London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Whatever it is, there are more just like it at multiple points around the stadium so it's doubtful they're cauldron related.

tumblr_m5l14o55kp1qiu78qo1_500.png

Dummies! To throw us off the scent! I'm kidding.....

Still betting on a cauldron to the north outside the stadium.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's more pictures here, a close up of the tree. There's vertical wires hanging from the tree top, very possible the tree is to be lifted up or removed. Something is definitely coming out from under the tree/ beneath the tor.

http://www.dailymail...orning-sun.html

More and more are being revealed now and in a way I don't want to know too much anymore. Want the rest to be a surprise. Conundrum!

Probably the tree wil be removed. The meadow is just for the opening segment "Green and pleasant". Boyle stated after this the stage will change...

The meadow is also to be enjoyed by the public inside the stadium more than the audience for tv...

Wasn't the "River of Fire" on Closing Ceremony night in 2000 just part of a line of a series of strategically placed fireworks barges that stretched from inner Sydney Harbour past the Bridge and up the Parramatta River to Olympic Park?

I do remember there were a hell of a lot fireworks going off from many barges from Olympic Park right up the river and well into Sydney Harbour that memorable night after it all ended.

For London's OC, will the Torch travel up the Thames to a waterway close to Olympic Park? (for Sydney, it travelled to near the Stadium on a 'rivercat' ferry)

Oh, I meant the one for the millennium New Years Eve celebrations in London for Dec 31, 1999 - Jan 1, 2000: http://news.bbc.co.u...news/587071.stm

It was a bit of a fail.

Seems like whenever they try to do something spectacular with the river, it always ends up a damp squib. The millennium fire and also the diamond jubilee river pageant. It's those things they wished people will not remember.

Seems like whenever they try to do something spectacular with the river, it always ends up a damp squib. The millennium fire and also the diamond jubilee river pageant. It's those things they wished people will not remember.

I had no idea Thames was that difficult to tame but I highly doubt they won't be planning a Melbourne 2006 style lights and fireworks display from the river. It's too much to resist when you have a meandering water course crossing your very downtown and featuring so prominently as a symbol of the city from its bid logo to one of the opening ceremony stages.

What´s that?

Sorry for the previous post...i can´t attach the image....

Try uploading to a site like imgur.com, then share that url with us. If you want to have the picture embedded, click on the image button the text options and input the url there.

iKrO2.jpgwhat´s that circles??

Try uploading to a site like imgur.com, then share that url with us. If you want to have the picture embedded, click on the image button the text options and input the url there.

Thank you very much! Muito obrigado!

Now I count 5 rings....not 4...

This view confirm me there is absolutely no work underway in the plaza at the north of the stadium...

olympic-stadium_2248127k.jpg

Even under the "famous" pod...

Where could they possibly have the cauldron?? No signs of activity outside the stadium at all. The river barge is still there though...

Probably the tree wil be removed. The meadow is just for the opening segment "Green and pleasant". Boyle stated after this the stage will change...

The meadow is also to be enjoyed by the public inside the stadium more than the audience for tv...

If the tree is only temporary, why install it 5 weeks before the ceremony?

its the tree with secrets. Its probably one of the most complex props out there at the moment with possibly complex hidden mechanical or hydraulic scene changing devices underneath it for a later segment/s in the OC, particularly the very last segment of the night .......

Possibly, but I don't think it's just a simple little thing that will be whisked away to reveal a cauldron.

Haven't there been barges on those canals for years now? And what's to say that particular barge isn't transporting in materials to be used inside the stadium?

Honestly who knows why its there, but I think that's a more likely explanation for its presence there than its being involved in tricky underwater installation of what would be a massive cauldron on a canal that is practically behind the VIP's inside the stadium...

Haven't there been barges on those canals for years now? And what's to say that particular barge isn't transporting in materials to be used inside the stadium?

Honestly who knows why its there, but I think that's a more likely explanation for its presence there than its being involved in tricky underwater installation of what would be a massive cauldron on a canal that is practically behind the VIP's inside the stadium...

I'm not expecting underwater installation, but that barge has been there for a while and I haven't seen others in the vicinity for quite some time.

I hear lots of people say where the cauldron won't be, but few people say where it they think it WILL be. If you shoot down someone's hypothesis, perhaps you can offer an alternate idea.

My money is still on that area just north of the stadium. It's perfectly aligned with everything else, gaslines are in place, it was mentioned in the article as the cauldron site as was a height of up to 150m. If some of those pods in that big cluster are moved, there is room (there is no other clump of pods like that anywhere else in the park. Everywhere else they are in linear compositions. A cauldron at that end would not visually compete with the Orbit and could be seen by media and VIPs.

It is odd having the pods there and not having seen any foundation go in, but all things considered, I still don't see a more likely spot.

I'm not expecting underwater installation, but that barge has been there for a while and I haven't seen others in the vicinity for quite some time.

I hear lots of people say where the cauldron won't be, but few people say where it they think it WILL be. If you shoot down someone's hypothesis, perhaps you can offer an alternate idea.

My money is still on that area just north of the stadium. It's perfectly aligned with everything else, gaslines are in place, it was mentioned in the article as the cauldron site as was a height of up to 150m. If some of those pods in that big cluster are moved, there is room (there is no other clump of pods like that anywhere else in the park. Everywhere else they are in linear compositions. A cauldron at that end would not visually compete with the Orbit and could be seen by media and VIPs.

It is odd having the pods there and not having seen any foundation go in, but all things considered, I still don't see a more likely spot.

The pods are clustered up like that because there aren't any on the west side of the stadium as the VIP building takes up concourse space. The pods that would go on the west side occupy space on the northern end.

And I'm just going by observation. If I see something that looks like it could be for a cauldron, I'll propose it as a possible location.

Eery area both inside and outside the stadium that's been put forward as a posible location (the Orbit, inside the stadium in front of the screen, outside on the northern end, the canals) has its strong points against it and none of them seem likely to me at this point.

I used to think a cauldron on the northern of the stadium was pretty much a definite, but then I realized how much of a foundation Torino's cauldron tower needed and observed how little activity is and has taken place in that area.

Perhaps as July 27th approaches, we'll see activity congregate on a particular spot and things will become more and more clear, but again, it's hard to say at this point. I personally like it this way; it'll be great on the organizers if we go into the night of the ceremony without knowing where the cauldron will be, unlike with every other past Games. We'll be in for a real surprise.

This view confirm me there is absolutely no work underway in the plaza at the north of the stadium...

olympic-stadium_2248127k.jpg

Even under the "famous" pod...

I really like this view of the 'stadium island' looks very good

No, I said all places have their fair points against them at this point so I'm not going to stand behind any of them at this point. It was in response to your suggesting that I should perhaps propose an alternate ideas instead of shooting people's hypothesis down.

Now we know the five rings will most probably be flying around, it made me wonder could the cauldron be forged in similar patterns and perhaps the most obvious location for the cauldron then is in the centre of the roof, hovering above the field supported by the wires? When no signs of possible construction outside the stadium, one can only look in now. :)

If the tree is only temporary, why install it 5 weeks before the ceremony?

Well said, that is actually a very good observation. Why do they build the tor and the tree (which is almost finished) so far ahead to the rest?? It does make you wonder that part of the stadium must be really important or they need to test things out early for whatever they are doing there. I am keeping my hawk's eye on the tree and tor.

The tor is such a gigantic structure, and well-finished it is bound to stay there throughout the ceremony. Not sure about the tree, but if the tree is removed (or at least will be lifted up that is for sure given the vertical wires), what will replace the tree then? I can't see the tree being pulled down beneath the tor, the branch and canopy looks too big to squeeze into the shaft struture we saw in earlier photos. No way that tree is just there for decoration purpose and remain unchanged throughout the ceremony. It will just be pointless.

The tree will definitely have a function. Either the tree will be taken apart and removed - leaving an empty tor and hence allowing something else to happen on the tor. Or the tree will transform into something else.There MUST be something more than that, and who knows what hides under that tor! Practising my theory of deduction here! :)

Archived