Vancouver 2030

On 6/26/2022 at 11:17 AM, fusilli said:

well this would be almost the same cities/regions :rolleyes:

Not really.  Atlanta does not equal LA, and citizens of both cities would make that clear to anyone asking.  And I suspect that you'd hear the same from the citizens of Sydney and Brisbane.  The only city/region that's the same in this equation is SLC.  Even Nagano and Sapporo are very different parts of Japan (two different islands, for starters).

On 6/21/2022 at 6:25 PM, Guilga said:

Salt Lake have only the biggest roadblock of all to face, potential LA28 fatigue, else they could be a lock already.

One more reason why I'd prefer that the 2028 summer games have the most international theme of any Olympics in years. So if "Los Angeles" and "United States" are downplayed, the Hollywood/LA/CA/America nature of the 2028 games won't be as overt (and obnoxious) as "Beijing/China" was to 2008, "London/UK" was to 2012 or "Rio/Brazil" was to 2016. Therefore, SLC/USA 2030 and LA/USA 2028 won't seem too back-to-back.

35 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

One more reason why I'd prefer that the 2028 summer games have the most international theme of any Olympics in years. So if "Los Angeles" and "United States" are downplayed, the Hollywood/LA/CA/America nature of the 2028 games won't be as overt (and obnoxious) as "Beijing/China" was to 2008, "London/UK" was to 2012 or "Rio/Brazil" was to 2016. Therefore, SLC/USA 2030 and LA/USA 2028 won't seem too back-to-back.

So because there might be a Winter Olympics in the years following LA 2028, they're not allowed to highlight their own history and the stories they wish to tell?  You know that's not going to happen.  Even if SLC hosts in 2030, that's not a concern on the part of either OOC.  One more reason what you prefer is completely irrelevant

• Like 3

I'm fairly confident, recalling both the LA 84 ceremonies and the SLC 02 ceremonies, plus knowing how very different in character and history those two cities are that LA 28 and SLC 30/34 will also have very different ceremonies.  Sort of how Calgary 88 and Vancouver 10 were really different from each other.  

I've mentioned this before, but the idea of "distinct"/different regions to the most international of spectators (especially when we're talking about something as *international* as the Olympics), hardly registers at all to them.

Sure Atlanta & L.A., Sydney & Brisbane, Calgary & Vancouver, Turin & Milan, Nagano & Sapporo are all respectively distinct to one another (however, that's mainly apparent to people WITHIN those respective countries), but among all of those examples, with the exception of the latter two, the rest are English-speaking cities, to which to non-English speakers would hardly seem any different at all. So I can understand why many people in different countries would yawn at such a repeat lineup of host countries, even if they are in 'different' cities/regions. Even for myself, I'm much more excited about Paris 2024 than I am about L.A. 2028 or even Brisbane 2032.

This phenomenon, of course, also works in reverse. The same people who world argue that L.A. & Atlanta, Sydney & Brisbane, for example, are as unique & 'distinct' from one another, are the same ones that would say that Milan & Turin are just cities in (northern) Italy, or Nagano & Sapporo are just cities in Japan (& that's of course assuming, if they're even good at geography to begin with, let alone make distinctions about those cities, since most of us know the stereotype of how bad Americans are at [global] geography), without even for a moment trying to distinguish those cities from one another. 

All that said, though, the notion that Los Angeles 2028 should have "the most 'international theme' of any Olympics in years" is just as silly. L.A. should showcase L.A. for the very reason why many outside the U.S. don't quite understand how 'different' it is from Atlanta, or SLC for that matter. That's why it's even more important for cities, particularly the ones that are in repeat host countries, to separate themselves as much as they possibly can for that *international* audience. So that means NO "downplaying" your regional identities that will make you stand out from the rest in the same host country.

16 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

If you can´t show yourself off, whats the point of even bidding?
(That aside, let´s talk about the bid first in this thread and then when we actually have a host we start to obsess over the ceremonies here before that other poster comes here even more annoying thai i´m probably sounding at the moment?)

City identity is especially important if another city in your country happens to have accidentally ended up hosting its own Olympics 18 months after yours :ph34r: Shouldn't happen in theory now Salt Lake seems to be focused on 34, but you never know...

17 hours ago, FYI said:

I've mentioned this before, but the idea of "distinct"/different regions to the most international of spectators (especially when we're talking about something as *international* as the Olympics), hardly registers at all to them.

Sure Atlanta & L.A., Sydney & Brisbane, Calgary & Vancouver, Turin & Milan, Nagano & Sapporo are all respectively distinct to one another (however, that's mainly apparent to people WITHIN those respective countries), but among all of those examples, with the exception of the latter two, the rest are English-speaking cities, to which to non-English speakers would hardly seem any different at all. So I can understand why many people in different countries would yawn at such a repeat lineup of host countries, even if they are in 'different' cities/regions. Even for myself, I'm much more excited about Paris 2024 than I am about L.A. 2028 or even Brisbane 2032.

This phenomenon, of course, also works in reverse. The same people who world argue that L.A. & Atlanta, Sydney & Brisbane, for example, are as unique & 'distinct' from one another, are the same ones that would say that Milan & Turin are just cities in (northern) Italy, or Nagano & Sapporo are just cities in Japan (& that's of course assuming, if they're even good at geography to begin with, let alone make distinctions about those cities, since most of us know the stereotype of how bad Americans are at [global] geography), without even for a moment trying to distinguish those cities from one another. 

All that said, though, the notion that Los Angeles 2028 should have "the most 'international theme' of any Olympics in years" is just as silly. L.A. should showcase L.A. for the very reason why many outside the U.S. don't quite understand how 'different' it is from Atlanta, or SLC for that matter. That's why it's even more important for cities, particularly the ones that are in repeat host countries, to separate themselves as much as they possibly can for that *international* audience. So that means NO "downplaying" your regional identities that will make you stand out from the rest in the same host country.

Sounds a lot like the generic refrain about how little Americans know about international geography, which is absolutely true.  Not sure what it is in reverse for others who may have more of an appreciation of the geography of other countries.  And it's a fair point that I wouldn't think to distinguish between locations in Japan, whereas the locals there would tell me otherwise.  Would that play out in something like an Olympics opening ceremony?  I would like to think so.

To your point, I'm curious to see how a Milan-led Olympics would differ from that of Turin, especially just 20 years later.  I've been watching the Stanley Tucci series on Italy, so I'm gaining a little more of an appreciation for the distinct regions of Italy, so we'll see how that plays out.  Likewise with Brisbane, what stories will they tell to distinguish their games from Sydney?

As Americans, we don't have to question that with how LA will differ from Salt Lake, even if the rest of the world might just see "America" (and yes, it's ridiculous to just make it all generic international, although only 1 poster here seems to feel that way and most of us don't really care much what he thinks).  Slightly easier job for LA since there's been another Summer Olympics in the US since 1984.  Not so with Salt Lake, although I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Then there's Vancouver.  If they get 2030, how does a First Nations presentation differ from what we'll have only see 20 years earlier?  I'm sure if that happens, we'll be discussing that topic aplenty here

On 7/1/2022 at 11:49 PM, Quaker2001 said:

Sounds a lot like the generic refrain about how little Americans know about international geography, which is absolutely true.  Not sure what it is in reverse for others who may have more of an appreciation of the geography of other countries.  And it's a fair point that I wouldn't think to distinguish between locations in Japan, whereas the locals there would tell me otherwise.  Would that play out in something like an Olympics opening ceremony?  I would like to think so.

To your point, I'm curious to see how a Milan-led Olympics would differ from that of Turin, especially just 20 years later.  I've been watching the Stanley Tucci series on Italy, so I'm gaining a little more of an appreciation for the distinct regions of Italy, so we'll see how that plays out.  Likewise with Brisbane, what stories will they tell to distinguish their games from Sydney?

As Americans, we don't have to question that with how LA will differ from Salt Lake, even if the rest of the world might just see "America" (and yes, it's ridiculous to just make it all generic international, although only 1 poster here seems to feel that way and most of us don't really care much what he thinks).  Slightly easier job for LA since there's been another Summer Olympics in the US since 1984.  Not so with Salt Lake, although I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Then there's Vancouver.  If they get 2030, how does a First Nations presentation differ from what we'll have only see 20 years earlier?  I'm sure if that happens, we'll be discussing that topic aplenty here

Plenty of directions in First Nations cultural expression and storytelling that an opening ceremony can go if Vancouver are awarded the Games again in 2030 that will be very different to 2010.

On 7/4/2022 at 11:58 PM, iceman530 said:

yeah I didnt read that the first time through.......was assuming it was Vancouver poll.  BC poll is disingenuous but.......if thats what they wanna do to wordsmith and beat around the technicality bush, I guess send it.

It is a First Nations led bid not confined by the boundaries of the modern day city of Vancouver,

“Vancouver’s partners in the Host Nations Exploratory Assembly, which includes Resort Municipality of Whistler and the Musqueam, Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh and Lil’wat first nations, have not announced whether they formally back the bid.”

“With the International Olympic Committee (IOC) expected to name the host in fewer than 12 months, a report by Vancouver City Council has suggested that time is against it when looking to get behind a formal bid.”