Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

^^ Usually it should get embeeded automatically once you post the link. I'm not sure why it didn't. Try posting the links separately.

By the way, since we're nearing to the Commonwealth Games opening, someone posted a new half hour vid with excerpts of the 1986 games. Ones which were sadly marred by the African boycott and the organization issues (in big contrast with Glasgow which has been so far pretty good on the build up)

It shows pretty much all the ceremony minus the intro with the Scotland Flag (which you can find separately in Youtube) and the later parts of the protocol

^^ About time they uploaded it. It was 16 years ago and that ceremony was still better than the crap we saw two years ago :lol: (also the 1998 show was done by the same guys who did the 2004 Paralympics opening)

*two days ago

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if there is full OC video of:

• 1984 Summer Olympics
  • 1984 Winter Olympics
  • 1980 Summer olympics - parade of nations

I've been looking for them for ages... I've downloaded most of the other Games OC, some of them were deleted now, happy that I can download them before they're deleted :D

I still don't understand what the IOC has to lose by just uploading them all themselves? Its not like these things have any commercial value - and if they do - why not just charge? Its the fact that the IOC doesn't even offer a way to purchase them that makes their stubborn-ness even more frustrating.

Hey there. I managed to do a rare find of the seemingly complete opening ceremony of the first IAAF World Championships in Athletics in Helsinki, 1983. Which was a somewhat nicely choreographed gymnastic display for the time.

http://yle.fi/elavaarkisto/artikkelit/yleisurheilun_mm-kisat_helsingissa_1983_23935.html

Sadly, for some reason, the video is not loading in my place. Is everyone else having the same issue? Since I would love to see the video. Any help would be appreciated.

This video has a small excerpt of it, although in bad VHS quality

• 2 weeks later...

Reactions to the 2014 ceremonies -- (from RSA of course, but I agree for the most part...)

http://citizen.co.za/194725/sa-unimpressed-world-cup-opening-ceremony/

Franco Dragone (ex-Cirque du Soleil guy) was in charge this time. (I think Sochi 2014 alumni, Ernst and George Tsypin, might do Russia 2018.)

Looking back 4 years ago....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq9a0HADiV0

Was Shakira wearing the same outfit this time again?? :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the name of the song that was played in Beijing during the torch relay in the stadium (before Li Ning got it)

and during the fireworks after the cauldron lighting?

Couldn´t find it on youtube.

Does anyone know the name of the song that was played in Beijing during the torch relay in the stadium (before Li Ning got it)

and during the fireworks after the cauldron lighting?

Couldn´t find it on youtube.

It is on YouTube actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ELaady0eMQ

And that channel on which it's posted offers the whole ceremonial soundtrack for Beijing's OC: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0UkJilgv7mKvO0njFUd1qQ

• Like 1

While people are still bearing that god-awful CWG closing here's the full closing ceremony, at last, of Bangkok 1998, which honestly I feel it was better than the opening, with a great depiction of the Ramayana epic.

Closing Ceremony of Tunis 2001 back when Ben Ali was still ruling the country

Curious fact. The 9/11 attacks happened during the realization of the games, which is why the cultural performances were removed and only the protocol was kept as a sign of respect (i believe some flags were taken at half mast too)

Also, handover of Almeria 2005 near the end of the vid.

Amateur footage of Split 1979 Mediterranean Games opening in Yugoslavia (in present day Croatia) with original audio from inside the stadium. Notice it was mostly modeled after Montreal '76 ceremony.

Also a very rare find, opening of the 1983 Winter Universiade in Sofia, Bulgaria.