London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

I'm stealing this post from the "Look of the Games" thread:

And then not only do I post that, but this photo appears on ssc.

article-2155263-1379388D000005DC-233_964x509.jpg

What could it be?

Probably it has nothing to do with the cauldron (since it doesn't look like a Heatherwick sculpture and also seems to be completed already; additionally, someone mentioned that (allegedly) there's another one of that structure near the Orbit) -- but I just wanted to give you some new food of thought. ;)

The interesting thing is that this structure is about on that axis crossing the Olympic Stadium from south to north, just significantly farther away from the stadium than that proposed cauldron location where now all the catering pods are.

You can see the structure's location on this picture by Jason Hawkes:

JasonHawkes-6298_xlarge.jpg

You can spot the structure to the right of the McDonald's restaurant which is the wood-coloured building behind that bridge at the northern end of the stadium.

• Like 1

I'm stealing this post from the "Look of the Games" thread:

Probably it has nothing to do with the cauldron (since it doesn't look like a Heatherwick sculpture and also seems to be completed already; additionally, someone mentioned that (allegedly) there's another one of that structure near the Orbit) -- but I just wanted to give you some new food of thought. ;)

The interesting thing is that this structure is about on that axis crossing the Olympic Stadium from south to north, just significantly farther away from the stadium than that proposed cauldron location where now all the catering pods are.

You can see the structure's location on this picture by Jason Hawkes:

JasonHawkes-6298_xlarge.jpg

You can spot the structure to the right of the McDonald's restaurant which is the wood-coloured building behind that bridge at the northern end of the stadium.

Interesting... Very interesting indeed, well found

Wow, lots of posts since I've been gone. This thread is becoming really, really active.

Perhaps my description of the War of the Worlds like structure was a bit over the top, lol. After your idea, the canals remain on my shortlist of suspect Cauldron spots. About the wires, the complexity of the flying wires network suspended now above the arena are visible in these photos, including their outboard anchor points in the first photo and the inner ones.

1254970_M01.jpg

JasonHawkes-9837_xlarge.jpg

Well, that is quite the intricate network of wires. I'm actually astounded at the beauty of that outer circle of wires suspended in mid-air. That being said, there are gaps in the wires. I agree with many of you who say that the cauldron won't be flying up somehow through the top of the stadium. So that leaves 2 options: 1) the cauldron will be lit in the stadium and then be moved after the OC or 2) the cauldron will be outside the stadium and will be lit during the OC somehow.

For option 2, a person "flying" up to light the cauldron is too reminiscent of Beijing, so I think that's out. The only other options are either an indirect lighting like Turin (I really hope not) or they've devised an original way to get the flame to the cauldron. Can anyone think of any uniquely British flying objects or methods that may make this happen?

Bra' Tac and any others interested, just found this Jason Hawkes photo showing a close-up of the top of the Orbit from this different overhead angle.

It's interesting that the large metal loop, which I thought previously was looped directly above the centre of the Tower, in reality bends off to one side. This is a bit of a surprise.

I was looking for any clues in photos all around and inside the Stadium, including the Orbit and any signs of it's possible participation in the OC in a minor or major role through such effects as lighting, fireworks or other theatrical gadgetry. Setting aside the "Heatherwick Cauldron-versus-Orbit-design-clash" argument for the moment, Bra-Tac what do you make of this tower structure?

Despite what the Director of the Olympic Park is quoted as saying about gaslines and Cauldron locations, I do find it odd and questionable that he appears to be saying there are no gaslines in the Orbit Tower at all. I would have thought that a restaurant in a prominent tourist tower like this would need gaslines leading to it, since most restaurants anywhere cook on gas stoves, not electric - unless its going to simply be a coffee shop style operation with no freshly cooked food.

Does anyone know of the type of restaurant that will be in this tower?

OrbitTopJasonHawkes-9783_xlarge.jpg

I don't know much about the Orbit, other than it does look like a twisted roller coaster (at night it looks wonderful, though). From my understanding, the restaurant up top is supposed to be fine dining, so I'd assume they'd bring gas into the kitchen (but they may be able to make do with an electric stove). Based on the picture, I see no outlets for gas to come out, but they may not have topped it off with the cauldron yet (although I doubt that's what will occur). They could have run gas pipes within the pipes of the structure itself, but that doesn't seem likely for structural safety reasons (or perhaps the whole thing is a network of gas pipes and it'll explode and turn into the cauldron :P ).

From what I've heard about the tower (it not being built by the London Olympic Committee, denials of it being the cauldron, and it not being designed by Heatherwick), I don't think it'll be the cauldron, but it could still be used as part of the OC, particularly for fireworks. And in that one picture in this forum from within the stadium showing The Orbit's looping looming above the stadium, the loop didn't even reach above the floodlights. They would need to top it off with something substantial to allow a lot of people to see it inside the stadium. That square opening in the middle does intrigue me, though. Perhaps they'll build something extending out from it? It doesn't look like the tower was built for that additional weight, though.

I just had a really awesome idea that would be quite different from all other lighting ceremonies. Unfeasible with the network of wires above the stadium and for numerous other reasons, but just an imaginative idea.

Imagine this:

The olympic torch enters the stadium. As it's passed to the last torch bearer, he lights something on the ground. The flame travels in a spoke like pattern outwards toward the edge of the stage in between the athletes.

In the athlete's goodie bags is a pouch. They're told to open it. It's a flying lantern, like the ones in this pic:

iebQr.jpg

Inside the pouch is also a mini olympic torch. The athletes near the flaming olympic trenches begin to light their torches, in turn lighting others' torches, and so on. They then light their lanterns and are told to hold them.

In the middle of the stage a HUGE lantern appears. As it is lit with the olympic flames, it is let go to fly up. It of course has a rope that will prevent it from flying away. The athletes release their lanterns, which have strings with weights as well. All the lanterns rise, creating a massive olympic "cauldron".

The big lantern will remain as the permanent cauldron and will be moved outside the stadium and attached to a gas line to always have fuel.

Now, I know that this has a lot of issues in general. The main problem is unpredictable weather, but also safety.

But still, wouldn't this be awesome? Every athlete would feel as if they helped light the olympic cauldron. Now that would be a unique experience!

Nice idea but that's very much an eastern/Asian festival practice. In China, Japan and Taiwan they have those 'releasing the souls' lantern festivals exactly as you describe.

However, I think the London Fire Marshall is going to get plenty nervous with so many flames floating around.

I just had a really awesome idea that would be quite different from all other lighting ceremonies. Unfeasible with the network of wires above the stadium and for numerous other reasons, but just an imaginative idea.

Imagine this:

The olympic torch enters the stadium. As it's passed to the last torch bearer, he lights something on the ground. The flame travels in a spoke like pattern outwards toward the edge of the stage in between the athletes.

In the athlete's goodie bags is a pouch. They're told to open it. It's a flying lantern, like the ones in this pic:

iebQr.jpg

Inside the pouch is also a mini olympic torch. The athletes near the flaming olympic trenches begin to light their torches, in turn lighting others' torches, and so on. They then light their lanterns and are told to hold them.

In the middle of the stage a HUGE lantern appears. As it is lit with the olympic flames, it is let go to fly up. It of course has a rope that will prevent it from flying away. The athletes release their lanterns, which have strings with weights as well. All the lanterns rise, creating a massive olympic "cauldron".

The big lantern will remain as the permanent cauldron and will be moved outside the stadium and attached to a gas line to always have fuel.

Now, I know that this has a lot of issues in general. The main problem is unpredictable weather, but also safety.

But still, wouldn't this be awesome? Every athlete would feel as if they helped light the olympic cauldron. Now that would be a unique experience!

Actually, this could totally work in London.

The athletes toward the edge of the stage would have shorter strings for their lanterns. The length of the string gets longer for athletes toward the center of the stage. So the athlete lanterns would "build up" sort of like a mountain up to the center of the wires above the stadium. Then on top of the of all the hanging wires is the large lantern "cauldron". As the athlete lanterns rise, creating the rising mountain, it "lights" the main lantern, which begins to soar above the stadium, visible for miles and for everyone inside.

It would take a lot of planning and coordination, but it's feasible. Weather is still the biggest issue, though.

Nice idea but that's very much an eastern/Asian festival practice. In China, Japan and Taiwan they have those 'releasing the souls' lantern festivals exactly as you describe.

However, I think the London Fire Marshall is going to get plenty nervous with so many flames floating around.

The releasing of lanterns is actually done in numerous countries in Europe as well. For me, it doesn't seem like an eastern practice, but perhaps to others it does.

Well, we had that speculation a couple of times before already. After someone mentioned here recently that the stadium's roof is rather fragile and had to be carefully balanced, we can probably exclude any kind of cauldron sitting on the roof. And I somehow don't see a Heatherwick cauldron attached to some other structure - not to the Orbit nor to one of those floodlights

Im off to the Heatherwick exhibition next week at the V&A, apparently there is a spare plinth where the cauldron model will go.

I read an article where he was interviewed where he said his work was all about answering specific questions. The reporter asked what was the question he asked himself when designing the cauldron? His response. If he told us the question it would be give the cauldron game away totally LOL

I was looking through the Torch Relay thread and saw this tweet posted from almost year and a half ago about the cauldron:

I picked up good bit of info today' date=' which I think is exclusive. London Olympic flame won't be in Stadium. On separate structure alongside[/quote']

Source, Twitter account of The BBC's James Pearce: https://twitter.com/...556188820422656

Obviously wondering if plans haven't changed...

• Like 1

I was looking through the Torch Relay thread and saw this tweet posted from almost year and a half ago about the cauldron:

Source, Twitter account of The BBC's James Pearce: https://twitter.com/...556188820422656

I'm inclined to believe that. Davey, we'll be curious to see what you find at the V&A, though perhaps they will leave that spot empty until after the Games have begun....

I expect the cauldron to be good. Generally I really like Heatherwick.

I've been an interested reader of this forum for the last week or so. The 'where's the cauldron gonna be' puzzle is fascinating. Reading through all the posts now is a daily addiction for me. Like the rest of you I am very curious as to where the cauldron will be. The zoomable hi rez panoramic image taken at the 2012 hours to go event might yield some clues (assuming the cauldron is inside the stadium). You can get to the image at http://2012hourstogo.panoramic-imaging.com/

In pulling all the information together from the preceding 72 pages I have a hunch that:

1. The use of triangles is significant (triangular torch signifying third time the Games have been in London)

2. The mechanism supporting/holding the cauldron could feasibly be outside the stadium (the roof seems too well balanced already to support a further structure) yet the cauldron will be seen inside the stadium and possibly from elsewhere in the park too

3. The London 2012 planning document identifies the footprint of the cauldron being outside the stadium at some stage

Is it beyond the realm of engineering that some sort of lean, triangular, cantilevered structure with a gas line running through it and secured by cables (like anchoring tent guylines) outside the stadium at the north end [PDF of Park Map] could suspend the cauldron over the roof and make it appear that the cauldron is floating in the air within the stadium?

• Like 3

I've been an interested reader of this forum for the last week or so. The 'where's the cauldron gonna be' puzzle is fascinating. Reading through all the posts now is a daily addiction for me. Like the rest of you I am very curious as to where the cauldron will be. The zoomable hi rez panoramic image taken at the 2012 hours to go event might yield some clues (assuming the cauldron is inside the stadium). You can get to the image at http://2012hourstogo...ic-imaging.com/

In pulling all the information together from the preceding 72 pages I have a hunch that:

1. The use of triangles is significant (triangular torch signifying third time the Games have been in London)

2. The mechanism supporting/holding the cauldron could feasibly be outside the stadium (the roof seems too well balanced already to support a further structure) yet the cauldron will be seen inside the stadium and possibly from elsewhere in the park too

3. The London 2012 planning document identifies the footprint of the cauldron being outside the stadium at some stage

Is it beyond the realm of engineering that some sort of lean, triangular, cantilevered structure with a gas line running through it and secured by cables (like anchoring tent guylines) outside the stadium at the north end [PDF of Park Map] could suspend the cauldron over the roof and make it appear that the cauldron is floating in the air within the stadium?

Welcome Paul65, yes its very intriguing and London have so far managed to keep us guessing. :) Thanks for the 4May Panorama photo which shows amazing zooming in capability within the stadium. Bra'tac has become a 'consultant' engineer in this thread (& also a filmmaker). There has been plenty of speculation that one of those pods at the norhern end has been hiding some Cauldron related activity. There are also the network of wires above the stadium but there are gaps within that network,

Bra'tac what do you think ?

Edited by AustralianFan