Repeat Summer Olympic Host Countries

Soaring

the city is adding a huge new transportation system and building a new international airport.

Do you have anything acknowledging this? Bcuz I can't find any information on it. The only thing that I came up with is that they're refurshing part of the airport, but nothing about a new one. And considering that they only have 7 gates & only services about just as many short non-stop fights to neighboring cities, yeah it's safe to say that the Baton Rouge airport is FAR, FAR from being able to handle Olympic air traffic.

Even if the air port was not large enough they have the NOLA one.

Seriously? An airport that's 80 miles from Baton Rouge is your solution? And even there you still have a lack of real international connections. This isn't a plan.

BR should try for the Pan-Ams.

Even the PanAm's are beyond them. BR makes Tulsa look like a major city.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have anything acknowledging this? Bcuz I can't find any information on it. The only thing that I came up with is that they're refurshing part of the airport, but nothing about a new one. And considering that they only have 7 gates & only services about just as many short non-stop fights to neighboring cities, yeah it's safe to say that the Baton Rouge airport is FAR, FAR from being able to handle Olympic air traffic.

Seriously? An airport that's 80 miles from Baton Rouge is your solution? And even there you still have a lack of real international connections. This isn't a plan.

Even the PanAm's are beyond them. BR makes Tulsa look like a major city.

Apparently a new air-port is being discussed along with the refurbishment. For the light rail and mag-lev those are all being heavily discussed among state officials and the design may come from this guy :http://avellone.wordpress.com/urbantransformation/ in fact in a street downsize I believed it was discussed even further: http://theadvocate.com/news/business/5561068-123/building-blocks

You said a NEW international airport was being built.......................NOT TRUE.
You said the city is adding a HUGE new transportation system......NOT TRUE.
You said 6 fortune 500 companies were based in BR......................NOT TRUE.

....it's not interesting when one realize someone is making stuff up that isn't true, and present it as facts. How do you expect anyone to take you seriously about anything if you are making stuff up, and going on and on about a city like br where half the downtown area seems to be open air parking lots? You’re right about one thing...they have a lot of open space.... parking space.

I really think this is a great idea!

And don't be sad, if Baton Rouge lose the bid to some La Paz, Bolivia or Asunción, Paraguay...

I thought as much considering it seems to be the domain of the likes of Rio and Toronto these days. But, hey, felt like throwing him a bone.

More than that, check 2019 bidders...

Just made a teste here at job, asked my colleagues in the room if they already heard the name of the city "Baton Rouge"...

Me: - Have you guys ever heard about the city of Baton Rouge?

First answer: "Is it in France?"

- No

"Canada?"

- No

"Never heard, what's the hell with Baton Rouge"

- Never mind.

I work in a big media company and this was asked to well educated and graduate people.

You said a NEW international airport was being built.......................NOT TRUE.

You said the city is adding a HUGE new transportation system......NOT TRUE.

You said 6 fortune 500 companies were based in BR......................NOT TRUE.

....it's not interesting when one realize someone is making stuff up that isn't true, and present it as facts. How do you expect anyone to take you seriously about anything if you are making stuff up, and going on and on about a city like br where half the downtown area seems to be open air parking lots? You’re right about one thing...they have a lot of open space.... parking space.

pic from BR wiki

BatonRougeAerial-Dec2012.jpg

Correction I said, "By 2015 Baton Rouge will have almost six fortune 500 company's and the city limits are expanding..." never did I say they had that many. The airport I believed was a part of the airport re-furb/expansion. As for the transportation it is something they have been talking about for years and is expected happen especially with the cities terrible bus system. Once again I'm suprised this carried on for this long and hope the we can end it with the following: I now understand that it will take 50+ years for the city to consider it, I also now think the city should try getting the superbowl, Pan American games, Youth Olympic games (2050's), and then the Olympics (2080's or 2090's). Sorry if I lead on to things that have proven to be un true and for creating a nine page discussion on a pipeline dream.

And don't be sad, if Baton Rouge lose the bid to some La Paz, Bolivia or Asunción, Paraguay...

More than that, check 2019 bidders...

Just made a teste here at job, asked my colleagues in the room if they already heard the name of the city "Baton Rouge"...

Me: - Have you guys ever heard about the city of Baton Rouge?

First answer: "Is it in France?"

- No

"Canada?"

- No

"Never heard, what's the hell with Baton Rouge"

- Never mind.

I work in a big media company and this was asked to well educated and graduate people.

IF the city bid why should they not get the Pan American Games? Just because some people in Brazil do not know what it is? Would those games not be a great way to introduce the city to the world? At least they kinda got the French part right, it was settled by France and the name comes from a totem pole that was covered in animal blood that the settlers saw when they were going down the river and the named it Baton Rouge.

Out of curiosity, what's "almost six"? I can understand using that phrase with bigger numbers, such as "nearly 100," but why not simply say 3, 4 or 5? It's a simple number. Just report it accurately.

Because while there will be exactly four (as far as I know) six is expected by the township.

Out of curiosity, what's "almost six"? I can understand using that phrase with bigger numbers, such as "nearly 100," but why not simply say 3, 4 or 5? It's a simple number. Just report it accurately.

Perhaps it's along the same mindframe like where the USOC strangely says that they're talking to "a little more than ten cities" for 2024, whatever the frick that's suppose to mean. Why can't they simply say 10, 11 or 12? Like you said, it's a simple number, so why not just report it accurately.

Correction I said, "By 2015 Baton Rouge will have almost six fortune 500 company's and the city limits are expanding..." never did I say they had that many. The airport I believed was a part of the airport re-furb/expansion. As for the transportation it is something they have been talking about for years and is expected happen especially with the cities terrible bus system. Once again I'm suprised this carried on for this long and hope the we can end it with the following: I now understand that it will take 50+ years for the city to consider it, I also now think the city should try getting the superbowl, Pan American games, Youth Olympic games (2050's), and then the Olympics (2080's or 2090's). Sorry if I lead on to things that have proven to be un true and for creating a nine page discussion on a pipeline dream.

IF the city bid why should they not get the Pan American Games? Just because some people in Brazil do not know what it is? Would those games not be a great way to introduce the city to the world? At least they kinda got the French part right, it was settled by France and the name comes from a totem pole that was covered in animal blood that the settlers saw when they were going down the river and the named it Baton Rouge.

I get that you're advocating for your city here, but can you at least try to be realistic here? Even if Baton Rouge grew in terms of population and infrastructure, there's still always going to be dozens of cities ahead of them in the pecking order to host these big events before you get way way WAAAAAY down to Baton Rouge. This is beyond a pipeline dream, it's purely delusional. And yea I think it says something about international recognition that way.

And seriously.. the Super Bowl? That's utterly laughable. There's only 1 city in the state of Louisiana that's hosting the Super Bowl anytime in the near future and it's not Baton Rouge. That's the problem the city is always going to face.. they're in the shadow of a much larger and well-known city, so the question people would always ask is "why not New Orleans?" How about we talk about Baton Rouge hosting an ACTUAL major sporting event other than a handful of LSU football games before we talk about them having anything bigger.

I get that you're advocating for your city here, but can you at least try to be realistic here? Even if Baton Rouge grew in terms of population and infrastructure, there's still always going to be dozens of cities ahead of them in the pecking order to host these big events before you get way way WAAAAAY down to Baton Rouge. This is beyond a pipeline dream, it's purely delusional. And yea I think it says something about international recognition that way.

And seriously.. the Super Bowl? That's utterly laughable. There's only 1 city in the state of Louisiana that's hosting the Super Bowl anytime in the near future and it's not Baton Rouge. That's the problem the city is always going to face.. they're in the shadow of a much larger and well-known city, so the question people would always ask is "why not New Orleans?" How about we talk about Baton Rouge hosting an ACTUAL major sporting event other than a handful of LSU football games before we talk about them having anything bigger.

That's why I suggested the Superbowl or even the National Championships. I would like to see the city bid for Pan Am's but like you have said it's very unlikely. What you have said most of this time is that the city should not even try to get any events because there will always be bigger and better cities, well here's new for you: I could pick out ten cities that should host any major sport events before New York.

I want the city to try and put it's name out there, maybe then it will gain some notice. In fact this entire discussion has risen notice of the city to people from Brazil. I'm also not really sure why you keep saying that BR is WAAAY down there when according to Forbes, Louisiana ranks higher then Georgia and WAAAY above New York in terms of economic potential, prosperity, and growth. So in the coming years BR may be rising up. I believe the link to the article is somewhere in this discussion.

Nevermind, I'll save you some time: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonbruner/2012/06/15/americas-friendliest-places-for-starting-a-business/

That article is about places that are easier to start small businesses, not overall business potential or power. It lists California near the bottom; guess what...California is about the 9th biggest economy on the planet it's about tied with the entire country of Russia. Places like br have incentives that make it easier to start small businesses because they are trying to attract growth, that's a good thing but it's not like "Pam's Craft Kitchen" in some br suburb is going to be a TOP sponsor any century soon.

BR, the thing about how cities like Tulsa, Baton Rouge, Leipzig, Lille, even a Kazan, a Busan, a Baku (pretty much the Delta/omega ciites) are floated about as potential Olympic hosts is that...can your (generic...NOT meaning just your city of Baton Rouge) city really compete with the likes of a Paris, a London, Beijing, Tokyo, Moscow, LA, a Rio, a Rome, Sydney, Madrid, Istanbul, Mexico City .... fill in your alpha cities? Can it...without being laughed at??

Remember, the 110 or so people who will vote for the choice are titled heads, dignitaries,diplomats, accomplished, sophisticated people who are pretty much, urbane (i.e., coming from a major cultural cosmopolitan city) folks most likely be attracted to the BEST city that a country can offer. These are people who are accustomed to having the best, wanting to meet, be feted and greeted by the rulers of the would-be host country...and seeing that their product (the Games) are produced in the finest setting that MONEY can buy. Can you honestly tell yourself that the likes of Prince Albert, the Emir of this and that, Princess Nora, gold medalists...would really want to spend their time in some...nice but little-known hick town? I mean a mere state capital of one of (the poorer of just) 50 states??? Honolulu, Sacramento, Albany would probably have a better chance than Tulsa or Baton Rouge. But even Honolulu (a fairly centrally location), with all their hotel rooms and attractions, would barely make the USOC cut because it presently does NOT have all the facilites, etc. But that's another ball of wax.

The point is...you have to be a world capital to be taken seriously in the Summer Olympic Games sweepstakes. China and India have probably 2 dozen cities that can qualify on the population criterion alone. That doesn't make them viable potential Olympic hosts by any stretch of the imagination.

This is my hypothetical predix of host cities at the SOG:

2020: Tokyo - Japan

2024: Durban - South Africa

2028: Paris - France

2032: Chicago - USA
2036: Istanbul - Turkey

2040: Toronto - Canada

2044: Rome - Italy

2046: Shanghai - China

2052: Hamburg - Germany

2056: Brisbane - Australia

2060: Madrid - Spain

This is my hypothetical predix of host cities at the SOG:

2020: Tokyo - Japan

2024: Durban - South Africa

2028: Paris - France

2032: Chicago - USA

2036: Istanbul - Turkey

2040: Toronto - Canada

2044: Rome - Italy

2046: Shanghai - China

2052: Hamburg - Germany

2056: Brisbane - Australia

2060: Madrid - Spain

No Baton Ruge in your list

Let's stick to PanAms.

First, I do think the number of Brazilians who ever heard about Baton Rouge could fill a bus... And the number of LatinAmericans that could name something about lovely Baton Rouge could fill a Boeing... Maybe a 737...

This is a problem for PanAms.

How a unknown city will pitch against well known Latin capitals or some big and very famous Canadian metropolis?

That's the point. This kind of events are awarded to media interesting places like a famous city or some country capital.

Ask San Antonio for 2007...

And San Antonio is wayssss more known than Baton Rouge.

Brazilians know Louisiana was colonized by French and the name of the state is a tribute to King Louis from France...

Baton Rouge bidding, IMO, is like Natal, Brazil bidding for some PanAms... The beaches there are great, they will build a new modern airport, they are the capital of Rio Grande do Norte state, that is growing a lot in the last ten years... And like Baton Rouge, few know about this lovely city outside Brazil...

Still if Natal fight Baton Rouge, they can at least claim the will have hosted World Cup matches...

You guys know you are being trolled, don't you?

Look, I've had fun defending just about every possible bid. I honestly believe you could throw a games even in places like Tulsa. The IOC would never go for it, but it's in the universe of possibility (if just barely).

But Baton Rouge? It's a complete and utter dump. It's not just too small. It's not just lacking in infrastructure. It's poor, rundown, falling apart... there is absolutely no reason to ever go there unless you have to. I know... I have to go there from time to time.

The way you guys look down on Tusla? Well the people supporting a Tusla bid could look that far down on Baton Rouge. Zero chance this guy is serious.

That's why I suggested the Superbowl or even the National Championships. I would like to see the city bid for Pan Am's but like you have said it's very unlikely. What you have said most of this time is that the city should not even try to get any events because there will always be bigger and better cities, well here's new for you: I could pick out ten cities that should host any major sport events before New York.

I want the city to try and put it's name out there, maybe then it will gain some notice. In fact this entire discussion has risen notice of the city to people from Brazil. I'm also not really sure why you keep saying that BR is WAAAY down there when according to Forbes, Louisiana ranks higher then Georgia and WAAAY above New York in terms of economic potential, prosperity, and growth. So in the coming years BR may be rising up. I believe the link to the article is somewhere in this discussion.

Nevermind, I'll save you some time: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonbruner/2012/06/15/americas-friendliest-places-for-starting-a-business/

No.. me running the 100 meter dash in under 10 seconds is very unlikely. Baton Rouge hosting a Super Bowl is much less likely than that. And I have news for you... with the guy who is advocating for Baton Rouge to host an Olympics, no one here is going to take your opinion too seriously as to what 10 cities that should host major sport events before New York. Remind me again what city is hosting the next Super Bowl? This is in addition to the area hosting the United States' primary tennis major every year, a triple crown horse race, and 9 major league teams in the big 4 sports. But no, again.. please tell me all about Baton Rouge and their 0 major league teams and all of the big sporting events other than 7-8 LSU football games they have every year? (crickets)

Good for Baton Rouge that you want to put the city's name out there. Do you have any idea how many other cities out there that are larger than Baton Rouge would like to do the same? What makes them so special? What exactly are the "major attractions" in Baton Rouge that you speak of? And really.. you're going to talk about Louisiana over New York in terms of economic potential? Seriously? You want me to have a serious discussion with you on that basis?

BR, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

It's just absolutely amazing, to say the least, that anyone could even think, besides the complete fool Neil Mavis, of course, that Tulsa could handle a Games, but yet is the same one that seriosuly questions a Durban candidacy. Talk about beyond delusional.

Tulsa, if anything, is a notch above Baton Rouge. A notch above " a complete & utter dump". A notch or two above "it's poor, rundown & falling apart. Citizens there are always b!tching about public services being constantly cut. And Tulsa is really not that much bigger than Baton Rouge, either. Metro wise, Tulsa has about an extra 150,000 more than BR. Still TOO small for a 21st century SUMMER Olympics. How could anyone in their right mind "honestly believe" in Tulsa. Twilight zone, anyone! :wacko:

You guys know you are being trolled, don't you?

Look, I've had fun defending just about every possible bid. I honestly believe you could throw a games even in places like Tulsa. The IOC would never go for it, but it's in the universe of possibility (if just barely).

But Baton Rouge? It's a complete and utter dump. It's not just too small. It's not just lacking in infrastructure. It's poor, rundown, falling apart... there is absolutely no reason to ever go there unless you have to. I know... I have to go there from time to time.

The way you guys look down on Tusla? Well the people supporting a Tusla bid could look that far down on Baton Rouge. Zero chance this guy is serious.

If it's such a run-down dump why are so many businesses flocking there? Yes 1980's-2000's BR was a dump, but now the city is re-building itself. Sense you say you have been there before did you go to the new city square, did you drive down to the more economic areas? A few weeks back the Mayor expanded the limits of the DDD to help fix up those run-down areas. Those downtown neighborhoods are being returned to their original art-deco style. The new River- Park mixed use area is growing the downtown skyline, retail centers, residential centers, and entertainment venues. IBM (I know I refer to them a lot) will expand interest in the area. The city is home to the most well known schools in the state Catholic High School. While it may not be a World Capitol it is slowly rising from the ruble so to speak. I'm sick of this as much as you guys are. If you want to discuss this on another thread I think this one is clogged up enough with all my BR bs.

Haha! If were going down this road then I say Lake Charles. By 2015 Baton Rouge will have almost six fortune 500 company's and the city limits are expanding. Top that with the new oil fracking (which is centered in BR) and I think you have a good candidate. Will probably loose, but it's good publicity for any city.

Whether I'm ridiculed or not after living in the city for six years I think it can come up with a pleasing plan. The city is also not 'hick heavy' that's the towns and areas around New Orleans. Baton Rouge instead is starting to become the urban and financial hub of the state; give her twenty years the south's hub rivaling the terribly organized city of Atlanta.

No, it is not good publicity. It is a set up for ridicule.

There are plenty of wonderful smaller sized cities that are lovely to visit and live in...but they ain't gonna host the Olympics. Here in Canada, places like Victoria, BC and Halifax, NS are nice smaller cities. But they'll never host the Summer Games.

London. Rio. Sydney. Beijing. They are all global and iconic cities that are known the world over. And they are big with big infrastructure and big money. That's the type of city that hosts the Olympics. OK yeah, once they went Atlanta and another time they were hosted in places like Antwerp and Helsinki, but that was the past. The future is BIG!

Archived