• 4 weeks later...

I Have No Clue What's The E-mail Address.

If you do not have anything to contribute there is no need to say anything.

does anyone have Budapest's email address? i'll try to request for a bid pin.

They do not seem to have an email address yet.

website w/ bid info: http://budapest2024.org/budapest-bid/about-budapest-bid/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/budapest2024/info/?tab=page_info

Edited by Nacre

Bill would lay legal foundation for Budapest Olympics bid

Hungaryʼs government submitted a bill to Parliament late yesterday that would establish the legal framework to support Budapestʼs bid to host the 2024 Olympic Games, Hungarian news agency MTI reported.

The bill “acknowledges the necessity of establishing guarantees” required by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) from cities applying to host the games and aims to “legislate procedural rules supporting the quick and efficient establishment of these guarantees”, according to the justification of the proposal.

The goal of the bill is to show “Hungary is capable... of ensuring the fast, efficient and successful preparation and organization of the secure and peaceful celebration of the Olympic and Paralympic Games”.

The bill would require that the “greatest possible proportion” of funding necessary for Budapestʼs application and for the organization of the Olympic Games come from “donations and support from resources other than the central budget”.

Budapest is competing against Los Angeles, Paris and Rome in its bid to host the 2024 Olympic Games.

http://bbj.hu/budapest/bill-would-lay-legal-foundation-for-budapest-olympics-bid_116247

• 2 weeks later...

To give each city's supporters a chance to vote Sir Rolls developed the first stage of our own IOC 2024 vote.

You have a week to vote. if one city does not receive a simple majority over 50% of the vote, then the city with the least amount of votes will be dropped and a second round of voting will be opened for a week and so on until we get our own winner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

And here's the important number...

"An Ipsos poll recently revealed that 62 percent of Hungarians are in favour hosting the Olympic Games."

That sounds very similar to Hamburg's polling before their referendum. I think this could be close. The people most motivated, and therefore most likely to vote in this referendum will be those who called for it - i.e. those against the Olympic bid. Even if a majority supports a bid, as I'm quite sure was the case in Hamburg, the opponents can win a referendum if they get their voters out in bigger numbers.

Even if they don't say so publically, LA 2024 must be hoping the European bids will nab votes from one another in the IOC Host City Election. By year end, it could be a two-horse race, however! The two giants remaining, no dark horses, no potential spoilers, just a straight choice and the big beasts battling it out.

Budapest is really a non-factor. I'd equate them as the Annecy in this race. A long-shot odds candidate with no hope of winning, referendum or no referendum.

Rome is/was really the only one that could be a potential spoiler in all of this. But with their withdrawal looking more & more likely now, this is really going to be a no-brainer come vote time.

3 hours ago, FYI said:

Budapest is really a non-factor. I'd equate them as the Annecy in this race. A long-shot odds candidate with no hope of winning, referendum or no referendum.

Rome is/was really the only one that could be a potential spoiler in all of this. But with their withdrawal looking more & more likely now, this is really going to be a no-brainer come vote time.

Well well well...At least some recent GB Articles had a positive twist towards Budapest, if you read between the lines. Orbán is also friends with Vlad, who as we know can pull a few strings on his IOC puppets. If Rome takes the exit, they can play the "we are safe and have no terrorists" card easily against Paris. Will this be enough against LA? Surely not in a normal world, but the world ain't normal nowadays.

As for a referendum. It is Hungary. A referendum will have the result Orbán wants it to have (just wait for next month's refugee quota referendum farce). So this isn't going to end in a Hamburg scenario.

4 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Well well well...At least some recent GB Articles had a positive twist towards Budapest, if you read between the lines. Orbán is also friends with Vlad, who as we know can pull a few strings on his IOC puppets. If Rome takes the exit, they can play the "we are safe and have no terrorists" card easily against Paris. Will this be enough against LA? Surely not in a normal world, but the world ain't normal nowadays.

As for a referendum. It is Hungary. A referendum will have the result Orbán wants it to have (just wait for next month's refugee quota referendum farce). So this isn't going to end in a Hamburg scenario.

I don't believe for a second Budapest will play a "no terrorists" card. Both because it's in horrible taste, but also because it's bogus. There's nothing special about Budapest that makes it less likely for an attack than Paris. Or LA. Or Rome. 

Budapest does have at least three cards that I can think of:

- It's our turn (being the most successful country that has never hosted)

- Sympathy for the little guy (a lot of IOC member are from smaller countries)

- Last city standing. Rome and Paris could fall apart with political upheaval. LA's bid could fall apart if the run the numbers and can't pay for it

Plus, there's always handing out bags of cash.  

Paris seems particularly prone to terrorism because of their history with North Africa and their (mostly admirable) secular model which is everything Islamism stands against. It's no coincidence they've been a target more than other cities. But it would be beyond tasteless for any bid to make that contrast explicit and could easily backfire. From my own POV the attacks on Paris and France only increase my desire to see the Games there.

11 hours ago, zekekelso said:

I don't believe for a second Budapest will play a "no terrorists" card. Both because it's in horrible taste, but also because it's bogus. There's nothing special about Budapest that makes it less likely for an attack than Paris. Or LA. Or Rome.

Well, in the current campaign about the EU refugee quota referendum, the Orbánists are already telling it big that the Paris attackers were immigrants - insinuating that because of the Hungarian fence border, Hungary is safe and must keep all those nasty muslims out. Of course they might do it more subtly in their bid campaign, but I for one expect the current Hungarian government to go as low as they are allowed to go, and then some.

4 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Well, in the current campaign about the EU refugee quota referendum, the Orbánists are already telling it big that the Paris attackers were immigrants - insinuating that because of the Hungarian fence border, Hungary is safe and must keep all those nasty muslims out. 

That "insinuation" could then make Budapest a target in the future.

What's Hungary gonna do next - build a wall around the entire country to keep everything "nasty" out.

That sounds so Trump-like (& then they'll probably say, "& we'll make the E.U. pay for it, too")! That should get them some bid votes, or not. 

• 2 weeks later...
On September 10, 2016 at 4:12 PM, StefanMUC said:

Looks like Budapest can't play that card anymore, even if they wanted to.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/hungary-manhunt-in-budapest-blast-that-wounded-2-officers/ar-BBwC4Uv?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout