Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

Meanwhile, the torch has arrived in Baku. The first torchbearer being...Aliyev himself.

How attention whore can he be.sm7-facepalm.gif

Aliyev is not just Baku 1st torchbearer but also the torchlighter when the torch relay starts...

Maybe he will be the cauldron lighter as well....

Aliyev is not just Baku 1st torchbearer but also the torchlighter when the torch relay starts...

Maybe he will be the cauldron lighter as well....

Irrespective of the grandstanding this was an exquisitely professional undertaking. Now Juxtapose with Toronto ( and I don't mean the magnificent Aztec Ceremony).

No doubt about the Athens and Beijing influences; Baku's OC artistic director is Dimitris Papaionnaou, who helped organize and is acclaimed for his direction with Athens.

Hey, guess what?! SpiritOf84 strikes again! He's now just given us hours ago the full live ABC broadcast of the 1984 Los Angeles Closing Ceremony when we previously had to make do with segments from it! Also this takes away the curiosity whether Lionel Ritchie's "All Night Long" with the breakdancers actually closed down the CC, as perhaps some people were thinking this. A choir singing Auld Lang Syne actually ended it after additional fireworks. Such a relaxed and fun atmosphere in LA with the heat having now disappeared. Nobody wanted to go home. We also get vignettes of how Yugoslavia fared in the Summer Olympics watching up to 3am through 160 hours on RTJ after its success earlier that year as winter hosts, Peter Jennings interviewing Juan Antonio Samaranch, the marathoners finishing off the field, the men's marathon and equestrian show jumping medal ceremonies (they entered on horseback to get the medals; the horses themselves, as Baron points out earlier, were very likely stand-ins for the actual competition ones due to being tested for drugs with not enough to get them over to the LA Memorial Coliseum and were not experience under the bright lights and crowds), and Donna de Verona interviewing 1972 Olympic marathon gold medalist Frank Shorter. Even the Moscow Olympic fanfare made a cameo here. Never has there been an exchange of gifts between the hosts nations' kids since. That should've carried on. Was that meant as a one-off? There was a level of loosey-goosey-ness of the athletes marching as one here than in subsequent ones when it got more organized, streamlined, and a little more tribal while still very much in the spirit of the oneness; they seem to enter by delegations since. Then you had the PA announcer Charles Corson sounding like a schoolteacher to please return to your classrooms at times. Indeed, it was an ending of an era when ABC stopped broadcasting the Summer Olympics with this, when it went largely commercial-free. But what a way for it go out on that. Mind you, we'd sure like to see perhaps a BBC/CBC/Network Ten/SVT/etc. version of both ceremonies when made available

The full Televisa presentation of Barcelona's closing ceremony from Mexico. Footage at the end tends to last longer by numerous minutes than the RTO world feed with scenes at Montjuic Stadium of athletes, coaches, trainers, and volunteers still celebrating, running around, and milling about interspersed with external some shots of Barcelona (Las Ramblas?)

Is there any full vid of the 1999 Rugby World Cup OC/CC? All I've seen of it is World In Union, Michael Ball & Max Boyce, was that all there was to them? I'm intrigued to see what Wales came up with when left to their own devices :)

I haven't seen one and Im guessing you have seen the one youtube clip that I've seen of it.

From memory

Opening Ceremony included the performance of world in Union with the infamous lip-syncing of Shirley Bassey, and the two vocal performances you mentioned. The central stage also transformed to be part of the RWC logo, using a huge ground cover (the stage became the stitching part of the logo), There were also a few dancers dressed as dragons and springboks to represent the handing over of the world cup from 95 to 99 and there was some kind of steel red dragon with breathed fire that was assembled.

Nothing compared to the opening events in Australia and New Zealand, but still a nice wee ceremony.

The closing ceremony featured two musical performances. Charlotte Church performed Just Wave Hello, and the Stereophonics did a set. There were a few dancers doing a routine to *right here right now* as well.

Here is the Stereophonics bit

And that's not all! We now finally get to more complete 1984, ABC's tape-delayed coverage of the 1984 Sarajevo Winter Olympic Ceremony hosted solely by Jim McKay from Zetra Stadium that was taken from KABC in LA, starting the 63 hours of coverage on a $91 million budget. That was the last time somebody was hosting the ceremonies by themselves on US TV. Of course, this was shown during the US prime time and does not have the actual Opening Ceremony start that we've seen in other clips on YouTube like from JRT. But it was also Samaranch's first Olympics as president with his first OC speech. Interspersed with the Opening Ceremony are those brief retrospectives of past Winter Olympics under the slogan "the Winter Olympic tradition continues". Preceeded by ABC's promo for it and the close of a special sports-themed 20/20 (man, I miss old school 20/20 with Hugh Downs). Never saw it in its entirety. All the more poignant and wistful given what was to tragically come less than a decade later...

Olga Viza and Matias Prats--they had to have did likewise for Barcelona four years later--were on hand to host Spain TVE's live coverage of the Seoul 1988 Olympic Opening Ceremony (shown on TVE 2). See shots of future King Felipe VI (then still Prince Felipe De Bourbon and four years away from carry Spain's flag at Barcelona's version) and his mother Queen Sofia to represent the royal family there. Does have its commercial breaks

About time they uploaded the Sarajevo ceremony. I've been waiting to watch it since a long time. Its still kind of sad when you remember what happened 10 years after the games.

Also, thanks for the rest of the videos as well! I hope someone uploads the Albertville and Lillehammer closings one of these days as well.

And that's not all! We now finally get to more complete 1984, ABC's tape-delayed coverage of the 1984 Sarajevo Winter Olympic Ceremony hosted solely by Jim McKay from Zetra Stadium that was taken from KABC in LA, starting the 63 hours of coverage on a $91 million budget. That was the last time somebody was hosting the ceremonies by themselves on US TV. Of course, this was shown during the US prime time and does not have the actual Opening Ceremony start that we've seen in other clips on YouTube like from JRT. But it was also Samaranch's first Olympics as president with his first OC speech. Interspersed with the Opening Ceremony are those brief retrospectives of past Winter Olympics under the slogan "the Winter Olympic tradition continues". Preceeded by ABC's promo for it and the close of a special sports-themed 20/20 (man, I miss old school 20/20 with Hugh Downs). Never saw it in its entirety. All the more poignant and wistful given what was to tragically come less than a decade later...

Oh. My. God.

Finally !!! I could watch one of the rarest Winter Olympic ceremony video (after Lake Placid lol).

Another great catch Durban. I remember this being the first time I got irritated because they cut out some countries and I just griped about it all day during school the next day. I was also floored that 49 countries were participating, that was a lot at the time. Always got a kick that USA in Serbo-Croatian is SAD, that definitely summed up our performance in Sarajevo (or at least ABC's expectations for our performance). Such a beautiful setting, and wonderful people who genuinely looked forward to welcoming the world. I have a co-worker who is from Bosnia and I always want to hear his memories of the Sarajevo Games, but I'm afraid those memories might be tinged with pain given the events that have transpired since.

Agreed, but the civil war does indeed leave behind legacies. Many tragic, others inspiring. Much permanent. Don't know the past you wouldn't guide the future. Apparently there's plenty of reconcilliation among those from the Yugoslavian republics, each while living as independent nations. SAD stands for Sjedinjene Američke Države in Serbo-Croatian (States America United), and I can see why that signage presaged what befell the 1984 US Winter Olympic Team, at least with ABC's. Can illicit chuckles. There was no Miracle On Ice repeat this time in Sarajevo finishing in 7th place with some notable future NHL names when the Soviets meanwhile regained their dominance. But there were some successes like Bill Johnson and the Mahre brothers, and of course Scott Hamilton. There were those who could've placed higher like Rosalyn Sumners and Tiffany Chen. Sarajevo was lovely and multicultural with everyone seemingly getting along, embracing the world with the Winter Olympics, which made what subsequently happened all the more sad. For several years, I used to live in a neighborhood with a housemate until the house got foreclosed that has a significant Bosnian population and Bosnian businesses like shops, nightclubs, a bakery, and a travel agency. I miss living there.

Pretty much of the former Yugoslavian Winter Olympic and international sports success has largely come from Slovenia (Ante Kopitar, Tina Maze, Katja Koren, Alenka Dovzan, Peter Prvec, Zan Kosir, Vesna Fabjan, Teja Gregoran) and Croatia (Janica and Ivica Kostelic). None yet for Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Kosovo (just starting in that case). There's also another person from the former Yugoslavia in the NHL like Slovenia's Kopitar--Croatia's Borna Rendulic from the Colorado Avalanche. In fact, the bulk of Yugoslavia's 1984 hockey team hailed from the Slovenian part. Wasn't the Yugoslavian winter sports headquarters localted in Ljubjuana (now in Slovenia), anyway until the bitter breakup since I think the bulk of the Yugoslavian Winter Olympic Teams hailed from Slovenia anyway?

Thank you for enjoying the latest video I brought up!