London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

I too think that the symbols on the tickets are simply representations of the trumpets which you would expect from the city of Royal Fanfares heralding the Opening and Closing of the 2012 Olympics, not anything at all to do with hinting at a multi-part Cauldron design. There is no way they would leak a surprise like that or anything about the Cauldron to anyone other than the 'need to knows', let alone to the masses on tickets.

The first photo below is of some of the RAF Fanfare Trumpets, 8 of whom performed 'Valiant and Brave' at Prince William and Kate's Wedding in Westminster Abbey and so I think we can expect some fanatastic heralds during these Ceremonies. The second photo is of the Royal Opera fanfare trumpets.

Vancouver unfortunately had trouble with all four parts of their Cauldron to work. I still think that one majestic Cauldron with one flame will be lit.

raf-fanfare-trumpets-2-1302676844-view-1.jpg

fanfaretptsatroh.jpg

Edited by AustralianFan
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

It's not a "leak" without confirmation. It's still plenty mysterious. There's no way to know until we see the show. I still think a connection to the tickets is possible.

For the umpteenth time, it's not the Orbit.

• Like 1

It's not a "leak" without confirmation. It's still plenty mysterious. There's no way to know until we see the show. I still think a connection to the tickets is possible.

In the city with a long history, theatres and Royal fanfares, there are endless other possibilities for Ceremony ticket designs than feeding our collective obession (me included) with what the Cauldron will look like at this, London's third Olympic Games.

Edited by AustralianFan

First of all, its an honor to join the discussion I have been reading for months. I have two theories as to where the cauldron could be. #1 The Orbit. Reference the last picture of the top of the observation deck. Is the circle the same size as the fiver rings location around the stadium. See the most recent photos for these. Is it possible they form the Olympic Rings, burst into flames and stack to reveal a cauldron on top of the tower. #2 its on the promenade are near the old little bridge where there are the multi-colored surfaces and several little structures rise to make on big cauldron that is hidden under ground only to rise up and amaze us.

If the first is true, then Thomas Heatherwick could have designed a structure that rises from the square within the flames to rest atop the observation deck. Why would London 2012 build such a structure and only have it be an observation deck. LEGACY is a major part of these games since the bid. Why visit a, what some have called "ugly" tower in 20 or 30 years? Because it was the Olympic Cauldron it was the Olympic Cauldron is one good reason.

Except that there's no good place for it on the Orbit and the Orbit is totally unharmonious with Heatherwick's style.

Yes there's a square cavity. That could be for anything. The heat of the flame would compromise the overhead loop if you put it there. Not to mention the fact that the whole structure could become a firetrap.

Plus, as others have noted the cauldron planning was executed before the Orbit plans.

The cauldron will not be on the Orbit.

Yes there's a square cavity. That could be for anything.

Darjole's already said it's a skylight. It'd be very dark in the upper level otherwise!

The heat of the flame would compromise the overhead loop if you put it there. Not to mention the fact that the whole structure could become a firetrap.

The overhead loop is not directly overhead, it leans very much off to one side. Look at the earlier photos posted on this thread.

My shortlist of Cauldron locations is down to two: A separate Tower or the Orbit Tower.

I'm not ruling out either of these two since I am not on the inner sanctum LOCOG Cauldron team.

Edited by AustralianFan

I know I said they were theories. But it's a last minute thought I wanted to share. Look at the most recent aerial photos, the five rings seem to be the same size of the inner ring of the Orbit. And the top of the observation area is far enough from the red structure to support a flame.

If you visit The United States Olympic Committee Headquarters in Colorado Springs you can view the underside of the flame from a skylight.

Well if you're willing to pay £15 to go up a tower with a burning gas line in a metal cage above your head, with the only escape route if anything goes wrong a flimsy lift and staircase that takes ten minutes to get down...well.

• Like 1

I know I said they were theories. But it's a last minute thought I wanted to share. Look at the most recent aerial photos, the five rings seem to be the same size of the inner ring of the Orbit. And the top of the observation area is far enough from the red structure to support a flame.

Thomas Heatherwick is the Cauldron designer and I don't think he designed the Olympic Rings :).

Yes in the Stadium and on the roof there are five rings scattered around. Earlier specualtion was that they will 'fly' together early in the Opening Ceremony to be London's unique Olympic signature for these Games.

None of us know where in the Olympic Park the Cauldron will be located.

True. But I think we know some places it WON'T be located. I'd bet every penny I have that it won't be on the Orbit. It's going to be somewhere to the north of the stadium.

I know he design the rings. I could see two artists working together to create modern harmonious pieces What about theory number two. Several small cauldrons uniting as one. Like the ticket graphics. The muli-colored walkway is close off from pedestrian traffic right? It's near the suspicious area we have been talking about, its accessible to everyone and if they rise tall enough seen by everyone. It would look like the tree-structure at the entrance of the Stratford Station Thoughts? By the way, I take all opinions only because I want to see which one of us can figure it out while enjoying the big show on the 27th. As far a spoilers and leaks, I am a continent away and cannot wait for these games, for the ceremonies and seeing where the daring LOCOG team will "Inspire a Generation".

And whats with the wooden tower that was recently built near Straford for Ikea?

Well, the Calgary Tower had a flame on top during the 1988 Winter Games as well. So that doesn't totally rule out Olympic Flames on top of towers used by tourists.

But this shouldn't rekindle the old Orbit debate. It's not the cauldron, it's not the cauldron, it's not the cauldron. We would definitely see at this late stage of time if they had to prepare it for the cauldron construction. The less days are left before the opening ceremony, it's getting more and more probable that the cauldron will rather suddenly emerge somewhere or that they can assemble it very quickly.

I know he design the rings. I could see two artists working together to create modern harmonious pieces What about theory number two. Several small cauldrons uniting as one. Like the ticket graphics.

Some people here already speculated about it just a few pages before. Please look it up.

And whats with the wooden tower that was recently built near Straford for Ikea?

We already had that before as well (but it's longer ago, so you as newbie can't know it). A cauldron on top of a wooden tower? I suppose your question is already answered with that.

But besides of that, we know that that tower is just promotion of Ikea and it's also too far away from the stadium to be a cauldron.

We have reached a point where we can hardly develop any new theories about the cauldron's location, because we are guessing about it already for such a long time. That's why I really look forward to July 27 (or maybe even to an earlier day) when all that speculation can finally find an end.

Well, the Calgary Tower had a flame on top during the 1988 Winter Games as well. So that doesn't totally rule out Olympic Flames on top of towers used by tourists.

But this shouldn't rekindle the old Orbit debate. It's not the cauldron, it's not the cauldron, it's not the cauldron. We would definitely see at this late stage of time if they had to prepare it for the cauldron construction.

This is a forum and the pressure of speculation is mounting. Look away now if the heat is too much, lol

Currently there is only one Tower standing right now near the Olympic Stadium. I will not state it's name as it tends to cause some here to dry retch :blink:

22 days to go. There is still time for a pre-assembled second tower to be quickly erected one night, gaslines connected and the whole thing rigorously tested. We we are waiting for signs of that, but yes time is rapidly diminishing.

Edited by AustralianFan

They can't just put up a tall tower outside the stadium in a matter of days.

I've been saying this all along, you need a to dig out and pour a concrete foundation for something like that. With less than 20 days before they should begin testing the cauldron, there just isn't any time. Torino's took over a month to build. London has less time than that and their cauldron would still need to be taller than Torino's in order to be seen above the stadium's tall floodlights.

It's gotten to the point where one can reasonably and confidently say that a Torino-esque cauldron tower isn't going to happen.

They can't just put up a tall tower outside the stadium in a matter of days.

I've been saying this all along, you need a to dig out and pour a concrete foundation for something like that. With less than 20 days before they should begin testing the cauldron, there just isn't any time. Torino's took over a month to build. London has less time than that and their cauldron would still need to be taller than Torino's in order to be seen above the stadium's tall floodlights.

It's gotten to the point where one can reasonably and confidently say that a Torino-esque cauldron tower isn't going to happen.

True. A massive tower is unrealistic now. The only thing I deemed possible (due to the size of that plate north of the stadium) until now was a thin needle which wouldn't need that much of a foundation. But I have to say that Baron is probably right that the plate just covers some sort of water or sewage reservoir. And a thin needle would probably not be very visible and impressive.

But: This starts the big mystery all over again. We have gone through so many different scenarios now that we're completely stuck.

True. A massive tower is unrealistic now. The only thing I deemed possible (due to the size of that plate north of the stadium) until now was a thin needle which wouldn't need that much of a foundation. But I have to say that Baron is probably right that the plate just covers some sort of water or sewage reservoir.

I love this game! Strange that a sewage reservoir would be built on a perfect axis from the Olympic Stadium FOP. The good news is that we can all disagree, and possibly all be proved wrong at midnight 22 days from now...

If no new tower appears by the 20th, and there is still more construction at the top of the Orbital, then I am willing to concede that it may very well just be an adjunct to the (top of the) Orbital. So LOCOG's hand was forced by what is already there, with an inordinate use of steel.

I mean if they didn't use it, and one of the Opening Ceremony's themes is disregard for the environment and the havoc (and success) it has wrought on the land, I think building another tower at about the same height of the Orbital is anathema to what Boyle (and by extension, LOCOG) is trying to impart to the world via the Ceremony. Or are the themes of the OC just for show, and not validated by deeds? Just putting up another tower some 30 meters away from the Orbital would really solicit comments of "Was it really necessary, etc.?" when there is already all that extravagant use of steel there a hop, skip & a jump away?

What I'm saying is, will LOCOG's actions match their words? Thus, as the time gets closer, and nothing else is coming up, perhaps it could be the Orbital. Still not fully convinced yet, but it should not be dismissed.

(Even my spy within Boyle's team refuses to drop me a broad hint!! :( )

Edited by baron-pierreIV

LC.jpgf.jpg

I definitely think the ticket graphic is the couldron, I made this a while ago and I have another one I think could be more fesable that I'll post later.

Has the "bell" been revealed???

Edited by paul
  • Like 2

^^^What is that?

It isn't going to be on the Orbit. Here's why...the Orbit was designed by Kapoor as 'art'. Heatherwick, too, is an artist. You don't take a Picasso and stick it on a Matisse and then set fire to it, do you? Unless they collaborated, this is not going to happen.

• Like 1

1. Health and safety (people in a metal cage with a huge flame nearby)

2. Artistic integrity (a Heatherwick on a Kapoor, nope)

3. Visibility (the loops will get in the way from many angles unless you're going to put something huge on top and I can't imagine that looking any good)

4. The guy who runs the Orbit says there are no gas lines running up it

5. The fact that the square at the top is to let light in, not a foundation for anything (and even if it were possible to build a cauldron there, people paying to go up the Orbit wouldn't be able to see it)

6. The Oribt is not LOCOG's creation and they do not manage it; they are simply selling tickets for it during the Games - why would they let Boris' structure take all their credit?

But we've gone over all of these points many times and some people still seem to think the Orbit would work. So I doubt my listing them all again will change any minds.

Paul, erecting ONE stalk overnight is cutting it close, what more a dozen? :blink: How do you control the flow of gas for a dozen cauldrons? :wacko:

And the IOC would never sanction such a waste of resources--let alone such an idea goes totally AGAINST the 'respect for the environment' theme of the OC.

Could the flame & cauldron be a hologram in the stadium?

Edited by baron-pierreIV