The Milan Cortina Italy thread

• 2 months later...
On 12/11/2020 at 12:42 AM, yoshi said:

Wonder when Milan will launch their Games logo - I guess they're waiting for the virus to go.

Public will have several options to decide from starting this Sunday. Official Website

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. Recently we have seen some unique looks developed that thought the whole thing thrue from the beginning (such as Paris 2024 or Tokyo's original design for 2020). I guess with several works to choose from these will probably be logos-only approaches with the look having to be developed around it at a later stage. Or, like Vancouver or PyeongChang, just create a new look apart from the logo eventually.

Hey, who do they think they are - we've got the monopoly on Olympic logo democracy, dammit :P. In seriousness it'll be interesting to see what they come up with as options, hopefully they're all usable and there's no Logo McLogoface. How long will the vote be open for, and will we know the winner straightaway?

I dunno. They seem to plan a television exclusive after the Sanremo festival Saturday night (which is one the most viewed events in Italian television and sort of a national institution over there). It'll be especially interesting to see how they will deal with the two host cities. Italy has somewhat of a record of featuring a local sight in their logos (their bid logo had the Duomo, Rome's recent bid logos had the colosseum and Torino's actual games logo had a stylized version of this... tower-thingy, don't remember its name).

8 hours ago, munichfan said:

I dunno. They seem to plan a television exclusive after the Sanremo festival Saturday night (which is one the most viewed events in Italian television and sort of a national institution over there). It'll be especially interesting to see how they will deal with the two host cities. Italy has somewhat of a record of featuring a local sight in their logos (their bid logo had the Duomo, Rome's recent bid logos had the colosseum and Torino's actual games logo had a stylized version of this... tower-thingy, don't remember its name).

*after* the end of Sanremo? That’ll be around Sunday afternoon then instead of Saturday night...I’ve watched the first two nights this week and gave up half way through each time when only half the songs had been presented and a million guests plus Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Alex Schwazer talked endlessly...

I've found the source again. So, apparently, initial plans were to have the vote during Sanremo (throughout the week) and then present the winner design on a seperate occasion. If that were still to be the case, we would already know the entries. So I guess, they will no opt to show the designs during or at the end of the Sanremo final.

3 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

*after* the end of Sanremo? That’ll be around Sunday afternoon then instead of Saturday night...I’ve watched the first two nights this week and gave up half way through each time when only half the songs had been presented and a million guests plus Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Alex Schwazer talked endlessly...

I've nerver dared watch this as I was told this is basically a whole year of "Wetten, dass..?" packed into one week in terms of talking and special guests.

5 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Both not great looks, at least one has colours.

I wonder how one could seriously come up with a logo that is light grey on white. How will that look in a winter Olympics when it's mostly surrounded by white snow and light grey shadows? :unsure:

• Like 1

Both look somehow wrong or misplaced to me. For the grey one it's mostly the M and A in the font plus the grey colour. For the second one, it just seems to be a bit... misshaped. Whichever they choose, just give Vancouver or PyeongChang a call to learn how to succesfully hide your logo with the look of the games.

43 minutes ago, Jon Will Chambers said:

Given what I expected bit disappointing. The grey one looks like it has more potential, but the colour one for me seems very cheap. Rushed job?

These Logos are not cheap, they were carefully chosen to market the IOC'S vision of a cost-efficient games under the New Norm.

And that's why GB has the monopoly on Olympic logo democracy :P. Seriously, I don't know what exactly I was expecting but I was expecting better than that...I voted for the second one because its video was good and it hinted at a good look, even though the logo takes the whole 80s console look too far (that snowflake :blink:). The first one is just plain dull - grey on white?! And it rips off Birmingham's Commonwealth logo a bit. B also has a touch of Italy in the colours, although there's no hint of Milan in either. Very disappointed overall - @Jon Will Chambers you should've emailed the Milan committee with your comp winner. 

Both are a bit dissapointing but TeamFutura is the most elegant looking one for me, it reflects more about winter sports and it has certain touch of elegance.

Dado design is cringe, not only because they are trying to copy the idea from LA 2028 but they also do it badly, with pixel symbols which look like something more fitting for a videogame convention or the Youth Olympics.

Neither of them reaches the level of Torino 2006 logo and overall look, the later being my favorite winter Look of the Games of all time.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of being able to write the number in one stoke. But there isn't much how to use it. 

The first can be any color and the should have shown that. They should have opened with the drawing on the cold window. Then shown it drawn in different colors in different situations.  Like using a hockey stick in gravel. And a skater drawning it.

• Like 1