The Olympic Cauldron

And I can't recognise any holes in those tubes through which additional flames could come out. No, I'm 100 % certain that the lit cauldron will look as on the leaked pictures: One flame each per tube, and the flame only coming out of the burner on its top.

There's a smaller dowel running up the inside of the leg of the right-most flame in this shot. And another one may be visible on the inside of the leg of the left-most flame.

-could be structure for glass encasment???

-could be gas tube to primary flames???

-could be......BONDFIRE MAKER!!!!!!!!! -I can dream.

-it would be a bit sooty on the thing if it all started to flame up!

-and it seems like it would have been tested.:(

-probably not gonna happen.....

-but what are those inner rods???

img_59031.jpg

So Catriona Le May Doan carried the flame again on Thursday and will be broadcasting for CTV with Lloyd Robertson and Brian Williams. I don't think she will be included amongst the final torch bearers.

I wonder if they will stick with strictly winter athletes or also include summer?

I hope Marc Gagnon will be included somehow.

It was a real shame about the torch lighting.

You can say that again.

A "once in a lifetime" experience - hopefully. While Sydney's cauldron failure went unnoticed by the audience, it was very obvious this time, if you looked in Wayne Gretzky's grim and sweating face. He looked as if he thought, "Now who has f***ed that bloody thing? He can prepare for some serious beating afterwards...".

London, Sochi and Rio: Watch and learn!

Thought i'd just add this here in this thread as well:

"Everyone think of it this way: The missing Cauldron leg was representative of the fallen Olympic Georgian athlete. I think I'll just always think of it that way, and then it's not a screw up but a poignant memorial to Norad Kumaritashvili."

Perhaps it was meant to be, the universe/life/Gods however you want to look at it paid a tribute to him. The missing leg and the one torchbearer standing alone with her flame still held high was a memorial. Just like the missing man formation with air force jets.

Think of it that way, and it's okay. It's right even.

You can say that again.

A "once in a lifetime" experience - hopefully. While Sydney's cauldron failure went unnoticed by the audience, it was very obvious this time, if you looked in Wayne Gretzky's grim and sweating face. He looked as if he thought, "Now who has f***ed that bloody thing? He can prepare for some serious beating afterwards...".

London, Sochi and Rio: Watch and learn!

Thats right Sydney failure went unoticed by the audience but with Vancouver even my mother texted and said. What the hell. That was a stuff up.

Thats right Sydney failure went unoticed by the audience but with Vancouver even my mother texted and said. What the hell. That was a stuff up.

Actually it's because of the glitch (not failure) in Sydney's cauldron sequence that we all realised instantly that something was up with the mini-fortress of solitude that was Vancouver's cauldron. Plus having the music come to a brief help didn't help matters.

So who was it that was left 'legless' as a result of the fourth leg failure?

Superman-FortressSolitude01w2.jpg

"Now if this part is put in correctly the cauldron should work Mr Rogge..."

So who was it that was left 'legless' as a result of the fourth leg failure?

Catriona LeMay Doan.

Cauldron really laid an egg. The second outdoor cauldron seemed like a sad afterthought. Very sorry for Vancouver. I'm sure it isn't what they hoped for. Maybe future hosts need to consider scaling back a bit and going with something a little more sure-fire (pun intended).