London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

1. Health and safety (people in a metal cage with a huge flame nearby)

2. Artistic integrity (a Heatherwick on a Kapoor, nope)

3. Visibility (the loops will get in the way from many angles unless you're going to put something huge on top and I can't imagine that looking any good)

4. The guy who runs the Orbit says there are no gas lines running up it

5. The fact that the square at the top is to let light in, not a foundation for anything (and even if it were possible to build a cauldron there, people paying to go up the Orbit wouldn't be able to see it)

6. The Oribt is not LOCOG's creation and they do not manage it; they are simply selling tickets for it during the Games - why would they let Boris' structure take all their credit?

But we've gone over all of these points many times and some people still seem to think the Orbit would work. So I doubt my listing them all again will change any minds.

I'm out of positive votes, but I TOTALLY agree with the above.

Just because we can't imagine a solution for a cauldron with some height doesn't mean it isn't possible. LOCOG has CLEARLY worked very hard on the cauldron (the level of secrecy alone is evidence of that). Whatever they do has been carefully planned for years. It must involve extensive modular construction off-site. I suspect many of us will be surprised by the outcome and several of us may have to eat our words and acknowledge that our emphatic statements about what is "impossible" we're in fact inaccurate.

I will humbly admit I was totally wrong if that flame ends up burning atop the Orbit throughout the Games. But at this point I am as convinced as I can be that the cauldron is NOT on that hideous tower.

LC.jpgf.jpg

I definitely think the ticket graphic is the couldron, I made this a while ago and I have another one I think could be more fesable that I'll post later.

Has the "bell" been revealed???

This is very much what I imagined when I saw the tickets, but perhaps with a more asymmetrical composition. Have to wait and see.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

It's not the same at all. It's vaguely reminiscent and intellectual property issues are notoriously difficult to prove. I can imagine Heatherwick coming up with a distant cousin of that concept all on his own without ever having seen that design.

Finally, a breakthrough!! Here's how it was shot a few weeks ago via special high-resolution night-vision lenses.

7384308626_2f42472dd9_b.jpg

It's been there all the time. But it is so well camoflaugued that until they stripdown the very secret CIA-M Section coating, no one can see it during the daylight hours! People have been looking in the wrong places!

Finally, a breakthrough!! Here's how it was shot a few weeks ago via special high-resolution night-vision lenses.

It's been there all the time. But it is so well camoflaugued that until they stripdown the very secret CIA-M Section coating, no one can see it during the daylight hours! People have been looking in the wrong places!

I posted the first pics of Beijing's cauldron four years ago, but Baron gets credit this year!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh Behave !! :P.

Edited by AustralianFan

LC.jpgf.jpg

I definitely think the ticket graphic is the couldron, I made this a while ago and I have another one I think could be more fesable that I'll post later.

Has the "bell" been revealed???

Yes, but in the model revealed by Boyle, not real scale. It is at the top of one of the entrance of the stadium at the bottom of the sits. Surely it will be the entrance for the parade!

To throw people off. Viewers will think the design was for Beijing; but it's really today, in 2012. ;)

It's in Beijing. Totally confirmed you still don't learn to read! :wacko:

what r u talking about, Nacho? They've never revealed anything at all like those mulitple trumpets? That's like Lighting a DOZEN b-day candles instead of a giant one.

I was refering to the "bell" not the trumpets! >(?)

It's in Beijing. Totally confirmed you still don't learn to read! :wacko:

Yes, Nacho, I KNOW it's from Beijing. I just thought it fit the "ticket design" providing a DEFINITE cauldron clue theory perfectly. I mean those "trumpet-like" designs couldn't be more matching -- except it's for the WRONG city.

I was refering to the "bell" not the trumpets! >(?)

The bell, I believe, is going to ring only in the beginning (to wake up that "fictional Brigadoon of an English village"); and at some point in the evening, they are going to roll it away. U can't have that thing ringing all night. It's going to be a boring, irritating show if that were the case. How many times do you hear church bells ring before they get on your nerves??

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The bell, I believe, is going to ring only in the beginning (to wake up that "fictional Brigadoon of an English village"); and at some point in the evening, they are going to roll it away. U can't have that thing ringing all night.

The bell weighs 27 tonnes; I think it will stay put throughout the Ceremony although it's not going to ring throughout. I was a little surprised by it; I'd expected the bell to gleam in brass but it's got a dark matte finish.

The bell weighs 27 tonnes; I think it will stay put throughout the Ceremony although it's not going to ring throughout. I was a little surprised by it; I'd expected the bell to gleam in brass but it's got a dark matte finish.

Yes, Nacho, I KNOW it's from Beijing. I just thought it fit the "ticket design" providing a DEFINITE cauldron clue theory perfectly. I mean those "trumpet-like" designs couldn't be more matching -- except it's for the WRONG city.

The bell, I believe, is going to ring only in the beginning (to wake up that "fictional Brigadoon of an English village"); and at some point in the evening, they are going to roll it away. U can't have that thing ringing all night. It's going to be a boring, irritating show if that were the case. How many times do you hear church bells ring before they get on your nerves??

Jjajajaja you're right!!! Remember for royal wedding last year they rang with no cease!!!

Out of curiosity, I took a look back at the Beijing 2008 forum and it looks like the first posting identifying the cauldron was on August 3, 2008...some 5 days before the Opening Ceremony. There are still 21 days before the Opening of the London Games so there's plenty of time for LOCOG to do almost anything. And 21 more days of us playing this insane guessing game. Wonder who will come closest to the truth? :)

Oh, and do you think the community cauldrons could give away a hint of what the big sucker will look like? Sorry, I can't find a decent pic. Beijing's was very much in family, although not all of them are.

Out of curiosity, I took a look back at the Beijing 2008 forum and it looks like the first posting identifying the cauldron was on August 3, 2008...some 5 days before the Opening Ceremony. There are still 21 days before the Opening of the London Games so there's plenty of time for LOCOG to do almost anything. And 21 more days of us playing this insane guessing game. Wonder who will come closest to the truth? :)

I believe we knew that it's a scroll-shaped structure already before August 3. But anyway, we knew that they built a cauldron there on the roof already since late May 2008. It was obvious due to the "rubber hangar". So the construction started already more than two months before the opening ceremony. That's why London's time is running very short now -- and it's highly improbable they will build something very tall and complex. It's also improbable that they are hiding an at least 70 metres tall structure somewhere in the ground.

Let's be clear. Time isn't "running short" for London. It's not as if they've been procrastinating and are left with their backup plan.

They are implementing a plan developed years ago according to a carefully mapped timetable. They have exactly the time they need to realize their vision.

Instead of lamenting all the things that are "sadly no longer possible" (as if that ship has sailed!) let's just wait and see what emerges.

• Like 1