London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

http://stock.jasonha...12-olympic-park

Is that a cauldron being constructed on the new platform?

rttg.jpg

Great breakthrough photo, thanks Davey. Certainly looks like it could be at least a supporting base for one.

If it is Cauldron related, looks like it could rise up quite high from that starting position. But how high?

Looking at the wires across the top of the Stadium in the side closest to the camera, there are gaps between the flying wires.

Edited by AustralianFan

To me, that rather looks like the upper half of a globe. Maybe they'll have that as backdrop for the performances (and/or speeches?) taking place on that platform, as a symbol for the earth?

Additionally I have to repeat that a cauldron on that stage would block the sight of the screen. That globe thing already looks as if it's equally as high or even higher than the lower rim of the screen.

Well someone son skyscraper city says it isn't the cauldron at all, are they trying to keep us guessing.

You mean posting #4406 here? http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=694556&page=221

Could that Metroguy78 be our Adrianme? Because he mentions that he hasn't seen where the cauldron will go, but he has seen the mock-up of the stadium for the opening sequence (he mentions that two posts later).

if you look real close at the bottom left ramp of the center stage you can see people, look how small they are compared to the stage and it looks like the stage is higher than we think. probably about 8 feet? also if you notice the screen is to the left of the cauldron(?) also they are putting a darker ring around the stage. the more i look at the picture the more i notice.

Someone involved with the ceremonies on SSC says:

That structure isnt the cauldron, can't say what on here or where the cauldron is but i know what's being built.

EDIT: You guys are way ahead of me I see.

Edited by RobH

if you look real close at the bottom left ramp of the center stage you can see people, look how small they are compared to the stage and it looks like the stage is higher than we think. probably about 8 feet? also if you notice the screen is to the left of the cauldron(?) also they are putting a darker ring around the stage. the more i look at the picture the more i notice.

So in other words, it's like this...

team-usajpg-7f0ccfb368671e46_large.jpg

just like Vancouver...

So we can deduce that the/a cauldron will either come up from the center or from the stage... They had to dig 18 feet into the BC Place floor to fit that central brazier in there. Can't they think originally anymore?

It's either the cauldron or for the bell, that's for sure. But I believe the bell stage will be on the other end. The whole shaft penetration down to the bottom does not look like a staging for a bell, it looks much more complicated than that!

It's either the cauldron or for the bell, that's for sure. But I believe the bell stage will be on the other end. The whole shaft penetration down to the bottom does not look like a staging for a bell, it looks much more complicated than that!

That bell idea seems so pedantic. Didn't they previously say that it'll sit in Olympic Park. That thing is heavy, weighing several thousand pounds; doesn't make it too easy to lug around...not when you have limited space to move hundreds of people in costume around; props, probably giant ones also. It just sounds like more trouble than it's worth. With the weight of that bell, they will certainly have to reinforce that stage if it's going to be dragged around that stage. I think the bell's just going to be rung for the Countdown.

What ever it is, it means, it will not stay permanently here, as they will have to remove it for the athletics in order to have full access to the screen behind...

So if it is a cauldron, it means, they will move it after the ceremony or dismantle it.... as in any case they will have another one outside the stadium !

That bell idea seems so pedantic. Didn't they previously say that it'll sit in Olympic Park. That thing is heavy, weighing several thousand pounds; doesn't make it too easy to lug around...not when you have limited space to move hundreds of people in costume around; props, probably giant ones also. It just sounds like more trouble than it's worth. With the weight of that bell, they will certainly have to reinforce that stage if it's going to be dragged around that stage. I think the bell's just going to be rung for the Countdown.

But the shaft structure does not look like it is designed for a bell. It looks like it's designed for something to come up through the shaft from below the stage. Like a hydraulic lift for cauldron or maybe a person eg. the final torchbearer!

They are building part of the stage for the opening - it has nothing to do with the cauldron - I repeat it has nothing to do with the cauldron

Thanks Adrian for clearing that up that it is nothing to do with the Cauldron. Back to square one with our guesses about it's location then.

That network of flying wires over the stadium may well prevent any Cauldron inside the Stadium rising up high enough for external viewing. I'm now leaning once more to a Cauldron external to the stadium given the restrictions of the overhead flying wires above the stadium arena.

I know you can't say much Adrian, but I am wondering though whether your statement "it has nothing to do with the cauldron" rules out the circular stage strucuture in the northern stands doubling also as some sort of lifting mechanism to take the final torchbearer up to the stadium roof to initiate the Cauldron lighting sequence, whereever the Cauldron may be (?)

or is it just a fixed raised platform ...

rttg.jpg

Edited by AustralianFan

Just a crazy idea, and sorry if this has been discussed yet, but isn't it a bit unusual to have the world's biggest bell only to ring it once? What if that thing turns over just before it's lit? As I said, just a crazy idea.

• Like 2

Just a crazy idea, and sorry if this has been discussed yet, but isn't it a bit unusual to have the world's biggest bell only to ring it once? What if that thing turns over just before it's lit? As I said, just a crazy idea.

Ha! I like this idea! That would be a really cool way to disguise its location! Not sure how likely it is though, doesnt seem very Heathereick to me, but you never know.