Oh, that's right, I read recently that Rome plans to spread-out quite a bit in order to "save on costs" & to "involve" more of the country (akin to Boston involving more of Massachusetts. Although Massachusetts is still a heck of a lot smaller than Italy is).

I would like to see how much & how far. And if it's too much far-flung, they're pretty much done for then, especially when you factor in all their other woes.

• 4 weeks later...

Unless big contenders drop like 2022 race, Budapest won't pass the shortlist. For Italy, let's see if they don't withdraw like 2020 race.

I thought the same, but apparently Bach unveiled a new calendar as they are dropping the shortlist issue: all the bidding cities are going to Lima 2017... (if they don't sit out before)

I'm kinda surprised no one is talking about it here.

I'm not fan of the idea 'cuz the day a city like Doha or Dubai will decide to bid (not for the 2024 one), who knows what would happen, after all they managed to host 2022 WC and 2015 Handball WCs, and if the 2022 scenario repeats...

Here's the source (in french, sorry guys ;) ): http://www.lequipe.fr/Tous-sports/Actualites/Pas-de-short-list-pour-les-candidatures-aux-jeux-olympiques-2024/578123

I thought the same, but apparently Bach unveiled a new calendar as they are dropping the shortlist issue: all the bidding cities are going to Lima 2017... (if they don't sit out before)

I'm kinda surprised no one is talking about it here.

I'm not fan of the idea 'cuz the day a city like Doha or Dubai will decide to bid (not for the 2024 one), who knows what would happen, after all they managed to host 2022 WC and 2015 Handball WCs, and if the 2022 scenario repeats...

Here's the source (in french, sorry guys ;) ): http://www.lequipe.fr/Tous-sports/Actualites/Pas-de-short-list-pour-les-candidatures-aux-jeux-olympiques-2024/578123

Wait...is the IOC seriously that desperate for candidates to make it to final presentations? LMFAO.

I read that too yesterady, but this website is the only one talking about it. I couldn't find any other source for it. So let's wait and see if this is all true. But it wouldn't even surprise me if it is. This is just sad...I feel sorry for the IOC somehow.

I seriously don't see that happening. The short-list is the perfect opportunity the executive board has to eliminate any applicants that they really don't wanna see on the final ballot. The only plausible thing is including everyone on the short-list when the IOC only has three or less cities to chose from, as were the cases with 2018 & 2022.

• 1 month later...

I cheer for Budapest, if it would work it would show that any country can make Olympics aster 2022 debacle and would be good test for 2020 Agenda. I also wondering how candidature and people opinions there about it, as political alignment is similar to what my country is going (minus romance with Russia :P).

I was once there and it buityfull city, i like how on one side of river there hills and on another is flat

Wait...is the IOC seriously that desperate for candidates to make it to final presentations? LMFAO.

So the IOC can block off another 3-400 hotel rooms for the additional delegations from the cities? (I mean, you see how big those are...) Will the awards Hall hold like (if 6 cities make the final list) 1,000 people (remember, IOC - 120 (w/ staff); NOCs - at least 1 each, so another 200 there; press- probably another 150. (So, not unless they limit the Candidate cities to like 50 members only each).

The way Hungary is treating the refugee crisis right now once more shows that this country and its neofascist government are not suitable for a 21st century Olympics.

Well it is problem for them as well as all of EU (not really all but countries effected by it want to make it problem for all, by "solidarity") and there a lot more extreme movements in Hungary.

But China is?

It shouldn't be either, but it's China after all, not some Eastern European minnow (if you look at global importance).

Well it is problem for them as well as all of EU (not really all but countries effected by it want to make it problem for all, by "solidarity") and there a lot more extreme movements in Hungary.

Well, if there's no solidarity within the EU, we may as well abandon it. And yes, Jobbik is worse than Orban, but he is doing all he can to please their voters, so...

Like submission is only way of cooperation? Besides you should be happy that they keep them there country, they want to go to your country and your country only, they don't care about Hungary, that why "solidarity" won't work anyway.

China do a hell lot of worse things then Hungary and i don't know why you justify them because they big

I don't justify anything China does. Where did I say that?

Also, I'm not happy when human beings are treated like animals. So don't tell me I should be grateful for Hungary's refugee policy, no matter where they would go afterwards.

To go on-topic again: I don't believe for a split-second that Hungary in its current economic state is able to host a sustainable SOG of the current size, without ruining the country completely. The whole bid is just another Orban PR tool.

• 2 weeks later...
Budapest Olympics 2024: Majority of Hungarians wants referendum on hosting the games

2015-09-21 | Budapest Olympics

Only 46 per cent of Hungarians back Budapest’s bid to host the 2024 Olympics while 51 per cent want to have the opportunity to vote on the matter in a referendum, according to a survey by Ipsos commissioned by the opposition left-liberal Együtt party and published in the daily newspaper Népszabadság.

The paper noted that in Ipsos’s February survey, 60 per cent supported the idea of Budapest’s bid. According to another survey, carried out by rival public opinion pollster Nézőpont Intézet in August, 49 per cent backed organising the event while 42% were opposed, the paper added. The latest Ipsos survey with a sample of 1 000 found that besides 41 per cent who opposed hosting the event, 13 per cent were neutral. The Hungarian Olympic Committee is eyeing carefully which bidding city’s population supports its bid the most and the Hungarian committee is also preparing to carry out its own survey, the paper said.

Announcing the acceptance of the applications to host the 2024 Olympic Games handed in by Budapest, Hamburg, Los Angeles, Paris and Rome this past Wednesday, Thomas Bach, chairman of the International Olympic Committee, said that the deciding factor in the selection of the host city this year will be not the most adequate infrastructure available but rather which city genuinely wants to host the Olympics, the paper points out.

Speaking to Népszabadság earlier, Attila Szalay-Berzeviczy, chairman of BOM – a foundation which campaigns for the Hungarian capital to host the Olympics -, said that it would be “appropriate” for the share of backers to exceed 75 per cent and cited the example of Los Angeles, where 77 per cent of the population is in support of the bid.

via hungarymatters.hu and nol.hu