2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

What didn't help matters either, according to a couple of current & former Malaysian sporting officials, was obviously the short amount of time now to stage the 2026 event. Doing four years of work in only two years is "reckless". And another saying that why should they be the "savior" of the CWG's when Victoria dumped them & was willing to pay a penalty fee instead of hosting them, & now nobody else wants them.

So not a good look for the CGF. Maybe they should've included in their offer to Malaysia that they were also willing to push the event back to 2027, maybe that would've made a difference, since they they're considering that option anyway.

I thought this put it in context:

Khairy Jamaluddin, a former youth and sports minister, rubbished the idea and called it "reckless" because the Games are coming up fast, leaving little time for planning.

Any host would need at least four years to upgrade venues, plan sponsorship and set up infrastructure, he told AFP. 

"The Commonwealth Games is not a significant, marquee sporting event," he added.

"As far as multi-sports Games are concerned, it is nowhere near the Olympics or even the Asian Games in terms of participation, exposure and returns," Khairy said.

News.com

i was thinking, about the only place I could see that might actually get something out of the commies and ave a reason to bid could be Ahmedabad. If India really is serious about going for the Olympics, what better way to prove their capabilities and wash the stain of Delhi than to pull these off with two year’s notice. 

3 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

i was thinking, about the only place I could see that might actually get something out of the commies and ave a reason to bid could be Ahmedabad. If India really is serious about going for the Olympics, what better way to prove their capabilities and wash the stain of Delhi than to pull these off with two year’s notice.

Agreed, that would be it, but even they want it? The odds for failure are much, much higher than success with those conditions, so time constrained that, if it does go wrong, could damper a Ahmedabad bid much earlier than they would want. It's a very dangerous risk for a potential reward that they even still could not be considered for, a super dangerous gamble.

An successful Asian Games would have a higher chance for that desired reward with less risk? This is the money question here, if India is even considering the tought of hosting that mess. 

I read somewhere that Ahmedabad was interested in 2026, along with Christchurch for a "modified" version of the event. The thing with Ahmedabad, aren't they suppose to be building a lot of stuff anyway, in efforts to get the big shindig, the Olympics? So maybe they can still pull it off. What an irony of all ironies that would be to step up for the 2026 CWG's & then the 2032 Olympics. lol

And yeah, agree with Malaysian officials that the CWG's are hardly relevant on a global level to even be bothered in hosting them really. I've never watched them. I never watched any of those other multi-sporting events that are not the Olympics. So who wants to bother with the cost & headache if these other much lesser-tier, multi-sporting events aren't really going to give you the exposure that you're really looking for. OTOH, they can be used to get you the experience you need to get you the big plum, the Olympics, that you seek, like Ahmedabad, for example. So it's a catch-22 in that sense.

20 minutes ago, FYI said:

I read somewhere that Ahmedabad was interested in 2026, along with Christchurch for a "modified" version of the event.

That was GBMod’s GamesBids article. It’s what made me ponder Ahmedabad. And, yeah, supposedly they’ve already got, or are working on, most of the stuff to make them games-ready/no-new-buids under “New Norm” rules. Plus, the 2026-27 hosting window would likely fit in well for when the IOC might make their 2036 award.

2 hours ago, myki said:

If Accra can pull off a successful African Games which is currently on, then CGF could be looking there.

Just recently some people said exactly the same with Paraguay as host of the Pan American Games and Lima still won.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 6:03 PM, Gonzo said:

Didn't know that at all, that is very very very interesting and they would not need to build anything plus the CGF will give them $$$$$$

... and those $$$$$$ would go further in somewhere like Ghana than, say, UK, Canada, NZ or Singapore.

Now we can confirm this as DOA, or are we expecting Godot for a futile hope?

The Queen died, the republicanism is winning in prior colonies while ridding off the crown and the world is changing.

It's that or doing a multievent in different cities but keeping these on the same level as an Universiade (Or even smaller).

Multi-event gets too much. Ceremonies. Villages. Etc.

Do a Commonwealth Swimming Championships, just events only. No festivals. Athletes in hotels. Done.

Same for cycling. Same for athletics. Smaller events can get smaller places to host when all the bells and whistles are t required. Share the love around.

... or just stick with the Youth games and be done with it.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 3:14 PM, myki said:

Multi-event gets too much. Ceremonies. Villages. Etc.

Do a Commonwealth Swimming Championships, just events only. No festivals. Athletes in hotels. Done.

Same for cycling. Same for athletics. Smaller events can get smaller places to host when all the bells and whistles are t required. Share the love around.

... or just stick with the Youth games and be done with it.

The point of doing multievents is precisely to avoid ceremonies and villages. It's sharing events to different events. Precisely what you are proposing LMFAO!

6 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Not clicking anymore on links from that clownsite. What‘s the gist (if any)?

host city to be announced next month

I was going to post the BBC report on this earlier but I forgot. I'd be very intrigued to hear who these are. I can only assume it's someone who wants the bribe the CGF are offering & aren't sufficiently bothered by the unfortunate overtones of the history of it to turn it down like Singapore & Malaysia. And I can't imagine it's anywhere in the UK because we'd have heard something, or Australia because our members there would've heard something. Toronto maybe? Would NZ be more favourable with the new government in now?

• Thanks 1