Singapore 2010

Singapore: 53 votes

Moscow: 44 votes.

Pfft. And I was expecting a Singapore landslide win. It's like a reality check on how the IOC really is. Oh well.

I think sercurity help the bid a bit but hosting the IOC session back in 2005 was a major factor in Singapore win , I must say .

It will be interesting to see if there is any bitterness in the Moscow camp or from any Moscow supporters here on the board like there is for Summer and Winter Olympic races. Will these Youth decisions start to play more of an important role in the future?

Does anyone think that the Youth Games could prevent other cities in a region hosting a larger Olympic Games much like the Winter and Summer Games often affect bids in the later, eg; Toronto hosting 2008 would have killed Vancouver 2010??? Still it could pave the way for Singapore to take on more world events (IAAF, FINA, FIBA etc. and maybe a Summer Games one day).

Nonetheless, well done Singapore. Both bds were supurb. I think you were just more of a promotional host than Moscow to really get this event off the ground.

I just watched TV, and there is a news flash said Singapore got the 2010 games, so I ran to my PC, connect to the internet and CONGRAT SG !!! :D congrat rocky :D, congrat NYCD 2010, Will sg buy another sand from Indonesia to reclamation their beach to built another stadium ? :P, ok congrat SG !!!

Interesting fact:

1.) Singapore could be the first country in the world that "first try and hit the jackpot". This is their first international bid of any games event.

2.) The bidding process just took 7 months to complete, and seems Singapore just wins without major obstacle.

3.) By 2010, Singapore biggest stadium will be Marina Bay Floating Stadium (25,000 seats), which cannot be used fro track and field events. The track and field events will be hosted in Bishan Stadium, which the number of seats should be less than 15,000 seats. The new stadium will only completed on 2011.

Well, here is from the Moscow supporters -

- Good luck, Singapore!

(you'll need it :) )

And don't forget to get good international advice (particularly in sports operations).

This seems somewhat scathing. Oh well.

The Youth Olympics wont be that big of a deal. No more trouble than hosting the 2007 IOC session really...As for reclaiming land, i though part of the contract for the Youth Olympics stipulate that no new venues (ie; stadium) are allowed to be built except for a makeshift village?

This seems somewhat scathing. Oh well.

The Youth Olympics wont be that big of a deal. No more trouble than hosting the 2007 IOC session really...As for reclaiming land, i though part of the contract for the Youth Olympics stipulate that no new venues (ie; stadium) are allowed to be built except for a makeshift village?

Well just a whimper from a sourgrape which isnt worth paying much attention to I suppose. :P

With only a maxium of 3,500 atheletes in 26 sports, the games isnt really huge. As mentioned in some recent press releases, The Southeast Asian games, which Singapore has hosted twice before, has already grown to involve 3,126 atheletes with over 400 events in 43 sports in the 2007 edition. The only primary difference is the number of countries involved.

The reclaimed land thingy is just a joke apparantly...in reference to the bilateral issues between Indonesia and Singapore. The contract dosent really ban the building of new facilities for the games. Singapore has to build several temporary facilities, for example. The main concern is that these structures should not be built exclusively for the games, only to become white elephants after that.

3.) By 2010, Singapore biggest stadium will be Marina Bay Floating Stadium (25,000 seats), which cannot be used fro track and field events. The track and field events will be hosted in Bishan Stadium, which the number of seats should be less than 15,000 seats. The new stadium will only completed on 2011.

Just to clarify, the so-called "Marina Bay Floating Stadium" is not a "stadium" in essense. It is more of a giant outdoor arena, built primarily to host the annual National Day Parade during the period of reconstructing the new 55,000-seat National Stadium. It is meant to be a temporary structure, although things may change after 2011 if it turns out to be a critical facility.

Bishan Stadium in its current configuration can seat just 4,254 people. For the purpose of the games, 7,000 temporary seats will be added, after which the stadium reverts back to its mid-sized configuration typical of sub-urban stadiums around Singapore.

Congratulations Singapore, I'm more than happy with the result (even if I'm not fired by enthusiasm by the whole YOG concept). But this counts as a neighbourhood games for Australia, and it's great to finally see Singapore stand up and commit itself in the international hosting stakes.

Now, how about a 2018 Commonwealth Games bid?

I think sercurity help the bid a bit but hosting the IOC session back in 2005 was a major factor in Singapore win , I must say .

Aside from that, the compactness of the venue plan and the top-notch transportation system also helped.

Here's an overview of the SG bid:

Gaah, I have a feeling that the first OG I will attend is this.

As it goes, i'm proud to be a singaporean

Why Singapore 3 Moscow 2 (with reference to Olympique 3 Spartak 2 on aggregate last night)

factors for Singapore

Compact transport plans

Good security

Efficiency

factors for Moscow

Experience

Infrastructure

So Moscow says we're too hot for the games, but guess what, they think we're too hot to handle...so kudos Singapore (even if Moscow has 2 trump cards)

Gaah, I have a feeling that the first OG I will attend is this.

Well it may help that by 2010, there will be full liberal aviation rights between ASEAN capitals, so I hope for dirt cheap tickets between Singapore and the various cities including Manila. <_<

Singapore's selection to host the 2010 YOG also signifies that the IOC likes to spead things around, i.e., not giving it to Moscow since Russia had already won 2014 for Sochi in Guatemala last summer. So I don't think Rio should fool itself into thinking that 2014 will NOT be a big impediment to their 2016 ambitiions. IOC members have already said that 2014 coming before 2016 is NOT very promising.

So I think 2016 will come down to Tokyo (Hillary) vs. Chicago (Obama)!!