states like you, care about soccer less. And there's still lots of anger about how the FFA and FIFA took us for mugs, and the money wasted, and some of our own dubious practices, in the 2022 race.

Edited by Sir Rols

CONCACAF is probably favorites to be the next Continent to host Fifa World Cup - if not then Africa, South America or Oceania - Concacaf I think Canada should get it because Mexico and usa have already hosted it. Africa, I think Morocco or Nigeria, Oceania it can only be New Zealand and South America I would think Chile or Peru. Hopefully my England bid for 2030 Fifa World Cup.