Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

Zip. Im not sure why Sheep brought up Syria or North Korea in the first place (though he claims it was FYI). I was hoping to get to a dead end that would let everybody start over and move on.

Looking back a couple of pages, FYI brought up Syria. Sheep brought up North Korea. And a fairly pointless argument devolved from there (I probably shouldn't talk, as if I haven't been a part of a couple of those myself).

All Canada's cities seem to be in competition with each other. The Toronto community was clearly building up for an Olympic bid and I can see one coming for 2024.

Though they were already usurped in their bid for the World Police and Fire Games in 2017 by Montreal. These kind of events are necessary to prove a track record and if Toronto can't even beat it's neighbours (Calgary also bid for the event) then what chance does it have.

Buenos Aires have got a list of 'Other Olympics' as long as your arm (just as Turkey do), they'll be in for 2024, if they can bring it back to South America so soon

Zip. Im not sure why Sheep brought up Syria or North Korea in the first place (though he claims it was FYI). I was hoping to get to a dead end that would let everybody start over and move on.

I never brought up Syria, but hey, don't let the truth stand in the way of a good lie

Well, that idea could be in jeopardy, if Rob Ford gets his way. I heard in the grapevine that he has opposed the city having a 30-year transit plan because it would, in his words, cost taxpayers more money. In other words, no more transit infrastructure for the next 30 years, from subways to LRT construction.

Spoke with a source:

Who met a group of people in Calgary who were from the IOC (believed to be French) who told him that Toronto was a "shoe-in" for 2020 if they had bid and that the chances of 2024 are good to excellent.

I find that very difficult to believe with Vancouver only 2 years in the past and Rio (Americas) hosting 2016.

Btw, it's "shoo-in" as in shooing someone across the finish line because they are so far ahead. "Shoe-in" has no meaning. Sorry. It's a pet peeve of mine. You aren't the first and won't be the last, but since it comes up often on these boards, I thought I'd point out the issue.

I find that very difficult to believe with Vancouver only 2 years in the past and Rio (Americas) hosting 2016.

Btw, it's "shoo-in" as in shooing someone across the finish line because they are so far ahead. "Shoe-in" has no meaning. Sorry. It's a pet peeve of mine. You aren't the first and won't be the last, but since it comes up often on these boards, I thought I'd point out the issue.

I never directly heard the convo so take it for what its worth. Not saying this is 100% true but why would someone lie?

I never directly heard the convo so take it for what its worth. Not saying this is 100% true but why would someone lie?

Many reasons. Canadians could've invented the story to drum up enthusiasm. The French could just be flattering the Canadians with what they think the Canadians want to hear even though they know it isn't true. We know from experience that the IOC wants virtually everyone to believe they have a wonderful chance of winning.

Based on the way this IOC has been voting in recent years, I think 2020 would've been a very tough sell for the US, and virtually impossible for Canada due to Vancouver 2010.

Spoke with a source:

Who met a group of people in Calgary who were from the IOC (believed to be French) who told him that Toronto was a "shoe-in" for 2020 if they had bid and that the chances of 2024 are good to excellent.

Well, probably the same sources who promised their 1st round votes to Chicago. (What were 'French' IOC people doing in Calgary? I mean wasn't their time like 24 years ago?)

• Like 1

Many reasons. Canadians could've invented the story to drum up enthusiasm. The French could just be flattering the Canadians with what they think the Canadians want to hear even though they know it isn't true. We know from experience that the IOC wants virtually everyone to believe they have a wonderful chance of winning.

Based on the way this IOC has been voting in recent years, I think 2020 would've been a very tough sell for the US, and virtually impossible for Canada due to Vancouver 2010.

I meant the source.

Toronto might well be a viable and well-credentialed candidate for 2024, but I don't think anybody could consider then a shoo-in yet. It would depend so much on who they face up against.

That shoe in remark was for 2020. Toronto wouldn't be considered a shoe=in in any race until the candidates were known and eventually if they were known like in 2020 a comment like that would make sense.

That shoe in remark was for 2020. Toronto wouldn't be considered a shoe=in in any race until the candidates were known and eventually if they were known like in 2020 a comment like that would make sense.

I wouldn't be so sure as that. If anything, I would have thought 2020 would be a crappy time for Toronto to bid right after Rio took a spot for the Americas.

I wouldn't be so sure as that. If anything, I would have thought 2020 would be a crappy time for Toronto to bid right after Rio took a spot for the Americas.

But the field for 2020 is (no offence meant) pretty weak compared to 2024.

Madrid - Spain's economy is in really bad shape

Japan - Although Pyeongchang shouldn't affect it, that is a slight problem, + earthquake + economy not great

Istanbul - New frontier, not enough experience.

Not saying Toronto would hands down win with the above three but it would have been easier for any city in NA to pull of a win in 2020 then in 2024.

Rob Ford will get the boot next election so I don't see him being a massive obstruction. Most useless mayor EVER.

Rob Ford is a great Mayor he is cleaning up city hall and getting the city out of debt which the NDP David Miller Mayor got them self in he is cutting useless things which the Left Wing Government put in place he is making it easier to do things and he may said no for Toronto 2020 but he is willing for Toronto 2024 I love Rob Ford he is my type of Mayor a Conservative government is great.

Well, if Toronto had entered, and you were going to make a list of the minus frtactors for the bids, you cpould say:

Japan - Although Pyeongchang shouldn't affect it, that is a slight problem, + earthquake + economy not great

Toronto - too soon to go back to Americas after Rio. Far too soon after Vancouver. Middle ranked nation that has already hosted three times in past four decades.

• Like 3

Looking at a Toronto bid - and I still think 2028 might be a better option than 2024, I think it will pose a massive challenge to any US nominee.

You are talking a North American bid, so the US networks won't be totally upset.

There will be government funding unlike the US and this is something that the IOC will like.

Outside of the Big 3 (LA, NY, Chicago), no US city exceeds Toronto in terms of infrastructure, transport, sporting facilities suitable for the Olympics which are already in place.

Whilst New York and Chicago might offer a vow factor, Los Angeles may need to work hard to come up with an imaginative new twist ..... unlike London whose 1948 austerity games bailed out the IOC, a 3rd games in LA would be a genuine 3rd selection.

San Francisco could be interesting but if they can't even get a 49ers stadium built within the city limits, what hope is there for the facilities needed for an Olympics? Philadelphia and Dallas have made noises but can they genuinely put together as compact a bid as Toronto?

Well, if Toronto had entered, and you were going to make a list of the minus frtactors for the bids, you cpould say:

Toronto - too soon to go back to Americas after Rio. Far too soon after Vancouver. Middle ranked nation that has already hosted three times in past four decades.

But what is the best out of the situation?

+ I don't agree Toronto was a shoe in. NO city is because all cities that make the final shortlist have lobbied to the point where it would be hard to decipher.