• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG you queens need to get a grip! Heaven forbid that a lesser game copies something that the bigger games (the Olympics) actually does! For a non-Olympic OC this is incredible, and actually a far bet

I enjoyed that opening ceremony. Parts of it were a little bit hit and miss, but by and large was a unique production. I guess there were 2 key points out of it. Klepsydra 2.0. Now this production

Official website: http://www.baku2015.com/default.aspx Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/baku2015 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/baku2015official Twitter: https://twitter.com/BakuGames2015 70

Aquatics Center? So swimming is added to the program?

TOCA's design is better, Btw...

Yep, swimming, diving and water polo are added to the program :) Unfortunately I don't have any renders of the Aquatics Center, however you can see it n the following video at 3:46 ;)

Oooo those are great news!! For me games without swimming aren't games after all! I hope atheltics will join them... So the games will gain more media atention

Athletics will not be on the program.

I wonder how many top swimmers will compete in Baku if the event is July because it would be a conflict with Kazan 2015.

^ Most countries will send their B teams to Baku... if I was them I will make' em like qualifiers to Rio 2016... Anyways is good to see that, those competitions with B teams always puts pressure on A teams (I know that 'cuz of experience)

^ Most countries will send their B teams to Baku... if I was them I will make' em like qualifiers to Rio 2016... Anyways is good to see that, those competitions with B teams always puts pressure on A teams (I know that 'cuz of experience)

That will most likely be the case in some sports.

• 2 weeks later...

Baku 2015 launches design competition for European Games

February 18 - An international design competition has been launched by the organisers of the inaugural European Games, which is due to be held in Baku in 2015.

They are looking for designs for the logo, medals and torches that will form the look of the Games.

The competition is open to both professional and amateur designers and there is no age-limit.

But each designer can only enter five pieces of work and they must consist of a single theme, many of which are expected to feature the $350 million (£226 million/€262 million) 190 metre high Flame Towers (pictured top), a residential complex nearing completion in Baku and which will dominate the city's skyline.

The winner will receive a first prize of AZN 5,000 (£4,000/$6,500/€5,000), with the runner-up getting AZN 3,000 (£2,500/$4,000/€3,000) and the third placed AZN 2,000 (£1,500/$2,500/€2,000).

The competition was announced at the first meeting of the Organising Committee, chaired by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.

"Holding the European Games in Baku is a historic event for our country and the European Olympic Movement in general," said Mehriban Aliyeva, wife of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, who is heading the Organising Committee.

An application form to enter the design competition can be obtained by contacting office@baku2015.com.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/1012951-baku-2015-launches-design-competition-for-european-games

Has anyone else contacted them for an application form. I have and nothing has come through

Unfortunately I could not find the English version of the application form online yet there is the link for the Azerbaijani version of the application which can be also used: http://www.mys.gov.az/upload-files/erize-formasi-olimpiya.doc

Here is the translations for its content:

“I AVROPA OYUNLARI (Bakı - 2015)” mövzusunda gənc dizaynerlər arasında keçirilən loqotip müsabiqəsi iştirakçısının ƏRİZƏ FORMASI - Application form of a participant of the logo design competition for the "First European Games (Baku-2015)"

Soyadı - Surname

Adı - Firstname

Atasının adı - Patronomyc

Təvəllüdü - Date of birth

İşlədiyi yer - Current place of work

Loqotip ideyasının yazılı təsfiri - Written description of the logo idea

Əlaqə vasitələri (mobil, telefon və ya elektron poçt ünvanı) - Contact details (mobile, phone and (or) email)

Tarix - Date

Athletics will not be on the program.

No athletics? Then I won't be watching. ;)

Seriously, athletics are (for me, at least) the backbone of every major multi-sports event. But on the other hand, expecting the European Games becoming the "European championships for B athletes (mostly)", it's probably better if they don't include athletics as well. And who could blame EAA? Summer is already full of athletic events, so it would have been hard to squeeze the European Games in as well.

However, it's a shame that the European Games will share the fate of the Youth Olympic Games: They were introduced for symbolic reasons, but almost no one will really give a damn about them.

I suppose this is nothing official, as I doubt they will be authorized to use the olympic rings alone that way !

I suppose this is nothing official, as I doubt they will be authorized to use the olympic rings alone that way !

No, it is not official. I mean they compete as others and the winner has not been announced yet

It seems that olympic village for 2015 games will be located in a newly-built Royal Park residential complex with perspectives for expansion. The complex is located near Koroglu subway station and in a few minutes walking distance from Olympic Stadium and Gymnastics Arena

a63f3abd59.jpg

178d3c5467.jpg

56a68b3202.jpg

3fec287758.jpg

b6082b2184.jpg

8ed53cef63.jpg

Wrestling agrees to be included in European Games

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — Wrestling will be included in the inaugural European Games in Azerbaijan, another step in the sport’s bid to win back its place in the Olympics.

Nenad Lalovic, acting president of governing body FILA, signed a “letter of understanding” Tuesday with organizers of the 2015 Games in Baku.

“This is important to our sport and it will take place in one of the most passionate wrestling countries in the world,” Lalovic said.

Under former president Raphael Martinetti, FILA had indicated it would not take part in the European Games.

Lalovic took over as FILA’s interim president when Martinetti resigned last month after the IOC executive board dropped wrestling from the program of the 2020 Olympics.

Taking part in the European Games, especially in a country with a strong wrestling tradition, seems imperative for FILA as it seeks to regain its Olympic status. Wrestling is now competing against seven other sports for a single opening on the 2020 program.

The competition in Baku will include men’s and women’s freestyle and Greco-Roman events and will serve as a qualifying event for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

The European Games, which were approved by the European Olympic Committees in December, will have 18 sports on the program. Marquee sports such as athletics and swimming have not agreed to take part.

“Wrestling is among our most important national sports and we are sure that the wrestling competitions in Baku will be a major attraction at these games,” Azerbaijan Sports Minister Azad Rahimov said. “With the signing of a letter of intent with FILA, we are one step closer to the successful completion of our sports program for 2015.”

http://thegazette.com/2013/03/12/wrestling-agrees-to-be-included-in-european-games/

• 1 month later...
Date of 1st European Games 2015 in Azerbaijan and initial list of kinds of sports made public

The date of the 1st European Games 2015 in Azerbaijan and initial list of kinds of sports have been made public, Minister of Youth and Sport Azad Rahimov said at the press conference, apasport.az reports.

At the press conference on the outcomes of the first meeting of the Coordination Commission of European Olympic Committee “Baku-2015, European Games”, Minister said that the 1st European Games will be held on June 12-28. At least 6351 sportsmen on 19 kinds of sports will compete in the games. These are:

• archery (128 sportsmen)
  • water sports (swimming water polo, diving - 1000)
  • athletics (800)
  • badminton (160)
  • basketball (3x3, 160), box (300)
  • canoe (350)
  • cycling (BMX, mountain bike, road bike -350)
  • beach soccer (256)
  • gymnastics (modern rhythmic gymnastics, gymnastics, tumbling and acrobatics - 406)
  • judo (350)
  • karate (96)
  • shooting (trap and bullet -464)
  • table tennis (128)
  • taekwondo (128)
  • triathlon (125)
  • volleyball (beach and court -464)
  • wrestling (450)
  • fencing (350)

Chairman of the first European Games Coordination Commission Spyros Capralos said that this is not the final list.

Azad Rahimov said Azerbaijan’s national teams on most kinds of sports are being formed. He said only triathlon does not exist in Azerbaijan.

http://en.apa.az/news_date_of_1st_european_games_2015_in_azerb_192056.html