Beijing/Zhangjiakou 2022

The premise that Beijing can deliver is also based on their spending billions upon billions of dollars. I don't doubt that's the case here, but we're also talking about mountain venues more than stadiums and arenas which are easier to find a use for. They're basically being asked to build a Winter resort from scratch. Almaty has done that, albeit just on a smaller scale. The question for Beijing is what exactly are they delivering here? Will it be something where they're at least attempting to leave a legacy or just a one shot deal that may or may not have any use post-Games. Obviously the IOC is in a bind here as they have no good options, but that's what they're faced with.

My guess is that it's the opposite. Ski resorts need a lot fewer users and have lower operational costs than big stadiums and arenas. Ski resorts also supply their own entertainment, so there's no worry about building venues and then not having any anchor tenant for them. As we saw with Beijing's main stadium. To put it another way, if Idaho can maintain ski resorts then I'm sure northern China will be able to.

There are a lot of environmental and human rights concerns with another Chinese Olympics, but China is going to host a winter games at some point. It might as well be now.

Yeah, Beijing doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to Olympic Legacy. I remember seeing something about some of the Beijing 2008 venues a few years later and some of the venues weren't being used. London 2012 did learn from that and built some temporary venues (It's not me being biased, just wanted to use it as an example).

Sigh... two ambitious countries battling for Winter Olympics.

One must renovate the opening/closing venues, other venues are ready since the last AWG.

The other one already hosted the Olympics and converting existing venues to winter sport venues.

Looks like I'm going to be silent audience and wait until end of July 2015 :P

Sigh... two ambitious countries battling for Winter Olympics.

One must renovate the opening/closing venues, other venues are ready since the last AWG.

The other one already hosted the Olympics and converting existing venues to winter sport venues.

Looks like I'm going to be silent audience and wait until end of July 2015 :P

At least it will be more events for Beijing 2008's venues.

• Like 1

Also, the IOC might give China another chance to prove they can sort out their Human Rights and Environment issues. We all probably think that won't happen, but who knows.

• Like 1

Also, the IOC might give China another chance to prove they can sort out their Human Rights and Environment issues. We all probably think that won't happen, but who knows.

If China wanted to prove that, they wouldn't have to wait for the Olympics as an opportunity, could just as well start tomorrow. Reality is: the IOC is in a trap for 2022 and will have the choice between plague and cholera. In reality, neither of those two left standing should ever have come near the prize, at least at this point in time.

• Like 1

If China wanted to prove that, they wouldn't have to wait for the Olympics as an opportunity, could just as well start tomorrow. Reality is: the IOC is in a trap for 2022 and will have the choice between plague and cholera. In reality, neither of those two left standing should ever have come near the prize, at least at this point in time.

True, but what better way is there to show the World that they are improving Human Rights and Environment issues then during the FIFA World Cup or Olympics.

Excuse me if somebody has already broached this idea (as I've been avoiding the 2022 stuff as if it were a plague), but the IOC should call off 2022, let Qatar host the WC in February. Then declare that the Centennial Winter Games will be held in 2024 with a fresh slate of bidders. Then resume the regular rotation in 2026.

Excuse me if somebody has already broached this idea (as I've been avoiding the 2022 stuff as if it were a plague), but the IOC should call off 2022, let Qatar host the WC in February. Then declare that the Centennial Winter Games will be held in 2024 with a fresh slate of bidders. Then resume the regular rotation in 2026.

No one broached that idea. Mostly because it's not a very good idea. FIFA's problems are theirs to deal with. Just because the IOC has a less than ideal situation in terms of the bid cities doesn't mean they should throw in the towel and not have an Olympics. Besides, what happens if they do that and they don't get a wealth of bidders for the 2024 Winter Olympics? They're not out there for 2022. Very presumptuous to assume they would enter the fray 2 years later. Not a risk worth taking.

You actually thought I was serious (question mark, that key doesn't seem to work on my laptop). A little levity does not hurt once in a while around here. It might, however, have been a great idea for the annual April 1st article and I think a lot of people might have fallen for it.

You actually thought I was serious (question mark, that key doesn't seem to work on my laptop). A little levity does not hurt once in a while around here. It might, however, have been a great idea for the annual April 1st article and I think a lot of people might have fallen for it.

theysavedlisasbrain4.png

On this site it's tough to tell. And I disagree.. moments of levity would be appreciated if they didn't get confused with irrational thoughts that some people here insist should be taken seriously. Yes, that does sound like a suggestion someone would make on this site and think it's a great idea

I re-read my post and I can see that the sarcasm really did fall flat so Quaker's reaction, given what we do deal with here, is certainly understandable. My apologies for my initial reaction. I'm done with 2022 now, and this time I mean it.

Their countdown that apparently was cancelled at the very last minute because of a stampede in Shanghai.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/31/world/asia/china-shanghai-new-years-stampede/index.html

it was a different one cancelled the promotional one still happens...

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/12/31/orig-new-years-celebrations-around-the-world.cnn.html

Glad to see the stadium being used for something...

and was the Paris one moved this year, or did they have 2 different public ones? I usually see them using the Eiffel Tower as the center of their New Year's celebration, not the Arc de Triomphe

Yeah, Beijing doesn't use the Bird's Nest as much as it should be used. They will be using it though this Year at the 2015 IAAF World Athletics Championships.

Which I find astonishing from a city of over 20 million people, in a country of over 1 billion people.

Is it really that astonishing? What events would you like them to hold there? Soccer isn't a huge sport in China to the point they could fill an 80,000 seat stadium. Same for track & field competitions. So that just leaves one-off events like concerts and other special events. The football team that plays in Beijing (they play home games at Workers Stadium) looks like they draw about 40,000 per game. So it's not like they need to play in a larger stadium.

Is it really that astonishing? What events would you like them to hold there? Soccer isn't a huge sport in China to the point they could fill an 80,000 seat stadium. Same for track & field competitions. So that just leaves one-off events like concerts and other special events. The football team that plays in Beijing (they play home games at Workers Stadium) looks like they draw about 40,000 per game. So it's not like they need to play in a larger stadium.

What he means is, the most populated Country in the World and China can't fill 80,000 seats. At least it will be used this Year, for the IAAF World Athletics Championships. Football is played in China though, just not as much as it is in say, here in England or in Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy, France, Brazil etc.

What he means is, the most populated Country in the World and China can't fill 80,000 seats. At least it will be used this Year, for the IAAF World Athletics Championships. Football is played in China though, just not as much as it is in say, here in England or in Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy, France, Brazil etc.

I think you mean "third most populous city"? seeing how Beijing is not the first (Shanghai is). You pretty much just said "China and China," mate. And really, events need to be held to be able to fill those seats. The Nest really isn't getting love thus the seats can't be filled. There just isn't really a steady flow of attractions. Its sad seeing the Birds Nest decay. I like it quite a lot.

I doubt it will be a sellout. Will be great to know..