London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good spot Kevzz, those photos have just been released and I can confirm the ones of the stadium are very up to date as I was there when they were taken last night. Still no signs of the cauldron here though... I wonder if Adrian is referring to the signage near the Stratford gate?

ok i may be way behind and it might of already been mentioned but has anybody thought of the large white temporary building near the stadium as a hiding place? middle bottom of picture

AN5879439Aerial+view+of+the.jpg

The larger tents around the stadium, I believe, are--and participants, correct me if I am wrong-- Ceremonies staging tents which will house the large Ceremonies props and the cast while they are waiting their turn, or waiting to be bused out.

(That idiotic Orbital really threw things around for a tower cauldron.)

This might sound weird - any chance there could be a cauldron on The Mall? Seeing as it is going to act like a provisional Olympic Stadium with the Marathon/Road Walks/Cycling Road Race finishing there and the Triathlon passing there. Just a thought - then it would still be visible to a number of participants, just not at the Olympic stadium...

This might sound weird - any chance there could be a cauldron on The Mall? Seeing as it is going to act like a provisional Olympic Stadium with the Marathon/Road Walks/Cycling Road Race finishing there and the Triathlon passing there. Just a thought - then it would still be visible to a number of participants, just not at the Olympic stadium...

Lighting the cauldron is the climax of the OC. It will happen at the stadium -- not elsewhere (Thames, Mall, etc.)

That is huge! I was there for the Diamond Jubilee and saw some seating which I thought was for the Olympics, but now I think they must have just been to see the horses.

During the Diamond Jubilee were the stands for the rehearsals and the staging of Trooping the colour indeed. The Queen's birthday parade which was held two weeks after the Diamond Jubilee.

Lighting the cauldron is the climax of the OC. It will happen at the stadium -- not elsewhere (Thames, Mall, etc.)

Maybe the show the lighting on a screen.

The actual lighting is in the stadium to light a cauldron elsewhere ;)

Maybe the show the lighting on a screen.

The actual lighting is in the stadium to light a cauldron elsewhere ;)

That would be miserably anti-climactic and if I'd paid 2012 pounds for a ticket, I'd be PISSED if I had to watch the biggest moment of the ceremonies on a screen. No way. The cauldron is at the stadium.

I can't multi-quote from the iPad so I'll have to recap answers to the above:

)

- yes, the big white building is a ceremonies dress and staging space (and any stuff you see around it is for ceremonies or OBS

- the long white tube is a covered walkway from the 400m warmup track to the stadium

- my money remains on lighting inside to a cauldron outside. I'm pretty confident that I know at least part of the lighting 'moment' but certainly not going to post it here!

My attempts to catch sight of the northern concrete square were scuppers on my most recent trip to the stadium, will try again at the next rehersal.

We'll know in two weeks from now...

My attempts to catch sight of the northern concrete square were scuppers on my most recent trip to the stadium, will try again at the next rehersal.

On the most recent pictures which were posted here it didn't seem that there are any preparations on that square. It really seems just to be the lid of a sewage or rainwater reservoir.

I would normally agree. In fact, I do agree it should happen at the stadium. It just seems there aren't many candidates for Stratford, and it would definitely be breathtaking if the cauldron was elsewhere.

That would be miserably anti-climactic and if I'd paid 2012 pounds for a ticket, I'd be PISSED if I had to watch the biggest moment of the ceremonies on a screen. No way. The cauldron is at the stadium.

i don't think you can take alcohol into the stadium?!

Archived