Lima to Bid to Host 130th IOC Session in 2017

GBModerator

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Lima Peru host the 2017 IOC Session and Congress and does an amazing job with the 2019 Pan American and Parapan American Games then they could be an serious city to host the 2028 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games. Lima is now waking up to be an Global city.

I hear they are the Alberta of South America.

If Lima Peru host the 2017 IOC Session and Congress and does an amazing job with the 2019 Pan American and Parapan American Games then they could be an serious city to host the 2028 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games. Lima is now waking up to be an Global city.

Clearly we need a bigger globe with all these emerging global cities. And sure, we've yet to have the first Olympics in South America, so might as well start planning for the 2nd one!

Yet you don't think an IOC session, a World Cup and a probable Commonwealth Games would be enough for Durban.

BETfVxZ.png

I wouldn't exactly brand Lima, Peru as Olympic material

2028 may not exactly be Peru's time?

Lima itself isn't bad, it's just the logistics of the Olympics and the geopolitics, etc...

GCL, please recheck you thought process as to how Lima has the capability to stage the 2024/28 Olympics, but Durban cannot?

BETfVxZ.png

I wouldn't exactly brand Lima, Peru as Olympic material

2028 may not exactly be Peru's time?

Lima itself isn't bad, it's just the logistics of the Olympics and the geopolitics, etc...

GCL, please recheck you thought process as to how Lima has the capability to stage the 2024/28 Olympics, but Durban cannot?

More like GCL, please recheck your thought process on everything.

It's nice see some "lovely" comments about Lima, but well, ignorance is all around the world. :rolleyes:

And I hope Lima wins the contest.

It's all around the world, but after spending some time on GBforums one is inclined to think there's a high concentration of it in the northern hemisphere.

It's nice see some "lovely" comments about Lima, but well, ignorance is all around the world. :rolleyes:

And I hope Lima wins the contest.

This is less about Lima, more about Gold Coast Lion's incessant fantasies that are completely out of touch with reality or ignoring basic facts like, uhm, South America is still preparing for its first Olympics, after 120 years of modern Games. They won't get another one just 12 years later.

For the session itself, I don't know who else is really bidding, but also here, in 2016 it will be in Rio - maybe the IOC would also not want to return immediately to South America?

It's good to see Lima putting itself on the map, but GCL's 2028 projections are meant to be ridiculed.

This is less about Lima, more about Gold Coast Lion's incessant fantasies that are completely out of touch with reality or ignoring basic facts like, uhm, South America is still preparing for its first Olympics, after 120 years of modern Games. They won't get another one just 12 years later.

For the session itself, I don't know who else is really bidding, but also here, in 2016 it will be in Rio - maybe the IOC would also not want to return immediately to South America?

It's good to see Lima putting itself on the map, but GCL's 2028 projections are meant to be ridiculed.

I don't mind the projections of GCL, because we have a lot of things to do. But i get upset about some phrases of any users about a city, but well, i can't do anything.

And for bid cities for IOC session, i heard some time ago that Kuala Lumpur and Helsinki were algo in the race, but information is hard to get about it.

I don't mind the projections of GCL, because we have a lot of things to do. But i get upset about some phrases of any users about a city, but well, i can't do anything.

Here's the thing some people here tend to forget..

[rant]The Olympics (the Summer version at least) are once every 4 years. That means in the entire 2000s, a grand total of only 25 cities will get to host, and that's only if no cities repeat. 6 of those host sites have already been awarded. That means if you were to put together a list of the 20 most prominent, Olympic-caliber cities you can think of (and obviously that list will change over time), that means at least 1 of them is looking at 2100 to get the Olympics at the earliest. Needless to say that's a long ways off.

It's not an insult against a city to say they're not going to host an Olympics anytime soon. There's a lot of big cities out there. Only 1 every 4 years can host. So even if we're talking about emerging cities like a Lima or a Perth, they're still competing with a big field of potential candidates. Those here who like to project out future Olympic hosts and/or list cities they think will host need to remember that there's a very finite number of cities that can host the Olympics in any given time period. So the more cities you offer up, even if they stand a chance of winning, only so many cities can actually get selected as Olympic hosts.[/rant]

It's all around the world, but after spending some time on GBforums one is inclined to think there's a high concentration of it in the northern hemisphere.

People are not laughing at the idea of Lima hosting the IOC Session, but rather GCL's assertion that Lima could host the 2028 Summer Games. If Buenos Aires doesn't consider it economically feasible to host the summer Olympics, why should anyone think Lima would be a suitable host city?

I don't mean to take the conversation away from the feasibility of Lima's ability to host the 2028 Games, but is there any other information about the selection of the host for the 130th Session? If I recall, isn't it also supposed to be the 14th Olympic Congress as well? If so I would think that Europe would stand a better chance at being awarded the session/congress, since Europe has hosted every other congress. Any thoughts on other cities that might bid? I think Brussels or Glasgow would make great hosts...

If Lima Peru does host the 2017 IOC session and congress and does an amazing job with the 2019 Pan American Games then it will stand an great chance in hosting the 2028 Summer Games if Europe is still weak by 2021 roles around then Lima Peru would be an great choice, Lima would have the knowledge off the Olympics Bidding progress and what it takes to host an big multi sporting event. Lima Peru outranks Baku Azerbaijan and Durban South Africa in global city statues and is the next most likely city in Latin America to host the Summer Games.

If Lima Peru does host the 2017 IOC session and congress and does an amazing job with the 2019 Pan American Games then it will stand an great chance in hosting the 2028 Summer Games if Europe is still weak by 2021 roles around then Lima Peru would be an great choice, Lima would have the knowledge off the Olympics Bidding progress and what it takes to host an big multi sporting event. Lima Peru outranks Baku Azerbaijan and Durban South Africa in global city statues and is the next most likely city in Latin America to host the Summer Games.

Honestly, Lima's not Olympic caliber and 2028 is way too soon. Especially if the US wins 2024.

Oh wait, I forget. North and South America are only one continent when it harms the interests of the United States. They are two separate continents when it helps South American interests.

Shouldn't Buenos Aires be more capable if you're going to base it off of the "Global City" Index? Buenos Aires meets the following of your criteria:

1. Hosted PanAms? Check.
  2. Hosted IOC Session. Check.
  3. On the Top 100 list of "Global" cities? Check.
  4. In Latin America? Check.

And even so, do you see a Buenos Aires Olympics happening?

Archived