Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

I don't think I want a US city in the 2024 against a RSA bid. It is too risky IMO...

I say let Toronto go for it if they want to in 2024, but it is far from certain that 2024 will be a N. American showdown.

Off course all my judgments are guesses and based on hosting trends.

I am pretty sure that Toronto will likely bid for 2024 if the mayor is out off office which is likely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, it is going to be interesting on how Toronto handles preparing for the 2015 Pan American Games. If it goes well, then I say that Toronto should go for a bid for 2024. My concern is how Rob Ford is going to deal with the city's finances, as he is a "cutting hawk." And, I don't know, is Toronto getting short-changed in help getting money to pay for infrastructure upgrades and the like?

The IOC has showed that they will welcome a bid from anyone.

If the US gets 2022, I don't see Toronto posing a serious challenge for 2024. If 2022 is in Europe, I can see Toronto providing strong competition for Durban.

If the US hosts either 2022 or 2026, I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that Toronto will host the next North American Games - probably in the 20's or early 30's.

I can see some benefit in a Toronto 2024 bid. There is unlikely to be much challenge from the US, Asia will probably sit out '24, and Europe is likely to have had 2020. If South Africa stumbles, then suddenly Canada can find themselves a shoe-in for 2024. If they don't get it, well then 2024 is a nice warm up for a shot at 2032/2036.

THe issue is Toronto 2015 preparations have not been the best it can be and a clown is still the mayor. However, 2015 is four years away and Rob Ford will likely be voted out of office in 2013.

THe issue is Toronto 2015 preparations have not been the best it can be and a clown is still the mayor. However, 2015 is four years away and Rob Ford will likely be voted out of office in 2013.

Aren't the Portlands being developed into a residential waterfront community now? This is where the Olympic Park was to be situated? Correct me if I'm mistaken.

And yes I do see a Toronto bid happening for 2024. I still think the city would have been a big threat had it bid for 2020 but I guess waiting another 4 years won't hurt them :)

Aren't the Portlands being developed into a residential waterfront community now? This is where the Olympic Park was to be situated? Correct me if I'm mistaken.

And yes I do see a Toronto bid happening for 2024. I still think the city would have been a big threat had it bid for 2020 but I guess waiting another 4 years won't hurt them :)

That is the plan for the last 30 years and nothing has happened. So I guess it will not be developed until 2017 when a 2024 bid is likely due.

• 2 weeks later...

Prove me wrong, that what they say about Toronto.

-Toronto was part of the largest ever attendance overall in the 2007 FIFA u20 world cup.

-Has one of the most successful MLS team event though they never have made playoffs.

Etc..

Don't get me wrong, Hockey is a big part of Toronto, but not the only thing Toronto cares about.

Toronto should have gotten the 96 games. It would great for Toronto to host the Olympics but reading from the web T.O has a lot of matters to deal with.

Should have would have, Coca Cola's influence likely got Atlanta the games in 96. Toronto at the moment does have issues to deal with but in two three years the situation could be entirely different.

Should have would have, Coca Cola's influence likely got Atlanta the games in 96. Toronto at the moment does have issues to deal with but in two three years the situation could be entirely different.

A number of factors led to Atlanta's surprising victory in '96, and let's keep in mind that Montreal's dismal hosting, and LA's success was still fresh in many IOC members minds in 1989, and also Calgary hosting just one year before the vote didn't do Toronto any favors either.

A number of factors led to Atlanta's surprising victory in '96, and let's keep in mind that Montreal's dismal hosting, and LA's success was still fresh in many IOC members minds in 1989, and also Calgary hosting just one year before the vote didn't do Toronto any favors either.

That went against Toronto's bid for sure.

Not to split hairs here, but the host election for the `96 Olympics didn't occur until September of 1990, so it was a little shorter than the usual 7 year timeframe.

While Canadian Olympic Committee officers were tight-lipped on any possible Toronto bid for the 2024 Olympics, Johnson was more forthcoming.

“2024 is certainly under discussion. I think the success of the 2015 Pan American Games will determine wether Toronto is prepared to make a bid,” he said.

Governor General drops in on Canadian team