Tokyo 2020 News - General

On 5/9/2021 at 8:56 AM, Ikarus360 said:

I don't think Japan will host the Olympics (neithe summer nor winter) anytime soon after this mess. Public opinion will remain very negative for many years ahead and I don't see any bid from Japan to host for at least a couple of decades to soar on. This whole thing reeks heavily on greed and desperation from organizations to get their share of money. I was hoping Tokyo 2020 could patch things up after a messy decade for Olympism but seems like it will be the opossite. And then there is Beijing 2022 right on the corner with a host threatening to "punish the world" if we don't go to their birthday party.

Atlanta 1996 and Salt Lake City 2002: Are we a joke to you?

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

These will be the QUIETEST Games on record!  Will they allow the vuvuzuelas? But Japan will be ready for the Deaflympics!!  

Welcome! | ICSD (deaflympics.com)

Speaking of the Deaflympics, the 2021 Summer Deaflympics had to be moved to 2022 because of major sportings events that was postponed from 2020 such as the Olympics and it is going to be in Brazil.

https://www.deaflympics.com/news/postponement-of-the-2021-summer-deaflympics

23 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Here's my thing.  Right now, there's no TV schedule, which makes it a little hard for me to plan my watching/sleep schedule.  I know when all the events are, but it doesn't get real until I see it in the TV listings.  Those TV listings are coming though.  We are way past the point of no return where barring an unthinkable catastrophe, the Games will go on.  There's zero reason to think otherwise.

That said, is it possible or maybe even probable that some events will get postponed or even cancelled?  Absolutely.  I don't expect the whole of these Olympics to go off without a hitch.  But you're like me and taking time off to follow the Olympics.  Unless you're so zoned in on a particular event or athlete, you have nothing at all to worry about.

With me and the Olympics, its always been athletics first, then everything else.  But I'm not honed in on anything or anyone in particular beyond that.  I do want to follow/watch as much softball and baseball as I can, both for the US-Japan rivalry and the Israeli baseball team.   But of course there are many storylines across many sports to follow, keeping up with all of them is an almost impossible task.

As to specific events being postponed or cancellled, I had not given that any thought till now, but of course you are right.  Until now, I had only really thought about the whole Games being cancelled, not anythng specific.

As for TV listings, my NBCSN listings have non-stop Olympics starting at 7AM Eastern on Monday July 19.  Even though the first event is not until 8PM on Tuesday July 20.   

I'm still a little optimistic about these Games, though a little concerned for the Japanese people after these Games as well as the athletes.

The JOC will probably end up dropping out the 2030 Winter Olympic bidding race probably cos of these Games and their mammoth-sized impact on the Japanese economy.

Just now, Shiruba98 said:

I'm still a little optimistic about these Games, though a little concerned for the Japanese people after these Games as well as the athletes.

The JOC will probably end up dropping out the 2030 Winter Olympic bidding race probably cos of these Games and their mammoth-sized impact on the Japanese economy.

Since I can't edit posts, which is dumb. I was gonna say, if Sapporo drops out, it'll be up to either Vancouver or the triple bid from Barcelona and the French-Andorran Pyrenees to fight for the right to host.

5 hours ago, WD96 said:

To compare the Atlanta Games to Tokyo and to even have them in the same article as Berlin 1936 is a huge insult to myself and the people of Atlanta and Georgia. Atlanta has more positives than negatives and was a more successful games than Athens, Beijing, Rio and now Tokyo.

They are still the games that have sold the most tickets of all time

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shiruba98 said:

Since I can't edit posts, which is dumb. I was gonna say, if Sapporo drops out, it'll be up to either Vancouver or the triple bid from Barcelona and the French-Andorran Pyrenees to fight for the right to host.

or Salt Lake City :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Palette86 said:

Breaking news.

Tokyo 2020ne will be held with no spectators all in Tokyo,Chiba,Saitama and Kanagawa.:(

Well, the inevitable is happening.
Wonder what this will mean for the ceremonies?

4 minutes ago, LinkParkFn said:

There are people getting sick and dying from this bastard virus and all y'all care about is ceremonies....unbelievable., yet not suprising for this site.

Well, what did you expect?
The Games are happening, it's too late to change anything.

2 hours ago, Olympian2005 said:

To compare the Atlanta Games to Tokyo and to even have them in the same article as Berlin 1936 is a huge insult to myself and the people of Atlanta and Georgia. Atlanta has more positives than negatives and was a more successful games than Athens, Beijing, Rio and now Tokyo.

They are still the games that have sold the most tickets of all time

I wished that I had edited the post.

So ticket holders are out of luck.  But they will still have the press, the officials, the referees, the judges, the FOP volunteers, to run the Games?  Or will the athletes also man the TV cameras now??  :blink:

And I thought I was going to be under-paid as a ticket counter?  :wacko:

What if they cancel the whole thing at the last minute??

7 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So ticket holders are out of luck.  But they will still have the press, the officials, the referees, the judges, the FOP volunteers, to run the Games?  Or will the athletes also man the TV cameras now??  :blink:

And I thought I was going to be under-paid as a ticket counter?  :wacko:

What if they cancel the whole thing at the last minute??

Baron you just beat me to the posting punch on this one.

My guess is there will be bare minimums on support personnel like judges and medical staff along with the media. 

The IOC will spin this as a one time out od their control wvent but when the financial losses become public, this whole thing is goinf to have ripple effects for future bidders and not in a positive way.

5 minutes ago, stryker said:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1109917/tokyo-2020-no-fans

It's official. No spectators will be permitted at the Tokyo Olympics. The state of emergency will be extended through the Olympics. All those shiny new venues have now gone to waste.

Why do I get the feeling the IOC will call it a day and cancel the Games?
Honestly, they should've cancelled it instead of delaying it, but they'll regret ever giving Japan the Games now it seems.