Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

^^ I had a friend long time ago who used to own a very old website dedicated to the Pan Am Games (now defunct) which had this ceremony. Sadly it seems he didn't had any device to help him record the VHS tape onto the comp back then. I dunno about now. The excerpt I posted on my Youtube account was from TV Globo (Brazil) but that's the only thing i had so far of it. Plus it seems the background audio is not matching what is happening on the video.

^^ I had a friend long time ago who used to own a very old website dedicated to the Pan Am Games (now defunct) which had this ceremony. Sadly it seems he didn't had any device to help him record the VHS tape onto the comp back then. I dunno about now. The excerpt I posted on my Youtube account was from TV Globo (Brazil) but that's the only thing i had so far of it. Plus it seems the background audio is not matching what is happening on the video.

Interesting, Do you still have any contact with him? or even the old URL of the website? I really want to watch the ceremony, I've seen your video and another one, which made me interested in watching the entire thing.

Altho the need for filler was only required where the telecast was live. In delayed showings, any gaps would be edited and be filled with however many commercials.

I accidentally found information on what NBC cut from the Beijing opening while looking for something else, as usual:

Encoding the Olympics - The Beijing Olympic Games and the Communication Impact Worldwide

edited by Luo Qing, Giuseppe Richeri

Routledge, 2013, ISBN 9781135747442 [uS paperback ISBN 9780415754835]

page 191:

... "some parts of the performance were cut, including Beijing Opera's puppet show, the Kun music, a short video introducing 'the four treasures in the study', national dancing before the athletes' parade, the swearing-in ceremony and the flight of the dove of peace."

I accidentally found information on what NBC cut from the Beijing opening while looking for something else, as usual:

Encoding the Olympics - The Beijing Olympic Games and the Communication Impact Worldwide

edited by Luo Qing, Giuseppe Richeri

Routledge, 2013, ISBN 9781135747442 [uS paperback ISBN 9780415754835]

page 191:

... "some parts of the performance were cut, including Beijing Opera's puppet show, the Kun music, a short video introducing 'the four treasures in the study', national dancing before the athletes' parade, the swearing-in ceremony and the flight of the dove of peace."

Funny, Google blocked out page 191 (for me). But a video explaining the 4 treasures did seem to be absent, specially as they only showed the one for paper.

What was the "flight of the dove of peace"? I thought they did the "dove" bit in the Starmen and Lang-Lang-piano sequence (at the 32:00 - 33:00 mark)? That part wasn't cut (in the US at least). Or was there another one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvrp2USH_LY

^^ Yes, there was one. Just before the olympic torch (or the flag) arrived if i'm not wrong. A chinese singer perfomed one of Beijing 2008 theme songs (not You and Me but another one) as people on the stands were required to make dove signals with their hands. At the conclusion of the song, fireworks in form of wings came from the north and southern side of the Bird Nest, making it look from the distance as a huge flying bird.

NBC cutted down that scene, sadly. Another reason why I don't bother watching their ceremonies streams anymore.

^^ Yes, there was one. Just before the olympic torch (or the flag) arrived if i'm not wrong. A chinese singer perfomed one of Beijing 2008 theme songs (not You and Me but another one) as people on the stands were required to make dove signals with their hands. At the conclusion of the song, fireworks in form of wings came from the north and southern side of the Bird Nest, making it look from the distance as a huge flying bird.

NBC cutted down that scene, sadly. Another reason why I don't bother watching their ceremonies streams anymore.

Oh. Sounds kitschy to me. I guess NBC was OK in cutting that.

Interesting, Do you still have any contact with him? or even the old URL of the website? I really want to watch the ceremony, I've seen your video and another one, which made me interested in watching the entire thing.

His name is Eblibrarian. I believe the link to his website was this one:

http://ourworld.cs.com/eblibrarian/

I have asked him via email but I must see if he answers. I haven't contacted him in many years.

Oh. Sounds kitschy to me. I guess NBC was OK in cutting that.

Possibly so! I guess what you remember seeing is this, in the middle of the main pre-parade artistic segment:

but what NBC didn't show was the real dove segment, which is indeed rather kitschy (it should automatically start at about 1h 14m 50s in this edited version- it was about 4h 3m in the full version, just after the Olympic Oaths):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ii-n_QSS0og#t=4490

Possibly so! I guess what you remember seeing is this, in the middle of the main pre-parade artistic segment:

but what NBC didn't show was the real dove segment, which is indeed rather kitschy (it should automatically start at about 1h 14m 50s in this edited version- it was about 4h 3m in the full version, just after the Olympic Oaths):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ii-n_QSS0og#t=4490

Never saw that portion before. Thanks 4 posting it, JMark. I was right; it was kitschy and so maudlin. Plus how revealing that it was only the die-hard Chinese commies who were actually doing the stunt. The others couldn't have cared less. I guess one didn't miss much with NBC deleting that portion. Also, 7 final flame-bearers was also a little too much; i.e., too drawn out. It should be no more than 3.

• Like 1

Never saw that portion before. Thanks 4 posting it, JMark. I was right; it was kitschy and so maudlin. Plus how revealing that it was only the die-hard Chinese commies who were actually doing the stunt. The others couldn't have cared less. I guess one didn't miss much with NBC deleting that portion. Also, 7 final flame-bearers was also a little too much; i.e., too drawn out. It should be no more than 3.

If this was North Korea all those refusing to do the stupid bird hand movements, or even those doing it lazily, would be sent to prison labor!

I think had there been better participation though, no matter how dorky a segment it was, it probably would have been included, if there was something less appealing for NBC to cut out though.

Ooh! I never bothered to keep count- exactly the same number of final flame-bearers as London, but (counting the final aerial run) taking eleven minutes from entrance to cauldron lighting, as opposed to five.

• 3 weeks later...

^^ Holy cow. Now that explains everything. There's also this video which I had on my old files (i saved it from 2006 or something) which contains a segment similar to the greek carriages in Moscow 1980

I should ask the user who uploaded the first vid if he happens to have the complete ceremony, that would be cool. Although that segment which depicted the Syria army fighting the israeli one was a big no-no. I thought they would avoid political references of that kind after Casablanca did a depiction of the Green March when they hosted the games in 1983

OK, ALMOST a Ceremony -- a botched one with disastrous consequences.

http://www.wimp.com/clevelandballoons/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=pp&utm_content=clevelandballoons&utm_campaign=winter/

http://www.cleveland.com/remembers/index.ssf/2011/08/balloonfest_1986_the_spectacle.html

I hope Boston isn't tempted.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Until now we've only seen the opening ceremony of Lillehammer '94 from a record of NRK (the norwegian main tv channel) but Jimm Magnet has just uploaded the ceremony as seen from CBS (back when they owned the broadcast rights). Of course expect lots of commercial breaks compared to the uninterrupted norwegian one but its still an interesting material

He's still uploading the rest so its not complete for the moment.

Since we're waiting on the CBS broadcast of Lillehammer 1994 Oprning Ceremony continuingly uploaded, I'd like to show you the just-done and brief 2015 AFC Asian Cup opening ceremony at Melbourne's AAMI Park that had hip hop, rock, and dance/techno (Mistress of Ceremonies, L-Fresh The Lion, Sheppard, Joelistics, and DJ Havana Brown all perfoming before Australia's Socceroos' 4-1 win over Kuwait that was very much a sea of green and gold. This is a letdown to me when I saw this. Could use more on the surf, sand, Aborigines, and soccer in this OC for this first ever Asian Cup down under (Go Socceroos! :) ).

You let them off lightly- it was more of a disaster than a let down!.... Even with a low budget, Australia should do better than this.

It should start with a simple and spiritual 'Welcome To Country' (not a musical one) and then a few songs with a good dancer/ lighting/ costume budget.

It is hard to pull off day ceremonies on the 'playing turf' but they seemed to try to deliver too much colour and movement for the limited effort.