Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

never heard of that festival or whatever it is...

It's what it says it is: a Great (as in, tens of thousands of competitors) North (as in the North of England) Run (as in half-marathon).

The reason for the OC was simply that they had realised that for the first known time in history, a single International Athletics Association event was going to reach a cumulative total of one million competitors.

Here's a longer video:

Balanced Australia apparently pretty much stopped with his building of the Moscow 1980 Olympic Opening Ceremonies that 7 aired with the Australian commentary. Or maybe he's still, piece by piece, getting the video and audio material and synching and digitizing them together. We looked forward to seeing new installments every month. but if he has indeed stopped, it's a shame. But just today a few hours ago, I saw that a Brazilian named Gilberto De Andrade Rezende has uploaded a more fuller, commercial break-free Opening Ceremony, particularly the Parade of Nations, that Balanced Australia couldn't, that was live from Brazilian TV network TV Cultura (RTC), which shared the Moscow 1980 coverage with Brazilian media juggernaut TV Globo; it fills with the nations that Seven omitted due to commercial breaks and beyond (like you will at last see the Danish team marching) before resuming with Yugoslavia henceforth in progress to Jamaica to the Soviet hosts with better and longer shots of Denmark, Andorra, Afghanistan, Benin, Burma, etc. And I'm really glad that I did this since I'm more of a completist when it comes to this. We honestly don't know, unless you watched it down in Australia on Seven, when the commercial breaks came on for this during the parade. No doubt it would omit some nations. Seeing this from Brazil, which is interesting because the nation had a military dictatorship government back then and participated instead of joining the boycott like so many military-ruled Latin American nations did despite tremendous pressure from the USA, adds on to what we've already seen through the Soviet, Australian, and what bits we get from the French news reports. Bad news is, the video and audio quality is very poor (actually, the video does get better with each subsequent video chapter and the audio is nonexistent). But at least it's getting seen on YouTube and I'm glad it's being seen. Look forward to seeing other nations' coverage, if they appear.

By the way, if those camera shots, including those few designated tight shots of the flagbearers carrying the unseen Olympic flags from camera range so as not to upset the Soviets, are familiar, and all positioned in the same few spots, they indeed are. Foreign broadcasters had to strike a deal with TV CCCP with all the disputed terms and images available for editing with everything centralized in Moscow's IBC. And those TV cameramen and photographers won't be that close to the delegations along the track now with all the subsequent technology since. Hopefully, all the Moscow Olympics Opening Ceremony footage will remastered and spliced together. We've all seen the beginning and the formalities from Balanced Australia with far better video and audio quality, so I'll skip that and start with the Parade of Nations. You'll see the debuts of Angola, Botswana, Cyprus, Jordan, Zimbabwe (previously marched in the Olympics as Rhodesia), Mozambique, Seychelles, and Laos. A full and unified Vietnam team too though the north never competed. Sri Lanka marches as that after being Ceylon in 1972. Benin, by then a People's Marxist-Leninist republic, previously marched and competed as Dahomey. Afghanistan, missing due to the commercial break, no doubts gets a rousing reception upon entering as you'll see here immediately following Olympic debutants Angola with the invasion. TV Cultura actually starts its Moscou Olimpiadas 1980 broadcast with highlights from Montreal preceeding it. Ceremonies and competition constantly looped. Unlike now with commentary from the stadium. Actually, I'll start with the First part anyway with the TV Cultura Olympic intro logo. Moscow starts at Part 4 with the torch relay through the streets of Moscow at 2:17.

I'm skipping Parts 5 and 6 so that we can immediately get to the complete Moscow 1980 Parade of Nations from Brazil's TV Cultura's live and commercial-free coverage.

Greece, Australia, Austria, Algeria, and Angola with Andorra, Afghanistan, Belgium, and Benin that were all omitted due to the Seven Network's commercial break

Belgium and Benin again followed by Burma with and when Seven resuming with Bulgaria, Botswana, Brazil, Great Britain, Hungary, and Venezuela

Vietnam, Guyana, Guatemala, Guinea, German Democratic Republic (East Germany)--now here's where the fun really begins on this long-awaited Gamesbids.com premiere!--Denmark, Dominican Republic, Zambia, Zimbabwe, India, and Jordan

Jordan, Iraq, Ireland, Iceland, Spain, Italy, Cameroon, Cyprus, Colombia, Congo-Brazzavile (People's Republic of the Congo), North Korea (DPR Korea), Costa Rica, Cuba, Kuwait, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Lebanon, Libya, and Luxembourg

Worth noting here that Liberia, after it marched with its 7 athletes in the Opening Ceremony, eventually later joined the US-led boycott and thus removed its athletes from Moscow.

(From Laos to Luxembourg) Madagascar, Mali, Malta, Mexico, Mozambique, Mongolia, Nepal, Nigeria, The Netherlands, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, and Romania

Senegal, Sierra Leone (with a Seychelles cameo afterwards), Syria, Tanzania, Trinidad & Tobago, Uganda, Finland, France, and Czechoslovakia

Well, it's not quite entirely complete: Sweden, Switzerland, San Marino, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, and Ecuador are actually missing here. We don't get the complete Romanian delegation view. Nor the Seychelles. San Marino is surely missing because of the omission. Actually, after Czechoslovakia, Switzerland, Sweden, Ecuador, and Ethiopia do come in the Russian language recalling from Sochi then Yugoslavia, Jamaica, and then the Soviet Union. But Gilberto has yet to install that final part yet...

Funny seeing how the Tanzanians marched into Lenin Stadium. Almost in a silly step. Furthermore, when did the IOC allowed Tanzania to be since called the United Republic of Tanzania during the ceremonies? Hope you enjoyed seeing the Moscow Parade of Nations footage as I did despite the poor video and no audio. Soviet TV (TV CCCP) just couldn't wait to cut away fast enough from the sole Olympic flagbearers as they march and introduced. Maybe we should notify Gilberto about this omission of Romania, Seychelles, Sweden, Switzerland, San Marino, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, and Ecuador. Did a check on YouTube for any other foreign Moscow 1980 Opening Ceremony broadcasts but found none whatsoever so far. But I'll keep looking hard. There is some more Moscow footage I'll put up here too very shortly.

Funny seeing how the Tanzanians marched into Lenin Stadium. Almost in a silly step. Furthermore, when did the IOC allowed Tanzania to be since called the United Republic of Tanzania during the ceremonies? Hope you enjoyed seeing the Moscow Parade of Nations footage as I did despite the poor video and no audio. Soviet TV (TV CCCP) just couldn't wait to cut away fast enough from the sole Olympic flagbearers as they march and introduced. Maybe we should notify Gilberto about this omission of Romania, Seychelles, Sweden, Switzerland, San Marino, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, and Ecuador. Did a check on YouTube for any other foreign Moscow 1980 Opening Ceremony broadcasts but found none whatsoever so far. But I'll keep looking hard. There is some more Moscow footage I'll put up here too very shortly.

Flash forward four years later. SpiritOf84 just uploaded the long-awaited (by us at least) full ABC live broadcast of the 1984 Los Angeles Opening Ceremony, hosted by Jim McKay and Peter Jennings, five days ago after being inuandated with numerous requests to put up the entire one! Gonna make BTHarner's day even further! :) First time since it was broadcast live on ABC since I last saw this in full--though I have to admit I didn't watch all of it but most. Something that Todd/LA84 planned to do before his unfortunate passing, if I recall correctly. Nonetheless, it's good to see upon the 30th anniversary of these Games, seeing a then-record number of nations in the 140+ plateau as opposed to Moscow's 81. We'll see Etta James again in the southern portion of American music with the "When The Saints Go Marching In" and the flag card stunt. Good to watch some vintage TV commercials and ABC promos, which I don't mind. And the Antwerp flag handover ceremony, all the Olympic protocol, with a Gene Kelly interview with Donna de Verona with aptly all the choreography, something I don't remember. Everything is in proper sequence instead of segments where we many of us had to figure out exactly they go properly to piece them together. This is the era where we start the more casual, colorful, and enthusiastic tone--and very prosperous and technologically-advanced period and moving away from the formal, austere, and militaristic tone from Moscow and backward. Now we can hope for the full closing. Enjoy! :)

Oh, Gilberto De Andrade Rezende wasn't done with just Moscow. He managed to upload LA's Closing that was live on now-defunct TV Machete in Brazil but with (again) no audio. Starting with Ueberroth and Samaranch walking down from the steps following their respective closing speeches with the Olympic flag being lowered and the Olympic hymn sung.

Flash forward four years later. SpiritOf84 just uploaded the long-awaited (by us at least) full ABC live broadcast of the 1984 Los Angeles Opening Ceremony, hosted by Jim McKay and Peter Jennings, five days ago after being inuandated with numerous requests to put up the entire one! Gonna make BTHarner's day even further! :) First time since it was broadcast live on ABC since I last saw this in full--though I have to admit I didn't watch all of it but most. Something that Todd/LA84 planned to do before his unfortunate passing, if I recall correctly. Nonetheless, it's good to see upon the 30th anniversary of these Games, seeing a then-record number of nations in the 140+ plateau as opposed to Moscow's 81. We'll see Etta James again in the southern portion of American music with the "When The Saints Go Marching In" and the flag card stunt. Good to watch some vintage TV commercials and ABC promos, which I don't mind. And the Antwerp flag handover ceremony, all the Olympic protocol, with a Gene Kelly interview with Donna de Verona with aptly all the choreography, something I don't remember. Everything is in proper sequence instead of segments where we many of us had to figure out exactly they go properly to piece them together. This is the era where we start the more casual, colorful, and enthusiastic tone--and very prosperous and technologically-advanced period and moving away from the formal, austere, and militaristic tone from Moscow and backward. Now we can hope for the full closing. Enjoy! :)

Oh, Gilberto De Andrade Rezende wasn't done with just Moscow. He managed to upload LA's Closing that was live on now-defunct TV Machete in Brazil but with (again) no audio. Starting with Ueberroth and Samaranch walking down from the steps following their respective closing speeches with the Olympic flag being lowered and the Olympic hymn sung.

Peter Ueberroth and Juan Antonio Samaranch making their closing speeches with the latter receiving the Olympic Order of Merit at the CC, which should be before the previous chapter but went out of sequence.

This segment has the more complete fireworks through the Olympic years segment that somehow got shortchanged in the other one

It's a shame Spirit of 84 didn't start recording three hours before the ceremony, then I could watch my beloved Seahawks thrash Tampa Bay 38-0 in the Hall of Fame Game...It was a good day.

Watching that video made me remember that I didn't even get to see it in color back in 1984. We had just moved into our new house and the TV wire would only reach as far as my bedroom with the old black and white set (Didn't have any place to set the bigger color TV yet). So there we sat me, my sister, and my mom all crowded on my tiny bed watching the OC. Thankfully my dad had a softball tournament and was away.

I enjoy seeing those ABC promos, I know we had a discussion elsewhere about how shows fare after heavy promotion during the Olympics. so I looked up that Glitter...it lasted only three episodes before being yanked. It was brought back later and didn't last any longer than the first time.

• Like 1

No, it was Kirk Douglas. Jim McKay erroneously called him Cary Grant initially. But he quickly identified him as Kirk.

Sorry, but that wasn't what I was talking about. I didn't mean the moment when Kirk Douglas was shown and Jim McKay called him Cary Grant erroneously, but the moment when the actual Cary Grant (I at least believe it's him) could be seen during the end of the entertainment segment. It's at 50:13 in the complete video:

Neither Jim McKay nor Peter Jennings say anything while Cary Grant is shown. So we talk about two different moments.

I did this video with short excerpts of the ceremonies of the 1994 Commonwealth Games in Victoria, Canada, from one old vid I had of CBC

I'm kinda dissapointed no one has posted the opening ceremony of this one, as well for Kuala Lumpur. Here's hoping someone puts it on the Tube someday

Thanks for sharing your story, BTHarner! :) Funny you brought up the whole black and white coverage you and your family of the ABC 1984 Los Angeles Olympics because I too underwent that scenario with my family except that the TV was a color AOC model that my family bought for Christmas the year before Well into the new year somehow during the spring, the color reception from the local ABC affiliate KTVI Channel 2 (now a FOX affiliate following a 1995 swap with KDNL Channel 30, then with FOX) on our TV went black and white for still-mysterious reasons while all the channels on the local dial still had it (we lacked cable then). So we all saw the Los Angeles Olympics in black and white, grinning and bearing it with no complaints with me curious as to what the colors of the venues was going on, though I could imagine what they were in LA. We eventually got color back on the TV for Channel 2 later on in the year, though, well after the LA Olympics. So it's the first time thanks to YouTube I too witnessed it entirely in color. Those promos do take me back. Same as it ever was when it comes to a show's staying power despite heavy Olympic promotion

OK, I see what you're talking about now Olympian2004. Kinda does look like him before he died, but Jim McKay failed to ID him even where there was enough face time on that shot for that to happen.

Athens', Vancouver's, Seoul's, Lillehammer, and even Munich's ceremonies are shown in their entirties. Moscow's closing ceremonies is very much full, just not the opening with the complete Parade of Nations for example. Many others are just shown in parts when nowdays YouTube uploaders can place the whole thing up. Someday soon we will see Sydney, Torino, Calgary, Montreal, Lake Placid, Moscow's opening, Salt Lake City, Albertville, Los Angeles' closing, and Sarajevo in full, LatinXTC.

And I'm really glad that I did this since I'm more of a completist when it comes to this. We honestly don't know, unless you watched it down in Australia on Seven, when the commercial breaks came on for this during the parade. No doubt it would omit some nations. Seeing this from Brazil, which is interesting because the nation had a military dictatorship government back then and participated instead of joining the boycott like so many military-ruled Latin American nations did despite tremendous pressure from the USA, adds on to what we've already seen through the Soviet, Australian, and what bits we get from the French news reports. Bad news is, the video and audio quality is very poor (actually, the video does get better with each subsequent video chapter and the audio is nonexistent). But at least it's getting seen on YouTube and I'm glad it's being seen. Look forward to seeing other nations' coverage, if they appear.

By the way, if those camera shots, including those few designated tight shots of the flagbearers carrying the unseen Olympic flags from camera range so as not to upset the Soviets, are familiar, and all positioned in the same few spots, they indeed are. Foreign broadcasters had to strike a deal with TV CCCP with all the disputed terms and images available for editing with everything centralized in Moscow's IBC. And those TV cameramen and photographers won't be that close to the delegations along the track now with all the subsequent technology since. Hopefully, all the Moscow Olympics Opening Ceremony footage will remastered and spliced together. We've all seen the beginning and the formalities from Balanced Australia with far better video and audio quality, so I'll skip that and start with the Parade of Nations. You'll see the debuts of Angola, Botswana, Cyprus, Jordan, Zimbabwe (previously marched in the Olympics as Rhodesia), Mozambique, Seychelles, and Laos. A full and unified Vietnam team too though the north never competed. Sri Lanka marches as that after being Ceylon in 1972. Benin, by then a People's Marxist-Leninist republic, previously marched and competed as Dahomey. Afghanistan, missing due to the commercial break, no doubts gets a rousing reception upon entering as you'll see here immediately following Olympic debutants Angola with the invasion. TV Cultura actually starts its Moscou Olimpiadas 1980 broadcast with highlights from Montreal preceeding it. Ceremonies and competition constantly looped. Unlike now with commentary from the stadium. Actually, I'll start with the First part anyway with the TV Cultura Olympic intro logo. Moscow starts at Part 4 with the torch relay through the streets of Moscow at 2:17.

Wow, I think I got a friend who has the same interest like me... complete the parade of nations :D

^^ I got excerpts in my account which i found from an old brazilian account (now nuked) but thats all I have.

Extinguishing of the cauldron of the Central American and Caribbean Games in Ponce, 1993. Notice the huge similarity with what was done in Athens 2004.(The kids carying candles supossedly from the cauldron)