Ceremonies at Floating Stadium

So, as you probably already know (specially Singaporeans) Youth Olympic Games' ceremonies will be held at Marina Bay Floating Stadium.

Floating_Stadium_03.jpg

floating-stadium-3.jpg

img_ndp0701.jpg

It looks like that it's an interesting choice for Organizing Comitee :D So what do you think we could see at the ceremonies at that venue? :P

I don't think it'll be anything different from something could be staged on dry land. THe only difference is that you are more hampered by s lack of space in the stage area....therefore you have a more limited space for all the elements of a show. The one plus might be having like "aqautic performers" arise from the lagoon...but so what? And you could have more fireworks over the waters and have that double reflection, but other than that it'll depened on the substance and execution of the show. The setting really becomes secondary unless used wisely.

Like Baron said, the stage is kinda more or less what we're used to, except its surrounded by water. They should use this element to make the ceremony more interesting. Singapore usually makes awesome shows like the National Day Parade, on which they always used different elements (although they used to be more massive when the old National Stadium still existed..). Ivan Heng will make the artistic portions. He worked on the last NDP which was held also on the Marina Bay, so he has experience already at this stage.

These are some videos of the NDP 2009 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efts6uAUaTI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfKMogjV9Sc&feature=related

Like Baron said, the stage is kinda more or less what we're used to, except its surrounded by water. They should use this element to make the ceremony more interesting. Singapore usually makes awesome shows like the National Day Parade, on which they always used different elements (although they used to be more massive when the old National Stadium still existed..). Ivan Heng will make the artistic portions. He worked on the last NDP which was held also on the Marina Bay, so he has experience already at this stage.

These are some videos of the NDP 2009 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efts6uAUaTI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfKMogjV9Sc&feature=related

Looking at those videos makes me think that the ceremonies will be spectacular :D but it doesn't look like they'll use the surrounding water as part of the show if they use that same kind of scenery :blink:

Looking forward to it - hoping for waterfall of some sort myself!

Fireworks + Reflections could be really beautiful.

Having said that I'm guessing it won't be broadcast over here.

I noticed in an IOC press release it said that the games would be streamed live and on demand on Singapore 2010's website and the IOC's site. Broadcast rights will also be offered for free to broadcasters who guarentee certain levels of coverage. The press release have been quoted in this thread:

Well, I'm glad it's going to be streamed live. I doubt any broadcaster here would be kind enough to spend an hour or two talking about this games. :(

How is the broadcast going to be in Singapore?

Well, I'm glad it's going to be streamed live. I doubt any broadcaster here would be kind enough to spend an hour or two talking about this games. :(

How is the broadcast going to be in Singapore?

For what I heard, the local cable operator, Starhab will be dedicating two channels especially for the games. They did the same for Beijing and the Asian Youth Games last year. Broadcasts worldwide will be free on the games website

It looks like that it's an interesting choice for Organizing Comitee :D So what do you think we could see at the ceremonies at that venue? :P

Well, the Bay behind the studium is a freshwater reservoir I highly doubt any performance on water. Fireworks expect lots of em. Thousands gather around the Bay each year for National Day (9 Aug) so I expect the commitee to plan some month long event starting from the first week of August.

I just hope they don't rope in that typical four races cliche thing for the ceremonies. Expect schools to be somewhat involve. During the Asian Youth Games, the ceremonies involved dance troupes and bands from various schools. The organising commitee also invited school representitives from almost all high schools.

• 2 weeks later...

SINGAPORE - The opening ceremony for the Beijing Olympics, which reportedly cost over US$100 million ($140 million), is widely regarded as the greatest-ever curtain raiser for the summer Games.

And organisers of the opening and closing ceremonies of the inaugural 2010 Youth Olympic Games here, whose budget is a fraction of Beijing's, have cautioned against expecting anything similar.

Nevertheless, they are confident an estimated television audience of more than 2 billion globally, will still get a great show.

Mr Ivan Heng, creative director of both ceremonies, told a news conference at The Float@Marina Bay yesterday: "We can still make a good show with a small budget and with a lot of heart that will engage and entertain." The acclaimed actor, director and playwright added: "Singapore is not Beijing, New York, Tokyo or Shanghai. We can be humble, but creative. That's the Singapore story. We are a little red dot that can and has always punched above our weight."

Brigadier-General Ishak Ismail, chairman of the ceremonies' executive committee, added: "It's a brand new story, it's about blazing the trail. It's not about comparisons with the summer Games. The test bed is the reaction of people towards the opening and closing ceremonies in the context of the Youth Games."

Both ceremonies, lasting two hours, will be staged at The Float@Marina Bay on Aug 14 and 26, respectively.

The opening ceremony will start at 8.10pm and will be watched by 150,000 spectators around the Marina Bay area, including 25,000 seated across The Float@Marina Bay.

The Singapore Youth Olympic Games Organising Committee (Syogoc) has a Government-funded budget of US$75 million and about $50 million in sponsorship so far to organise the Games.

The Games will feature 3,600 athletes aged between 14 and 18 in over 200 events across 26 sports.

While declining to reveal costs, Syogoc deputy chief executive officer Francis Chong said: "Enough will be spent to create a show that will move, excite and entertain."

About 7,600 performers aged between eight and 21 will perform in segments based on Singapore's history as a port city, with special water effects and "never-seen-before" fireworks by top British fireworks designer Michael Lakin.

"We have the opportunity to do a show on a very unusual space and against a very beautiful backdrop," said Mr Heng. "They will be witnessing the beginning of a new Olympic movement."

Some 50,000 tickets - 25,000 for each ceremony - will go on sale on April 23. They will be priced at $30, $80, $120 and $200 for the opening ceremony, and $15, $40 and $80 for the closing.

Due to the limited seating capacity, tickets will be balloted.

05:55 AM Apr 09, 2010

http://www.todayonline.com/Sports/EDC100409-0000096/Theyll-raise-the-curtain-on-the-YOG

• 1 month later...

Bump time!

More details of the opening ceremony have been released, you can check the following link to read more.

http://www.singapore2010.sg/public/whyohgee/en/en_the_games_section/en_updates/en_occ.html

I'll put the render of the stage at the Marina Bay, as well for the current status of its construction

occ10.jpg

Before: the world's largest floating platform at Marina undergoes major transformation

stage.jpg

After: You're looking at a stage filled with water. A semi-elliptical lake with its reflective surface will add a new dimension to the visual effects of the show (Artist illustration)

• 1 month later...

hm. sounds classy.

A FORMER Sydney stripper has taken pole dancing out of the red light district and on to the world stage after being picked to choreograph part of the opening ceremony for the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore next month.

Twenty podiums and poles have been put up among the seating at the giant stadium and the dancers will perform 5m above the audience.

http://www.news.com.au/national/former-stripper-does-the-youth-olympics/story-e6frfkvr-1225889152183#ixzz0t2wB3VSi

Hmmm...I'd wager that the budget for these Ceremonies is in the ballpark of US$10-million?

The IOC and Singapore organizers must be kidding themselves to think that they'll reach a worldwide television audience of a billion...nowhere close. Not even the Commonwealth or Pan Am Games attract those kinds of ratings.

LOL...I had to laugh when I read articles that mentioned how the show would be much smaller than the Beijing Ceremonies. Is that really needed? :lol:

It might be carried on that Universal channel, hopefully. If not, there's always YouTube.

Funny...the opening number in Stephen Sondheim's 1976 show, PACIFIC OVERTURES, is called "The Advantages of Floating in the Middle of the Sea." I wonder if they will use that number.

Edited by baron-pierreIV