Lighting The Flame

Forgive me if somebody already posted this. I couldn't find their post anywhere.

I have an idea of who will might light the flame. It might be an aboriginal, or it could be someone from British Columbia. Maybe it will be Nancy Greene Raine. Everything is possible.

• Like 1

I think it’ll be lit by the Canadian who’s won the most winter medals, who ever that is. But once they light the cauldron inside BC Place, it’ll light some type of wire or something that’ll take the flame outside the stadium, and then, pardon my off topic nerdiness, not like that scene from the last Lord of the Rings, it lights a flame (or sets off fireworks) on top of the buildings in the path to the cauldron by the convention center. That would be mega epic.

Forgive me if somebody already posted this. I couldn't find their post anywhere.

I have an idea of who will might light the flame. It might be an aboriginal, or it could be someone from British Columbia. Maybe it will be Nancy Greene Raine. Everything is possible.

It won't be Nancy Greene, she is in government.

The most medals have been won by Marc Gagnon and Cindy Klassen (5 with 2 gold, 6 with 1 gold)

• Like 1

Salt Lake did that and the most important hockey team for Canada has been 2002. I just don't see any hockey player.

The ones I can see

Aboriginal nobodies (e.i. the 4 chefs of the 'host' first nations)

Marc Gagnon - btw 3 gold not 2.

Caterina Le May Doan

Cindy Klassen

Clara Hughes

Barbara Anne Scott

Kerrin Lee-Gartner

Getaen Boucher

If they want to get sentimental then Joan McCusker,Marcia Gudereit, Atina Ford and Jan Betker, the surviving members of the Sandra Schmirler rink.

If Lee-Gartner, Boucher, Le May Doan, and Anne Scott are overlooked for kids or aboriginals I will be appalled. This is a celebration of Canadian Winter Sport and those names are amongst the biggest and best and the ones that have lyed the groundwork for the success our athletes are having today.

• Like 1

In a similar vein, Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun today mentioned that Canada will name the OC Flag Bearer on Friday...advocating Clara Hughes

Canada will name its flag bearer for the opening ceremony of the Vancouver Olympics on Friday. If it's not the wondrous speedskater, Clara Hughes, then the Canadian Olympic Committee will have botched it again ...

Link

I think the Canadian Ice Hockey Team of the WC 1987 will enlight the flame...

Why do you think this? It isn't an Olympic team and isn't as talked about in this country as say the 2002 SLC gold or the 1972 Series games. But a hockey team has been done already. I can't see it happening again.

I wrote it before in another thread.

My choice is Paul Henderson.

He scored the most important goal in canadian sport history in Moscow in 1972 against Vladislav Tretiak.

Yes I know, he's not an olympian. But there's no rule about that.

But, I seriously think that the honor will go to Gaetan Boucher or Cindy Klassen.

And if they decided to take somebody from Vancouver (it's always possible), Joe Sakic could be the one (but I doubt they will do that)

If Lee-Gartner, Boucher, Le May Doan, and Anne Scott are overlooked for kids or aboriginals I will be appalled. This is a celebration of Canadian Winter Sport and those names are amongst the biggest and best and the ones that have lyed the groundwork for the success our athletes are having today.

Yeah, let's not do a Robyn Perry!

(no offense to her)

I am more concerned about a PC aboriginal statement lighting.

I thought there is a protocol that the cauldron lighter must be a former Olympian, current Olympian, or future prospect for an Olympian (i.e. random kids). That's why I read somewhere that some wanted Terry Fox's mother to be the lighter but she's not eligible.

Of course... Random aboriginal kid still fits the requirements...

They would be my pick too - very high profile, likeable and it would be a powerful gesture - reiterating the point of the judges oath shortly after it has been taken.

I agree! AND on top of that, Jamie Sale grew up in an anglophone community and David Pelletier grew up francophone. Even the flame lighting is bilingual :D

Shame about Greene being in politics as she would be the obvious choice to light. Maybe she'll be the one to bring the torch into the stadium, just to pop the crowd.

As for the final lighter... boy, with Greene out of the picture, it's a tough call. The one absolute no for me would be Wayne Gretzky. Great hockey player and an Olympian, but not a medalist. I can see him being a stadium bearer though.

What about Elizabeth Manley? She's not a gold medalist, but she was the last Canadian to win an Olympic medal on Canadian soil, a silver in Ladies Figure Skating.

Everyone else's choices would be more than satisfactory to me.

Sale and Pelletier would be a very controversial choice. Might as well have Myriam Bedard do the honours then. Though having a figure skating judge take the oath would be great.

I'd love the symmetry of the Pelletiers lighting it in Vancouver as Henderson and Prefontaine did in Montreal (glad I had Baron's book to hand to confirm the names).

Just throwing out here, but I think logically there are some you can throw out

1. The athletes who are competing at this Olympics: Klassen, Hughes, etc

2. It will likely be a winter olympian

People like Sandra Schmirler's foursome rink already ran with torch. I know for certain McCusker and Schmirler's husband ran with torch in Regina

3. Politicians, public figures will not be the final torch runner/lighting the cauldron: so scratch Terry Fox's mom, Nancy Greene, etc - but will likely be included on the final day (possibly in BC Place)

4. Team lighting has been done (2002 - 1980 US team), so will likely not happen with 2002 team

First Nations really pushed for this Olympics, and they are the 4 hosts - possible

Walei brought up the protocol of "the cauldron lighter must be a former Olympian, current Olympian, or future prospect for an Olympian (i.e. random kids)"

I think therefore Lee-Gartner, Gagnon, Boucher, Sale & Pelletier, Le May Doan, Manley, Gretzky, Lemieux are all on the shortlist, but I think what would be cool is a member of the 52 Edmonton Mercury's handing off to Sakic (possibly on the ice at Canada Hockey Place perhaps?)

My guess is that at least four First Nations representatives and one Canadian athlete will light the cauldron -- since the cauldron outside the IBC seems to have five flame outlets and Mr. X already guessed in the cauldron thread that those five outlets are representative for the four host First Nations and Canada.

But maybe they'll take the big solution and have ten cauldron lighters -- five for the BC Place cauldron, five for the IBC cauldron. That way, they could use an Anglo-Canadian athlete and a Franco-Canadian athlete. And Jamie Salé and David Pelletier would be perfect for that.

Anyway, I'm at least certain that they'll have more than one final torch bearer (bearing in mind that there are two cauldrons to be lit).

I hope the only First Nation involvement they have in lighting the Cauldron will be with children of each 'host' First Nation holding hands with the final Torch bearers - or four of them running along side the final torch bearer, who should be a well-known athlete (or just one Aboriginal child holding their hand as the athlete lights the cauldron). I'm hoping its Klassen or Clara Hughes (given that she's one of the very few athletes to win medals in both the Winter and Summer Olympics).

So do we think that there will be NO cauldron inside BC place?

There WILL BE A CAULDRON INSIDE BC PLACE. It has been confirmed, with a hole dug in the centre of the stadium floor and the installation of a natural gas line.

However, there will be more than one cauldron for the 2010 Games.

• Like 1

There WILL BE A CAULDRON INSIDE BC PLACE. It has been confirmed, with a hole dug in the centre of the stadium floor and the installation of a natural gas line.

However, there will be more than one cauldron for the 2010 Games.

Thanks for clarifying Mr X. Guess I just don't want to have shelled out for my first OC ticket just to see the lighting on a big screen!

Guess it's all about which will be first or whether they will be together.