2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

Accra was mentioned, and then never spoken of again. With the infrastructure from African Games just used, it would be an ideal time for some "fresh faces". I fet though they probably want a safe bet so will probably end up in Glasgow.

1 hour ago, myki said:

Accra was mentioned, and then never spoken of again. With the infrastructure from African Games just used, it would be an ideal time for some "fresh faces". I fet though they probably want a safe bet so will probably end up in Glasgow.

Glasgow would be a safe bet for a short timeframe i.e. 2 years however Accra could be looked at as a host with a longer run in time such as 2030

On 4/27/2024 at 9:30 PM, Victorian said:

Glasgow would be a safe bet for a short timeframe i.e. 2 years however Accra could be looked at as a host with a longer run in time such as 2030

If there's no cash on the table like for 2026, I wonder which city would be up for 2030, if not Accra.

Let's wait and see, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Meant to have a new host this month but we are getting towards the end of the month and no answer as yet

Checked the CGF website, there hasn't even been a new article or entry since 19 April. Very concerning...

14 hours ago, Victorian said:

Meant to have a new host this month but we are getting towards the end of the month and no answer as yet

How long will we need until accepting no one wants to host the event -at least in the current conditions-?

Every day passes and this is deader than ever.

1 hour ago, myki said:

If 2026 happens, it will be Glasgow or possibly Accra. I don't imagine there would be any new surprises!

The main issue is, right now we're in Mid May 2024, just 1.5-2 years for the event. Even for the cities with all the infrastructure ready that's a short window of time, why? You need to secure the budget, security, protocols... That took time. And that's not counting even among the best prepared countries there's always one or two non counted events. Even for 2030, it's late now. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, myki said:

Another week goes by

Another week of silence ...

The CGF categorically stated that they will have a host announced by the end of May:

We are now working collaboratively with the relevant Commonwealth Games Associations (CGAs) to undertake further detailed assessments, and aim to announce the 2026 Commonwealth Games Host in May. Our CGAs have asked, and we have agreed, to keep their proposals confidential while this process is on-going.

We still have one full week to go. I don't understand why they would put the above in writing if they had nothing to show for it. 

If by next weekend there is still no word, then I suppose what everyone is thinking is true: the event is over, and the organisation is deeply in denial, and unable to properly manage the situation. 

I feel like they'll pull something out of the bag on by next Friday - but you never know. They seem like they've been playing a game of bluff for a long time. 

• Thanks 1

... which doesn't make sense.

Accra and Glasgow have already publicly put their hand up to say they are interested. Nothing to hide there.

Perhaps all just smoke and mirrors before dying a slow Comm Games death. Fingers crossed this is not the case though.

12 hours ago, SportLightning said:

If it's not announced this month and then no news. Then the 2026 edition would be cancelled and push to 2030.

I would say, if this is indeed the fate the CGF faces, that is more likely that they are heading to their funeral, given the state of things at the moment.

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Maybe that Spanish site misheard and instead of "Olympic Games" and "2036", Qatar just signed up for the "Commonwealth Games" and "2026"...:P

It's Qatar, it could very well be both! And hey, they do have a history with the britsh crown as a protectorate for a while, coming from the ottoman realm. 

"We are now working collaboratively with the relevant Commonwealth Games Associations (CGAs) to undertake further detailed assessments, and aim to announce the 2026 Commonwealth Games Host in May. Our CGAs have asked, and we have agreed, to keep their proposals confidential while this process is on-going."

Well, its now 12:20am on June 1 in London. 

It's not an excuse - the purdah period is taken seriously by all parties, or at least should be. Parties can commit to supporting a Glasgow hosting in their manifesto or when asked - & if they all do then it'd be a sure thing - but they can't go making an official announcement of hosting & budgeting until after the election - although I don't actually know if it applies to the Scottish devolved government too, whether they could have the authority to announce now. @Rob2012?

That said it's only a stinking plaster even if it goes through, it probably won't be a Commonwealth Games of the kind we've had even from 2014-22, & we're now already behind on 2030. Maybe it would be for the best to admit defeat & accept its time is done. But until there's absolutely no way left, you can't blame the CGF for trying to salvage it. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With a new government in the UK perhaps we may see a change of fate and London may now be in the running for 2026 if Glasgow doesn’t proceed forward. 

I have contacted Commonwealth Games Scotland and the Commonwealth Games Federation for comment.