Oslo 2022 Bid In Jeopardy

GBModerator

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And now the IOC can officially start worrying. Not the end of the world for Oslo not to be in the running, but to see another nation scared off by the potential costs (particularly when they're citing Sochi.. good job guys, way to ruin the Olympic movement for everyone else) is a big problem.

I'm laughing at the pompous IOC statement from November that they're happy to have twice as many bids for 2022 than they had for 2018, implying that it's no problem Munich and St Moritz didn't go forward...

I kind of hope now that the Kraków referendum fails as well, just to see how Bach and co will spin this disaster.

Sorry to point out a rival site, but there's a more substantial article here...

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/winter-olympics/2022/1019842-norwegian-progress-party-votes-against-oslo-2022-bid

This was a vote from the the minority party in government amongst members of the party itself. I don't know how much clout such a vote has but it sounds equivilient to the Lib Dem party conference voting against a motion and the Tory majority government ignoring it, which has happened hundreds of times I think! Oslo 2022 says they're confident of still getting the government guaruntees.

So what does the majority party in government think? That's surely more indicitive.

Also, statements like this annoy me....

"believing that the Oslo Olympics would cost under 50 billion kroner, ($8.5 billion, 6 billion Euros) is believing in Santa Claus, when the Sochi Olympics cost 50 billion".

That is pure politicking. Why not look at Vancouver, which is a more comparable model? Sochi is an easy stick to beat the Olympic movement with for those who want to, and it's a tactic which obviously works becuase most people will look no further than that, baulk at $50bn for the last Games and say "no thanks".

Not saying Oslo 2022 isn't in trouble as there's surely no smoke without fire and all the noises recently haven't been positive. But I'm not quite sure of the significance of this vote in reality.

Good bye Oslo Norway 2022 bid both minor parties which keep the major parties alive to run the country in Norway is now against the bid it will be foolish political suicide for them to support an bid when polls says an very high majority of people are against the bid, Looks like Krakow Poland will be voting down the bid as well later on this month. The Ukraine is in a civil war right now and the bid is on hold now.

This race is now a race between Almaty Kazakhstan and Beijing China which I said on many times will happen. Will they go for a low cost games with Almaty to keep Europe happy or go to Beijing again for anther high cost games which is only 700 km away from the 2018 host it is starting to look grim for the IOC now and the new Mayor of Paris she is against an bid for Paris in 2024 and the new Prime Minster of Italy is also against a bid for Rome t bid for 2024.

I think the IOC will be calling up Calgary Canada to bid for the 2026 Winter Games to restore faith in the Winter Olympics Movement and will get Los Angeles USA to host again in 2024 to really restore faith in the Summer Olympics Movement by the looks of things Rio de Janeiro Brazil 2016 and PyeongChang South Korea 2018 will be an messy games. It will be an long road to get support from Europe again but Europe is declining now with new bigger markets in Asia and Latin America, We will see lot more Asian Olympics and Paralympics Games in the future then European Games European influence is declining in the IOC like it is in the Roman Catholic Church when it comes to Italians. .

Sorry to point out a rival site, but there's a more substantial article here...

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/winter-olympics/2022/1019842-norwegian-progress-party-votes-against-oslo-2022-bid

This was a vote from the the minority party in government amongst members of the party itself. I don't know how much clout such a vote has but it sounds equivilient to the Lib Dem party conference voting against a motion and the Tory majority government ignoring it, which has happened hundreds of times I think! Oslo 2022 says they're confident of still getting the government guaruntees.

So what does the majority party in government think? That's surely more indicitive.

Also, statements like this annoy me....

"believing that the Oslo Olympics would cost under 50 billion kroner, ($8.5 billion, 6 billion Euros) is believing in Santa Claus, when the Sochi Olympics cost 50 billion".

That is pure politicking. Why not look at Vancouver, which is a more comparable model? Sochi is an easy stick to beat the Olympic movement with for those who want to, and it's a tactic which obviously works becuase most people will look no further than that, baulk at $50bn for the last Games and say "no thanks".

Not saying Oslo 2022 isn't in trouble as there's surely no smoke without fire and all the noises recently haven't been positive. But I'm not quite sure of the significance of this vote in reality.

IDK, the parties in the Norwegian govt are not that hugely different sizewise as Tory/LD, I think. Would the other party want to risk a govt break up over this, especially looking at the polls which are not favourable for the bid either?

Key words being "minority party." If Norway is anything like the US, this is actually very good news. But that won't stop me from singing a little Greg Kihn band.

Our bids in jeopardy. Oooooo-oô-oô-oooo

But it's the minor parties that keeps the governments in Norway in power they have an multi party system in Norway unlike the only 2 party system in the USA and Australia, The major parties in Norway needs the minor parties to remain in power in both the Right Wing and left Wing sides of politics.

Here's the Norwegian Parliament.

The dark blue through to the light green shows the current government.

The dark blue on this diagram is the Progress Party which has just voted not to support the bid. So a significent minority within this coalition...

556px-Mandatfordeling_stortingsvalget_20

Labour could still support the bid and get parliamentary approval. It is still not looking food. This is going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom if the grandiose ambitions of Almaty or Beijing get awarded the Games.

This is getting ridiculous really fast. I'm not saying I don't support a Almaty or Beijing bid, but if those become the only two choices, I really believe the IOC should open the process back up for a really brief period of time. Like so many people have said so many times, this is becoming a major problem for the IOC with these so called "referendums." If Munich, St Moritz, Oslo, Stockholm, and Krakow all fall because of lack of government or citizen support, the IOC has a major problem on its hands. I'm sure if they open the process back up, if and only if Krakow/Oslo back out, somebody that wasn't originally planning to join in will. Like I said, Almaty and Beijing aren't terrible choices, but they certainly reflect what has been a ridiculous scenario so far.

Almaty is weird in that it has most of the venues . . but it is lacking in basic tourism infrastructure like 2 and 3 star hotels. They are going to need to do a lot of non-venue construction. The language issue will be tough as well, since Kazakhstan doesn't have the army of foreign language speaking students China does.

It really does strike me as ridiculous to count the cost of the Olympics as a lump sum total. Spending on transportation and venues that were planned to be built anyway shouldn't count, and the hidden costs of shutting down businesses during the games should. Comparing Oslo to Sochi is crazy.

Rob is right in that it is not a done deal. Neither article says it is.

What this vote does do is continue the momentum of the opposition. There would have to be a surge of support for the bid to counteract this and that seems unlikely when only 39% of the population supports the bid, according to the most recent poll.

Government is contentious enough as it is without getting into a war over the Olympics. I think it's likely that the rest of Parliament will ride the current wave of opposition.

It's also worth noting that the pro-Olympic quotes in the Inside the Games article came from the bid's director of communication -- not other politicians who have a say in the government's support. The director of communication needs to sound positive until all hope is gone. In other words, she must "go down with the ship." I suspect that's what's happening here.

This is getting ridiculous really fast. I'm not saying I don't support a Almaty or Beijing bid, but if those become the only two choices, I really believe the IOC should open the process back up for a really brief period of time. Like so many people have said so many times, this is becoming a major problem for the IOC with these so called "referendums." If Munich, St Moritz, Oslo, Stockholm, and Krakow all fall because of lack of government or citizen support, the IOC has a major problem on its hands. I'm sure if they open the process back up, if and only if Krakow/Oslo back out, somebody that wasn't originally planning to join in will. Like I said, Almaty and Beijing aren't terrible choices, but they certainly reflect what has been a ridiculous scenario so far.

The IOC will not reopen the bid process unless they feel none of the candidates is capable if hosting, i.e. they would have to cut both Beijing and Almaty from the shortlist. That's not going to happen.

If both Krakow and Oslo withdraw, we will have 3 Olympics in a row in Asia.

The IOC will not reopen the bid process unless they feel none of the candidates is capable if hosting, i.e. they would have to cut both Beijing and Almaty from the shortlist. That's not going to happen.

If both Krakow and Oslo withdraw, we will have 3 Olympics in a row in Asia.

Endless Ukraine turns it's self around, then yes.

If krakow referendum goes well, then they will probably be the new frontrunner

Endless Ukraine turns it's self around, then yes.

If krakow referendum goes well, then they will probably be the new frontrunner

Public support for Krakow's bid is currently at 31%. The referendum takes place in three weeks. I do not believe that is enough time for them to pull off a 20-point swing.

Not to mention the *massive* problem the IOC would encounter with the Chinese if they told them (and the Kazakhs) "well all nice what you're doing, but you know, we'll just see if we can't get anyone else onto the boat after all". Talk about losing face and stuff...

There will definitely be no reopening. The IOC has to bite on its lips and pull through, it seems. Tough luck.

And for the record, Lviv is done. The country is falling apart. If the IOC short listed Lviv, they would lose all credibility. If Lviv won't go of their own accord, the IOC will have to show them out. Those are the only two options.

They should reopen the process, maybe Helsinki or Sarajevo will come forward like they originally did for 2022 then backed out.

If they did that though, who is going to step in? If those cities backed out from bidding for 2022, why would they jump back in now?

They should reopen the process, maybe Helsinki or Sarajevo will come forward like they originally did for 2022 then backed out.

Helsinki with mountains 1000 km away and Sarejevo with February riots, and awfull grades from 2010 bid process?

Seriously???

What Finnish government would support that, given what has just happened with Stockholm and may soon happen with Oslo, even more so given that they would probably again have to propose using alpine slopes in either Sweden or Norway. Reality check, please!!!

As for Sarajevo, it's a sentimental fave for many, I guess, but practicalities should also be considered. And Bosnia-Herzegovina in its current state (and format) is pretty much unable to host an Olympics soon, sadly.

They're not going to reopen this. End of story.

Have you not been reading? Look at my posts and at StefanMUC's. Politically it is impossible for the IOC to reopen bidding unless they have zero viable options.

Even then, I don't know that reopening bidding would be the answer unless they are certain there is an interested/capable party in which case they might as well just give them the Games.

Btw, Helsinki cannot host Winter Games for topographical reasons. They don't have the required vertical drop.

Rob is right in that it is not a done deal. Neither article says it is.

Though formally not a done deal, it pretty much is in reality. The Conservative Party will NEVER risk the stability of the government by leaning on the opposition to support a bid that already is highly unpopular. Only 35 % in favour in the last survey.

If the Conservative Party goes to the opposition for support, the government is history. And lets not forget that the Conservative Party also are divided on the topic. They have their national congress next weekend. We'll have to wait and see if the topic comes up then. Labour, the main opposition party, is currently pressing the Conservative Party to get a quick decision.

Archived