Baku 2015 European Games

wow - the venues look amazing, Galandar!!!

Yes, thank you! I am also happy that now it is known that at least 19 kinds of sports, including aquatics and athletics, will be represented in Baku many of which will be license tournaments for Olympics 2016 in Rio :)

Having athletics will make a big difference to the credibility of the games. I hope they will be succesful. I understand other cities have expressed interest in hosting future editions, does anyone have any ideas where?

London was rumored to be hosting 2015. Maybe them?

Yes, thank you! I am also happy that now it is known that at least 19 kinds of sports, including aquatics and athletics, will be represented in Baku many of which will be license tournaments for Olympics 2016 in Rio :)

Did i miss something ? Was thinking EAA has voted against the inclusion of its sport in the 1st European Games ????

Did i miss something ? Was thinking EAA has voted against the inclusion of its sport in the 1st European Games ????

European Athletics has contractual obligations until the end of 2015 including the European Team Championships in 2015 and will therefore not be signing up to the event. According to 'insidethegames', there is a possibility that the 2015 European Games will hold a 4 day invitational athletics event instead.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/summer/athletics/1014020-exclusive-european-games-proposing-own-athletics-event-if-governing-body-refuse-to-sign-up

In the longer term it's difficult to see how a major athletics event could be accommodated in the current 4 year cycle (the next European Games will be in 2019). Berlin is expected to be awarded the 2018 European Championships later this year and 2019 is an Athletics World Championships year. The only possibilities I can see for the 2019 European Games is for them to include the Athletics Team Championships or the Under 23 Championships.

True, athletics and boxing are not included to the list yet. According to Patrick Hickey EOC is still in discussions with those federations which they hope to finalize in the coming weeks. For more precise information please see the full text from EOC.

Rowing set for 2015 European Games after pressure on OswaldMay 3 - Rowing is set to be included in the inaugural European Games at Baku in 2015 despite Denis Oswald, President of the sport's governing body, FISA, having originally been opposed to the event.

Oswald, a senior International Olympic Committee (IOC) member, has contacted Patrick Hickey, President of the European Olympic Committees (EOC), seeking rowing's involvement following pressure on him from national federations who want to be part of the Games.

Two years ago Oswald, then President of the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations (ASOIF), wrote to Hickey claiming he "could not support any project to create a EOC Games in the foreseeable future".

But now rowing looks ready to join the 17 sports already announced, with athletics and boxing also set to join the programme, as long as a suitable venue can be built.

"FISA President Denis Oswald has had several calls from European National Federations and National Olympic Committees encouraging him to make contact with Patrick Hickey, President of the European Association of National Olympic Committees, about rowing's possible inclusion in the European Games, in the first edition or later," Matt Smith, executive director of FISA, told insidethegames.

"Despite the proposed dates for the Games [June 2015], right in the middle of the extremely important Olympic qualification period for rowing, Denis Oswald has indicated that the sport of rowing is ready to consider a proposal for inclusion."

Rowing's inclusion in the Games would help boost the quality of the event as it is one of Europe's strongest Olympic sports.

full article

http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/summer/rowing/1014043-exclusive-rowing-set-for-2015-european-games-after-pressure-on-oswald

I think the European games need to get athletics onboard -- either at Baku 2015 or the next incarnation. A multi-sport event without the athletics will just seem odd. Athletics, swimming, Gymnastics will help make these games seem bigger. I like the idea of a European games but worry that until all of the big sports are onboard, these will just seem a bit underwhelming.

• Like 1

Baku Olympic Stadium

Capacity: 68K

Construction management: Heerim (South Korea)

General contractor: Tekfen (Turkey)

Completion of works: March 2015

The final design of Baku Olympic Stadium:

29369f2c031e.jpg

At first, it seemed complete to have a 'warm-up' track as well. But if there are going to be NO Athletics, then why even bother holding the OC/CC in an Olympic stadium?? Seems kinda oxymoronic.

At first, it seemed complete to have a 'warm-up' track as well. But if there are going to be NO Athletics, then why even bother holding the OC/CC in an Olympic stadium?? Seems kinda oxymoronic.

I believe European athletics are contractually obliged to stage the European Team championships (athletics competition) until 2015 so wouldn't be able to include a European athletics sanctioned competition within Baku 2015 since they overlap in timeframe hosting (late July). However, I read Baku is going to apply for a grand prix visa or whatever you call it meaning they will stage a 4 day athletics competition It's not ideal but it at least gets some athletics on the schedule. They will post invites to athletes similar to how the diamond league athletics competition works.

So, I guess this means the stadium posted above will get used for the ceremonies and maybe some athletics of some description.

These Games feel bizarre. Since when is Central Asia in Europe? Granted, with oil, its going to be either these fringe "European" countries or Germany or the UK that would take on something like this.

Baku sure is eager to get its foot in the door!

Azerbaijan, Armenia and Georgia (as well as Turkey) straddle between Europe and Asia. But when it comes to sports, all are European. All four (along with Israel and Kazakhstan) are UEFA members and Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey and Israel are members of the EAA and compete at the European Championships.

• Like 1

These Games feel bizarre. Since when is Central Asia in Europe? Granted, with oil, its going to be either these fringe "European" countries or Germany or the UK that would take on something like this.

Baku sure is eager to get its foot in the door!

If Azerbaijan is Central Asia, then what do you call Western Asia, a part of Black Sea or Ukraine or whatsoever?

If Azerbaijan is Central Asia, then what do you call Western Asia, a part of Black Sea or Ukraine or whatsoever?

Well, Azerbaijan is Western Asia, my error.

My point stands, I get that there are many culturally European aspects to these countries... but are they Europe? I think that is a stretch, given that even Turkish continental identify is itself polarised.

But I accept that for sporting purposes the likes of Azerbaijan, Israel and others are considered "European".

Well, Azerbaijan is Western Asia, my error.

My point stands, I get that there are many culturally European aspects to these countries... but are they Europe? I think that is a stretch, given that even Turkish continental identify is itself polarised.

But I accept that for sporting purposes the likes of Azerbaijan, Israel and others are considered "European".

But what is Europe? Why is Europe a continent, when South Asia, a much bigger area isn't it.

Europe is easily defined anything West of the Urals & North of the Caucasus. So South Asia wouldn't be larger, since Europe is almost twice as large. The Ukraine is (Eastern) Europe, & Azerbaijan is (West) Asia.