Europe is easily defined anything West of the Urals & North of the Caucasus. So South Asia wouldn't be larger, since Europe is almost twice as large. The Ukraine is (Eastern) Europe, & Azerbaijan is (West) Asia.

And yet, Azerbaijan (as well as Georgia, Armenia, Israel and Turkey) is considered as Europe in sports. Plus, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia and Turkey have varying degrees of interest in joining the EU.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG you queens need to get a grip! Heaven forbid that a lesser game copies something that the bigger games (the Olympics) actually does! For a non-Olympic OC this is incredible, and actually a far bet

I enjoyed that opening ceremony. Parts of it were a little bit hit and miss, but by and large was a unique production. I guess there were 2 key points out of it. Klepsydra 2.0. Now this production

Official website: http://www.baku2015.com/default.aspx Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/baku2015 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/baku2015official Twitter: https://twitter.com/BakuGames2015 70

Before you ask, no, Canada's not a continent, and no, you can't have 2024 on that basis.

Nice try. :P

LOL nope. Its the same distinction between the Americas. There really isn't a clear definition of Europe other then religious and cultural lines.

Outta all of those, only Turkey has realistic chances of ever joining the E.U. Especially when it's most cultural, important & iconic city, Istanbul, is mainly located on the European side.

Not to mention that Turkey is the driving force of the region. The others don't even come close. And even then, the Turks often times meet such great opposition for membership from the likes of Germany & France.

I find it interesting that Kazakhstan is UEFA in Football and yet in all other sports they are considered Asian. And of course, except for The Vatican and Kosovo, all European countries will be represented at the European Games.

I find it interesting that Kazakhstan is UEFA in Football and yet in all other sports they are considered Asian. And of course, except for The Vatican and Kosovo, all European countries will be represented at the European Games.

They were apart of the AFC but applied to switch over and it was granted.

And yet, Azerbaijan (as well as Georgia, Armenia, Israel and Turkey) is considered as Europe in sports. Plus, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia and Turkey have varying degrees of interest in joining the EU.

While I'm a huge supporter of Istanbul 2020, I'd concede that Turkey has a long way to go before it became an appropriate EU member. But even then, this assumes Turkey still wants to join. The current mood in Turkey from what I understand is to treat the EU as cautiously as the EU treats Turkey. Right now, I'd rather be living in western turkey than in neighbouring EU Greece, Romania or Bulgaria.

Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, et al. are decades away.

Kosovo may well be there in 2015 as relations are normalised with Serbia allowing them to join international organisations.

Europe is not easily defined by any means but by almost any measure these days, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia are in. As it has been noted, all European Olympic committees are eligible and Turkey, Israel, Cyprus and the Caucasus republics are all members.

Eurovision participation is based on being part of the European Broadcasting Area which includes North Africa and the eastern Mediterranean (which means Morocco and of course Israel have entered and Tunisia and Lebanon considered it) or membership of the Council of Europe which is how Azerbaijan qualifies.

Kosovo may well be there in 2015 as relations are normalised with Serbia allowing them to join international organisations.

Europe is not easily defined by any means but by almost any measure these days, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia are in. As it has been noted, all European Olympic committees are eligible and Turkey, Israel, Cyprus and the Caucasus republics are all members.

Eurovision participation is based on being part of the European Broadcasting Area which includes North Africa and the eastern Mediterranean (which means Morocco and of course Israel have entered and Tunisia and Lebanon considered it) or membership of the Council of Europe which is how Azerbaijan qualifies.

Kosovo does not have an Olympic Committee that's why its a no go. This is why some dependencies like Anguilla compete at the CWG (no relation to the Olympics) and do not that the Pan Am Games (as this is an Olympic event).

But they are not eligible for the European Games correct?

They are not, as they are apart of the Olympic Council of Asia.

Well, Azerbaijan is Western Asia, my error.

My point stands, I get that there are many culturally European aspects to these countries... but are they Europe? I think that is a stretch, given that even Turkish continental identify is itself polarised.

But I accept that for sporting purposes the likes of Azerbaijan, Israel and others are considered "European".

Azerbaijan is located on the crossroads of Western Asia and Eastern Europe. Not only in sports but also politically it is connected to Europe as it is a member state in all the major european organizations except EU.

Kosovo does not have an Olympic Committee that's why its a no go. This is why some dependencies like Anguilla compete at the CWG (no relation to the Olympics) and do not that the Pan Am Games (as this is an Olympic event).

They are not, as they are apart of the Olympic Council of Asia.

Plus, Anguilla would not be grandfathered in like many of the other territories competing in the Olympics that feature Americans (American Samoa, Guam, Marshall Islands, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands), British (Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands), Dutch (Aruba), New Zealand (Cook Islands) and China (Hong Kong) as well as partially recognized entities such as Chinese Tapei and Palestine.

Kosovo is not likely to join the Olympic movement, at least not until after South Sudan joins (once they get their Olympic Committee up and running). Kosovo's status in the Olympics will only change if they become independent.

Kosovo is independent and they are recognised by 99 states. Serbia and Kosovo signed an agreement on normalising relations last month and a possible future outcome of this is IOC recognition. So they could be present in Baku.

• 2 weeks later...

Heydar Aliyev International Airport in Baku is expanding with the construction of a new terminal.

The gross area: 65 000 sq m

Annual capacity: 3 mln passangers

Number of check-in: 41

Number of pasport control slots: 52

Number of telescopic gates: 13

Start of construction works: 2011

End of construction works: 2013

19166-a158afa1d8f01df14cf1c4691d99e6d4.j

19168-fd4326d5103f773b61fed07fcb4b5029.j

19152-86fdc0c9bf22eb7488516d4c9c859e8f.j

AZAL is also actively purchasing new planes. Here are two new Airbus A-340-500 planes recently arrived to Baku

19161-12e82c3dc5d04cd06719fae4c355d6c9.j

http://en.president.az/articles/8017/images

Europe is easily defined anything West of the Urals & North of the Caucasus. So South Asia wouldn't be larger, since Europe is almost twice as large. The Ukraine is (Eastern) Europe, & Azerbaijan is (West) Asia.

That would be the quasi-accepted definition as written by 'European' sources. Otherwise, that whole land mass should actually be Eurasia (if viewed from the west) and Asiarope (if viewed from Vladivostok).

This should really make for a great debate. The Euros will demarcate Europe by the Urals but they wont recognize the actual separation of North and South America by a canal, man-made though it may be.

I think political and geographical realities have to alter some things. Israel is grouped with the Euros because of its HOSTILE neighbors who wish nothing but its extinction -- so having Israel compete in 'friendly' matches in its true Asia minor environment is all but UNREALISTIC and insane. New Zealand because its only real rival of any sort in the Oceania grouping is Oz, is, of course, grouped with South American under FIFA. So those certain adjustments have to be made to make things more inclusive and also, saner.

I think political and geographical realities have to alter some things. Israel is grouped with the Euros because of its HOSTILE neighbors who wish nothing but its extinction -- so having Israel compete in 'friendly' matches in its true Asia minor environment is all but UNREALISTIC and insane. New Zealand because its only real rival of any sort in the Oceania grouping is Oz, is, of course, grouped with South American under FIFA. So those certain adjustments have to be made to make things more inclusive and also, saner.

Asia not South America.

What separates Africa from Asia is also a man-made Suez canal
----
New Zealand is a member of the Oceania football Confederation with the other islands in Oceania
Oceania have its own confederation and it is not grouped with any other continent

Australia was part of this confederation but joined Asia in 2006

if you are talking about FIFA world cup qualification they don't have a direct spot in the world cup and under the current rule the OFC champion should play against one of three (depends on qualification draw)

5th placed team in the AFC qualification
5th placed team in the CONMEBOL qualification
4th placed team in CONCACAF qualification
Australia played against CONMEBOL 5th Uruguay for the 2006 world cup
New Zealand played against AFC 5th Bahrain for 2010 and will play against Conmebol 5th for 2014 world cup

-----

in Volleyball for example Oceania countries is part of the Asian Volleyball Confederation
  • 2 weeks later...

Construction update of Boxing center:

a98647995fd4.jpg

7ee7270071.jpg

b85baaef8b97.jpg

Newly built Cycling park in Baku (though I doubt it will be used for the European games):

8931337253_11af2e9ea5_h.jpg

Some existing sport venues of Baku (Heydar Aliyev sport & concert complex, Palace of hand games etc.) are planned to face major facade reconstruction prior to the European games. Here is a proposal for facade reconstruction of Heydar Aliyev sport & concert complex:

Facade now:

9b40fba601cfbce8b292bb8dbd1fc6e8.jpg

Facade after reconstruction:

12bec4d8ac97c57c953255419a8dbfe3.jpg

46f5ccb07f74d13cb46e715fbfab0263.jpg

Baku Olympic Stadium as well as some other project in Baku were presented at Caspian Oil & Gas exhibition. The reason was that these projects are being relized on former waste sites and former oil-polluted old industrial areas.

Baku Olympic Stadium at Caspian Oil & Gas Exhibition 2013:

d947829916c9.jpg

3a567c00d5d6.jpg

Construction update:

bb8f6de2d082.jpg

71c872e758f1.jpg

c8b548b8f055.jpg