London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

The tree on the hill is in place inside the stadium at the northern end. What could be under it (if anything?)

images-2012-06-London_2012_Olympic_Stadium_being_completed_for_opening_ceremony_June_2012-550x550.jpg

From this picture we can clearly see how the Glastonbury tor looks like in the stadium. Notice the hill contour which looks like a winding path that leads up to the top? It seems a brilliant route for the final torchbearer to run up this winding path and light the cauldron on top. Gonna be do dramatic and great buildup of anticipation not to mention how photogenic the camera shot is of him running up the hill!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes...the shining beacon atop a hill, calling the world's athletes to assemble in London.

This changes everything! Could the cauldron perhaps rise out of the hill like where the tree is and then 'bloom' like a flower (think the opening of an umbrella but upside down) as it is lit?

This was an art installation for the past few years in Vancouver (now gone) which I thought would have made an interesting cauldron design. But perhaps London might be looking at something similar? Not identical, but something tree like, without appearing like a Biblical burning bush.

5_Skin_of_Time_50_Large_DF.jpg

From the picture of the tree in the stadium it does look like a big flame really might be a hazard so close to that fabric roof.

And I think a zig-zag'ed climb up the mound to a cauldron would be really dragged out, no?

You're right about the roof only covering the upper level but the rising heat from a Cauldron in the stands where the Tree currently is still awfully close to the upper tier and the roof above it. Even with safety concerns aside, I can't see London going for an 'intraverted' Cauldron that can only be seen by those inside the Stadium. I think it will be a fixed high external Heatherwick Cauldron that can be seen for miles.

Is there any way we can have a definite way of telling the distance of the tree from the roof? Sometimes photos can be misleading and hard to tell for sure. I have a feeling the tree and the stage is actually outside of the roof rim and hence shouldn't be a problem having cauldron there. Also the height distance might be so big that even if the roof is directly on top it shouldn't be a problem too.

They

There's definitely space there, but not for anything too big. So maybe these are the problems Heatherwick had to solve when designing the cauldron?

1. How to fit the cauldron underneath the mound and make it emerge from the small opening at the top where the tree stood?

2. Once out of the mound, how can the cauldron potentially transform into something bigger and more impressive?

3. And if the cauldron is not going to remain there during the Games, how can it be transported to another location?

And there may be an altogether unsolvable problem with this location in that the stadium's roof would be right above the flame. They can't have a big flame burning underneath such a delicate fabric roof.

Is it possible though that it could just contain the "base" of the cauldron and then the actual cauldron is positioned on top from outside the stadium?

Personally I don't think it would be the cauldron itself, but could be somehow linked to the lighting of the cauldron.

Also if the tree is on that stage where it the bell going?

I really don't think the cauldron will rise out of the tor. Yes, there's space, but I think the purpose of the tor is to act as a stage and platform -- not a cover up. Plus, Adrian already said the cauldron wasn't there.

Sydney's stage doubled as the cauldron's holding spot, let's not forget.

And for the sake of clarification and to ensure everyone is caught up (because I'm not), what exactly did Adrian say? Does he know exactly where it's going to be or does he have a general idea of where it may or may not go?

Have you seen the most recent image from the stadium? Here it is from the opening ceremony forum (spoiler alert to anyone who doesnt want to know anything about the opening ceremony)

.article-2158842-13973EF8000005DC-218_964x641.jpg

Is the ring on top of the roof new at the bottom left of this picture? I dont remember seeing it before. Could this have anything to do with the cauldron?? Or at least the lighting of the Cauldron outside the stadium???

Sorry, bottom right, not bottom left.

I'm imagining the final torch somehow traveling down the mini Thames to that ramp. That tree area has to be the location of the couldron.

...it's odd the rings are so strewn all about, makes one think the process of comming together may be part of the cerimony. Will they perhaps be discovered scene by scene to finaly join in some sort of climax.

...can the rings end up permanently attached to the "platform" above the tree? ....will the couldron be possitioned with the rings as a backdrom? ....I think the couldron will rise above roofline, or I hope so.

...also still curious about that graphic on the cerimony tickets, and how it may indicat some design ellement in the couldron..

London-2012-tickets-006.jpg

...havent seen anythign like that in any of the other graphic compositions, an explosive arangement of armatures seems like one of the designers trademarck design ques.

Thanks for sharing pjpauly2k. From looking at the shadows under those rings it looks like they are suspended on the intricate roof cable runners. I wonder do they come together to make the olympic rings? If so then the fifth ring is missing. Don't think these will be cauldron related.

Have you seen the most recent image from the stadium? Here it is from the opening ceremony forum (spoiler alert to anyone who doesnt want to know anything about the opening ceremony)

Is the ring on top of the roof new at the bottom left of this picture? I dont remember seeing it before. Could this have anything to do with the cauldron?? Or at least the lighting of the Cauldron outside the stadium???

Sorry, bottom right, not bottom left.

Thanks for sharing pjpauly2k. From looking at the shadows under those rings it looks like they are suspended on the intricate roof cable runners. I wonder do they come together to make the olympic rings? If so then the fifth ring is missing. Don't think these will be cauldron related.

If you look closely there are actuallly 5 rings. 2 of them are to the right side of ther river themse and one right at the bridge leading to this hill. The other one lying on the white floor and the fifth on on the rooftop.

Ah yes Matt I see all five now. Your eyes are better than mine. LOL

If you look closely there are actuallly 5 rings. 2 of them are to the right side of ther river themse and one right at the bridge leading to this hill. The other one lying on the white floor and the fifth on on the rooftop.

There's more pictures here, a close up of the tree. There's vertical wires hanging from the tree top, very possible the tree is to be lifted up or removed. Something is definitely coming out from under the tree/ beneath the tor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2158842/London-Olympics-2012-Images-Houses-Parliament-bathed-morning-sun.html

More and more are being revealed now and in a way I don't want to know too much anymore. Want the rest to be a surprise. Conundrum!

I don't think a cauldron in the area of the thor is a given, but I don't think it's completely impossible at this point either. I would take that over a large cauldron outside the stadium and here's why:

Old aerial pictures of the northern end of the stadium.

tumblr_m5kyetMWqn1qiu78qo1_500.png

tumblr_m5kyetMWqn1qiu78qo2_500.png

olympic-stadium-006.jpg

No real signs of a pre-laid foundation for a tall cauldron tower. And the Daily Mail would've made sure to take pictures of this area if there was significant activity going on, so I would say probably isn't at the moment. Time is quickly running out for such a big structure to start getting anchored to the concourse...

What is that light colored circular object though? It's perfectly aligned with the stadium and the triangular floodlight. Are you sure it isn't evidence that the cauldron WILL be outside the stadium to the north?

Whatever it is, there are more just like it at multiple points around the stadium so it's doubtful they're cauldron related.

tumblr_m5l14o55kp1qiu78qo1_500.png

Archived