London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

You know, it's interesting. One of the few ways to improve on Beijing would be the cauldron lighting. Their approach was fine. It worked. There was a certain wow factor to it. But there's no doubt that something more jaw-dropping is possible. I wonder if LOCOG is putting all their eggs in the lighting of the cauldron....

Well, not ALL their eggs. Obviously a lot of time and thought has gone into the rest of the OC too, but it is starting to seem like the cauldron is the big deal.

I think we may be reading too much into the government approval thing because with these things there always needs to be government approval. The Olympics is hosted by a city within a nation. The logos the themes the imagery and the branding reflects that nations Identity so everything has to be approved by the government local or national. Just remember this will be seen by billions of people worldwide there are so many political implications to these games that the over I am sure has a firm hand in every aspect of the games. Beijing i know had a government official on the planning committee to report back to the assembly granted that is China but i am sure all olympic organizing committees have one.

I dunno. Getting the Prime Minister's approval for the lighting of a flame seems like it falls into a different category.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard before either that a government had to approve the look and/or the lighting method of the cauldron. I suppose that Heatherwick wouldn't have emphasised that approval twice -- in the Dezeen and in the Mexican interview -- if it was that unimportant.

Well OK but I can't imagine putting that much work into the premier ticked if it's not more significant.

And I can't imagine putting them that much work into the cauldron and into keeping it secret just to give pretty clear hints about its look on those tickets. I suppose that the work on the cauldron was far bigger and more straining than the design of the tickets which are not really a centerpiece of the Games.

And come on, Thomas Heatherwick even says that he has absolutely no blueprints of the cauldron in his own office -- obviously out of fear that the look of the cauldron could be leaked. And then they print some sort of blueprint on hundreds of thousands of tickets??? Highly unrealistic IMO.

r 'Who designs Kate's Wedding Dress' until the very last moment of the lighting ceremony, same as when Kate steps out of that car outside the Abbey.

Which was the most boring, post-climactic celebrity wedding dress there ever was. I mean it looked it was bought off the rack at K-mart's.

I think I know where the damn thing's going to appear..

OK, my spy in Boyle's staff told me something. The show will end in a treasure hunt. All ticket-goers will be released outside the stadium after the Parade of Nations to go look for the cauldron.

They'll know it when they find it!! :lol:

The additional funding is for the overall ceremony, not just the cauldron lighting. Plus why would he specifically mentioned getting PM's approval? I would think if it's a regular in the stadium lighting, Danny Boyle and Jacque Rogge's approval is more important than the PM's. This sounds to me like a bigger operation than that and might involve the 'bigger society' at large, hence a PM need to be consulted.

Well, it dosen't matter if the additional funding covered other parts of the ceremony. If a part of it was for the cauldron, people in government would need to see and approve of those plans. I don't know how the UK government handles the approval of more funding for projects it sponsors, but I imagine the highest people would be the ones calling the shots and approving things, possibly including the PM. But those are definitely not Boyle's or Rogge's decisions to make. It's not their money.

And I don't think the fact that they asked for more funding is a guarantee that the lighting will somehow involve thousands of UK citizens, the military, or multiple points across the country. It just sounds like the technology needed to fulfill the vision for the lighting simply required more money than their original budget allowed them. This lighting may still take place completely "within" the stadium and involve a single torchbearer.

I just have to point out that I find it highly unlikely that Beckham will be the final torch bearer - and if he is, it would be ridiculously lame.

He already had the honour of being the person to handover the Baton to the Queen at the Opening Ceremony of the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester, so I doubt London 2012 will do the same. He's very famous, but he's not exactly a remarkable Olympian, by any means.

Although, in saying that, we'll probably see him be one of the eight to carry in the Olympic flag.

I'm wondering if there will be any specific nod to the Commonwealth of Nations? Similar to how the Alps community was at the Opening Ceremony of Turin 2006?

And I can't imagine putting them that much work into the cauldron and into keeping it secret just to give pretty clear hints about its look on those tickets. I suppose that the work on the cauldron was far bigger and more straining than the design of the tickets which are not really a centerpiece of the Games.

And come on, Thomas Heatherwick even says that he has absolutely no blueprints of the cauldron in his own office -- obviously out of fear that the look of the cauldron could be leaked. And then they print some sort of blueprint on hundreds of thousands of tickets??? Highly unrealistic IMO.

It's only a hint if they say it's a hint. Not saying anything means it could very well be nothing (as you suggest). That throws enough doubt on the whole subject to keep people guessing (witness this conversation). So its really not giving away anything.

The thing that's interesting to me is that all the ceremony tickets are all so obviously related. The images feel like depictions of the same three dimensional composition viewed from dfifferent perspectives. At this point there's no way to know if its the cauldron or not, but I still wouldn't rule out the possibility.

That image came from SOMEWHERE. Nowhere else has LOCOG incorporated a mysterious abstract graphic that seems to have no connection to any other part of the Look. Whether or not the ceremony tickets reflect the cauldron, I still think there is some significance to their design. It's just too intentional.

I'd also like to note that all the tickets do not look like trumpets, so I don't really give credence to the idea that it's just a generic, celebratory, abstract graphic.

It's only a hint if they say it's a hint. Not saying anything means it could very well be nothing (as you suggest). That throws enough doubt on the whole subject to keep people guessing (witness this conversation). So its really not giving away anything.

I agree. Perhaps the intent is for the normal ticketholder (i.e. not us gamesbids folk) to say, "OMG! The ticket is a picture of the cauldron! I was holding it this whole time and had no idea!"

Regardless of how unlikely the idea of a mosaic type cauldron is, I think it would be the most unique and innovative to date. I would really love it if they went with this route. They could "assemble" and light it (or light it and assemble it) then move it easily to an outside location easily for the duration of the games.

I keep thinking about the interview Heatherwick did and him saying that the cauldron and the actually lighting would be a "moment". That he was trying to capture a moment............

I think that's just the way artists talk. Technically, all cauldron lightings are "moments"... the moment the last torchbearer(s) touch(es) the ignite the big bowl of gas. I wouldn't read too much into what Heatherwick says will be a moment.

Hi all - posted on here many years ago (last time either before Torino or Beijing!!!), but can't remember what my username was so created a new account.

Just wanted to say, I doubt I've been this excited about a cauldron lighting - well, outside of when I was 9 years old and I lived less than 10km away from Stadium Australia. I hate surprises, so I've always read this in the past - probably since Athens, definitely since Torino - to try and ascertain how they'll light the cauldron.

I just got back from London, and it was the question always on my mind.

But it truly does seem a mystery so far, it's quite amazing. I'm very excited to see what will unfold. I hope this is a moment, as Heatherwick has suggested.

I know some are saying that the fact Cameron has given his approval doesn't mean much, but to me it is very significant. I very much doubt they would have thought of getting permission from Sir William Deane or John Howard in Sydney, or from Bill Clinton in Atlanta. Hu Jintao in Beijing? Perhaps. But I still doubt it.

It suggests to me it could be something on a scale we haven't seen before. I'm hoping it eclipses the lighting of the cauldron in Barcelona and Sydney - still the two pinnacles if you ask me.

We'll see. Also, as someone who is looking at British sport objectively, the only three people who've crossed my mind to light the cauldron are Roger Bannister, Steve Redgrave and Tom Daley. The former two because they are such great sportsmen, and the third because he represents the future of Britain's Olympians. I did read someone who thought he may be too old now, but he's only 18. Still so young.

I highly doubt Beckham would do it. Did hear someone suggest they thought the Queen would do it, given it is her Diamond Jubilee. But I highly doubt that too, she's already opening the games and surely they want to go for someone with sporting ties. The other name I did hear thrown about was Aung San Suu Kyi - reckon she should carry the Olympic flag if she's in Britain but the cauldron lighter should be a Brit...

Anyway, sure you'll see me pop up again in the next few days.

The custom of "celebrities" carrying the Olympic flag is a rather new thing started with Salt Lake City and is basically a Winter Games thing. Salt Lake and Torino had international guests, whereas Vancouver went with famous Canadians. It gets a bit hokey after a while. Britain has a wealth of sports stars so I think they could and should keep with the tradition of former Olympians bringing in the flag. It has been 64 years since the Olympic flag and flame were heralded on British soil, so there are plenty to choose from.

The custom of "celebrities" carrying the Olympic flag is a rather new thing started with Salt Lake City and is basically a Winter Games thing. Salt Lake and Torino had international guests, whereas Vancouver went with famous Canadians. It gets a bit hokey after a while. Britain has a wealth of sports stars so I think they could and should keep with the tradition of former Olympians bringing in the flag. It has been 64 years since the Olympic flag and flame were heralded on British soil, so there are plenty to choose from.

Ooops, scratch that. I misread Kenadian's post. He talks about "the"Olympic flag.

Yes, the non-sports celebrities thing started with Salt Lake. Correct. I don't know why I misinterpreted it as the various national flags.

What about Jessica Ennis as the final torchbearer? I think that a woman would be the best choice to light the cauldron.

If it were a woman it should be Kelly Holmes or Paralympian Tanni Grey Thompson. This time around, however, I think the men are more deserving. I don't see any woman who has that magical Cathy Freeman quality this time around. That was such an excellent choice, btw...

To be honest, Jessica Ennis falls pretty far short of the appropriate sporting pedigree.

OK, back on topic...

What if that James Bond helicopter thing that was thrown about a while back is for the flame? Something crazy like that would require input from high ups like the PM.

What are the plans for the torch relay on the day of the Opening Ceremony? For Vancouver, they ran it through the city and it ended at the Aboriginal Pavilion a few hours before the ceremony. The flame was then brought into BC Place Stadium for the big 'moment' several hours later.

Maybe it will stop at Buckingham Palace and then be 'coptered in in daring fashion?

Or Beckham kicking a flaming ball?

From Buckingham to Beckham?

Who knows? But this is a big mystery and anything farfetched wouldn't be all that farfetched at this time.

Hey, Guys... this is not a thread on Opening Ceremony & the lighting of the flame... but one about the Cauldron's location....

So any new idea ????

Do you have something to say about the cauldron location, O? By all means, go ahead. Otherwise the answer to your question is "no."

The title of the thread is "London 2012 Olympic Cauldron." The identity of the person who lights it fits in just fine -- certainly well enough to justify a handful of posts.We're not talking about the whole Opening Ceremony here. Heatherwick's comments about the lighting being a "moment" and getting the PM's permission could easily be location-related, but we don't know how.

If you really just want to read about cauldron locations. You'll just get a pointless recap of the unsubstantiated guesses that already take up many, many pages in this thread. No one knows. We've voiced our guesses. Until there's some sort of breaking story we have nothing else to say on that subject.

What do you have to contribute?

What are the plans for the torch relay on the day of the Opening Ceremony? For Vancouver, they ran it through the city and it ended at the Aboriginal Pavilion a few hours before the ceremony. The flame was then brought into BC Place Stadium for the big 'moment' several hours later.

It's being taken down the Thames on Gloriana, the Diamond Jubilee barge, in the morning and then staying at Tower Bridge for the rest of the day until it's transported to the Stadium that night; that part hasn't yet been announced.

OK, back on topic...

What if that James Bond helicopter thing that was thrown about a while back is for the flame? Something crazy like that would require input from high ups like the PM.

Maybe it will stop at Buckingham Palace and then be 'coptered in in daring fashion?

Or Beckham kicking a flaming ball?

From Buckingham to Beckham?

Who knows? But this is a big mystery and anything farfetched wouldn't be all that farfetched at this time.

Incidentally, this post doesn't subscribe to O's request for cauldron location discussion. You're still talking about "how" (helicopter) and "who" (Beckham) -- not where. So you're no more "on-topic" (in O's opinion) than the brief conversation about Jessica Ennis. Not that I have any problem with that....

All that sounds a bit far-fetched to me. It may be extremely unusual, but I think it will still operate on the level of human scale (rather than a rocket from an aircraft targeting the cauldron).

Do you have something to say about the cauldron location, O? By all means, go ahead. Otherwise the answer to your question is "no."

The title of the thread is "London 2012 Olympic Cauldron." The identity of the person who lights it fits in just fine -- certainly well enough to justify a handful of posts.We're not talking about the whole Opening Ceremony here. Heatherwick's comments about the lighting being a "moment" and getting the PM's permission could easily be location-related, but we don't know how.

If you really just want to read about cauldron locations. You'll just get a pointless recap of the unsubstantiated guesses that already take up many, many pages in this thread. No one knows. We've voiced our guesses. Until there's some sort of breaking story we have nothing else to say on that subject.

What do you have to contribute?

SwissO's posting was perfectly justified. We have a different thread in which we already discussed back and forth who could be the final torchbearer. This thread is indeed about the cauldron itself. And even if we have no new ideas where it could be and what it could look like, we should stick to this topic here and not open a second final torchbearer discussion here.

And as you said a few posts up...there's no news.

Each cauldron is not only different in its design, but also in its 'purpose', as it were. The cauldrons for Los Angeles, Barcelona, Atlanta, Salt Lake, Athens, Torino were all visible before the Opening Ceremony, so they were sort of a goal post at the end of their respective torch relays. The Calgary, Sydney and Vancouver cauldrons were hidden away until their 'moment', shrouded in a bit of mystery.

Clearly, LOCOG wants this to be a 'big reveal' so I don't think we are going to find out anything until that very last moment. Certainly, in an age of social media and wide spread speculation on the Internet, they are making the most of their 'moment' and the times they live in.

Since the London cauldron is constructed elsewhere, they will probably not be able to hide it until the very last moment (especially not if it's the external structure most participants in our poll are expecting). I bet pictures will leak when it will be transported from northern England to London -- unless they hide it in some sort of container. ;) In Baron's ceremonies book there's a picture of Salt Lake's tall cauldron being transported on a freeway to Salt Lake, without a major covering. I hope they'll do it similarly this time. ;)

Furthermore, they have to test it. Unless it's in the stadium, those pictures will probably leak, too.

Archived