Vancouver 2030

8 minutes ago, stryker said:

But are the First Nations communities going to be the ones putting up all the funding? No that will likely be done by the city of Vancouver which means tax payer dollars. I'm all for an indigenous led bid but it still has to be paid for.

Indeed, but the cost of the bid, or the games, isn't as much as a concern in this case as it would be for the looks this referendum could cause it seems... It looks more like a political, or electoral, condrum I think...

I favor the idea of former hosts of summer/winter games being used all over again.

Since so many people, including at the IOC, are increasingly trying to be good guardians of Earth's environment, the era of building/tearing down/abandoning should go the way of landline phones and Polaroid cameras.

Since Vancouver hosted in 2010, why aren't they equipped to recycle things from only 12 years ago (counting from today) and host another winter games?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 11:22 PM, SkiFreak said:

Plenty of big leaked details about Vancouver's 2030 bid in this article from Castanet in Kelowna, BC:

Castanet: Multimillion-dollar museum replacement trumps Games as BC NDP 2030 funding priority

Includes deets about venue changes from 2010.

More deets and leaks from the potential Vancouver 2030 bid:

Castanet: Olympics at Sun Peaks? Sun Peaks considered as possible venue in Vancouver's Olympics bid, documents show

• 3 weeks later...

Seems doubtful. SLC is surely a lock-in, but one of the other two is sure to falter. And as of now, that looks more like Vancouver. Plus, having just two cities moving to "targeted dialog" will make it much easier for the IOC to do a double allocation with '34, than by still dealing with three cities by the end of the year.

Vancouver, Vancouver... Good news, you are actually near the gold in this race after Barcelona´s withdrawal! Why? Sapporo support seems a bit unrealible on the moment, in particular after Tokyo 2020 happened one year later than planned, and Salt Lake has a giant LA28 problem they would have to overcome to host in the now - 2030 instead of 2034 in this case.

If Sapporo becomes a non-starter, you will almost in the win. If they´re in, you are going to the vote, but considering there was recently two winter olympics in east asia... Yeah, you only need to wait USOPC make up their minds and choose to wait rather then go at it. If they do want now, the LA28 situation might be a bigger trump card in your favor in order to lure the voters.

You may be the hidden favorite and might not know it... 

1 hour ago, Guilga said:

Vancouver, Vancouver... Good news, you are actually near the gold in this race after Barcelona´s withdrawal! Why? Sapporo support seems a bit unrealible on the moment,

Have you not seen Vancouver's support numbers recently? They're even worse than Sapporo's ATM - 34% down from 43% last fall. So in Vancouver's case, support is going in the *wrong* direction.

1 hour ago, Guilga said:

Yeah, you only need to wait USOPC make up their minds and choose to wait rather then go at it. If they do want now, the LA28 situation might be a bigger trump card in your favor in order to lure the voters.

You're making this out like the ole' Olympic bid 'races' of the past, which it isn't that way any longer. There's no "voters" or 'hidden favorite' anymore, per se, just a rubber stamping of the full-membership over the IOC's E.B.'s cherry-picked candidate of their choosing for any given cycle of an Olympic Games.

The USOC has been pretty clear all along that they'd prefer 2034 anyway (particularly because of L.A. 2028). So that would depend a lot if Sapporo or Vancouver actually does wind up with 2030, & not necessarily that SLC is in direct competition with those two cities.

SLC only winds up with 2030, if both Sapporo & Vancouver falter. Otherwise, we're most liking seeing a double allocation, with SLC getting the latter winter Games, which is the one that the USOC wants anyway, much to SLC's chagrin.

2 hours ago, Guilga said:

Vancouver, Vancouver... Good news, you are actually near the gold in this race after Barcelona´s withdrawal! Why? Sapporo support seems a bit unrealible on the moment, in particular after Tokyo 2020 happened one year later than planned, and Salt Lake has a giant LA28 problem they would have to overcome to host in the now - 2030 instead of 2034 in this case.

If Sapporo becomes a non-starter, you will almost in the win. If they´re in, you are going to the vote, but considering there was recently two winter olympics in east asia... Yeah, you only need to wait USOPC make up their minds and choose to wait rather then go at it. If they do want now, the LA28 situation might be a bigger trump card in your favor in order to lure the voters.

You may be the hidden favorite and might not know it... 

I wouldn't say japan is unreliable because of the postponed 2020 olympics, Tokyo in fact had allmost all the venues in place before the games were even postponed in march 2020, that was almost 4 months before the games took place.

I think what they meant is that Sapporo’s support seems a bit unreliable because of the postponed Tokyo Games, not because  Japan is unreliable. At least that’s how I read it.

Especially when they’re making the comparison to Vancouver, who’s support numbers aren’t any better, & in fact are even worse than Sapporo’s.

22 minutes ago, FYI said:

Especially when they’re making the comparison to Vancouver, who’s support numbers aren’t any better, & in fact are even worse than Sapporo’s.

Welp. I would say that the circumstances still allow it to go through easier, but it seems LA28 is the only reason we have a semblance of a race then.

Still, even with rubber-stamping, which should be out of the picture with Barcelona out (Saramarch could have intervened then), I don't think they can't elevate more than one bid to target dialogue even with the new less-tansparecy format; it's just a question of making the executive board like you more than anything else and it seems Vancouver, Sapporo and Salt Lake tick the boxes there. The matter here is if these cities have something that can derail their bids.

For me, Vancouver is less bad in this regard with just weak support (did the Canadian Olympic committee officialized the bid already?); Sapporo against themselves have dubious support and a very recent Olympic east Asian tour, which included two winter games; Salt Lake have only the biggest roadblock of all to face, potential LA28 fatigue, else they could be a lock already.

If someone make the right calls at the right time...

1 hour ago, Guilga said:

Still, even with rubber-stamping, which should be out of the picture with Barcelona out (Saramarch could have intervened then), I don't think they can't elevate more than one bid to target dialogue even with the new less-tansparecy format; it's just a question of making the executive board like you more than anything else and it seems Vancouver, Sapporo and Salt Lake tick the boxes there. The matter here is if these cities have something that can derail their bids.

There also really isn't anything to keep them from elevating a bid to targeted dialog for another Olympic bid cycle, either. In this case, that would be 2034. 

I mentioned last night, in the 'SOC set to end 2030 Winter Olympic Bid' thread in the GB's newswire section, that I can see them elevate Sapporo & Vancouver to 'targeted dialog' for the 2030 winter Games (& having them two dual it out for those Games), & moving SLC to targeted dialog for 2034.

That right there, removes all the issues with SLC for 2030, & leaves the IOC E.B. to pick Sapporo or Vancouver for 2030. And if push comes to shove, & both Sapporo & Vancouver falter with public support in the end, then the IOC can turn to SLC as a last resort for the 2030 edition. 

• Like 1