Vancouver's Medals Just Ugly?

I think they're quite nice. I've been impressed with nearly all the design work Vancouver has done for these Games. The only exception being the logo, which hasn't grown on me, and which looks even worse when set against the brilliant design the rest of these Olympics has treated us with.

Edited by RobH

Negative space was ambitious and daring. And it worked and the symbolize of it worked. the hole was meant to be over their heart to incorporate all the heart that went into winning that medal.

It also continued Torino's piazza motif. The negative space was the heart of the human body - like the piazza is to the town - like the Games are the gathering place of the world.

I heard that the medals for the different designs (allegoric logos) for the different sports - is there any website which shows these different designs?

One side of the medal is based on a large piece of aboriginal art. Each medal is different in that the medal design crops a small section of that art piece. Athletes are then given a copy of the full art piece to find their place in the art.

I think the best thing about this design is that they are all cut from the same piece of artwork so that each Olympic medallist is tied together to create a larger piece of work. A nice statement about the Games and the shared bond of the victors.

I think the best thing about this design is that they are all cut from the same piece of artwork so that each Olympic medallist is tied together to create a larger piece of work. A nice statement about the Games and the shared bond of the victors.

are the bronze, silver and gold medals cut out of one artwork or are the bronze medals cut out of one , the silver medals out of another one and the gold medals out of a third one?

One side of the medal is based on a large piece of aboriginal art. Each medal is different in that the medal design crops a small section of that art piece. Athletes are then given a copy of the full art piece to find their place in the art.

The three medals are also designed to be stacked one on top of the other and fit together that way.

I think they're quite nice. I've been impressed with nearly all the design work Vancouver has done for these Games. The only exception being the logo, which hasn't grown on me, and which looks even worse when set against the brilliant design the rest of these Olympics has treated us with.

I think I'm 100 per cent in agreement with you in all you aid there. Overall, Vancouver's one of my favourite games design-wise. The logo is about the only thing that doesn't fit in with the rest. It just jars with the cool greens and blues of the rest of the games.

There's one big sheet of gold, one big sheet of silver, and one big sheet of bronze and all the medals were cut from those sheets.

thanks ken for the clarification!!!

but then it is impossible what Onetimeonly had said...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

I think I'm 100 per cent in agreement with you in all you aid there. Overall, Vancouver's one of my favourite games design-wise. The logo is about the only thing that doesn't fit in with the rest. It just jars with the cool greens and blues of the rest of the games.

The logo’s colors don't work at all, so I like it best in monochrome. I think its good that its different enough from the Look to stand out, but at the same time it’s not a completely different aesthetic.

lol - it would work - if they do it like this

unbenanntzy.jpg

Genius, CTF! Motto? "In Russia, the Winter Olympics Watch YOU!"

can y'all imagien how 'sochi14.ru' will look on the ice rinks and banners, etc.? :blink: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

To be fair, Vancouer's Look would've been zzzzz if it they decided four years ago not to develop it into what it is now. Sochi hasn't got a Look yet. Hell, neither has London! All these two Games have got are logos (and in London's case pictograms as well), and I prefer both of their logos to Vancouvers.

Anyway, going way off topic, this is about the medals.

I always loved the Vancouver medals from the beggining, they really fit with the branding and theme of the games, and the curves are very well made. You dont need to make such complicated designs to make something look awesome.

My fave winter medal designs have to be this one, tied with Lillehammer and Albertville.