2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

On 12/5/2023 at 1:17 AM, Sir Rols said:

Lol! And Ugh!

No sooner do I talk when…

King Charles and Queen Camilla plan visit down under in late 2024

I still stand by the opinion that this is going to stoke the Republic debate down here

I'd suggest that is an absolute certainty. There has certainly been an upswing in visible republican sentiments here in the UK since the late Queen's passing so I can't see why Australia would be any different, particularly with the time that has passed since the debate was at its height.

Going back to the 2026 debacle, I've spent the last few days in Yorkshire where there seems to be some discussion (at least in the press) about the possibility of some sort of northern coalition stepping up to host.

Yorkshire Post - Could Yorkshire come to Commonwealth Games' rescue? Alistair Brownlee gives his verdict

Yorkshire Live - Should Yorkshire and the North bid to host 2026 Commonwealth Games?

I can see the theory of spreading it both practically, given the shortage of time to get ready, and politically, both in terms of the huge challenges facing local government at the moment and the potential for this to promote other long-standing policy objectives in the north of England. But do I see it happening? Not really.

On 12/9/2023 at 5:44 PM, Victorian said:

Singapore also hosted the SEA Games in 2015 too which was also a major success. Singapore has all the facilities to host at a drop of a hat

If this was just hosting at a drop of a hat, why haven't we a host city YET for 2026 or 2027 yet? You must be really unrealistically naive to hope that.

Singapore has always been an "I wish it would host" of mine.

But even better if the Commonwealth Games were downsized with some sports on an eight year rotation?

As for the King and Queen doing their tour of Australia...I think we will see a different, possibly more hostile reception. The failed referendum will be an instant trigger for activists to create mayhem unless it's a short point to point tour.

And I doubt they will cross the ditch to New Zealand because it really will create mayhem thanks to the new Govt that has triggered leftist indigenous activists after a rollback of Maori language names and Treaty negotiations.  

The more right-leaning National/ACT/NZ First Government has absolutely no interest in hosting such an event as the CWGs so soon.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Alexjc said:

Singapore has always been an "I wish it would host" of mine.

But even better if the Commonwealth Games were downsized with some sports on an eight year rotation?

As for the King and Queen doing their tour of Australia...I think we will see a different, possibly more hostile reception. The failed referendum will be an instant trigger for activists to create mayhem unless it's a short point to point tour.

And I doubt they will cross the ditch to New Zealand because it really will create mayhem thanks to the new Govt that has triggered leftist indigenous activists after a rollback of Maori language names and Treaty negotiations.  

The more right-leaning National/ACT/NZ First Government has absolutely no interest in hosting such an event as the CWGs so soon.

Sounds to me like foreign European Royalty have absolutely no business visiting our part of the world.  They should stay in London. :) 

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 3:49 PM, Victorian said:

No bid from Yorkshire/Northern England as it won't receive support from the UK government. Governments continue to be the stumbling block with these bids! Bloody pollies! 

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/24009204.bid-yorkshire-city-host-commonwealth-games-fails/

Maybe you need to go live in Saudi Arabia or Qatar if you value mindless authoritarian spending on frivolities without any accountability. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Maybe you need to go live in Saudi Arabia or Qatar if you value mindless authoritarian spending on frivolities without any accountability. 

11 hours ago, Victorian said:

China.

Russia.

Nope, they are not part of the Commonwealth Union.

Singapore is my guess.

I guess the thing is that many cities can host at least a scaled-down version today if they choose to.

Melbourne. Sydney. Gold Coast. Singapore. Kuala Lumpur. Auckland. Vancouver. Toronto. Edinburgh.

etc. etc.

Facilities, accommodation, transport, volunteers. Things are there.

Purely it is the cost though. Athletes village. Security. Etc.

Of course Melbourne/Victoria won't host the Games, Edinburgh/Calgary have said no due to costs, as have the rest of Australia ... then you have the fact that Perth changed their mind to on the 2027 Special Olympics Summer Games due to costs, Barranquilla have just been stripped of the 2027 Pan American Games due to costs, and so on ...

Could it be that these massive multi-sport events can really only go to the Alpha cities of the world or those cities that can afford to run it at a loss (hello Saudi Arabia), or just be scaled back to the likes of Youth Commonwealth Games or Pacific Games size.

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

So here we are nearly March 2024, not a peep out of the CGF of what their plans for 2026 will be

All Australia & UK options out due to no government funding

An announcement about a delay to 2027 at least must be coming soon

We were told we would have more clarity come February 2024. We have only a few days to come and still have heard nothing but silence

Seeing the CGF have $380 million of Victorian taxpayers dollars in their back pocket

Hear me out here .....

Pay Qatar to host it

Not as crazy as it sounds, Qatar being a former British State is eligible to join the Commonwealth and could even have Qatar as a "invited guest entrant". The Asian Games have invited guest spots to Australia & NZ in the past

Well actually, my thought bubble was just that, but having done a some further googling

The guy that used to run the Inside The Games website (before he sold it to the Spanish bots), tweeted the exact same thought and he has good links to the CGF

So maybe not a crazy idea after all and Doha 2026/Bahrain 2026/Dubai 2026 it may be

15 hours ago, Gonzo said:

So here we are nearly March 2024, not a peep out of the CGF of what their plans for 2026 will be

All Australia & UK options out due to no government funding

An announcement about a delay to 2027 at least must be coming soon

I'm not so sure, mainly because I don't think the CGF has a better option than hoping something will somehow turn up. It's as bad as that. I can't see the Commonwealth Games being a more attractive event to host in a year's time than it is now, thus making a delay to 2027 pointless, and I also can't see how a decision to cancel the 2026 edition at this point (even if that comes with the aim of holding a centenary event in 2030) would be viewed as anything other than the equivalent of signing a final death warrant. 

Unless a left-field alternative like Qatar can be pulled off, it seems to me that the only hope remaining is some sort of London-based rescue act which probably would not need the same level of UK government support as other parts of the country.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Seeing the CGF have $380 million of Victorian taxpayers dollars in their back pocket

Hear me out here .....

Pay Qatar to host it

Not as crazy as it sounds, Qatar being a former British State is eligible to join the Commonwealth and could even have Qatar as a "invited guest entrant". The Asian Games have invited guest spots to Australia & NZ in the past

Even IF they wanted to join the Commonwealth (which itself is pretty doubtful - they’ve never expressed interest, nor is there any great political reason to lure them), they’ve already hosted the Asian Games, the FIFA World Cup and have their sights on the Olympics - why would they set their sights so low on such a dinky event as the Commies?

Off topic, but the Glasgow 2014 thread is closed.

Saturday I arrived back in Glasgow after 15 years of living in NZ. 

Just in time for Glasgow to host the World Indoor Athletics Championships on 1st March.

spacer.png

Another legacy from the 2014 comm games, showing that cities can benefit from hosting these events. Over the last 10 years Glasgow has hosted so many world class events.

• Like 2

The problem is that, from a purely financial perspective, this is a case of losing money on a large event for the sake of losing more money on smaller future events. Nearly all sporting events -even the big ticket events like the World Cup- lose money for the host cities once you factor in external costs like increased policing.

That's not to say that hosting sporting events is inherently bad. But the ability to host yet more events in the future doesn't address the concerns people have which are putting events like the Commonwealth Games and potentially even the Winter Olympics in jeopardy.

• Thanks 1