Toronto 2026 Short List Vote

Toronto 2026 Short List Poll  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which logos (choose up to 5) should make it to the final rounds of the Toronto 2026 GamesBids Logo Competition?

I've noticed that D isn't doing as well as I thought - come on everyone! it is an awesome logo - the stylised T, with those wonderful Olympic colours in brush strokes - with the abstract figure of a skiier in the T - its clever, colourful and sharp, and unique with not a single maple leaf or snowflake in sight!

AW thanks mate. I tried to do something a bit different for winter games and over the seven years I been doing these I thought I might have finally made something good. But doesn't look like I'll make the shortlist which for me personally is sad as I have done the past few years with worse logos. But hey I guess I am not as good as I thought and should perhaps leave it to the skilled. Your support though is appreciated so much mate.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AW thanks mate. I tried to do something a bit different for winter games and over the seven years I been doing these I thought I might have finally made something good. But doesn't look like I'll make the shortlist which for me personally is sad as I have done the past few years with worse logos. But hey I guess I am not as good as I thought and should perhaps leave it to the skilled. Your support though is appreciated so much mate.

You have made something good - so there is no need for self doubt. Yours is one of few in that lot that legitimately resembles an Olympic bid logo. A common trait of many BID LOGOS is a use of the five Olympic colours - this is what tends to stand them apart from official logos, which are more experimental. This is where I found your logo most convincing - your logo reflects that characteristic of the bid logo. It is restrained and really gives off a bid logo vibe.

Still a way to go yet - VOTE D! B)

J- What a shame J doesn't have more votes. It's the closest to a masterpiece I've seen here over the years. With the somewhat subtle hints of Canadiana, it's not surprising it won't win in a popular vote with international voters, but it would be given strong consideration by a Toronto Olympic organizing committee. I even like it better than nearly all of the actual Olympic logos. I went further into detail in the other thread, but this captures a Tom Thomson painting (Tom Thomson being "unofficially" a member of the Group of Seven painters, the most famous painters in Canada). They were notorious for painting the rugged Ontario landscape. J is one of the few logos here that paid homage to Toronto/Ontario rather than just Canada. It's wintery, it's uniquely Canadian, and it has a classic Olympic logo feel a la Athens or Lillehammer.

And the rest:

C- I'm loving the Niagara Falls. Great promotion of Toronto.

E- the only vote of mine that isn't specific to Toronto or Ontario, but it's unified and it's blue, which is the primary colour of choice for Toronto sports teams.

N- the CN Tower, Skydome, City Hall and Lake Ontario within a maple leaf looks great. It's not my favourite but definitely short list material.

P- the idea alone gets my vote. I appreciate the crystal building as it's culturally specific to Toronto, but the building in of itself isn't as representative of Toronto or surrounding areas on its own as the CN Tower, Niagara or Algonquin Park (Tom Thomson paintings) are.

one of two astonishing efforts from danny this year, making me wonder if he outsourced the assignment to someone with more talent, or if he's begun developing some over the past 2 years. (does this mean two years from now he might actually start learning english too?) here's the thing about danny as opposed to say the twins. danny occasionally has good ideas executed very marginally (last years paris/ostersund entries were flirty, fun scrawls that could have worked in more capable hands but ultimately didn't; rio's toothpaste win's still a headscratcher to me). the twins sometimes have rather marginal ideas (sometimes not) always executed impeccably. but danny really pulled it out with this toronto logo. i feel the movement, the fluidity, the beautiful but frigid sensation of pushing your nose up against the icy backseat window in the toasty heat of your parents' car after a frost has settled on the windows, and staring at the tiny jagged crystals glinting in the bright cloudless sky on the other side. you can see them in the maple leaf if you look. a masterful, visionary effort from a much-improved designer, but i don't think it should win. also, im not voting for it because hes being insecure and childish about the nzl affair. grow up, danny. you never had a shot at winning Toronto anyway

Thank you for your critique on my logo, my concept and my design.

And also about my chances on winning, my professional skills, my English skills, my opinions, my way of working, my past, present and future.

I really appreciate most of it... or not.

:)

Rols I accidentally voted for my own , is there a way I can change it and move that vote to option J? Also do the ones we touched up for others count as ones we can't vote for?

You can certainly vote on ones you touched up ... errr, I think that came out wrong ... err, you polished up ... err .. helped refine. Yeah, that's it.

Anyone object if I move Mr Bernham's vote to J? My only concern is it makes it a bit messy - have to give Davey another vote as well then. And then there's CAF and donutman88?

J- What a shame J doesn't have more votes. It's the closest to a masterpiece I've seen here over the years. With the somewhat subtle hints of Canadiana, it's not surprising it won't win in a popular vote with international voters, but it would be given strong consideration by a Toronto Olympic organizing committee. I even like it better than nearly all of the actual Olympic logos. I went further into detail in the other thread, but this captures a Tom Thomson painting (Tom Thomson being "unofficially" a member of the Group of Seven painters, the most famous painters in Canada). They were notorious for painting the rugged Ontario landscape. J is one of the few logos here that paid homage to Toronto/Ontario rather than just Canada. It's wintery, it's uniquely Canadian, and it has a classic Olympic logo feel a la Athens or Lillehammer.

Eh. "J" has a unique execution but still, it's rather weak and NOT very dynamic. And it only looks good becuz it doesn't the maple leaf or the multitude of snowflakes that the others have. And that supposed "famous" painting of Canada? Never heard of it. I think a different color scheme to it would've made it more vibrant and not something just fades in a page. And ANYTIME one has to explain what the symbolism is, then it fails its job as a logo.

Eh. "J" has a unique execution but still, it's rather weak and NOT very dynamic. And it only looks good becuz it doesn't the maple leaf or the multitude of snowflakes that the others have. And that supposed "famous" painting of Canada? Never heard of it. I think a different color scheme to it would've made it more vibrant and not something just fades in a page. And ANYTIME one has to explain what the symbolism is, then it fails its job as a logo.

Thanks Gangwon for your support. I hope this logo will ignite others' curiosity to discover the less known but equally important part of Canada/ Ontario - in this case the Canadian arts and the hidden treasures of the rugged forest/ lake landscape. Thomson's drawing is almost like a window to the past, or even a window to this other world of the Canadian landscape that is very close to the local's heart which hopefully foreigners will grow to love too.

Baron, there were some logos in the past whose design were not immediately obvious eg. Torino 2006 abstract/ stylised Duomo, Vancouver 2010 inusuik, Rio 2016 and more recently Pyeongchang 2018. Nevertheless they are still great logos unique to the local culture, and allow the world the liberty to discover themselves what the logo is supposed to represent.

I feel the trend/ style of real Olympic logo design in recent years has moved on from the in-your-face obvious route. I wouldn't be too concerned that my logo does not look like anything (yet) to the unknown public. At least I know this logo feels wintery and somehow resembles snowfall that is synonymous with a winter, the rest I leave it to the world to discover. That's the joy of it all!

Not my problem if you haven't heard of it. There's lots of things you don't know. And I even said in the other thread that non-Canadians wouldn't know about it. That's part of what makes that logo so good- chance to promote what is a big deal to Canadian culture.

The beauty alone is the best of all the logos. But the symbolism behind it is a big part of why it's so good. You can admire a flashy Pepsi ad or you can admire a Picasso painting.

You have made something good - so there is no need for self doubt. Yours is one of few in that lot that legitimately resembles an Olympic bid logo. A common trait of many BID LOGOS is a use of the five Olympic colours - this is what tends to stand them apart from official logos, which are more experimental. This is where I found your logo most convincing - your logo reflects that characteristic of the bid logo. It is restrained and really gives off a bid logo vibe.

Still a way to go yet - VOTE D! B)

We weren't designing bid logos. Read the submissions thread again. ;)

Although it doesn't look like I am going to get through this year I still think it is a great achievement to receive 8 votes thus far. Thank you to all those who voted for me (Q).

Just a suggestion for next time, it might be helpful if in the montage of logos you also put the designers name. This would make it easier to see which logo is being referred to in instances such as yoshi's post above.

NZL. :)

Just a suggestion for next time, it might be helpful if in the montage of logos you also put the designers name. This would make it easier to see which logo is being referred to in instances such as yoshi's post above.

Then it would become biased and subjective. The way Rols did it is right because then it becomes anonymous to a certain degree; and the entries are judged on their merit rather than on their authorship. The designers know their own work.

I will swap my vote for Q if thats ok

Okay, tallied!

Progress

I'm currently counting the replacement votes for Mr Bernham and Daveypodmore in lieu of their own votes. If anyone objects to this, state your protest by close of poll. That said, at this stage neither of their replacement votes is likely to affect the final standings.

I'm disqualifying the votes from nzl (by protest) and rpryor03 (I don't accept his bona fides).

Okay, I make it just under 11 hours to go now. I'd be tempted to close it now, but I'm loathe to stray from the deadline I posted up first. Some people may actually plan to vote late - and while we have a clear final four (at this stage), late votes could well determine if we have a tie for fifth and go into the later voting rounds with 5 or more.

In other words, there's still spots in the final up for grabs!

Then it would become biased and subjective. The way Rols did it is right because then it becomes anonymous to a certain degree; and the entries are judged on their merit rather than on their authorship. The designers know their own work.

I don't think it would make it biased. I think most people know who made each logo and if not they can go into the original forum or look at other peoples signatures or profile pics, putting it on the main page next to the logo would just make it easier.

I think the quality of submissions for this contest is just fine. If there are problems, it is the subject...a Winter Olympics in Toronto just would never happen. Putting in some of the typical winter imagery like mountains is laughable considering there are no really big mountains to be found in the entire province of Ontario. And if the elements present seem a bit repetitive, consider that Toronto itself has used maple leafs and Ts in much of its own sports branding (their 1996 and 2008 Olympic bids, their beloved Maple Leafs, the 2015 PanAms, the Blue Jays and Toronto FC).

Good luck to all!

I think the quality of submissions for this contest is just fine. If there are problems, it is the subject...a Winter Olympics in Toronto just would never happen. Putting in some of the typical winter imagery like mountains is laughable considering there are no really big mountains to be found in the entire province of Ontario. And if the elements present seem a bit repetitive, consider that Toronto itself has used maple leafs and Ts in much of its own sports branding (their 1996 and 2008 Olympic bids, their beloved Maple Leafs, the 2015 PanAms, the Blue Jays and Toronto FC).

Good luck to all!

Yet, that's the task Barcelona was considering, and Beijing and Stockholm are facing (at least as bids). Yeah, it is a left of field and unlikely notion, but I thought it was a bit spicier compared to the Quebec City notion I was set to do. When the real 2022 applicant list came up, I figured it was a way to channel a more novel thinking to the board's long, long focus on Toronto's aspirations

I can deliver a bloc of 20 votes to anyone who buys the first 2014 editions of my book!!

Plus, get a free printed version of "The World according to Baron Map - Non authorized version".

"Toronto WOG never would happen"...unrealistic?? But in other words the comp is so dreamful.For a user who is familiar with designing already and even for a user who is not so good at art...for both types of users,this is a pretty good opportunity. I enjoy this comp very much and I appreciate Sir. Rols to organize this event every year.

Archived