Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

While we were all talking about Sochi--and still are, YouTube got some uploads from the final day of ABC's last Summer Olympics broadcast. That means we got a more fuller LA 84 Closing Ceremony broadcast from that network at last and seemingly from anywhere instead of just notable clips like Lionel Ritchie, the Seoul presentation, and UFO like we've endure with for years. Now, I never seen this in full before until now and we should be glad. What's so interesting here is that the final medal ceremony is the equestrian one, the biggest audience the sport had even seen and greater exposure, horses and all with all three horses and their riders doing a victory lap around the LA Coliseum! (Insert the horse and poop jokes here.) And it was rather late by US/Canada time standards when it started. Nice timing given it's the 30th anniversary of those Games. Still hoping for the Opening Ceremony version. This is for you Todd (LA84), we still miss you.

PS: It's not quite complete. Some stuff are missing like from Part 6 overall, like so we don't get to see the fuller set of the athletes' marching as one...

Peter Ueberroth continues his closing address, then Samaranch's, Olympic flag lowered with the anthems, the flame extinguished with a great Kendar poet read by Richard Bassheart, and a flashlight trick. No doubt Los Angeles being the center of the sportsworld back then ushered in a brand new and prosperous turning-the-corner era for the Olympics. Gotta like those sad groans illicting chuckles from Jim McKay and Peter Jennings like you heard later in Calgary.

The fun continues with the UFO (of course, a nod to the alien/sci-fi movie and TV craze back then) and fireworks. No Lionel Ritchie though.

. What's so interesting here is that the final medal ceremony is the equestrian one, the biggest audience the sport had even seen and greater exposure, horses and all with all three horses and their riders doing a victory lap around the LA Coliseum! (Insert the horse and poop jokes here.) And it was rather late by US/Canada time standards when it started. Nice timing given it's the 30th anniversary of those Games. Still hoping for the Opening Ceremony version. This is for you Todd (LA84), we still miss you.

What's odd though, if memory serves me right is that those weren't the winning horses. The riders decided that their actual horses already had had enough exertion and excitement for the day, not to mention the blood testing; so they decided to leave the actual horses at the paddocks in Santa Anita; and 3 other alternate horses were trucked down to the Coliseum. So a little sleight of hand. Bet you didn't know that.

A one hour long documental of the 1987 Universiade celebrated in Zagreb (alongside the European Athletic Championships of 1990 the last big sport events Yugoslavia held before its sad dissolution) It includes excerpts of the opening and closing ceremonies, a bit more complete than the ones I posted in my account four years ago.

Its mascot, Zagi, is still very reverred and fondly remembered in Croatia, kinda like Vucko still is in Bosnia.

Clips of the opening ceremony of last summer's 2013 PRC National Games in Liaoning - middle of the page.

Those are supposedly "toned down" ceremonies at an austerity budget of only 58,000,000 GBP.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2408400/Chinas-National-Games-opening-ceremony-dazzles-crowds-58m-budget.html

What's odd though, if memory serves me right is that those weren't the winning horses. The riders decided that their actual horses already had had enough exertion and excitement for the day, not to mention the blood testing; so they decided to leave the actual horses at the paddocks in Santa Anita; and 3 other alternate horses were trucked down to the Coliseum. So a little sleight of hand. Bet you didn't know that.

Now that you mentioned that, Baron, it made far better sense to have the stand-in horses who are familiar to and for the riders at the LA Coliseum and are familiar to that enviroment for the medal ceremony prior to the Closing Ceremony instead of the actual winning ones there because of the blood testing and the potential atmospherical excitement and getting rambunctious at the CC so very close to the end of the equestrian events.

Don't worry, there's going to be a DVD of this forthcoming for sale in Russia. But will it incorporate the RTR commentary that we hear here from its sports editor and biathlon sportscaster Dmitry Guberniev and Russiya 1 morning news host Anna Cherbonovkski (sp?), Channel One's commentary, NTV+'s, or all three? Also, Guberniev later makes the mistake during the Parade of Nations of calling the Uzbek athletes for Tajiks (Guberniev later apologized for this, which I'll get to back with the media updates next week).

Going back to the Saturday post I made in reaction to the VGTRK/RTR broadcast of the Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony that was simulcasted on Rossiya 1, Rossiya 2, Sport, and Sport 1, I need to correct myself on the spelling of Dmitry Guberniev's Opening Ceremony co-host. It's actually Anastasia Chernobrovina, and she is a morning TV news reporter. Interestingly, we can only hear and never see Dmitry and Anastasia during the course of the Opening Ceremony. Maybe they were shown before the broadcast start when it was sent to them and not wanted to distract from what was to come. Channel 1's broadcast had Kirill Nabutov and Anatoly Maximov co-hosting while NTV + had their male-female co-hosts. Would like to see the broadcasts of those from both Channel 1 and NTV+, whenever possible. And yes, Russian Cyrillic was used in the Olympic graphics.

"We will you rock you--Absolutely!"--VGTRK/RTR sportscaster Dmitry Guberniev (in English) at the Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony during the VGTRK Sochi broadcast when Russia enters last at the Parade of Nations followed by shared chuckles with Anastasia Chernobrovina

When many of US Olympic TV viewers like me were watching the Opening Ceremony (I saw the latenight primetime encore presentation segment), we surely had the feeling some of the footage was going to be omitted from the NBC broadcast. A commercial-free broadcast is definitely out of the question as far as NBC is concerned, even when it's live and at least in a favorable time zone to the US. Did notice the oaths were excised from the broadcast. But it wasn't until I saw that Russian broadcast that I noticed the Sochi 2014 mascots' arrival and some of Thomas Bach's anti-discrimination speech wasn't present. This goes back to what Quaker2001 was referring to at the NBC 2014 Olympic thread about how it's all a result of research on how NBC determines what's worth keeping for broadcast and what's boring in the eyes of them and their viewer research (also claiming time constraints). Parade of Nations came on without much of complaint. But it did omit the artistic segment transitions like from the Medival Russia carnival/Building of St. Peter's Basilica to Imperial Russia and the War and Peace-inspired ballet to the Russian Revolution and the creation of the Soviet Union. Not to mention the torch relay montage short films. What NBC conducted later in their omissions on the Closing Ceremony was far worse IMO.

With the flame now lit by Tretiak and Rodnina and the fireworks going off at Fisht Olympic Stadium to mark the end of the Opening Ceremony, T.A.T.U. goes to have a brief live interview on Channel 1, I think Nabutov and Maximov, just outside the stadium all decked in their Bosco Sport Rusian Olympic Team Sochi 2014 tracksuits. The guy duo, who have known them for a while as friends, also have the Bosco Russia winter gear on. What gets said here in Russian is this from the YouTube comments: Lena first says they are cold here on the roof with their tracksuits on, and then they were asked how did they feel, and what of their emotions regarding the ceremony. Lena adds it's indescribable, and maybe a chance of a lifetime to take part in the Opening Ceremony. They were awed everytime they heard their song played throughout the ceremony. Yulia said she's still stunned by the sheer scale of the show, that it's great honor to be here and couldn't believe it and so on. Afterwards, they wished goodluck & many medals (hopefully many golds) to the Russian Olympians in Sochi. Then they talked of the ceremony's highlights including the train, moving cars, and noted the energy during the teams' parade which gave them goose bumps, especially when their mashed up song was played. Some have noted on Yulia's voice being completely different than before, sounding like she recently went through a binge of cigarettes and alcohol. That's because Yulia endured a series of throat sugeries to repair her vocal chords because of years of screaming her vocals both in performances and recording. Dont think she'll hit the high notes anymore.

And the uploader from the Sochi Opening Ceremony also conducted the same of VGTRK/RTR's broadcast of the Closing Ceremony. Note the Sport 1 logo. Dmitry Guberniev returns with a male co-host in this (again but never seen) with a montage looking back at Team Russia's overall great perfomance in Sochi (the men's hockey team on the hand...). A lot was butchered by NBC in its broadcast like the circus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cRnFKAg-Ug

Another thing I'm pondering: is the guy who did the Russian PA for Sochi the same one from Moscow 34 years ago? Sure sounds similar.

Another thing I'm pondering: is the guy who did the Russian PA for Sochi the same one from Moscow 34 years ago? Sure sounds similar.

I doubt that. It seems to me rather traditional in Russia to have male announcers with a strong bass voice, so I wasn't surprised at all that they had such kind of announcer for Sochi, just like in Moscow. But the two announcers are most certainly not the same person.

And now for something completely different - the Vancouver 2010 Paralympic OC!

Is it just me or does that video have no sound?

Why has Sydney's cauldron lighting on Youtube disappeared? Copyright infringements?

Possibly. The official Olympic channel now has (since last August) a series of "Olympic History" videos giving highlights of Sydney. Here's the torch relay/OC one, complete with highlights of the caudron lighting.

Possibly. The official Olympic channel now has (since last August) a series of "Olympic History" videos giving highlights of Sydney. Here's the torch relay/OC one, complete with highlights of the caudron lighting.

Oh yes, I've been watching that series. It's really great, though grossly centered on American stories.

I hope a full broadcast cut of the 2000 lighting is upload again soon. And I can't find a good one of Athens' anymore either. Shame not to have those two easily accessible.

Jimm Magnet just recently uploaded several recent past Opening Ceremonies from the US broadcasts on YouTube to commemorate Sochi during the month of February. Following are the few couple parts of NBC's broadcast of the Athens OC. First part does not have the complete NBC Athens intro narrated by James Earl Jones, but we can get that elsewhere on YouTube. So we shouldn't be worried. Part 2 was taken down due to copyright issues, he says. It had the Tom Brokaw news report on the immense security around and all over Athens during these Games, the countdown, the drummers' heartbeat, of the ancient spirits from Olympia, the soccer-loving Greek boy, waving the Greek flag, arriving atop on the paper-maiche boat and meeting with Dr. Jacques Rogge, Gianna Angeloupoulous-Daskalaki, and then-Greek President Konstantinos Stephanopoulous. No big deal having seen it already. Based on the the related content to link up to, he has them dating far back as Albertville. Maybe if he did a reverse, acknowledge the copyright holders, or not show the NBC logo, he probrably get away with it a bit more.

This part surely confirms what I was saying sometime ago regarding that Areti Ketime was playing her Greek folk song about the Aegean Sea in the background during the pre-show right when Bob Costas and Katie Couric just came on, when you listen closely. You'll soon notice that it was recorded from from Los Angeles' KNBC--and back to the pre-show when you notice real close at the Jumbotron at the upper right hand corner of the screen, the male pre-show co-host hitting repeatedly at the edge of the ground that ended the pre-show

Allegory already in progress to the Greek timeline history

Oh yes, the Greek national anthem was omitted from the broadcast too upon the meeting.

I actually mean taken down as part of Part 2 too.

NBC's Athens OC coverage will return very soon. But I need to take notice of what a South Korean YouTube poster named Lee Junewoo has done with the Seoul 1988 Opening Ceremony. Starts instead of the colorful boats along the Han River but with the drums, so it passed President Roh Tae-Woo and wife's entry. When a nation enters, this broadcast uses the official English graphics and then briefly with each nation dual screens (usually a shot of the fans in the Olympic Stadium) with a map of the nations on the inset with the Korean graphics of the team breakdown. The Korean narrator sounds to me like he's talking after the fact and not live as it progresses. This broadcast has got to be not from KBS (which we have seen here) but from either SBS or MBC. In 3 parts.

Just did a little digging up about the host South Korean TV broadcasters for the Opening Ceremony a few days ago. And it seems as though it's a MBC broadcast, unlike there is with the full, nonstop version for the Seoul 1988 OC as mentioned on its video it came from KBS. With its immense coverage of the South Korean host Seoul 1988 coverage, surely it aired both ceremonies. Apparently KBS changed (or enhanced) the Opening Ceremony presentation even if KBS 1 or KBS 2 offered an encore presentation. KBS aired roughly almost a combined 454 hours among KBS 1, KBS 2, and KBS 3 (with MBC doing some events as a junior partner, still figuring out the hours). KBS also teamed up with SORTO as the host broadcasters to transmit clean, neutral visual footage of the Seoul 1988 Summer Olympics to nations who either sent a small staff or can't afford to pay its own staff to send to Seoul but want Olympic coverage. Also notice in part 3, KBS interviewed various Olympic athletes at the Olympic Village cutting away to that during the seemingly tedious athletes' marchout, seemingly the only truly monotonous time in it. And now the conclusion of this said broadcast--part 3. It's all part of the Seoul organizers wanting to conduct things expeditiously and orderly. Even has the old KBS Seoul 1988 Olympic TV intro at the end. Like to see how CBC Sports did this.

Back to NBC's Athens OC broadcast. The Clypsedra conclusion and the Parade of Nations starting with Greek weightlifting icon Pyrros Dimas carrying the Greek flag headlines Part 4. When Dimas marched, it seems like audio NBC captured at this moment was sounding like it was a studio sound stage instead of capturing the all-over sounds from a large Olympic Stadium. Were NBC's cameras and mikes recording them from the stadium's bowels below the track? You'll also notice whenever there's a commercial break during the broadcast, he flips through various LA channels even to TBS and the HSN.

The second sentence should be "And it seems to though it's a KBS broadcast..."

For those who were wondering about the Sochi 2014 pre-show concert, it was co-hosted by Channel 1 late night talk show host Ivan Urgent and former MTV Russia personality now Star Academy (also on Channel 1 there) host Yana Churikova.

Anna Netrebko live interview with Channel 1's Andrey Malakhov over two hours before going to the Fisht Olympic Stadium and perform the Olympic Hymn (OC countdown timer's there). There's also an Olympic-themed studio for Channel 1's Vremya right nearby in Sochi during the Games with a patriotic and eager audience. Netrebko says to him: "Singing in the Olympic Games is a great honour and responsibility, and I am very proud to do it. I will sing live, so I am very much scared, but I can't wait for the Ceremony to begin. I can't recognise Sochi, everything has changed so much here, it's so beautiful, everyone is happy and smiling, and determined to win."

Here's a nice blast from the past: we're getting more and more Los Angeles 1984 ceremonies footage; it's just so great to see them at the 30th anniversary mark for in my case, I never got to see them in full for the first time. You know it's a different era when the late, great Jim McKay leisurely discussing the people in an endless stream of ABC Olympics credits (and commentating on the scene on the ground), obscuring the footage going on the Closing Ceremony after Lionel Ritchie and breakdancers performed instead of what we get from NBC these days with half the screen devoted to the credits with the other half a restrospective montage. Back when ABC had the rights to "Bugler's Dream". Nobody, not the athletes, the ceremony performers, the flagbearers, the placard holders, coaches, and trainers wanted to go home, for they all had an incredible time in Los Angeles! All happily mugging for cameras, dancing, milling about, chatting, having fun with their respective flags, and what have you mixed with many nations. Ah, just hearing the disco music ("If My Friends Could See Me Now"), Chariots of Fire, and musical show tunes. Also, PA announcer Chuck Corson repeatingly telling the choir "to get off the stage" for safety reasons. Even having the music cut off to get their attention. Made wish I was there. But it wasn't really over: ABC still a Los Angeles retrospective review show to air the following Monday night and the ABC Calgary 1988 logo too, to remind people of another Olympics it was planning to cover.