London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too think it was the best cauldron lighting, ever... and I'm a Sydneysider. That's a big thing to concede!

I think the symbolism of the lighting and concept were great... I'm proud my fellow Sydneysider can be uncharacteristically objective, but also as a Sydneysider, me and my bias are not quite ready to concede. :P

I would have still wanted it to have moved from the centre to the Glastonbury Tor section.

Just raise the performance field a bit higher to allow for an elevator platform. The cauldron would "magically" appear from the pit, get lit, form it's tower then after a few minutes (to allow for the audience to take pictures) it will start moving towards the Glastonbury Tor end. The Glastonbury "hill" will part (some of which will go behind where the video screens would normally be, others going out of view and through the gates and into the back-house), the cauldron will "plant" itself to it's final spot, be attached to a permanent gas mains and burn brighter than ever to show that the cauldron lighting is over.

I too think it was the best cauldron lighting, ever... and I'm a Sydneysider. That's a big thing to concede!

I won't concede best lighting - both Sydney and Barcelona share those honours, IMO, and I think the actual lighting in London was a bit anti-climactic. But the cauldron itself - my favourite by far!

I won't concede best lighting - both Sydney and Barcelona share those honours, IMO, and I think the actual lighting in London was a bit anti-climactic. But the cauldron itself - my favourite by far!

Agreed, as beautiful as the cauldron is, and as great as the concept is, it was still a rather lengthy procedure which lacked that oomph of climax - as it were.

Decided (as I had to be in that part of Sydney this afternoon) that I'd do my tri-weekly swimming at Olympic Park. Quite a bizarre feeling to be casually working out there knowing that that same venue is where all the action was only three Olympics ago. How time flies. Anyway, the 2000 Olympic cauldron was burning bright, was great to see. It will burn during the length of the London Olympics, as it has for every other Olympics since 2000. It also is lit the on the anniversary of the opening of the Sydney Olympics every year.

Anyway, the 2000 Olympic cauldron was burning bright, was great to see. It will burn during the length of the London Olympics, as it has for every other Olympics since 2000. It also is lit the on the anniversary of the opening of the Sydney Olympics every year.

I had no idea they did that! Nice gesture.

I had no idea they did that! Nice gesture.

Yeah it is nice, I just wish they never split the cauldron saucer from the mast, I get the idea and i think it is a very nice fountain, but it was such a classic and beautiful cauldron as one piece and the super narrow and tall flame was so awesome. I still can't believe they threw the mast in the trash, bit like the harbour bridge rings.....

Decided (as I had to be in that part of Sydney this afternoon) that I'd do my tri-weekly swimming at Olympic Park. Quite a bizarre feeling to be casually working out there knowing that that same venue is where all the action was only three Olympics ago. How time flies. Anyway, the 2000 Olympic cauldron was burning bright, was great to see. It will burn during the length of the London Olympics, as it has for every other Olympics since 2000. It also is lit the on the anniversary of the opening of the Sydney Olympics every year.

ABC article from 2010: Freeman and Paralympian Louise Sauvage then lit the cauldron for the first time in 10 years. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/15/3012932.htm?site=sydney

Well perhaps the first time Cathy has touched it since 2000... did they relight it for Beijing 2008?

Best Lighting ever - Barcelona

Best Lighting m.o. - a tie between Sydney and Moscow. Sydney, mechanically; Moscow - human physicaiity.

London's, I would class as 'mechanically elegant' (moving by itself) but the Lighting interaction drama w/ the Lighter(s) - nothing. .

Best Lighting ever :) Barcelona? - Hell Yes!!! I can still picture it in my head now!

Lamest - Atlanta!

Most unusual - Athens - :huh: What the hell was that? Did Bic Corporation pay for that!

Sydney's malfunction sort of got hidden by the music and Cath Freeman standing there in the water all nice and wet in her tight white bodysuit...And (for those who have the VHS set explains) when corrected, they timed the lift to begin after the music set - a good save! ;)

I saying that, I like the London Cauldron - what I don't like is the way it has been treated.

I love the Athens lighting - it just works for me and has the right combination of someone physically lighting the cauldron and that bit of a spectacle with the torch beautifully bowing down to receive the flame. Sydney is great on the edited version without the agonising wait for it to move (I suspect NBC might have done them a favour on that), but was overly complex really. London's lighting though is up there with the best (everything working puts it ahead of Sydney and Vancouver) - so as a ceremonial cauldron it's almost perfect, but as a cauldron for the games it's been quite a failure.

I do think Sochi will do a good job as their stadium seems to be designed with it in mind - and of course with it being a Winter Games they can always opt to light the cauldron in the middle and then (as long as they raise it into view) it can stay put as it's not in the field of play. I'm really worried about Rio though - at least ours is in the Olympic Stadium, not in a different stadium.

I do think Sochi will do a good job as their stadium seems to be designed with it in mind - and of course with it being a Winter Games they can always opt to light the cauldron in the middle and then (as long as they raise it into view) it can stay put as it's not in the field of play. I'm really worried about Rio though - at least ours is in the Olympic Stadium, not in a different stadium.

I think that Sochi will definitely have either a cauldron on the roof or a cauldron tower outside the stadium - a cauldron in the centre of the infield would be a wasted opportunity considering the many possibilities the stadium's architecture offers. I suppose a tower is most likely, and it could be very massive and tall. The Russians think big (especially Putin) and that's why they most probably won't choose the modest "we'll have a filigree, light-weight and rather small cauldron stashed away in the stadium" approach of London.

Rio, on the other hand, could choose the two cauldrons approach - the main cauldron at Maracana, a secondary and probably slightly smaller cauldron at Joao Havelange Olympic Stadium (if that will still be its name in 2016 ;). I bet that the organisers know that it's important to have the Olympic Flame in sight during the athletics competition. And that stadium's architecture also allows a flame to be seen from inside as well as outside the stadium:

joao_havelange_11.jpeg

They didn't have a secondary cauldron there during the Rio 2007 Pan American Games, though, had they?

And that stadium's architecture also allows a flame to be seen from inside as well as outside the stadium:

This might not be the case in 2016, though, since they are renovating Havelange to greatly increase the seating capacity.

(And I don't know about you, but "Pele Olympic Stadium" sounds pretty good to me.) :)

They didn't have a secondary cauldron there during the Rio 2007 Pan American Games, though, had they?

No.And I don't think it should occur in 2016.

This might not be the case in 2016, though, since they are renovating Havelange to greatly increase the seating capacity.

(And I don't know about you, but "Pele Olympic Stadium" sounds pretty good to me.) :)

I prefer "Estádio Olímpico do Rio de Janeiro" or "Rio Olympic Stadium". Pele should give name to any stadium of the World Cup. He never won an Olympic medal. He surely will carry the torch into maracanã, but should not be the one who will light the cauldron.

First live shots of the Cauldron in the stadium this morning, a background view...

The thing almost disappear into the vastness of the 80 000 seater. Also the flames are turned down on 'low' heat - But its only early morning! Hopefully they'll crank up the Barbeque later on tonight!

First live shots of the Cauldron in the stadium this morning, a background view...

The thing almost disappear into the vastness of the 80 000 seater. Also the flames are turned down on 'low' heat - But its only early morning! Hopefully they'll crank up the Barbeque later on tonight!

I don't think they can ever turn the cauldron on 'high' heat with spectators comfort and view in mind as described by the journalist in the article I posted earlier

It really is lost in the crowd - basically shoved in an alleyway at ground level. Considering it's this small surely they could have found a spot for it on the in-field. It truly is the worst decision of an otherwise superb games so far.

I don't think they can ever turn the cauldron on 'high' heat with spectators comfort and view in mind as described by the journalist in the article I posted earlier

Must be part of the concept and design brief too. ;)

Surely they are going to have to move the thing again before the closing ceremony, doesn't seem in the most prominent positioning come time to extinquish the thing...... again

Must be part of the concept and design brief too. ;)

Surely they are going to have to move the thing again before the closing ceremony, doesn't seem in the most prominent positioning come time to extinquish the thing...... again

At least they can boast again that this is the most low-energy cauldron ever ;)

Archived