Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

In 1984, LA used stadiums in Boston and Maryland and for the football

In 1996, Atlanta used stadiums in Miami and Washington

In 2000, Sydney used stadiums Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne

In 2008, Beijing used stadiums in Shanghai

and if you look at the LA, NY and Chicago bids for 2012 and 2016, the football was spread around

There is no reason not to use stadiums in Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Montreal to host the football group games before moving the semi finals and finals close to Toronto.

Vancouver, Edmonton and Winnipeg are all at least one time zone away I doubt it. Vancouver is 4200km away. To put that in context Toronto is 5500km away from London.

In 1984, LA used stadiums in Boston and Maryland and for the football

In 1996, Atlanta used stadiums in Miami and Washington

In 2000, Sydney used stadiums Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne

In 2008, Beijing used stadiums in Shanghai

and if you look at the LA, NY and Chicago bids for 2012 and 2016, the football was spread around

There is no reason not to use stadiums in Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Montreal to host the football group games before moving the semi finals and finals close to Toronto.

Canada is enormous. Vancouver would seriously be pushing it. And if it's true that Perth was impractical from Sydney's perspective, BC would not be doable.

Vancouver, Edmonton and Winnipeg are all at least one time zone away I doubt it. Vancouver is 4200km away. To put that in context Toronto is 5500km away from London.

and Los Angeles is 4,800km to Boston

In 2016, Chicago proposed LA 3,300km away

I think a Toronto bid should focus on their region for all sports events including football. Ontario & Quebec are more than sufficient to do a good OG, you can of course add Nova Scotia, Labrador & New brunswik for the sailing stuff but that's it

Besides BC & Vancouver already got their olympic glory.

I think a Toronto bid should focus on their region for all sports events including football. Ontario & Quebec are more than sufficient to do a good OG, you can of course add Nova Scotia, Labrador & New brunswik for the sailing stuff but that's it

Besides BC & Vancouver already got their olympic glory.

No way. Toronto has a perfect sailing venue 10 mins from a proposed athletes village.

QMI: When will we see Canada bid for an Olympic Games again? You have a great connection to Quebec City. There’s always talk there will be a bid for the next available Winter Games which would be in 2022.

Aubut: My is my job to encourage any city in my country, in our country. I have a coast-to-coast job and I really do see it that way. If Toronto is the best chance to get the Summer Games, perfect, I am going to be there for them. If Quebec is the best place, the best bid to get us the Winter Games, which would be fantastic, let’s do it. I really want the cities being very interested in international events including Olympics and the world championships. Pan-Am Games is also going to help with Toronto. We are going to make a huge success of that. It’s going to be very close to what the Olympics could be. That’s why on the Canadian Olympic Committee we have full-time staff having the mandate to go see mayors of different cities to say, ‘This competition that is coming, it’s for you. It’s a good fit for you.’ Then they can justify building a new venue in that area. Often there isn’t enough interest because people don’t know the inventory of those possibilities. That’s a new platform for the COC.”

Source

I think its interesting he mentioned Toronto first.

No way. Toronto has a perfect sailing venue 10 mins from a proposed athletes village.

My bad i didn't know that sorry!

But what i meant is that if Toronto needs somethin ouf of the city for any sport events, it should be in Ontario area & the Quebec, East Canada in fact. Not anyway near the West.

I think all events will stay within the Ontario region including Soccer. It will obviously be in Hamilton, Ottawa, Vaughan, 2-3 venues in Toronto (BMO, UofT, and Rogers Centre)

I have a question for those that can remember back to 2001. With Toronto's 2008 bid, I know Rowing and Canoeing was supposed to be held at Lake Ontario. I know the IOC brought up security concerns with this. Was this the only criticism with this specific venue?

I think all events will stay within the Ontario region including Soccer. It will obviously be in Hamilton, Ottawa, Vaughan, 2-3 venues in Toronto (BMO, UofT, and Rogers Centre)

I have a question for those that can remember back to 2001. With Toronto's 2008 bid, I know Rowing and Canoeing was supposed to be held at Lake Ontario. I know the IOC brought up security concerns with this. Was this the only criticism with this specific venue?

Yes it was.

I really liked the potential with that venue. Hmmm, I wonder if they can overcome that security concern with a 2024 bid or else it will be held in St.Catherines.

Actually I don't think it would have been moved. It was actually a good idea IMO. I think St.Catherines is too far, maybe Marylin Bell Park.

Just as they did in Vancouver, are you in favor of Toronto holding a plebiscite on the Olympic Bid. Should Toronto bid for the 2024 Olympics? Yes or No. Put to the people.

My guess is it would be split down the middle (Torontonians can't think 12 years ahead, no vision), with the naysayers more vocal. But as games time approaches, everyone gets on board.

Just remembered a piece of news, regarding and off-topic remark by a certain ophthalmologist from UBC from either CBC or CTV, during London 2012. VANOC and the COC sure knows him well because he was "public enemy #1." Yep, still calls Vancouver 2010 "the biggest mistake Canada has taken so far." 2 years after it is all over and he is still shooting his mouth about he is "anti-Olympic" and so forth.

Anyway, rumors has it that he may join forces with BnC, and other like groups, to protest at Toronto 2015 Pan American Games and the 2015 Women's World Cup venues. Just rumors, nothing more. Like, doesn't he have thesis papers and course teachings in UBC's faculty of medicine's ophthalmology department to worry about MORE than protesting at these events? I wonder how the UBC views this guy now.

Edited by Guardian
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...