London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

From SSC someone mentioned that the cauldron will be lit by a child from the host borough (Newham). Love love the idea, it will be a very touching gesture and totally fit the motto of inspire a generation. I hope this is true, there's no protocol that said the cauldron must be lit by a prolific athlete no? SLC 2002 was lit by a bunch of firefighters

Been reported that the flame will be lit by a child ( from the host borough )and not a athlete as part of

" inspire a generation ".

I guess it would fit the theme of the Games, and it's not a hugely *bad idea* as such, but to be honest, I'd prefer an Olympic athlete, a sporting legend.

I know it would be sickeningly sweet to have a little kid light it, no doubt born on the day London won the Games, but the Olympics should still be honouring those amazing legends of years gone by. Lighting the Olympic cauldron would have to be an absolute career highlight. The idea of giving it to some random child who in 10 years time could just as easily be pimping their ass on the side of the road selling p and rubbing cocaine on the gums of their child, as they could be starting to compete in a future Olympiad, just doesn't sit quite right with me.

Of course that's overly dramatic, but I think if the ceremony can inspire a generation, let's give the climax of the ceremony as the moment where we see the ultimate in what a sportsman/woman can be - a British sporting legend.

I guess a compromise could be the duo, representing youth, and representing sporting excellence.

That I could handle.

Love all the latest photos, really gets me extra excited, looks like it's going to be something special.

As for 2 cauldrons. I'd prefer one, I could handle too, just as long as the stadium cauldron isn't extinguished at the end of the ceremony, ala Vancouver. That just ruins it completely.

• Like 1

I clearly prefer a single cauldron. In the host city, there should only be one flame as the focal point and not two or even more. Vancouver "solved" that by extinguishing the indoor cauldron and having the outdoor cauldron as the focal point during the Games, but I absolutely agree with you, Matty, that it's extremely anti-climatic and disappointing to do so.

And so far, they have only spoken about Heatherwick designing the cauldron and not several cauldrons. I think that for an artist like him it's also important that there is only one specimen of his cauldron sculpture and not (maybe) a smaller one for the stadium and a bigger one for outside. I'm sure he wants to create a unique sculpture.

• Like 1

That brown oval shape is definitely a raised stage connected by ramps if you look closely. It is slightly raised, not a lot but probably a persons height, good enough to hide props and stuff under and esp the cauldron!

That brown oval shape is definitely a raised stage connected by ramps if you look closely. It is slightly raised, not a lot but probably a persons height, good enough to hide props and stuff under and esp the cauldron!

Props under the raised stage in the middle, yes. But not a Cauldron. It would not be seen from outside the Stadium and would have to be moved for the athletics competition in the 2nd week. Strung across the top of the stadium are all those flying wires which would impede any Cauldron rising impossibly high enough and through them in order to be seen from outside.

Its been 24 years since Seoul which was the last Summer Olympics when the Opening Cerremony Cauldron could only be seen by the Stadium audience.

Since then, several Summer Games Opening Ceremonies have had similar networks of overhead flying wires, eg Sydney, Athens, Beijing, but their Cauldrons were off to one side and could also be seen from outside the Stadium.

IMG_0719.jpg

Edited by AustralianFan

Possibly, but wouldn't a Summer Games Cauldron just burn, unmoved, for the duration of the Games from it's original, prominent position?

But isn't there's a first time for everything, especially if necessity dictates it so.

Wherever London puts its cauldron (or cauldrons, I hate to say that also), it will be out of necessity more than anything. Putting it at any of the traditional places for a cauldron like at the top of the stands or on the roof is simply impossible.

2007_pan_american_games_opening_ceremony_at_maracana_05-08-11.jpg

Afiq, yes, that's one of the possible scenarios discussed. Light a cauldron w/in the infield; and then, I was thinking. doing some sort of mime that the floor cauldron will communicate to the tower cauldron...or a laser beam...and then the tower cauldron will also be lit. Altho, was it Boyle or Daldry who said that they "...would not shy away from doing something dairng." But with a cauldron not being part of the original stadium structure, the options are rather limited.

Another possible scenario: an infield cauldron will be lit. And then, like a remote-controlled flying device (like those flying toy choppers or UFOs) will then lift off from the ground-based cauldron, then fly off with a flame to light the tower cauldron if there will be one.

Afiq, yes, that's one of the possible scenarios discussed. Light a cauldron w/in the infield; and then, I was thinking. doing some sort of mime that the floor cauldron will communicate to the tower cauldron...or a laser beam...and then the tower cauldron will also be lit. Altho, was it Boyle or Daldry who said that they "...would not shy away from doing something dairng." But with a cauldron not being part of the original stadium structure, the options are rather limited.

God I hope not

Another possible scenario: an infield cauldron will be lit. And then, like a remote-controlled flying device (like those flying toy choppers or UFOs) will then lift off from the ground-based cauldron, then fly off with a flame to light the tower cauldron if there will be one.

I came across this in a book about Heatherwick's works - a conceptual design for a kinetic water mill sculpture tower in Stratford. Looks pretty interesting, reminds me of what could be like for a cauldron tower (though I expect more bravado in his cauldron design)

imageqml.jpg

imageues.jpg

Edited by kevzz

that is air conditioning systems up top. IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN SO DROP IT!

xtclvr05, relax, I just asked a question. This is a forum for healthy open discussion about cauldron theories from interested fans from all over the world.

As individuals, we may not always agree on the widely different theories put forward but respecting the right of everyone to have their say and being respectful with our replies is part of the Olympic Spirit.

Edited by AustralianFan

that got me thinking. the way thomas heatherwick's designs are the cauldron could be right in front of our very eyes and we just don't realize it yet.

Hi, I've been reading these forums for a long time and have finally decided to start posting. I couldn't agree more. I have just stared at some of the recent pictures of the stadium/park looking for the location of the cauldron. I have a feeling its location is right under our nose.

I came across this in a book about Heatherwick's works - a conceptual design for a kinetic water mill sculpture tower in Stratford. Looks pretty interesting, reminds me of what could be like for a cauldron tower (though I expect more bravado in his cauldron design)

imageqml.jpg

imageues.jpg

But even that is, to use a pun, a "bow" to Athens' m.o. I'd think they will go for something different as that is the unwritten rule.

I wonder if gaslines have been installed to operate in this external Tower's restaurant ?

_60540843_orbit.jpg

That top section looks too open ... I wonder

that is air conditioning systems up top. IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN SO DROP IT!

[/quote

xtclvr05, relax. I just asked a question. This is a forum for healthy open discussion about cauldron theories from interested fans from all over the world.

As individuals, we may not always agree on the widely different theories put forward but respecting the right of everyone to have their say and being respectful with our replies is part of the Olympic Spirit.

I am wondering, though, what kind of role the Orbit Tower might play in the Cauldron lighting segment, even as a "relay" to where ever the actual Cauldron will be, given the UK's long history of beacon bonfires from mountaintops and advancing armies and the like.

Edited by AustralianFan

that got me thinking. the way thomas heatherwick's designs are the cauldron could be right in front of our very eyes and we just don't realize it yet.

Do you mean the cauldron itself is right underneath our noses or the location of it?

imageues.jpg

LOL

That's my concept presented here...

los.jpg

insideview.jpg

los.jpg