Jump to content

2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?


Recommended Posts

Very disappointing.
 

No GC/Perth bid for 2026/27 sadly due to lack of state and federal support. 


https://www.theage.com.au/national/gold-coast-scraps-bid-to-host-troubled-2026-commonwealth-games-20231204-p5eopf.html?btis=

 

looks like the games will be going to one of the other two regions that expressed interest in hosting the games. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Very disappointing.
 

No GC/Perth bid for 2026/27 sadly due to lack of state and federal support. 


https://www.theage.com.au/national/gold-coast-scraps-bid-to-host-troubled-2026-commonwealth-games-20231204-p5eopf.html?btis=

 

looks like the games will be going to one of the other two regions that expressed interest in hosting the games. 

 

Denial is not a river in Egypt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Victorian said:

Very disappointing.
 

No GC/Perth bid for 2026/27 sadly due to lack of state and federal support. 


https://www.theage.com.au/national/gold-coast-scraps-bid-to-host-troubled-2026-commonwealth-games-20231204-p5eopf.html?btis=

 

looks like the games will be going to one of the other two regions that expressed interest in hosting the games. 

 

if still possible. 

We're reaching 2024 and no news which makes the optimism growing (far the opposite). At this stage is more likely if the event is postponed if not cancelled. 

Maybe these games are linked with Queen Elizabeth II fate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Roger87 said:

Maybe these games are linked with Queen Elizabeth II fate.

Even if not, maybe they should be.

It’s telling that our new King still hasn’t seen fit top visit any of his “realms” outside the UK. Of course, it’s not like he’d get the reception his mother did. Indeed, any visit to Australia, for example, would only re-spark the debate over a Republic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Victorian said:

We would be due for an Asian host

We would be due any host outside the UK or Australia. Or make that, we would be due any host at all.

Which could be unlikely anyway. This (quite good) analysis says India is also unlikely.

Out of time? Unloved Commonwealth Games faces uphill battle to survive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never really understood why Singapore haven't tried for a Commonwealth Games yet. Experienced, everything still there from the Youth Olympics, exotic (by which I mean not UK or Australia), always wanting to show off that airport, money to burn... I'd have thought they'd be able to get in for 26 tbh. Do they not realise they're in the Commonwealth? Is their relationship to it a bit colder than Australia's?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

It’s telling that our new King still hasn’t seen fit top visit any of his “realms” outside the UK. Of course, it’s not like he’d get the reception his mother did. Indeed, any visit to Australia, for example, would only re-spark the debate over a Republic.

Lol! And Ugh!

No sooner do I talk when…

King Charles and Queen Camilla plan visit down under in late 2024

I still stand by the opinion that this is going to stoke the Republic debate down here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

Lol! And Ugh!

No sooner do I talk when…

King Charles and Queen Camilla plan visit down under in late 2024

I still stand by the opinion that this is going to stoke the Republic debate down here

I guess this is part of the destiny. Australia dropping any trace of colonial dominion and becoming a proper Republic. 

But agreed on the prior point. Probably time to rid off the Commonwealth Games, or at least, the Games as we know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, yoshi said:

I've never really understood why Singapore haven't tried for a Commonwealth Games yet. Experienced, everything still there from the Youth Olympics, exotic (by which I mean not UK or Australia), always wanting to show off that airport, money to burn... I'd have thought they'd be able to get in for 26 tbh. Do they not realise they're in the Commonwealth? Is their relationship to it a bit colder than Australia's?

agree that it would be somewhere like Singapore that could be the circuit breaker at this time - however they've never bidded. I would have thought KL hosting 1998 would have given them the push to go for 2010 or something but they never did. Perhaps they might have if the YOG never happened. 

I genuinely think the CGF is saving face and talking **** when they say there are "three" interested parties. 

I think at this point their options are to

1) Cancel 2026 and move onto securing a host for 2030 

2) Stage 2026 in early 2027 (increasingly unlikely and would start to conflict with other confirmed events in this year, World Champs etc)

3) Cancel the event entirely and reposition themselves as a Foundation that supports Commonwealth athletes at other sporting events like the Olympics. 

Regardless of which avenue they take they need to cut the victim rubbish and admit that they are ultimately responsible for this - not Victoria or any other party. The engine has been sputtering for decades and now we're in the nosedive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They could also transform the single games model into a separate group of Commonwealth events. For example athletics in London, diving & swimming in Melbourne, gymnastics in Toronto, archery in Mumbai, rugby in Durban, et al. Europe uses this model for their sporting championships instead of having a single games like the Asian Games or Pan-American Games.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Victorian said:

I wonder who the other regions that have expressed interest?

India? Singapore? Malaysia?

We would be due for an Asian host

At this stage, it's better accepting the reality.

We're only due of 2 years and nothing has come in fruction. Even if somehow happens, is now too late for the 2026 edition. And it's doubtful considering if other regions had expressed interest, that would came before. 

Nacre gave a good proposal, but that's only if the committee really wanted to save this. Time is ticking fast. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Nacre said:

They could also transform the single games model into a separate group of Commonwealth events. For example athletics in London, diving & swimming in Melbourne, gymnastics in Toronto, archery in Mumbai, rugby in Durban, et al. Europe uses this model for their sporting championships instead of having a single games like the Asian Games or Pan-American Games.

That just seems like more work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Australian Kiwi said:

That just seems like more work.

It could work, if manage to bring the proper schedule (This time the events won't be in a short timeline for example) and the key conditions with flexible regulations. More like they do international championships. But of course, that requires direct talks and work to certain parties asap. 

It's that or just cancelling the 2026 event. Unless they are so naive and hopeful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

That just seems like more work.

It is more work for the CGF. But it has the benefit of being able to use the existing hotels, arena/stadium security staff, and so on already present in the host city.

A city like Melbourne, Toronto or Manchester will host lots of smaller sports and entertainment events each year. The existing infrastructure can be used for a smaller event such as the European Archery Championships without the need to build an athletes village or hire a huge number of temporary workers. The same would be true of a "Commonwealth Archery Championships".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2023 at 11:28 AM, BigVic said:

Singapore is a possible host joint with Malaysia 

The Singapore Sports Hub could host majority of events, hold a few over the border in Johor Bahru (e.g. Rugby 7s in their new stadium) and bingo, got it covered.

Whether for 2026/27 though, who knows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...