Why I Support A Beijing Boycott.

China has a vast population, and are starting to become a world power in sporting events. However, China relies completely on the western world to export their wares.... they might have the cheap labour, but without the world to buy the items they are selling, they are NOTHING. Perhaps that is the boycott that should be initiated?

China has always had problems with the Tibet situation. Also with the taipei situation. Now they have Hong Kong back....but things are quite different with the H.K issue. Hong Kong has been allowed to continue in the way they had before the UK's lease on the region ran out.

Talk about human rights....China is NOW figuring out that although they have a populous problem, they are now figuring out that there are not enough females around to maintain the population (in fact, the numbers are falling now) After all of the years of giving up female small children for adoption, you might think this would be a problem later

China claims to be a communist country....only one of about 5-6 that still exist (Cuba, North Korea, etc) at which point will they get it???

The problems with Tibet have been going on for quite some time. As I have posted already.... this has been an excellent opportunity for the revolutionaries in Tibet to make a stand. With the Olympics coming, the world is watching. China will have to change it's ways or reap the wrath of the free world!!!!

Perhaps go back to Sydney for the games? Or another country that has the facilities to host them..... China was a mistake from the start.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

China has a vast population, and are starting to become a world power in sporting events. However, China relies completely on the western world to export their wares.... they might have the cheap labour, but without the world to buy the items they are selling, they are NOTHING. Perhaps that is the boycott that should be initiated?

China has always had problems with the Tibet situation. Also with the taipei situation. Now they have Hong Kong back....but things are quite different with the H.K issue. Hong Kong has been allowed to continue in the way they had before the UK's lease on the region ran out.

Talk about human rights....China is NOW figuring out that although they have a populous problem, they are now figuring out that there are not enough females around to maintain the population (in fact, the numbers are falling now) After all of the years of giving up female small children for adoption, you might think this would be a problem later

China claims to be a communist country....only one of about 5-6 that still exist (Cuba, North Korea, etc) at which point will they get it???

The problems with Tibet have been going on for quite some time. As I have posted already.... this has been an excellent opportunity for the revolutionaries in Tibet to make a stand. With the Olympics coming, the world is watching. China will have to change it's ways or reap the wrath of the free world!!!!

Perhaps go back to Sydney for the games? Or another country that has the facilities to host them..... China was a mistake from the start.

Another opinionated one. please stop bla bla bla. Do you really know the things about China ?

but without the world to buy the items they are selling, they are NOTHING.

Ok ok ~ we are nothing ~ But how about your country ?

Whatever, the fact is in the world more and more people are buying our sell.

China is a country with a history of 5000 years. We don't need your bla bla bla teach.

I can sure understand the emotions the whole issue is raising, and if any athlete feels strongly enough that they can't in their conscience compete in Beijing or wish to make a statement or protest at the games, I'd support them 100 per cent.

But c'mon. What about the sponsors? What about all those companies that have geefully been signing up contracts and expecting, and still expect, to reap riches and exposure out of the Beijing Games? How many TOP partners, or NOC sponsors, or media partners, or advertisers, have made announcements that they are going to withdraw their support because of their concern about the ethics of partnering with the Chinese Dictatorship?

As long as not one single company is prepared to forego their share of the Beijing windfall, why should any athlete be expected to have to give up the central goal of their livelihood to assuage the guilty consciences of liberal spectators around the world?

I can sure understand the emotions the whole issue is raising, and if any athlete feels strongly enough that they can't in their conscience compete in Beijing or wish to make a statement or protest at the games, I'd support them 100 per cent.

But c'mon. What about the sponsors? What about all those companies that have geefully been signing up contracts and expecting, and still expect, to reap riches and exposure out of the Beijing Games? How many TOP partners, or NOC sponsors, or media partners, or advertisers, have made announcements that they are going to withdraw their support because of their concern about the ethics of partnering with the Chinese Dictatorship?

As long as not one single company is prepared to forego their share of the Beijing windfall, why should any athlete be expected to have to give up the central goal of their livelihood to assuage the guilty consciences of liberal spectators around the world?

Nobody should be forced, but it is time to realize that continued support for these games is a victory for the corrupt and brutal CCP.

The sponsors are a little different. Generally they are in a class of their own. Few companies rely on the Olympics to make or break their futures, unlike athletes, however companies have a choice and have just as much impact to make a change, if not greater. You can choose to take note of which companies ignore the regime they truly support.

The CCP is evil. Right now is the time for change in China, because as their power grows, so will their propaganda and education campaigns! The best thing we can do is stand side by side with anybody under their rule who choose to oppose their brutal reign!

They promised human rights improvements to get the games. To continue with the games is an insult to human rights and the Olympic ideals.

Nobody should be forced, but it is time to realize that continued support for these games is a victory for the corrupt and brutal CCP.

The sponsors are a little different. Generally they are in a class of their own. Few companies rely on the Olympics to make or break their futures, unlike athletes, however companies have a choice and have just as much impact to make a change, if not greater. You can choose to take note of which companies ignore the regime they truly support.

As I said, I respect anyone's personal decision.

But you seem to be putting moral pressure on athletes, who as you admit "rely on the Olympics to make or break their futures" to boycott the games, saying their continued support would be " a victory for the corrupt and brutal CCP", yet seem to let companies off the hook, saying they are "in a class of their own" even though "few companies rely on the Olympics to make or break their futures".

To me that's an amazing double standard. To me, a company that is participating in the games has more ethical blood on their hands than an athlete who is just trying to compete or make a living in the sport they love and have no say in whether the games are in Beijing, Belfast or Boston. I resent, that when it comes to talk of boycott, it is being asked of the athletes to make the sacrifice, yet we hear nothing of any campaigns to have the likes of Coca-Cola, Samsung, Omega, Panasonic or Visa to make a stand or a sacrifice of their own _ which as you say, would "have just as much impact to make a change, if not greater".

Again, I'd totally back any athlete's choice not to go, or to make a protest at the games. In fact, I'd be quite happy to see them do oether. But neither do I feel it is necessary to condemn an athlete who does choose to take part, or attempt to morally blackmail them to give up their dream.

This is not my post but it is what i think... from eomer, member of skyscrapercity:

There is an interresting article in "L'Equipe" of today.

Lot of intelectual people in the world call for a boycott of OG games.

Why should athletes, who work hard everyday since 3,5 years to prepare the race of their life, should not go to Beijing to protest against China's politic in Tibet, Darfur, North-Korea, South America and againts it's own population ?

We notice that nobody ask:

- To McDonalds: "stop selling Big Macs on Tien Amen Square"

- To Disney: "close your park in Hong-Kong"

- To Airbus and Boeing: "stop selling aircrafts to China"

- To Areva and Westinghouse: "no nuclear power plant in china"

- To Alston, Siemens, Bombardier, Thyssen..."no HSR and no Transrapid between Beijing and Shangaï"

- To western banks: "freeze Chinease account all aroud the world"

- To all consumers: "Don't buy anything made in China and stop eating in Chinease restaurants".

Why should athletes be the only ones to boycott China?

This is not my post but it is what i think... from eomer, member of skyscrapercity:

Why should athletes, who work hard everyday since 3,5 years to prepare the race of their life, should not go to Beijing to protest against China's politic in Tibet, Darfur, North-Korea, South America and againts it's own population ?

- To Alston, Siemens, Bombardier, Thyssen..."no HSR and no Transrapid between Beijing and Shangaï"

- To all consumers: "Don't buy anything made in China and stop eating in Chinease restaurants".

Hear, hear. It's pretty much my opinion as well.

I can't in all conscience expect or encourage any athlete to boycott an Olympic Games while there are western corprorations who are making no effort and facing no pressure to take any moral stand themselves.

All good points, except for that last one. Eating at a Chinese restaurant doesn't not support the Chinese government in any way. In most cases, you're supporting a locally owned business. Even more, said restaurants are either run by Taiwanese or people who have *left* China for your own country. If you were to boycott that listed above, you should by all means support these people and eat at their restaurant.

Kids kids, this is neither the time nor place to discuss politics. The OGs are meant to exist outside of political differences and I don't see how the exhaustingly ongoing Tibet kerfuffle is anything but ordinary. Thumbs down to you all. <_<

Kids kids, this is neither the time nor place to discuss politics. The OGs are meant to exist outside of political differences and I don't see how the exhaustingly ongoing Tibet kerfuffle is anything but ordinary. Thumbs down to you all. <_<

Stop being so patronising please. <_<

As I said in another post, if some people want to completely seperate sport from politics, fine. But please, instead of calling us "kids", ignore threads like this if you don't like them as other people do want to talk about the implications of giving the world's biggest sporting event to an undemocratic, brutal nation.

Who has asked for your opinion? Just as Rob said: If you don't like the mingling of sport and politics, refrain from such threads. But in fact, you just can't separate sport and politics. History is full of examples which have proven that something like "unpolitical sport" simply doesn't exist -- it's a plain illusion.

Western media concocted false reports Tibet

Western media always like to defame China. Biased coverage of China.

LiuTian, what did you make of the protesters at the lighting ceremony today?

Edited by Rob ♪

A relocation of the Games the Tibetans would not helfen.Wenn the associations would decide that athletes with a Tibetan flag into the stadium collect, so we could identify. Human rights are more important than any Olympic or Medaille.Unter the five Olympic mascot (next to the Tibet antelope Ying Ying) is also the fish Beibei.Das fits: Beibei, Beijing, the sports fans around the world have-hopefully-no fancy The Asia-1936

The first thing I would say is that I cannot foresee a mass boycott of the Beijing Olympics along the same lines as Moscow 1980 or Los Angeles 1984. While such a move would, I don't doubt, cause some embarrassment to the Beijing regime, I don't see it having any major political repercussions.

At the same time, however, I would not seek to criticise any athlete who feels that they cannot compete in Beijing because of their own moral conscience. It would take an awful lot for any athlete who has sacrificed so many years of their lives to give up the chance of competing at the Olympics, so I certainly would not criticise anyone who took that stance.

I think Rjmac has made the most pertinent point in this discussion so far - the way to bring about real change in China is to hit them in the pocket. Boycotting the Olympics and getting politicians to say a few warm words about human rights abuses won't wash. The problem is that everyone recognises China as the next massive market to break into that such a trading boycott will never happen, unfortunately.

And, in response to LiuXian, don't insult our intelligence. I will make up my own mind about what I'm seeing from Tibet and I expect the vast majority of people will do the same. Pedalling the party line doesn't wash here.

Seeing you asked….

China is a communist regime that does not allow the ability for the citizens to have the ability for freedom of speech, freedom to vote, and freedom to act.

They are suppressing the rights to the people of Tibet who want the ability to vote and have their own democratic society. If Tibet wants to break away from China so they can be a harmonious people without the FEAR of persecution, then they should have the right to democratic elections and a referendum of the people. Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro have all had this happen to them recently.

But CHINA says no, you are not allowed to break away from China, and with our full force of our military power we will crush you.

That my good friend, is a dictatorship, and you will never win any argument with any sane and educated individual while the brainwashing, propaganda and cultist nature of the Communist Party of China continues.

And for our Chinese friends I am sorry to say but it is now too late - you only have your Government to blame...

The Beijing 2008 Olympic Games will always have the issue of human rights and will forever be remembered not as a Great Olympic Games, but an Olympic Games about control and surpression (just like your broadcast which did not show the protester) and the INABILITY of your people to think for themselgves.

Well, you know my English is not very well, so I can't tell what I mean clearly. But I think you guys should come to China to see what the country really is. Then you'll realize your thougts about China are Ridiculous and Wrong.

Been to China 7 times in the last 24 months, and I move to China in four weeks in preparation for the Games.

So I am coming to you from an educated perspective - many people tell me their true opinon in Beijing - they are just very afraid to admit it and are hopeful that The Olympic Games will be used as a platform for the ability to be free.

Edited by NOC

I sincerely don't see the Tibetian subjects really parting away from China to from an independent state. Even the India exile Tibetian spiritual leader, Dalai Lama, made claim to that. If you look closely you will find out that China's inexperienced in handling such trouble. That is among the things which differentiate third world countries from the western ones . On the other hand, I think Chinese people need to learn and they are not doing that yet. The protest upon Olympic torch lit is a signe of more protest and trouble to come.

However, boycotting the games is never the best way to approach this human rights demand from the Tibet people by the world. Isolation of the games is going to sow a seed of hatred not peace and love nor understanding. We should know here China is a fragile democratic nation and has a lot to learn from the western nations.

For all those supporters for you think are good cause for Tibet, just curious if you have seen any of the footage showing the riotters(monks among them) in Tibet burning the streets, looting stores and beating up people? What would countries like US/ Germany/ London if the riot does happen in LA? London? Berlin?

I am not surprised if you have not seen them. I have lived in many parts of the world, and Western media won't show these kinds of footage that go against their hidden propaganda with hypocrisy. They would go staight to the army tank image. Interestingly i read both the headlines of both media from Western countries and China, and Western media keep saying the how many people have been dead in the riot, and they consistently are silent, intentionally or unintentionally, that those people were killed in the looting and fire caused by the very righteous protestors. Yes, China has tight control on media, but face the hypocrisy, Western media is not far from behind. It's just a different sort of manipulation on people, but they do it more intelligently and subtlely.

Sometimes, hearing all these comments in the forum here and there, while I have full sympathy on Chinese people for not having full freedom of speech and all that, I also have a lot of sympathy on those people who think they are outcrying for good cause, which I have no doubt they do it wholeheartedly and I have a lot of respect for them, but really they are being manipulated by the so-called free press just as much.

And why would tibet matter so much now, and in particular in US? I wonder if it would matters as much is it happens in the Africa or some minute areas of the world? U think the western govt's concerns are truly out of their heart on the people? History tells us time after time after time that political bargaining power has been all behind the slogan of human rights, and after US achieved what it wants to achieve, who cares about the people left behind, really. Again, I am not against your thoughts and beliefs, I just have empathy on those people who do/ beliefs for good cause, but probably do not know the underlying context.

For all those supporters for you think are good cause for Tibet, just curious if you have seen any of the footage showing the riotters(monks among them) in Tibet burning the streets, looting stores and beating up people? What would countries like US/ Germany/ London if the riot does happen in LA? London? Berlin?

I am not surprised if you have not seen them. I have lived in many parts of the world, and Western media won't show these kinds of footage that go against their hidden propaganda with hypocrisy. They would go staight to the army tank image. Interestingly i read both the headlines of both media from Western countries and China, and Western media keep saying the how many people have been dead in the riot, and they consistently are silent, intentionally or unintentionally, that those people were killed in the looting and fire caused by the very righteous protestors. Yes, China has tight control on media, but face the hypocrisy, Western media is not far from behind. It's just a different sort of manipulation on people, but they do it more intelligently and subtlely.

Sometimes, hearing all these comments in the forum here and there, while I have full sympathy on Chinese people for not having full freedom of speech and all that, I also have a lot of sympathy on those people who think they are outcrying for good cause, which I have no doubt they do it wholeheartedly and I have a lot of respect for them, but really they are being manipulated by the so-called free press just as much.

And why would tibet matter so much now, and in particular in US? I wonder if it would matters as much is it happens in the Africa or some minute areas of the world? U think the western govt's concerns are truly out of their heart on the people? History tells us time after time after time that political bargaining power has been all behind the slogan of human rights, and after US achieved what it wants to achieve, who cares about the people left behind, really. Again, I am not against your thoughts and beliefs, I just have empathy on those people who do/ beliefs for good cause, but probably do not know the underlying context.

I haven't seen them, but I did hear about them, and yes, apparently they where quite horrid. But my question is "what drove them to that"? Bloody riots usually don't happen without reason.