Repeat Summer Olympic Host Countries

Soaring

With the list of "new horizons" for the Summer Olympic Games becoming smaller and smaller, we will soon be entering an age where it is going to be far more common and acceptable to have repeat host countries for the Summer Games. It will be sort of like how the Winter "repeaters" are today.

This will especially be true once Turkey and South Africa are awarded the Games. That would basically just leave countries like India, Indonesia, Argentina, Singapore and Malaysia as possible candidates for hosting in the 2040's or even well beyond that point.

Once these countries are satisfied, the pool of potential hosts will mostly be comprised of countries who have previously hosted, but with new cities "sprinkled" into the mix.

In what order do you think the repeaters will host again?

Here are my projections in hosting order based by continent:

Europe: France (Paris) -> Spain (Madrid) -> Italy (Rome) -> Germany (Berlin) -> Russia (Moscow or St. Petersburg) -> UK (London) -> Greece (Athens)???

North America: USA (LA, NYC, SF, Chicago) -> Canada (Toronto) -> Mexico (Mexico City or Monterrey)

Asia/Oceania: Japan (Tokyo) -> China (Shanghai) -> Australia (Melbourne or Brisbane) -> South Korea (Seoul)

South America: Brazil (São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro)

More detailed breakdown.....

EUROPE

France – Host: Paris 1900, Paris 1924

My Projection: Paris 2024 or 2028

Spain – Host: Barcelona 1992

My Projection: Madrid (2030’s), Barcelona (2080’s)

Italy – Host: Rome 1960

My Projection: Rome (2030’s-40’s)

Germany – Host: Berlin 1916, Berlin 1936, Munich 1972

Projection: Berlin (2040’s-2050’s)

Russia – Host: Moscow 1980

My Projection: Moscow or St. Petersburg (2050’s-60’s)

United Kingdom – Host: London 1904, London 1948, London 2012

My Projection: London (2060’s-70’s)

Greece – Host: Athens 1896, Athens 2004

My Projection: Not in the foreseeable future

Sweden – Host: Stockholm 1912

Belgium – Host: Antwerp 1920

Netherlands – Host: Amsterdam 1928

Finland – Host: Helsinki 1952

NORTH AMERICA

United States – Host: St. Louis 1904, Los Angeles 1932, Los Angeles 1984, Atlanta 1996

My Projection: Los Angeles, New York, Chicago or San Francisco (2030’s)

Canada – Host: Montreal 1976

My Projection: Toronto (2040’s-50’s)

Mexico – Host: Mexico City 1968

My Projection: Mexico City, Monterey (2070’s-80’s)

ASIA / OCEANIA

Japan – Host: Tokyo 1960

My Projection: Tokyo (2020’s)

China – Host: Beijing 2008

My Projection: Shanghai (2040’s-50’s)

Australia – Host: Melbourne 1952, Sydney 2000

My Projection: Melbourne or Brisbane (2050’s)

South Korea – Host: Seoul 1988

My Projection: Seoul (2060’s-70’s)

SOUTH AMERICA

Brazil – Host: Rio de Janeiro 2016

My Projection: São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro (2070’s-80’s)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you talking about with winter games repeat host cities? The last time that happened was 1980.

I am referring to repeat host "countries" not cities.

The U.S., Canada, France, Japan, Italy, Austria have all hosted the Winter Games multiple times. The only "new horizon" winter country that remains is China.

My point is that we will soon have an even more limited number of "new horizon" summer games countries to choose from, much like how it is for the Winter Games.

I can't see places like Indonesia, Malaysia & especially much smaller Singapore (as a country) hosting in the next 50 years. And I'd say Guadalajara before Monterey. Mexico's second largest city & much more picturesque.

I am referring to repeat host "countries" not cities.

The U.S., Canada, France, Japan, Italy, Austria have all hosted the Winter Games multiple times. The only "new horizon" winter country that remains is China.

My point is that we will soon have an even more limited number of "new horizon" summer games countries to choose from, much like how it is for the Winter Games.

I'd argue Kazakhstan is also a new horizon that will likely host in the next couple decades.

If I need to say a future potential "new horizonts" -Again, we still don't know if some chances will happen in next 20 years-, I could name:

Summer Games:

Lock

South Africa - Between 2024 and 2028

More Likely

Turkey - Maybe not in this 2020, but the potential is there

Possible

Chile - Maybe the Pan American Games will be the presentation card and right now, more likely than Argentina.

Thailand - The only Asian country -Outside of the trifeca China-Japan-Korea- which can pull off an Olympic Games

Winter Games:

Lock

China - It is written

Likely

Kazakhstan - The only potential candidate for a Winter Games

Dark Horse

A south Hemisphere candidate

So If need to predict -Blind prediction and related to Soaring list- the potential cities by repeating cities could be;

EUROPE: France --> Spain --> Italy --> Russia --> Germany --> UK

France - Paris

Germany - Berlin, Hamburg

Spain - Madrid

Italy - Rome

Russia - Moscow or St. Petersbourg

United Kingdom - London

NORTH AMERICA: United States --> Canada --> Mexico

United States - NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles

Canada - Toronto

Mexico - Guadalajara (After the results of the Pan American Games, Guadalajara is becoming Mexico's bid to a second olympics)

ASIA/OCEANIA: Japan (If selected for 2020) --> China --> Korea --> Australia

China - Shanghai

Korea - Seoul, Busan (The second city of the country with cultural background and political relevance)

Japan - Tokyo

Australia - Melbourne, Brisbane

SOUTH AMERICA:

Brazil - Sao Paulo

While I agree that Bangkok has future potential- I wouldn't say its the only place outside China/Japan/Korea... I think Kuala Lumpur has fantastic potential... India does too, however the disorganised culture there aside, India is one of few places in the world I get the sense that it genuinely doesn't care for hosting the Olympics.

Also- I'd agree with estimates that Australia may wait another 40 years. It wouldn't surprise me. It also stop short of ruling out Sydney. I think by then Sydney would have a credible claim to a second Olympics. Although I could see Melbourne being one of few 20th century hosts that could pull off a centennial games in 2056, by then it could very well be Australia's largest city again, by the way it's currently projected to grow.

Asia Forecast

Japan My Forecast 2020 Tokyo

South Korea next next host after Thailand host the 1st games Future Asian Olympics Summer Games I forecast Japan 2020 - Thailand 2030s or 2040 - South Korea 2040s - India 2060s - China.

Oceania

Australia Perth or Brisbane 2030s or 2040 - Australia Brisbane or Perth.

North America

Canada Toronto 2024 - USA LA, NYC or Miami 2032 - Dominican Republic 2040s 2050s - Canada - USA - Mexico.

South America

Brazil Sao Paulo or Rio de Janeiro

Europe

France Paris 2028 - Italy - Germany - Russia - Greece.

Dominican Republic a country whose GDP is roughly what Russia spent on Sochi. I dont think its possible.

Agree, also if for legtimate right Cuba must deserves a Summer Olympic Games before, but even with that is a longshot at best.

In my list I didn't include India and Argentina for these reasons:

India lacks of a proper Olympic history -Check the medals talley-, it doesn't seems too interested to make the Olympics, and the terrible organization in Delhi 2010 didn't make a lot of favors. Also the technical aspects is weak -Remember the Northern India blackout in 2012-.

Argentina has diplomatic problems with many countries, they lack of experience and the experience for the Copa America 2011 was telling. Also, if Colombia is above than Argentina in the report survey by the YOG it means a lot of the proper capacity.

Also, another points for Guadalajara - Monterrey is dry and hot (Especially between June and September) -In the middle of a desert- and Mexico City has the altitute.

• 2 weeks later...

EUROPE

Germany: Berlin (30's)

France: Paris (2024 or someday)

Italy: Rome (40's)

Spain: Madrid (30's-50's)

Russia: St. Petersburg (2050's)

Greece: Athens 2096 LOL

NORTH AMERICA

USA: who cares the city, they will host soon

Canada: Toronto (2028)

SOUTH AND CENTRAL AMERICA

Probablly sooner Brazil than Mexico, but dont see one of them till the 50's

ASIA

Japan: Tokyo (2020)

China: who cares the city they can even create one (40's)

OCEANIA

Australia: Melbourne or Brisbane (40's)

My prediction:

EUROPE

Turkey: Istanbul 2020

France: Paris 2032

Germany: Berlin 2036

Spain: Madrid 2040

England: Manchester 2048

Russia: 2052

Greece: Athens 2096

NORTH AMERICA

United States: Baton Rouge 2028

Canada: Toronto: 2044

Mexico: Mexico City?

United States: Chicago 2056

United States: Boston 2068

United States: Dallas 2080

Canada: Winnipeg 2060

AFRICA

Casablanca: 2024

Cape Town: 2064

ASIA

China: 2068, 2084

Japan:Tokyo 2088

Australia: 2072

SOUTH AMERICA

Brazil: Rio 2076

Argentina: Buenos Aries 2092

2rwaurq.png

Five outta six Games right in Europe, & three Summer Games in the U.S. within 24 years?! :blink: And Baton Rouge 2028?! A metro area that's smaller than even that of Tulsa's! :wacko: Does your name happen to be Neil Mavis the ll! What planet have you come from! :lol: And swap your African choices, especially if Istanbul wins 2020.

I think that over all the US will receive three to four games and Europe around the same if not a bit more. Also Baton Rouge is far more capable of handling a games then Tulsa; an hour away from New Orleans and with their new mag-lev system makes Baton Rouge a possible candidate city. It's growing and I could see an Olympics there.

Jeez, the IOC gets enough accusations of being Eurocentric already. There'd be revolution in the rank if they tried to palm off three Euro SOG hosts in a row.

I really did not see that. Maybe Madrid 2048?

I think that over all the US will receive three to four games and Europe around the same if not a bit more. Also Baton Rouge is far more capable of handling a games then Tulsa; an hour away from New Orleans and with their new mag-lev system makes Baton Rouge a possible candidate city. It's growing and I could see an Olympics there.

just stop it now with that BR crap, you will only hear over and over how foolish you are and what a joke that city would be to even think about bidding, people love to find examples of our blind sense of Olympic entitlement DO NOT FEED THAT BEAST, we don't need to hear about little hot humid horrendous hick heavy baton rouge!

FRIED DYED or LAID TO THE SIDE…….br will never host the Olympic games -_-

Also Baton Rouge is far more capable of handling a games then Tulsa; an hour away from New Orleans and with their new mag-lev system makes Baton Rouge a possible candidate city. It's growing and I could see an Olympics there.

Yeah, okay. Perhaps in 2128 then. Right after Tulsa 2124, that is! :lol:

As a fan of True Blood, I demand Shreveport gets the Games before BR (well, I'd prefer Bon Temps, but that might be a little too small)!

Haha! If were going down this road then I say Lake Charles. By 2015 Baton Rouge will have almost six fortune 500 company's and the city limits are expanding. Top that with the new oil fracking (which is centered in BR) and I think you have a good candidate. Will probably loose, but it's good publicity for any city.

just stop it now with that BR crap, you will only hear over and over how foolish you are and what a joke that city would be to even think about bidding, people love to find examples of our blind sense of Olympic entitlement DO NOT FEED THAT BEAST, we don't need to hear about little hot humid horrendous hick heavy baton rouge!

FRIED DYED or LAID TO THE SIDE…….br will never host the Olympic games -_-

Whether I'm ridiculed or not after living in the city for six years I think it can come up with a pleasing plan. The city is also not 'hick heavy' that's the towns and areas around New Orleans. Baton Rouge instead is starting to become the urban and financial hub of the state; give her twenty years the south's hub rivaling the terribly organized city of Atlanta.

ok sorry I was a little rude, i don't know nearly as much about this stuff as some of the guys around here, but baton rouge is just too small for starters. But if you have some great ideas and want to talk about them i don’t want to discourage you from having fun. This site should be a little bit about dreaming after all.

BatonRougeAerial-Dec2012.jpg

Archived