FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

I would have been one of those US fans enjoying a summer afternoon watching a sporting event while drinking a tasty adult beverage.

I had a blast watching the World Cup, and cheering for the USMNT. But do I really care? Am I passionate? Nah. We lost to Belgium. Oh we'll. Bummer. You know all those shots of Brazilians and Argentines crying when their team lost? None of that in the US of A.

As for naming the players, after watching all four games I've got

1. Tim Howard

2. Clint Dempsy

3. Not Landon Donavan

4. That German Guy

5. The other really good German Guy.

6. The guy who got injured.

7. Somebody called "Jonesy" ho may be one of the German Guys, or maybe the guy who hit injured.

As an American soccer fan myself, I can say that Americans do care about soccer during the World Cup because USA vs Portugal ratings smashed ratings for Stanley Cup finals, NBA finals, and World Series. After the World Cup however, the ratings for soccer plummet. IMO US needs a talented set of club teams to be successful in the WC.

As an American soccer fan myself, I can say that Americans do care about soccer during the World Cup because USA vs Portugal ratings smashed ratings for Stanley Cup finals, NBA finals, and World Series. After the World Cup however, the ratings for soccer plummet. IMO US needs a talented set of club teams to be successful in the WC.

I really don't think so. Britain has the best league in the world and it doesn't seem to help them much in the World Cup. The key concern should be developing our players rather than importing more stars from abroad into MLS.

I really don't think so. Britain has the best league in the world and it doesn't seem to help them much in the World Cup. The key concern should be developing our players rather than importing more stars from abroad into MLS.

I think a way could make more American players talented is to import some players from other countries because they are very talented which can make the American players more talented.

I think a way could make more American players talented is to import some players from other countries because they are very talented which can make the American players more talented.

It certainly hasn't helped the English. Having a strong domestic league that has a good quality development component is the key to success. Unless you are the Dutch, and just being able to develop the talent and than send it abroad works.

FA Chairman Greg Dyke, giving evidence to a Parliamentary Select Committee, has today said England will not bid for any FIFA tournaments while Sepp Blatter is FIFA President.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/22/greg-dyke-rules-out-england-bid-world-cup

Some more quotes here....

https://twitter.com/richard_conway

• Fifa "see us as the enemy... Certainly the British media as the enemy. And there's nothing we can do about that."
  • Dyke at pains to draw distinction between Fifa exec employees (who he praises) and Fifa's executive committee (calls for wholesale reform).
  • Dyke: "we can say [Fifa] is not fit for purpose but not walk out" of the organisation. Rules out FA leaving Fifa.
  • FA chairman says they will concentrate on trying to host Uefa tournaments while Sepp Blatter is in office.
  • Dyke clarifies his view on Qatar 2022 definitely not taking place in summer: "this is fact... will not be held in the summer of 2022"
  • Greg Dyke on Fifa congress: "it reminded me more of something out of North Korea. It was the sense of "hail to the leader"

http://the11.ca/2014/07/16/montopoli-canada-has-no-plans-to-share-world-cup-2026-bid-with-another-nation/

Montopoli: Canada has no plans to share World Cup 2026 bid with another nation

– 07/16/2014
14419490386_97c99dcc20_m.jpg

Peter Montopoli

The General Secretary of the Canadian Soccer Association made it clear: When Canada bids for the World Cup, it won’t have a dance partner.

Peter Montopoli was in Edmonton Wednesday, speaking to the Chamber of Commerce about the coming U-20 Women’s World Cup and the Women’s World Cup in 2015. But the Canadian Soccer Association’s bid for the 2026 World Cup, which is expected to go to FIFA some time in 2016, also came up.

And, when he was asked about the possibility of submitting a shared bid, Montopoli said the answer is no.

“It’s a single bid. It’s Canada, at this moment. It’s Canada, the Canadian Soccer Association that will be bidding, and we will continue along that line. There really have been no discussions on joint bids, either Mexico or the United States. It’s not a position we’re taking. It is a straight bid from the Canadian Soccer Association.”

Montopoli said that getting the 2026 World Cup would complete a journey that began in Edmonton in 2002, when 45,000 fans attended the final of the then-named U-19 Women’s World Championship, a predecessor of the U-20 Women’s World Cup. FIFA officials were startled by the Canadian suppot for women’s youth soccer, and that final put Canada on the road to hosting the U-20 World Cup in 2007, then the U-20 Women’s World Cup this year and the Women’s World Cup in 2015.

“The path of where we are going, in terms of soccer in this country, started in 2002, we’re weaving it through 2015, but I don’t think it’s going to end in 2015. We hope that it goes to 2026. We are planning to put a bid in, we are waiting for the FIFA protocols and all their documents and requirements for a men’s World Cup. We are familiar with it, but, until FIFA lays down the process it’s hard for us to comment on what it looks like.

“But we would like to make a serious bid. We would like to think that FIFA is looking at CONCACAF, our region. If you look at the last number of FIFA World Cups, they have not been in CONCACAF, so is it time for it to come back to CONCACAF? We’d like to think so. And, if it comes back, we will be ready to be the major bidder for 2026.”

The fact that next year’s Women World Cup will feature games spanning the second-largest nation in the world, in five time zones, should ease fears about hosting a World Cup which will require visitors and teams to fly from city to city, rather than take trains or buses. As well, a lot will be learned from the 2018 World Cup, which will be held in the world’s largest country by landmass, Russia.

“We will learn that from Russia,” said Montopoli. “We will learn how they are planning that and FIFA will learn from that, as well. Interestingly, Germany, in 2011 (Women’s World Cup) had one time zone. They bused every team to every match. We are pretty well flying teams to every match. People just don’t see from an organizational perspective how expensive it is for us to be doing something like this as opposed to a European country that gets a competition and hosts it and run it. I don’t want to say it’s simple; it’s not simple. But the logistically it’s much easier when you are within a car ride, a couple of hours, of all these venues. We’re not. We’re four hours, four and a half hours, by air, to get from Ottawa to Edmonton. But we’re used to being faced with the impossible in Canada. We say we’re going to do it, and we’ll do it well.”

Edited by dave199

$800-900 million stadium pegged for Toronto in its bid for the NFL franchise as reported in feasibility study report. 3 locations listed: Downtown Toronto (Portlands), Downsview, and a location in MIssisauga. The earliest the NFL team can relocate to Toronto would be in 2023. If successful, the stadium would be built 3 years before a potential Canada FIFA World Cup. I'm interested in seeing the stadium designs from the firm. Hopefully they leak soon.

Bon Jovi group exploring Toronto NFL stadium sites: report
Bon Jovi-led prospective ownership group conducts feasibility study

The Associated Press Posted: Jul 24, 2014 4:06 PM ET Last Updated: Jul 24, 2014 4:35 PM ET

bon-jovi.jpg

Bon Jovi is part of an ownership group that has eyes on purchasing the Buffalo Bills. (Larry Busacca/Getty Images for Songwriters Hall Of Fame)

A Buffalo Bills prospective ownership group that includes rocker Jon Bon Jovi has conducted a feasibility study into buying the NFL franchise and building a stadium in Toronto, a person close to the situation said.

The study identified at least three potential stadium sites, two in Toronto, including one on the waterfront, and another in the suburb of Mississauga, the person told The Associated Press on Thursday. The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because Bon Jovi and his partners, Larry Tanenbaum and the Rogers family, have not publicly revealed details of their plans to purchase the team.

Andy Bergmann, responsible for overseeing the Bon Jovi group's stadium plans, confirmed Thursday in an email to the AP that his company has conducted stadium studies, "but nothing related to any specific site."

"We have undertaken engineering and design studies," wrote Bergmann, co-founder of Toronto-based Wessex Capital Partners, a growth equity investment firm that specializes in architecture, design and engineering services. "All of our work has been about a generic site and whether it was more rural or urban. We are aware of potential sites in the western NY and southern Ontario region, and are in fact meeting with two Buffalo area developers next week.

"No feasibility studies have been undertaken on any site to date."

Tanenbaum is chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which controls the NBA Raptors and NHL Maple Leafs. The Rogers family includes Edward Rogers, deputy chairman of Rogers Communications, the Toronto-based communications giant.

The Bills are being sold following the death of Hall of Fame owner Ralph Wilson in March.

Under terms of the team's lease with the state and county, the Bills — including Wilson's estate — are not allowed to negotiate with anyone, who to their knowledge, has an intention of relocating the team before the end of the 2022 season, when the lease ends.

The feasibility study was commissioned about 18 months ago and overseen by an investment bank, the person said, adding that one of the stadium construction costs was between $800 million and $900 million.

The Bon Jovi group has not said they would relocate the team, but Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz told the AP on Wednesday that he has no doubt the group's intentions are to move the Bills to Toronto.

"It is my personal opinion that any bid associated with the Toronto group has a long-term interest in moving the team to Toronto," Poloncarz said, while attending Bills training camp in suburban Rochester, New York.

The Bills most recently were valued by Forbes at $870 million. They are projected to be sold for at least $1 billion, partly because NFL teams rarely go on the market.

Feasibility studies

John Vrooman, a Vanderbilt professor who specializes in sports economics, said feasibility studies are standard practice among prospective ownership groups and there should be no immediate cause for alarm. He said such studies evaluate expected cash flows and best- and worst-case risk factors based on location.

Vrooman projected the Bills to be valued at between $950 million and $1 billion in western New York, and about $1.5 billion if they moved to Toronto and even more in Los Angeles.

The Toronto group is represented by Goldman Sachs, and is one of at least 10 groups to have submitted a nondisclosure agreement form to Morgan Stanley, the banking firm overseeing the Bills sale on behalf of Wilson's estate.

Among those also listed as returning their forms are Buffalo Sabres owners Terry and Kim Pegula and New York City real estate mogul Donald Trump.

The next step comes Tuesday.

That's when prospective bidders must submit to Morgan Stanley what's called "a first letter of indication," which includes their initial and non-binding bid to purchase the team, said a person familiar with the sale process. The person spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity because the sale process is private.

The person said the firm will review the bids and determine which prospective groups will be eligible to proceed to the next stage of bidding.

The list of remaining groups allowed to move forward is anticipated to be identified by the end of next week, the person said. Those groups will then be granted further access to the Bills financial date to better determine their bid.

It's possible that a prospective owner could be identified by as early as late August, and be presented to NFL owners for approval during league meetings in early October.

Edited by dave199
  • Like 1

There are multiple ownership groups interested in purchasing the Bills, so let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Especially since, as you noted, the team can't relocate until 2023 at the earliest, it's a little premature for any serious stadium design proposals. Now if the Bon Jovi group does get the franchise, then they can start more seriously looking into the stadium.

based on the success of the nfl, i feel like the nfl would want to outright expand the league instead of relocating another team.

They have 32 teams already. There is a 0% chance they will create an expansion team unless it is part of a new European division.

They have 32 teams already. There is a 0% chance they will create an expansion team unless it is part of a new European division.

This is the NFL we're talking about. I would not put it past them to add another 2 teams. I don't think they'll do it because it'll ruin the perfect symmetry the league has right now, but the chances of them adding an expansion team at some point is not 0%.

The nfl will not have an OCD breakdown if the symmetry of the league is broken. As long they make more money than they did before, they can live with uneven conferences or just one big conference. Further league expansion also makes sense given the talks of regular and post season expansion.

the only real reason I can see against expansion is the dissolution of the talent pool. However, thats already the nature of professional sports leagues with the best players ending up in the largest markets or the best teams or whoever offers the most money. If anything an expansion draft would help with parity in the league.

The nfl will not have an OCD breakdown if the symmetry of the league is broken. As long they make more money than they did before, they can live with uneven conferences or just one big conference. Further league expansion also makes sense given the talks of regular and post season expansion.

the only real reason I can see against expansion is the dissolution of the talent pool. However, thats already the nature of professional sports leagues with the best players ending up in the largest markets or the best teams or whoever offers the most money. If anything an expansion draft would help with parity in the league.

Easy. That could be taken the wrong way. I have OCD.

I wouldn't support the idea of an expansion of the Fifa World Cup to 40 Teams. 32 Teams is a perfect layout, without the need of best 3rd placed Teams in Groups etc. Also, if Preparations are costing alot of Money with 32 Teams with 10-12 Stadiums, 40 Teams will be even more expensive, maybe 14 Stadiums needed. The 32 Continent Allocations should be:

Host Nation - 1 OR 2.

Europe - 13.

Africa - 4.

Asia - 4.

North America, Central America and Caribbean - 4.

Oceania - 1 OR 2 (Depending on Number of Host Nations).

South America - 4.

I wouldn't support the idea of an expansion of the Fifa World Cup to 40 Teams. 32 Teams is a perfect layout, without the need of best 3rd placed Teams in Groups etc. Also, if Preparations are costing alot of Money with 32 Teams with 10-12 Stadiums, 40 Teams will be even more expensive, maybe 14 Stadiums needed. The 32 Continent Allocations should be:

Host Nation - 1 OR 2.

Europe - 13.

Africa - 4.

Asia - 4.

South America - 4.

Nonsense.

Maybe allow one permanent slot to Oceania but no more than that. The strength of the teams simply isn't there yet.

Having as many countries from South America as from Asia or North America doesn't make sense either.

Well if they fricking moved Australia out of Asia (whose idea was that anyway) you could give Ocenania a permanent spot.

Australia left Oceania for Asia becuase Asia ha more slots open for the WC so Australia would have a better chance in qualifying

It was Australia's idea to move Australia. That wasn't something forced upon them. They chose to do it. Aside from additional qualifying spots, they felt they'd face tougher competition playing as a part of AFC rather than OFC. FIFA was originally going to give Oceania a full spot, but they felt Australia would get it almost every time out. Considering they qualified for the WC in both 2010 and 2014, doesn't seem to be hurting them.

Host Nation - 1 OR 2.

Europe - 13.

Africa - 4.

Asia - 4.

South America - 4.

That's way too favored towards Europe. Although I do agree with you that Europe should have more than any other continent I believe:

Host: 1

Europe: 10

Asia: 4

North America: 5

South America: 7

Africa: 4

Oceania: 1