FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

If the USA somehow manages to get lucky, they should make sure that no games were played in extremely hot conditions (i.e, Orlando in July) like last time. That was a travesty.

Regarding other likely hosts for 2026 if current rules stand, IMO the following have a decent chance:

Morocco, Canada. Mexico will not get it thrice so soon.

I have a sneaking suspicion that England will get it though after Quatar, just to piss of the Americans. Also, if it goes to America, that means the 2030 bid in S.A would be in jeopardy.

And if you ask me how England could bid, the rules will magically change in a few years once Blatter retires.

USA is almost guaranteed 2026 if its going to be held in the CONCACAF region. I wouldn't want the WC hosted by Canada, just to see them lose all three games.

14years is a long time to turn around a football team

FIFA is very fond of Canada based on the number of age group events held there, and what better way to encourage countries to bid for these if a country is finally awarded the top tournament.

According to FIFA's rules usually 8-10 cities with 9-11 stadiums are required

• 7 months later...

The CONCACAF president says that his region will not support a FIFA presidential candidate unless he or she favors a North American bid for the 2026 World Cup.

PASADENA, Calif. – Barely a year into his post as president of CONCACAF, Jeffrey Webb is looking over a dozen years down the line. Webb, who also serves as a vice president and a member of the executive committee of FIFA, wants North America to host the 2026 World Cup.

CONCACAF last hosted a World Cup in 1994. Roberto Baggio famously missed a penalty as Brazil defeated Italy in the Rose Bowl, which also housed Webb's press conference on Sunday.

The United States bid for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, but was passed over in favor of Russia and Qatar, respectively.

“For us I think it was unfair for our confederation to miss 2022,” Webb said. “It doesn't matter for me – it's 41 members – whether it's the United States, Mexico or Canada. I believe it's so important for us as a confederation to host the World Cup in 2026. That will have been 32 years, which would have been the longest span since World War II that we have not hosted a World Cup as a confederation.”

Mexico previously hosted in 1970 and 1986. Canada has never served as the venue for a full men's World Cup, but will host the 2015 women's World Cup

Though CONCACAF contains more than three dozen member nations, the three in North America represent likely the only viable candidates to host a World Cup.

Webb mentioned that he has held meetings with U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati, CSA president Victor Montagliani and FMF president Justino Compeán to discuss bringing the quadrennial event back to the region.

“We collectively must make an effort. We must decide, ultimately, that it doesn't matter which country within CONCACAF hosts it,” Webb said. “We've said it very clear from the outset, that 2026 must belong to [this] confederation.”

Webb still stings from losing the 2018/22 World Cups, with corruption and bribery allegations accompanying the opaque process. Two members of the FIFA executive committee were banned in 2010 after accepting bribes from Times reporters posing as lobbyists.

But Webb smarts over the recent hosting decision because it abandoned FIFA's rotation policy. Previously, FIFA awarded World Cups in rotation by continent. However, it split from that process in order to pursue new locations and markets for the 2018 edition. Had the rotation policy remained, CONCACAF would have hosted the 2018 World Cup, according to a CONCACAF spokesperson.

“The biggest losers, for us, in the rotation, was CONCACAF,” Webb said. “The World Cup is taking place in Brazil because of the rotation. The World Cup took place in South Africa because of the rotation. We're the biggest losers. For us it must be one of the top priorities for us going forward.”

The Cayman Islands native claimed that CONCACAF will only endorse a FIFA president candidate who supports the region's bid for the 2026 World Cup. Sepp Blatter's current term ends in 2015.

“It comes down to sports politics,” Webb said. “I'll be very frank and very open with you that whoever the next president of FIFA becomes, for any support to come from CONCACAF, that must be one of the overarching objectives and commitments to this confederation, that 2026 will come to CONCACAF.”

Edited by intoronto

• 3 weeks later...

Gulati: US hasn't been asked to be fill-in host

CHICAGO (AP) - The United States has not been approached about hosting the 2014 or 2022 World Cups should concerns about security or weather force them to be moved.

U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati says the U.S. still wants to host a World Cup, possibly as early as 2026. But he is certain next year's World Cup will go off as planned in Brazil despite protests during last month's Confederations Cup.

Gulati also expects FIFA's Executive Committee to consider shifting the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to the winter to avoid the country's searing summer heat.

Gulati spoke Sunday a few hours before the Americans face Panama in the CONCACAF Gold Cup final.

AP

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2013/soccer/wires/07/28/2050.ap.soc.world.cup.us.0142/index.html

• 1 month later...

USA is an exceptional host, Mexico does not deserves to host 3 WC before Italy, France, Brazil, Germany.

(this is my 100th post :D)

Even before Argentina host it a second time or Netherland a first... It would be very unfair!

i hope soccer will one day be as interesting as synchronized swimming in the us

I have same feelings with baseball... It's hard to find that interesting...

RFK_Stadium_baseball.JPG

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Way to make your point with a stadium that was used for both baseball and soccer.. guess which of the 2 drew more fans there. The baseball team has since moved onto greener pastures. The soccer team, not so much

I just googled a wide angle pic of a baseball match, no point to be explained. I don't like the diamond-shape and all seems so weird to me. Still, my deepest respect to those who like the sport.

In a positive note, I love the logos of baseball teams in the USA.

I just googled a wide angle pic of a baseball match, no point to be explained. I don't like the diamond-shape and all seems so weird to me. Still, my deepest respect to those who like the sport.

In a positive note, I love the logos of baseball teams in the USA.

"Deepest respect?" Ok......... If you say so.

Baseball is more than a sport. It's a culture. That's why I like it. Never got into it on TV. Love it in person.

"Deepest respect?" Ok......... If you say so.

Baseball is more than a sport. It's a culture. That's why I like it. Never got into it on TV. Love it in person.

I'd like to watch a baseball match someday in the USA (in fact I'd rather a NBA or NFL, but I'd be happy to watch a baseball match in person). All sports events are pretty different live.

Athensfan, don't get me wrong, please, it's just a matter of taste. I understand what baseball means to USA and I respect it - just this.

I tried to find tickets to Miami Heat in May, but it was already Eastern Finals...

Linking baseball to World Cup (the thread theme), no country in the world knows how put a sports show like USA. If 2026 be a North American spot, I will back USA bid. The 1994 was so special (not only because Brazil won, but all the atmosphere, stadiums...).

Edited by DannyelBrazil

The only baseball stadium used in 2022 bis was RFK in DC. Not big deal, they can replace DC with Baltimore and problem solved.

Incorrect on 2 counts.. baseball has not been played at RFK since 2007 after which the Nationals moved to their own new stadium. And FedExField is the venue in Washington DC (it's in the suburb of Landover) that was a part of the bid, so there wouldn't be a conflict anyway. Baltimore's M&T Bank Stadium was also a part of the bid as well.

Worth noting.. there were 4 stadiums in the 2022 bid that could cause conflict issues with MLB because they are next door to a baseball stadium and share facilities such as parking. Those are in Baltimore, Kansas City, Philadelphia, and Seattle. It's possible (and very likely) that they'd be able to work around those conflicts if those stadiums were chosen for a future bid.

I'd like to watch a baseball match someday in the USA (in fact I'd rather a NBA or NFL, but I'd be happy to watch a baseball match in person). All sports events are pretty different live.

Athensfan, don't get me wrong, please, it's just a matter of taste. I understand what baseball means to USA and I respect it - just this.

I tried to find tickets to Miami Heat in May, but it was already Eastern Finals...

Linking baseball to World Cup (the thread theme), no country in the world knows how put a sports show like USA. If 2026 be a North American spot, I will back USA bid. The 1994 was so special (not only because Brazil won, but all the atmosphere, stadiums...).

I was actually there to see Brazil win. In fact I can walk to the stadium where it happened from where I live.

• Like 1

No. The final. Against Italy.

WOW, that was special!!! It was one of the most thrilling days of my early teenager years... I, indeed, got sick 2 days before the final match because of anxiety...

Did you supported Brazil or Italy??? :rolleyes:

WOW, that was special!!! It was one of the most thrilling days of my early teenager years... I, indeed, got sick 2 days before the final match because of anxiety...

Did you supported Brazil or Italy??? :rolleyes:

To be honest, I had been pulling for Sweden who lost to Brazil in the semi-final.

Reindeer, I agree about the final. Especially for American spectators, the it was hard to swallow. It seemed to go on and on and in the end, the victory by shootout felt almost arbitrary.

What match are you referring to? Portugal didn't even qualify in 1994.

I didn't know Athensfan lives in California. I thought he was talking about the last match Brazil played. It was in Boston last week against Portugal.

The 1994 tournament was fantastic, BTW I also supported Brazil back then, but the final was the most boring in history.

Agreed about the tournament. The final was thrilling, despite the lack of goals. Brazil had the chance to score at least 4 or 5 goals, but the players were not nice on finalizing the shoots.

Italy was dead phisically under the summer sun of California. But I understand how boring can be a 0-0 match for Americans.

To be honest, I had been pulling for Sweden who lost to Brazil in the semi-final.

Reindeer, I agree about the final. Especially for American spectators, the it was hard to swallow. It seemed to go on and on and in the end, the victory by shootout felt almost arbitrary.

Sweden had a great team back then.

At least in the end, justice was made, Brazil played ways better than Italy.

Edited by DannyelBrazil