Pyrenees-Barcelona-Zaragoza 2030

On 12/24/2021 at 7:07 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

If the bid drops the Pyrenees as I think it should, does Zaragosa have enough of the high peaks and snow that they will need in 2030?  

With Jaca yes. Zaragoza's problem is the lack of indoor arenas for the ice events hence the need for Barcelona. Of more concern is the nordic and sliding events. My guess is Albertville.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Is Ice Hockey even played in Barcelona?  

FC Barcelona has got a hockey department which plays in the highest Spanish league. So, technically ice hockey IS played in Barcelona.

It should be far from a professional level, though.

Bach getting this news from an online news outlet (or at least saying to have done so) should tell us enough on how interested the IOC is in a Spanish bid for 2030.

If anything, this is further prove of them just waiting for the Sapporo survey outcome before they award 2030 and - hopefully - 2034.

1 hour ago, munichfan said:

Bach getting this news from an online news outlet (or at least saying to have done so) should tell us enough on how interested the IOC is in a Spanish bid for 2030.

If anything, this is further prove of them just waiting for the Sapporo survey outcome before they award 2030 and - hopefully - 2034.

He made this claim though in an interview with ATR, seems more like a little deal between the site and him to boost their reputation ("Hey, even the IOC boss takes us as a source for bid news").

Either way, it's more meaningless bla bla from Fencing 1976. Has he ever given any insightful interviews?

He's usually "excited for" or "happy to see" or "embrazing" or "looking forward to" a bid. "Well, I guess, if that's what they wanna do, I guess let them do it" just seems like showing them the middle finger to me in comparison.

But yeah, I'm probably reading too much into this. It's Bach, after all.

• 2 weeks later...

really not a fan of how the IOC are letting hosts share names. It is just confusing. The 2026 W olympics for example should just be called Milan 2026. And same with 2030, Barcelona 2030 looks and feels better then Pyranees-Barcelona-Zaragoza 2030. 

7 minutes ago, kiwi said:

really not a fan of how the IOC are letting hosts share names. It is just confusing. The 2026 W olympics for example should just be called Milan 2026. And same with 2030, Barcelona 2030 looks and feels better then Pyranees-Barcelona-Zaragoza 2030. 

Having Cortina in the name signals it‘s regional across Northern Italy, in line with Agenda 2020 etc

Milan (plus Lombardy resorts like Bormio) wouldn‘t have been able to do this without bringing either of the two previous Italian hosts on board for ski jumping & sliding. That came with a price tag.

And Barcelona couldn‘t do it all alone either, further complicated by the very tense Spanish interior politics and regional rivalries.

The failed German bid 2032 was also named Rhine-Ruhr to avoid giving an advantage to any city, making it an even tougher sell to the public in the rest of them.

3 hours ago, yoshi said:

In which case, time to bite the bullet and award/denote whole countries. Maybe once it becomes officially national scale, Sweden might have a chance because they wouldn't just need Stockholm anymore...

I think this is the only way you can get much of Western Europe interested in hosting the WOGs again. Let there be country-wide bids or even cross national bids involving countries who cannot host the ski events such as the Netherlands or Finland.

6 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Now Sarajevo comes in as well.

Pyrenees-Szaragozajevo-Barcelona 2030 will be the new name.

On another note, I had a student last year who created a WOGs joint bid between Sarajevo and Belgrade as part of "international reconciliation."

Sweden is really the classic example of that too - they've clearly got good enough snow facilities around Åre, but the nearest proper size city is Trondheim...in Norway. A joint bid would be such an ideal way of spreading the hosting burden while still keeping it compact, but the IOC is so inflexible. 

9 hours ago, munichfan said:

From everything we know, the IOC will try to get this done by the summer.

Yeah, and almost certainly the nitty gritty is being done right now at lots of dinners and private meetings over drinks between IOC members at various Beijing hotels. I’m sure JAS jr is hosting a few of those.