Does Anyone On Here Support Tokyo?

I think Rols is right in saying the Japanese don't tend to participate in English forums. I know Faster is an admirer of Tokyo's bid and Ruling Czar's bizarre post in the "Could Tokyo be cut first" thread nails his colours, as a Tokyo supporter, to the mast.

And in my poll I set up in May Tokyo got 8 votes.

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14092

actually i appreciate Tokyo's bid, which is rational and feasible. But it is not something exciting and i can't see it is adding sth to the city. Rio deserves it and cities like Rio should host the games for the love of city. I don't understand already developed countries and cities organizing Olympics. It is just wrong.

I think I have more symathy with the opposite view - that countries which aren't developed really oughtn't be spending money on huge luxuries like the Olympics. That's far more wrong than countries which can afford it hosting. The Olympics aren't a charity and when even cities like London face challenges along the way, it's clear that only modern developed countries, or those well on their way to being developed modern countries (like Brazil), can even think about hosting.

I want Tokyo to win for selfish reasons. I go to the Olympics. I've never been to Tokyo. I really want to visit Japan at some point in my life. Doesn't mean I think it'll be the best games - but in a way it'd be great if they won!

I want Tokyo to win for selfish reasons. I go to the Olympics. I've never been to Tokyo. I really want to visit Japan at some point in my life. Doesn't mean I think it'll be the best games - but in a way it'd be great if they won!

Similar to me hoping Rio will win to give me an excuse to go visit finally.

I just think Tokyo is a bit like the Chinese when they were doing their bids for 2000 and 2008.You didn't hear much publicly because it went on behind closed doors - and news in English was hard to find.

I really don't feelany momentum or excitement, but I wouldn't write them off.

I think I have more symathy with the opposite view - that countries which aren't developed really oughtn't be spending money on huge luxuries like the Olympics. That's far more wrong than countries which can afford it hosting. The Olympics aren't a charity and when even cities like London face challenges along the way, it's clear that only modern developed countries, or those well on their way to being developed modern countries (like Brazil), can even think about hosting.

I agree. Too many cities fall in love with the 'bling' of the Olympics and forget that it is quite crass to spend billions on stadia etc when people within you own city/ country are living below the breadline.

That's the main reason I'm not a fan of Rio's bid. Technically it could host the games well but out of the four bidding cities and even just objectively, Rio has a large undercurrent of poverty in it's city. I would just feel uncomfortable seeing the world's athletes getting fancy stadia and hospitality whilst round the corner some swathes of the population are in shanty towns. I know all cities have poverty but out of the bid cities Rio's is manifestly the worst.

I'm rooting for Tokyo, mainly for a selfish reason as well -- it's near where I live. I have yet to attend my first Olympics. I'm beginning to reconsider going to London, so 2016 is the more realistic goal for myself. If the three other cities win (and I'm not going to be terribly bitter about that), I'll try Sochi.

But anyway, I do like Tokyo's plans despite the lack of a glam factor.

I think Rols is right in saying the Japanese don't tend to participate in English forums. I know Faster is an admirer of Tokyo's bid and Ruling Czar's bizarre post in the "Could Tokyo be cut first" thread nails his colours, as a Tokyo supporter, to the mast.

And in my poll I set up in May Tokyo got 8 votes.

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14092

interesting results for a poll really. More people want Rio to win and More think they will win . Frankly i of course want them to win but I have a feeling Chicago will take it even with the termoil of Late. Too many more hits, like a Negative Report coming in september from a British Company hired to do a costing study on Chicago 2016 on behalf or that citizen group, and it may indeed go to the city i am hoping for RIO.

Tokyo by the way if elected would make history that few that thou of . The very first Summer Olympics city to be elected three times to host. London cannot even take that title as their rescue of the 1908 games was not a bid election. Tokyo was to host the 1940 games and that was the result of a bid election.

jim jones

Yes... but why does that matter?! London still gets to be the first 3 times host!

It makes his magic golden bid spreadsheet look good, or somehow relevant to anything.

But it wouldn't change the fact that London would have HOSTED three times, and Tokyo twice (IF it wins). Surely it's a bigger deal to actually host than to bid.

Tokyo was to host the 1940 games and that was the result of a bid election.

jim jones

Yeah, but it NEVER actually happened, JJ -- so it doesn't count. Then you could say, Rome is also a 2x host, having been picked for 1908; and then for 1960. :blink: Denver is a 1x Winter Host -- just having gathered enough of the paper ballots...without actually hosting even 1 f*cking race. :blink:

JJ, I think you're a historian all your own. <_<

I've been a vocal supporter of Tokyo 2016 and while I would think it is too soon for Asia they could sneak through as a "second choice" if there are conflicts for IOC members voting between Chicago or Rio for an American time zone Games or if Madrid and Rio split the latin vote.

Its a scenario that hasnt been discussed that much this rotation. I know for the 2008 bid cycle there was some discussion of Osaka maybe sneaking a win as Asia was the obvious preferred host. Sadly the IOC absolutely fuckedd Osaka over to clear the way for a Beijing stomping. In my opinion Beijing did an amzing job so no real complaints about the end result - I still feel sorry for the JOC about what happened in 2000/2001.

Well, they just had Nagano for 1998...(and which round f*cked Salt Lake too), so no way would a Japanese city figure for 2008.

Quite right, it would be like Salt Lake chasing the Games a mere 2 years after Atlanta or NYC trying to land 2012 just 10 years after Salt Lake. Preposterous

I think even Madrid 2016 is more likely than Tokyo... I'm sorry for the Japanese but I don't think Tokyo will made it to the final round in Copenhagen.

But neither I can imagine Chicago winning and I don't know why.

I think even Madrid 2016 is more likely than Tokyo... I'm sorry for the Japanese but I don't think Tokyo will made it to the final round in Copenhagen

Really?! Totally disagree. Madrid or Rio first to go...

I think even Madrid 2016 is more likely than Tokyo... I'm sorry for the Japanese but I don't think Tokyo will made it to the final round in Copenhagen.

But neither I can imagine Chicago winning and I don't know why.

I agree with you, Athan. Tokyo doesn't seem to have a lot of traction and Madrid has a whole lot of energy and support from friends in high places.

Regarding Chicago, I don't think the majority of the international community has a very accurate sense of what the city is like. The Olympics could do for Chicago what they did for Barcelona and Sydney -- reveal a stunningly beautiful, culturally rich city to the world in a new light.

Regarding Chicago, I don't think the majority of the international community has a very accurate sense of what the city is like. The Olympics could do for Chicago what they did for Barcelona and Sydney -- reveal a stunningly beautiful, culturally rich city to the world in a new light.

Sure! ;) Maybe that's why I can't imagine Chicago hosting the Olympics.

Well i do support Tokyo, Madrid has no chance but the shear fact that Madrid is in the race means that because of its high profile support, it will likely survive the first round and costs Chicago, Tokyo or Rio, with an emphasis on the former and latter.

I actually think we could be blindsided by the support Tokyo gets in the first round, the IOC has a long member and I think they will remember the screw job put on Osaka because of Samaranch and Beijing in 2001. This will result in a blindsiding on who goes out first, most expect it to be Madrid but remember in 2010 it was Salzburg over the expected Pyeongchang.

I can equally imagine all 4 of them going out first but I think Tokyo and Madrid are the safest. If Rio goes out first you will have another US or another Asian and how it votes will depend a lot on personal preference. And the glamour of a mega city might push Tokyo over Chicago but if its Rio and Tokyo than Rio will win out. But only time will tell and yes I think the lack of Japanese to English information movement is the cause of the lack of information. Remember that Japan has been credited with derailing Pyeongchang enough in 2014 to cause their loss to Sochi. And the Russians might want to repay that.

Archived